PDA

View Full Version : I just flat out ripped a bunch of mats out? What can I do?

Leslieslsa
February 13th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I got angry and my hair was matted, I went to comb it with my horned comb and ripped a bunch of hair and knots out. Is there anything I can do to help damage control? I didn't mean to and don't usually do things like this but I was just under a lot of stress and didn't know what else to do. I got so frustrated.

Madora
February 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM
You can get around tangles if you wear your hair up.

If you wear it down, even occasionally, you need to be proactive and detangle it gently during the day. Don't wait to detangle at night.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, roll the tangled part in a foam curler and wait until your anger has cooled, THEN gently work the tangle out with your fingers.

Rio040113
February 13th, 2014, 02:19 PM
S&D any broken hairs to try and stop them splitting, oil it lightly and put it an updo then try and forget about it. I hope you feel better soon :flower:

woodswanderer
February 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I second the being proactive about detangling as you go, but you could try to put a smidge of conditioner on the matted spot and work it out with your fingers...one or a few hairs as you go.

Anje
February 13th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Damage is done now. In the future, don't detangle when you're highly emotional.

lapushka
February 13th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Damage is done now. In the future, don't detangle when you're highly emotional.

This. ^^ I don't think there's anything you can do now. What's done is done, no bringing the ripped out hair back.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Just make a resolve that you will not do this again, and get into the habit of treating your hair gently.

RapunzelKat
February 13th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I've been there :flower: I'd suggest a good S&D session to get rid of any damaged ends, maybe a good oiling or deep conditioning, then chalk it up to experience. My hair has survived a fair few temper tantrums, I'm sure yours will too. :)
Hope you feel better!

Madora
February 13th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Just make a resolve that you will not do this again, and get into the habit of treating your hair gently.

Yes, this ^^^ to the max!! Gentleness is one of the key ingredients for beautiful, healthy hair.

Aderyn
February 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Definitely don't start messing with your hair when you're in a highly emotional state, can be a difficult habit to start, but definitely one worth getting into. What's done is done, best not to dwell on it and be excessively down on yourself (that will only make things worse), but definitely take care to be gentle with your hair. Definitely do an S&D of the hair left after ripping it out.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I can understand. My hair tangles so horribly that after years of dealing with it, and trying to be gentle, and doing everything possible to prevent tangles, it does get frustrating. It seems like I'm always in a hurry, and I'm not as gentle as I need to be a lot of the time.

Belle126
February 14th, 2014, 09:28 AM
I don't have anything to add except to say I've done that too when I've been frustrated. I'll probably even have to get mine trimmed up because of what I have done by ripping the knots out. I guess what is done is done. I'm trying to learn to be a bit more patient with my hair now. Not much help I know but it's the best advice I can give.

ravenreed
February 14th, 2014, 09:30 AM
If your hair is very tangled, it sometimes helps to coat it with conditioner and then detangle while the conditioner is still in. I hope life calms down for you.

MeganE
February 14th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I use the CTO (cut tangles out) technique or the Tangle Chop technique, or whatever is the best way to refer to what I do. I may be the only one around here that does it, but it might help you.

I detangle, when my detangler snags on something, I slide out the unknotted hairs and just "flat out" cut the rest out. Repeat.

Been doing it for over a year, and I have a lot less now. Rather than relying on your vision to cut out damaged areas, you just comb. When it snags, you just cut.

Areas that are prone to tangling and damage will get snagged in the comb or tangle teezer or brush or whatever.

And I found that after my first big purge session where I cut out all the areas prone to snagging, I just have to maintain it now.

I always have scissors when I detangle, and I always cut out anything that snarles. Haven't noticed any loss of thickness, hair seems happier overall.

Here's my original post with the idea:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109922.html

ETA: Also, I'd suggest trying to get in the habit of bunning when you're frustrated. It doesn't have to be tangle free to go in a bun, just has to be out of your way until you're calm enough to detangle. It takes patience to do it without causing damage.

