PDA

View Full Version : What is shampoo bar and what are the benefits?

Leslieslsa
February 15th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I have heard people talking about shampoo bars on here. I have never heard of such a thing and am wanting more information. Can anyone help me?

Chromis
February 15th, 2014, 12:04 PM
It is a special sort of soap, used for hair. We have an excellent thread on shampoo bars which I highly recommend: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

In2wishin
February 15th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I have heard people talking about shampoo bars on here. I have never heard of such a thing and am wanting more information. Can anyone help me?

A shampoo bar is a lye and oil soap that is made with hair friendly oils (not to be confused with a solid shampoo which is regular shampoo ingredients made without the water). I have never used one, but I have a number of recipes in my soapmaking books. The main advantage is that you are not using the harsher cleansers and preservatives found in typical shampoos. The main disadvantage is that they tend to be more alkaline and you need to use something acidic like vinegar or citric acid as a rinse to balance out the pH.

Leslieslsa
February 15th, 2014, 12:30 PM
It is a special sort of soap, used for hair. We have an excellent thread on shampoo bars which I highly recommend: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

Thanks. For the record, I did search but for some reason I never come up with results!

Leafy
February 15th, 2014, 12:56 PM
A shampoo bar is a lye and oil soap that is made with hair friendly oils (not to be confused with a solid shampoo which is regular shampoo ingredients made without the water). I have never used one, but I have a number of recipes in my soapmaking books. The main advantage is that you are not using the harsher cleansers and preservatives found in typical shampoos. The main disadvantage is that they tend to be more alkaline and you need to use something acidic like vinegar or citric acid as a rinse to balance out the pH.

I don't have any soap making books, but from what you have said - I beg a question about shampoo bars also. Maybe you can help?
Would it be possible to make a pH balanced, hair friendly shampoo bar? I believe the hair pH is 3.5 - 4-5?
I've only started dabbling in colour at training, and have not fully dived into yet, so I can't be sure without double checking.

With thorough knowledge of ingredient uses and effects, pH and soapmaking - I wonder if this would be possible?
And what about a claryfying one?

I personally would be interested in this, as it would take up far less space than numerous shampoo bottles which I will rarely use, as I plan on CO washing after I have used up my stash.
I'd like something gentle and something as a just-in-case as a back up, and I think this would be a good solution if possible.

I, however, have not even heard of shampoo bars myself before, so I do not know. I've only gone as far as hairsprays which I only use rarely. In what I feel are dire situations. :laugh:

furnival
February 15th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks. For the record, I did search but for some reason I never come up with results!
Sometimes it's easier to type "long hair community" into Google along with whatever you're searching for.

Chromis
February 15th, 2014, 01:35 PM

I'd have linked you to the excellent article too, but for some reason I couldn't get that to come up myself!