PDA

View Full Version : Should I get bangs or not?

svehex
February 16th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I have almost all my hair the same length. It's about mid back now, slightly wavy in some places, but looks mostly straight. There's a lot of it, and I have bad shoulders. So I end up ina simple high pony, or a folded pony every day. I always wear my hair pulled back, and I'm getting bored with it. So I'm contemplating getting long bangs, instead of having everything the same length. Just to give me some variation, and some interest at the front. What do you think?

Here's a picture of me from the front, so you can see what I mean. I took it today, and I have it in a folded pony, using a headband for an elastic.

http://lindaursin.net/images/bangsornot2.jpg

lapushka
February 16th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I wouldn't do it. It would make your face smaller, and to me that's not the thing you need, especially not thick bangs. A side-swept fringe... maybe.

spidermom
February 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I think bangs would look just fine on you. Don't get the blunt, straight across the forehead kind, though. That would squash your face down.

This is the kind I have - sort of wispy and subtly layered.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/bangs-1.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/bangs-1.jpg.html)

truepeacenik
February 16th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Think about what you would do with those bangs.
I got some cut in, sideswept and wispy, some years ago. 2009 or 2010. I self maintained for a short while and then let them go. Now I have an obnoxious layer under my ears/mid neck. They escape all updos and require additional pins.
With my hair color, no pins truly blend in, so I'm not a fan of them.

Chiquita Banana
February 16th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I had bangs for the first half of my life and do like how they make my forehead appear smaller (I've got a large one.)... but they sure were a pain in the butt to maintain. About 4 years ago, I decided to try them again and immediately regretted it. If I slept wrong, they'd be sticking up in the morning and I'd have to take extra time to wet them down and style them. They show the greasies faster. And growing them out takes creativity and patience. I much prefer not having bangs. I certainly don't think you need them - but it's a personal preference. If you try them out and end up not liking them, you can always grow them out!

turtlelover
February 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I don't think you have the sort of face that needs bangs, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't look good if you had them. If you want them, go for it!

lapushka
February 16th, 2014, 09:29 AM
If I slept wrong, they'd be sticking up in the morning and I'd have to take extra time to wet them down and style them. They show the greasies faster. And growing them out takes creativity and patience.

Very good points! You can't sleep on them. They get greasy in a snap, and growing them out is a pain in the butt! I totally agree!

ExpectoPatronum
February 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Man all these people talking down bangs. I personally feel I like better with them than without them and don't find them too hard to maintain at all. I cut them myself and wash them as necessary or wet them if they stick out all weird ways.

That said, it just goes to show that bangs work for some people and not for others. Have you ever had bangs in the past? If you did, how did you look? You can also try clipping your hair in such a way to give the appearance of bangs just to see how you would look. I wouldn't wear it out of the house, but just as a way to see if bangs would flatter your face. I'm not very good at visualizing things like that in my head, but I do feel wispy bangs are more forgiving than a blunt cut bang.

Anywhere
February 16th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I think you're blessed with a smaller forehead so you can pull off no-bangs very well, but if you did want them I'd also put my vote towards either wispy straight across bangs or side bangs, or even face framing layers that are longish but that you keep out of your ponytail to get some "interest" around your face.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I didn't think I had the face shape for bangs but tried them on a whim once and loved having the change for awhile! It was just fun to have something new. And they looked waaaay better than I thought they would! They worked as straight across when they were shorter, then turned to a sideswept bang after a month or so. But, they did require maintenance...both trims and some work in the morning. They also gave my part a break as it was starting to widen. Growing them out is a pain when they get too long to be a bang but can't tuck behind an ear. Now they make a nice layer around my shoulder and I like that! Overall I'm glad I tried them but I'm not getting them again soon...they also get greasy faster than the rest of my hair!

Weewah
February 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
If you don't mind the extra upkeep then go for it!:) I like bangs because it gives my hair more style, but they can be annoying/finicky sometimes.

mrs_coffee
February 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I cut bangs and grow them out pretty regularly. I like the way they look. When I get tired of them, I grow them out.

divinedobbie
February 16th, 2014, 01:41 PM
If you did get bangs, I'd say that wispy straight across or swept bangs would suit you better than long bangs but I don't think you're the type of person that needs bangs overall.

