PDA

View Full Version : Does steam damage hair?

Rachxx
February 16th, 2014, 03:02 AM
I've always wondered if when I am using the steam setting when ironing clothes if the steam goes up near my face would it damage the hairs around it?
I'm also asking because today when my mum was ironing she sat the iron facing me, and although I was about a metre away, a huge gust of steam went in my face and blew my hair back. I'm assuming that because my face didn't feel burnt my hair wouldn't be damaged, right?

kitana97
February 16th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Hmm, I would think that it can't be that bad. Saunas are all steam and I've never noticed anything awry with my hair afterwards. As long as the temp isn't too hot ...

Weewah
February 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I always go by the rule of thumb that if your skin can handle the heat without being painful, then your hair can handle it too.

Rachxx
February 16th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Today I put my hand in front of the steam on it and it didn't hurt, so I don't think my hair got damaged. :) But from now on I wont use the steam setting just in case.

allmixedup88
February 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I always go by the rule of thumb that if your skin can handle the heat without being painful, then your hair can handle it too.

I never thought of that, but that is a perfect sentiment. I will live by this rule of thumb. Thank You! ;)

clioariane
February 17th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I don't think so, as long as you don't apply heat directly to your hair it should be OK :)

duchess67
February 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I don't think it would cause any damage, infact steam helps to open up pores, like they use for a facial. I use a heat therapy wrap after oiling my scalp and hair, it helps to penetrate oils more.