PDA

View Full Version : I want to have less shed hairs.

FallingDarkness
February 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM
On average I lose about 40 hairs per day (I started counting) and I know that there's oils out there to help me with that but rumor has it that it darkens new growth? My hair is naturally blonde so idk how dark the new growth would be and if my hair color would be preserved. How do I lose less hair on a daily basis? Advice is much needed.

Madora
February 13th, 2014, 06:10 PM
40 hairs a day is nothing to be worried about. Average is 80 to 100.

If you're still worried, just be sure that you're combing carefully (always detangle gently from the bottom up to the scalp).

Also be sure you're eating healthy and wearing your hair up to protect the ends.

I have no experience with oil so cannot help you in that regard.

Anje
February 13th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Don't we all?

ETA: OK, that was profoundly unhelpful... In my experience, some wash methods will cause you to shred less than others. I shed less with WO, for example. But you need to balance this against how your hair does with the various methods (my ends dried out with WO). Honestly, 40 hairs/day is admirable. You might not be able to improve significantly on it.

Aderyn
February 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
40 hairs is hardly anything to worry about, especially considering your thickness, so I'm a bit confused as to why you want to shed even less as that is on the low end of the spectrum as is. Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Just generally being kind to your scalp and being gentle when manipulating your hair will help. Wearing my hair up and using shampoo bars has tended to decrease my shedding, though only minimally.

Marbid
February 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM
I went wo on the scalp and co on the length first, did not mind it but did nothing for my shedding, then i did co on all the length.... That increased my shedding and gave me itchy scalp, now i do cwc. Personally, my shedding decreased dramatically after i avoided conditioner on my scalp. And used only shampoo... Also, i minimize hair manipulation ( only detangle in the morning and bun for the rest of the day, sleep cap without brushing out, detangle when morning comes) and am gentle to not pull out any hairs that would otherwise fall on their own.

I might take it to an extreme, maybe...... ( i got paranoid because of a terminal length calculator telling me i was doomed to be no longer than hip length hair )

But well, that's what i did. Brought my sheds from 136 ( average) a day to shedding around 50 hairs a day. Sometimes after hair experimentation to learn a new braid or bun i will easily loose above 100 hairs in a single day. Then i braid and bun my hair and leave it untouched for up to 3 days for rest and my shedding can go as low as the 30s...

But YMMV.... My shedding seems to be greatly affected by hair manipulation more than the chemicals of conditioner or shampoo... You might be more affected by chemicals... Experiment and find out.

jeanniet
February 13th, 2014, 10:30 PM
If you have iii thickness, 40 hairs is really nothing. I probably shed twice that on average. In contrast to Marbid, I find that CO reduces the amount I shed over shampooing, which just goes to show that you need to see what method is best for your hair. As far as oils go, I think that's probably also something that's individual.