I've had bangs all my life and they're not that hard to upkeep as others are making it seem. Yes you need to cut them every 4 -6 weeks but you can easily do that yourself. As for not being able to sleep on them, I never had a problem with that but it probably depends on hair type. And lastly, the greasies. I admit that they are more of a problem with bangs than without but I can't say for sure since I was washing daily when I had bangs so my hair was overproducing sebum anyway. Now that I've been stretching washes, my front hair pieces look fresh even the third day, but I've been growing out my bangs for a year (Not because they're high upkeep but because I feel they don't suit me).

hairpleasegrow
February 16th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Bangs would look great on you, you have a wonderful forehead that is long enough to host them (I have a very low forehead I wish bangs would look good on me they just don't i learned that the hard way:(). I think it would compliment your gorgeous eye color too.

It is a huge commitment (the grow out is a long and painful process) good luck with your decision!!

Horrorpops
February 16th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I LOVE my bangs, and believe they can look good on nearly everyone given the chance! However I second previous posters regarding pinning hair back to simulate your chosen bangs and also perhaps wispy or side swept might flatter your face more. I've had nearly every type of bangs you can inagine - left side, right side, thick blunt "doll" bangs, wispy bangs, short and then over my eyes bangs and personally if you typicall wear your hair up side swept ones are more practical. I found front styled ones required more styling in the morning, more trims and also could look just plain weird some days when the rest of my hair was pulled back (particularly thick, blunt bang).

Side swept bangs can also grow longer before needing trims and I felt I could pin them back easier if needed for a slick bun/gym/ect. :)

But really, I think just go with what you love and if you dislike it they aren't that bad to grow out.

Hope this helped!

SkyChild
February 16th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I agree, try a wispy side-swept one as it'll be a lot more forgiving than straight across blunt fringe. Then if you don't like it, it's quite easy to grow into a longer layer. I actually prefer my fringe grown out and worn as mini chin-length layers, so maybe if you don't like it, that will still be an option for you.

DarleneH
February 16th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I think they would look great on you (says the girl too chicken to cut hers). Here is some inspiration if you like checking out pics:

http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2013/04/25-celebrity-haircuts-that-will-make-you-want-bangs#slide=1

patienceneeded
February 16th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I think you look lovely without bangs, but will probably look just as lovely with bangs. If you want them and don't mind the upkeep, why not try them?

I have side-swept bangs and like them just fine. When I get annoyed with them or don't want them I pin them up or wear a headscarf. I do wash my bangs every morning and blow-dry them. I also run a straightening iron over them very briefly. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes total. I have found I can stretch my whole-hair washes up to 5 days if I wash my bangs daily, my hair doesn't get that oily look when the front is clean. Odd, but it works for me.

spidermom
February 16th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I don't find bangs a big hassle at all. If they need to be washed before the rest of my hair, I leave them out of the shower cap and wash them. It takes about a minute. Then it takes another minute or two to blow-dry them, or I'll use a little gel and push them back and to one side so that they fall in sort of a swoop across my forehead. This style gives my face a little height.

I also have a small flat iron just for bangs that I use when I wake up with whacky bangs that need some styling. I use the lowest setting and it takes maybe 3 minutes total from plugging in the flat iron to being finished.

spidermom
February 16th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I don't find bangs a big hassle at all. If they need to be washed before the rest of my hair, I leave them out of the shower cap and wash them. It takes about a minute. Then it takes another minute or two to blow-dry them, or I'll use a little gel and push them back and to one side so that they fall in sort of a swoop across my forehead. This style gives my face a little height.

I also have a small flat iron just for bangs that I use when I wake up with whacky bangs that need some styling. I use the lowest setting and it takes maybe 3 minutes total from plugging in the flat iron to being finished.

RoseofCimarron
February 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I agree that bangs can be a hassle, at least they were for me! Especially when I really wanted them out of my face.

I think that you look beautiful without bangs, but you would look beautiful with them too. So, if you want a change so badly you can taste it, go for it (coming from a girl who has not changed her hair in 7 years, except for it growing). In my humble opinion, I think that wispy or side-swept bangs would be best for your face shape.