PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Spray on Hair

White Lavender
February 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I'm going to Cuba so thought I'd get a natural insect repellant. I picked up 'Nature's Essential Garden Outdoor Spray' which should keep the bugs at bay but I'm also thinking of applying this to my scalp and / or hair. What do you think? Here are the ingredients:

Witch hazel, distilled water, castor bean oil, non-GMO soya bean oil, lavender oil, catnip oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil

Madora
February 13th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Witch hazel is an astringent. I would let anything near my scalp. Better to wear a white cotton scarf..or hat.

sumidha
February 13th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Most of the essential oil based bug sprays I've used needed to be reapplied more often than the nasty DDT ones, so it would probably leave build up in your hair? I don't think I've ever gotten mosquito bites on my scalp before, sounds horrible...

Chiquita Banana
February 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I made an all-natural insect repellent several years ago using Vinegar of the Four Thieves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thieves_Vinegar). It was a base of ACV with the herbs listed and you'd steep that for a couple of weeks and then add I added chopped garlic for a few days and then strained the garlic out. Then I bottled it up. I used it just like an ACV rinse over my head and it worked great while camping in the deep woods. I would also rub it on my body every day. I smelled a bit like lasagna... but hey - it kept the bugs far away!

White Lavender
February 20th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I meant using it (sparingly) as a hair/scalp product, not as a insect repellant for my scalp.
Anyway, less than a week til I'm in Cuba! Yay!
I'm from a cold, dry climate (prairies of Canada) so the warmth and humidity of Cuba will be quite the change for my hair and skin.
Should I wet / soak my hair with clean water and then seal with coconut oil before going into salt water / chlorinated pool water to protect it?
I plan to shower in the evenings after being done with the beach for the day. I will do a conditioner only wash. Does that sound alright?