PDA

View Full Version : How to wear hair while giving birth

sunflowersmiles
February 13th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I am a few months away from giving birth, but it just hit me that I need to think about how to keep it out of my way. It is just reaching hip and will be nearing tailbone when I give birth. I don't want to have to think about it once labor gets more intense. Any solid buns or braid ideas?

picklepie
February 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Congrats on your new one on the way! What's your usual get-it-out-of-the-way style? I smiled when I read your last sentence-- I thought, oh honey, you won't be thinking about your hair at that point, no matter what you do with it! :)

HazelBug
February 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
A braided bun might work out well. Basically anything that gets and keeps it out of your way is best. When I was in labor my hair was pretty short. I thought I would want to try to keep the bangs out of my face. But in reality it never occoured to me.

sunflowersmiles
February 13th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Natulis is my go to, but it falls out when I lay down because I dont use any pins or a hair stick with it. If I am not going crazy woman I was thinking a french or dutch braid would be best.

MaryO
February 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Sorry but my first thought was that that will probably be way down the list of things you're going to be thinking about at the moment but good on you for thinking of it in advance! :-)

I'd imagine a type of crown braid would be out of the way and not come down either?

Good luck!

Bodhimama
February 13th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I have been wondering the same thing, but am 38 weeks. With my first birth I just kept my hair in a tight super high bun with spin pins. They held amazingly well for the first 20ish hours, then the bun started to loosen and my sister decided to "help" me by trying to redo it...in transition. I wasn't having any part of that, and it just got left down. I was laboring in a birth tub so, it got half wet. I later decided to get out to push. By the time I delivered, my hair was matted to the back of my head!! It really was horrible.

If you labor quickly then I think spin pins work great. You also need to consider what kind of birth you are planning. If you plan on getting an epidural, think about how you feel laying back on a braid etc. because you can't really even sit up or move around and you might be there for awhile. I know that hair seems like something trivial during such a major situation, but can really make you lose focus if you plan on birthing naturally.

Venefica
February 13th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I recommend pigails, they are protective so the hair will not get tangled, and they are usually fairly comfortable to lay down on, you need a style you can lay down with without discomfort and at the same time have something that will prevent your hair from tangling, as it often will when it get sweaty. Another alternative is to wear your hair in a simple bun on the top of your head so you can lay down on your back and side with no problems. According to old superstitions a woman should have her hair loose when giving birth to help the body loosen up and make the birth go more smoothly, if you are a follower of such beliefs I recommend getting several sot scrunchies and making a scrunchie braid, you just put a scrunchie at about a bandwidth or so internals down your entire length, then the hair is not braided, it is loose but still prevented from tangling, a leather wrap like long haired bikers often use will also serve this function.

ooglipoo
February 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM
For both of my births, I went with pigtails. The first, I had them in already, as I was sleeping and woke up to the urge to push... Second time, I went in ahead, and had my kit ready. In order to entertain myself while I waited, I did Dutch braids. Both held for the labor (granted it was short) and I kept them in overnight, so I got to go home in them, and then brushed out, showed, and was good to go.

Henna Girl
February 14th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy. My hair was the last thing I was thinking about while in labour with all my 4 children. I think I just left it down, I am not even sure of that. You will be more comfortable laying down on piggy tails or a braids than a bun. Your hair will get messy, I guarantee that. Best wishes. :)

Scarlet_Heart
February 14th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I think I had a french braid. And that worked out fine. Congratulations! Wishing you a fast and easy delivery!

ladyfey
February 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Another vote for pigtails, you have no idea what positions you will end up in. If you end up needing a C-section, braids will be better than a bun.

Loviatar
February 14th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I've been on a midwifery placement all week and every single woman had her hair down! It went everywhere. My vote would be for twin braids, and if you want to lift them up so they cross over your head like a faux crown braid, that might be a good idea. If the pins holding them there bother you, take them down and leave the braids hanging. If the braids bother you hanging loose, tie them up in a scrunchie out of the way. Get your birth partner to adjust them for you if you're unable to do so (have a practice in advance with the partner so they know what you mean).

Congratulations !

SkyChild
February 15th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I'd go for some kind of crown braid, pinned securely. That way you can be any position you like (birth doesn't always work best lying on your back) and it's not going to make any difference.

I'd second what Loviatar says about making sure your birth partner has a "Hair Management Plan" :P
Congratulations and I hope it all goes well for you!

Spindle
February 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Mine was midback length ended up in a half pulled through ponytail- easy to redo really quickly and didn't get too wet in the pool

ETA: I should add that there was no way I could have handled any pins or anything like a stick poking my head- you become ultra sensitive and need comfort!

Ambystoma
February 15th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Congratulations sunflowersmiles and Bodhimama! I've been thinking about this too (4 weeks to go over here :)) and figured a simple braid might be the best option for me, with a spare stick in case I want to put it into a braided bun when I go into the tub. French/dutch braids tend to slip out at the top unless I do them tightly, and my hair has turned into a real escape artist re: buns since it's quite slippy these days, and crown braids - well, aside from the logistics of trying to even get one to happen successfully in between contractions :laugh:, I've found they create some pretty crazy tangles when taking them out, so I imagine if one got wet it would be a real hassle to deal with when tired.

sunflowersmiles
February 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I have a hard enough time doing a crown braid without contractions. I don't care what I look like, it isn't like I am birthing the royal prince (well he is to me, but he is my baby). I think twin braids will probably work well from what you guys say.

makeminea99
February 15th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I think my hair was down with both my boys, but no 1 was done and dusted in 6 hours and my hair was just skimming the tops of my shoulders, and no 2 I didn't really labour as he had to be delivered by emergency C section, bless him! If you've time to do it in advance, I'd definitely go for two pigtails, or possibly do it Elizabethan Style - hair taping, I mean! Once that's up it should stay for a couple of days, and because your hair is essentially sewn to your head, it's really comfy - no pins!!
Congratulations, and good luck!! XXXX

Parelli4life
February 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
I guess I would think braided, bun or crown braid? If you like pigtails perhaps go for them! Sounds easy enough to me at a pressured time. Or go for the princess leia look lol. Congrats!

tlover
February 22nd, 2014, 12:10 PM
were trying to get pregnant and I'm thinking of doing the faux Crown braid like torrin does, with ribbons or what it's called, but thats only if I like it (I'm going to try some out and see what I like).
I was thinking with ribbons (or what it's called) you don't have to worry about pins and so on.

If I don't like it I Think I'll just do some braid.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Twin french braids worked for me.

Luna12345
February 22nd, 2014, 04:39 PM
My hair was almost waist length when i gave birth ( it's much shorter now. Lol)
I had it in a high loose bun and it stayed in place. You can also braid it and then put it up into a bun.