PDA

View Full Version : Biotin and weight gain

diddiedaisy
February 16th, 2014, 04:48 AM
I just wondered if anyone else had gained weight on biotin.

I have been taking 5mg for about 6 weeks now and have gained 5lbs. Now for me this great as I lost 20lb last year for no reason at all. I was at my ideal weight so I couldn't afford to lose it. I had tests with the doctor and all was fine, so I was referred to a dietician. She thought it could be my thyroid even though my tests were normal. I do have an intolerance to wheat and gluton also. I was given calorie drinks to add 500 calories to my diet. But this made no difference.

Upon on googling though I discovered that coliacs need biotin as they can't naturally digest it, so I think what has happened is that it has improved my digestive system and I am now properly digesting my food.

The he strange thing is many people use biotin as a weight loss aid!!!

sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Magalo
February 16th, 2014, 06:17 AM
I'm pretty sure biotin is given to improve appetite. It definetly wouldn't work for weight loss. It can explain weight gain though if you've been eating more because of it.

diddiedaisy
February 16th, 2014, 06:42 AM
That's the thing, I haven't been eating anymore than usual!!

longNred
February 16th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Yup, me too! Definitely made me gain! Not by eating more, I noticeabley felt bigger/bloated, etc... Not good, not good at all.

turtlelover
February 16th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Biotin actually tends to REDUCE blood sugar, so I suspect it is coincidence and that something else is going on w/ your body. If I were you, I'd check your diet for sodium fluctuations. That can be the more likely culprit to cause water weight flux of several pounds. Also, if you're doing a lot of exercise, glycogen water storage in muscles and excess carb consumption can also cause water weight gains.

Weewah
February 16th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I've been taking biotin since December and I've gained some weight this winter, but I've been blaming it on my sedentary lifestyle and ordering more delivery, it's too cold out there!

When my bottle is all used up I'll take a break from it and see what happens:o

Horrorpops
February 16th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I didn't notice any weight gain when I was taking biotin. I second the idea that it is probably due to something other than the biotin but it couldn't hurt to ask your gp/doctor next time you visit. I have some friends looking to gain much needed weight so I might suggest this to them in the meantime. Maybe (if you feel like conducting an experiment) try not taking biotin for a few weeks and keeping your exercise/diet the same and see if you lose weight - if so, it's more likely to be biotin related. Very interested for more perspectives on this. :)

Lyv
February 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I don't think biotin causes weight gain if it did I doubt my doctor would have ok'd it when I was trying to lose weight. If anything maybe it can case you to retain more water.

diddiedaisy
February 17th, 2014, 07:56 AM
It's definitely the biotin. If you google it, it seems quite common amongst those taking high doses of 5mg and above.

I'm not complaining I need to gain at least another 7 pounds.

Downside for me though is that it hasn't sped up my hair growth which is why I'm taking it in the first place lol. Typical

oatmealpie
February 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Wow, maybe that's why I recently put on 5 pounds. I haven't made any changes to my diet or exercise and I was maintaining before. I started taking biotin regularly a couple of weeks ago and since then have put on 5 pounds. I haven't noticed any increased hair growth and was happy with my weight before, so I think I'll put aside the biotin for now.

ositarosita
February 17th, 2014, 10:43 AM
** sorry wrong thread ... silly laptop

Hootenanny
February 17th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I don't want to scare you, but there was a member on this site (can't remember who, unfortunately) who began suffering kidney failure due to taking high doses of biotin. One symptom of the kidneys being stressed is water retention/water weight gain/bloating. I would suggest reducing your dose of biotin for a couple weeks and seeing what happens. It might not be the biotin at all, but better safe than sorry.