I have also gotten frustrated with knots and that was what led to my first CTO session, just flat out I don't give a **** frustration, I just want this out. I've gotten a bit less reckless with it though, last night for example it was bothering me and I just stuck it in a bun and ignored it for a few hours until I could deal with it rationally again.

ETAETA: If I were in your shoes, I would assume I had a ton of damaged ends in my hair right now that would breed with healthy hairs and cause more damage. I'd sit right down with my brush or comb and start combing, finding knot prone areas, and finding the damage and cutting it out.

jacqueline101
February 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Definitely don't start messing with your hair when you're in a highly emotional state, can be a difficult habit to start, but definitely one worth getting into. What's done is done, best not to dwell on it and be excessively down on yourself (that will only make things worse), but definitely take care to be gentle with your hair. Definitely do an S&D of the hair left after ripping it out.

I agree 100% with this advice.

ravenreed
February 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I snip out really bad tangles as well. I will try to save what I can, but the worst of it gets snipped. I find that hair that gets that tangled usually ends up damaged or split anyway.

I use the CTO (cut tangles out) technique or the Tangle Chop technique, or whatever is the best way to refer to what I do. I may be the only one around here that does it, but it might help you.

I detangle, when my detangler snags on something, I slide out the unknotted hairs and just "flat out" cut the rest out. Repeat.

Been doing it for over a year, and I have a lot less now. Rather than relying on your vision to cut out damaged areas, you just comb. When it snags, you just cut.

Areas that are prone to tangling and damage will get snagged in the comb or tangle teezer or brush or whatever.

And I found that after my first big purge session where I cut out all the areas prone to snagging, I just have to maintain it now.

I always have scissors when I detangle, and I always cut out anything that snarles. Haven't noticed any loss of thickness, hair seems happier overall.

Here's my original post with the idea:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109922.html

ETA: Also, I'd suggest trying to get in the habit of bunning when you're frustrated. It doesn't have to be tangle free to go in a bun, just has to be out of your way until you're calm enough to detangle. It takes patience to do it without causing damage.

I have also gotten frustrated with knots and that was what led to my first CTO session, just flat out I don't give a **** frustration, I just want this out. I've gotten a bit less reckless with it though, last night for example it was bothering me and I just stuck it in a bun and ignored it for a few hours until I could deal with it rationally again.

ETAETA: If I were in your shoes, I would assume I had a ton of damaged ends in my hair right now that would breed with healthy hairs and cause more damage. I'd sit right down with my brush or comb and start combing, finding knot prone areas, and finding the damage and cutting it out.

MinderMutsig
February 15th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I snip out really bad tangles as well. I will try to save what I can, but the worst of it gets snipped. I find that hair that gets that tangled usually ends up damaged or split anyway.

I also do this. I hardly ever have knots and if I do there's always a damaged hair in the middle. Cutting them off prevents further tangling.

On the other hand if your problem is ripping through tangles out of frustration it might not be a good idea to have scissors in your hand.

ravenreed
February 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I can see where that would go downhill fast.

I also do this. I hardly ever have knots and if I do there's always a damaged hair in the middle. Cutting them off prevents further tangling.

On the other hand if your problem is ripping through tangles out of frustration it might not be a good idea to have scissors in your hand.

truepeacenik
February 15th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I am of two minds, here.
I de-dreaded locs, at about half length. I did but part.
That was slllooooowwwww, over 10 days, and took a lot of slippery thin conditioner.

Now with parallel hair, I can usually isolate just a few strands actually holding the knots. I will snip those after some attempts to free them full stop.

Cederin
February 15th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Ah, been there. I suggest a good S&D session and after that, always wear a wide toothed comb with you! That way you can detangle whenever you want during the day, when you have 5 minutes over to do it :o For deep conditioning I really recommend a hot oil treatment with coconut oil!

QMacrocarpa
February 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I find a tangle teezer (http://www.tangleteezer.com/index.php) gentler than a comb. I still have combs, but rarely use them now.