PDA

View Full Version : Scalp irritation from biotin? Or from starting other LHC methods? Perplexed...

HaileComfort
February 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Hi there! I've been on the forum and using some LHC hair care methods for about 4-6 weeks:

*CWC 2x/week - sulfate & silicone free
*have only used my blowfrier once or twice in that time - on low heat
*threw away my hairbrush and got a wide tooth seamless comb
*being more mindful of styling & mechanical wear, etc...
*started a hair/skin/nails supplement (biotin, silicon & collagen)

Anyway... in the last week or so, my scalp has been feeling a little irritated. Not exactly itchy, just a little… irritated, like a fresh sunburn. I have been using the same shampoo and conditioner longer than just the 6 weeks I’ve been on LHC, and washing frequency hasn’t changed (just that first pre-conditioning has been added). The ways I wear my hair during the day and for sleep have not changed, just how I secure them them (more sticks & spin pins, less elastic) so it doesn’t seem that follicles being pulled in new directions could explain it…

I’m wondering if irritation could be caused by new growth, due to the supplements? My strands lean a little coarse, and thickness is average – but the growth over my scalp has always been thicker in the back, thinner above forehead/on top of head. It’s an unfortunate place to be a little thinner… plus I have a high forehead, ugh… it’s like male pattern baldness! (It’s really not that bad… but my scalp is visible a little around the part if I center part and then inspect myself closely) I’ve always been bothered by it, but mostly feared that it could get worse with age. I currently feel like the thin areas are maybe thinner than they were a few years ago (I recently turned 30, had a baby a couple of years ago, etc…). So ANYWAY… those same thin areas are what is feeling irritated, makes me wonder if my scalp responding to biotin could be the problem? I tried minoxodil in my early 20s, when I first realized I was thicker in back that on top, the irritation that cause felt a lot like this – I stopped using it after about a week.

Anyway, trying not to ramble on too much… has anyone else experience anything similar after beginning LHC methods?

Thanks all! LOVING this forum! :)

Panth
February 13th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Are you putting conditioner on your scalp (accidentally or otherwise) in your CWC routine?

New growth doesn't feel like sunburn.

Hootenanny
February 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM
You say that you are using sticks more often than before. There was a recent thread on how certain woods can cause skin irritation. (Let's see... here it is: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120012 ) Could you be having a reaction to the wood in some of your sticks?

ravenreed
February 13th, 2014, 12:59 PM
It could be the supplement or you could be developing a sensitivity to your shampoo and/or conditioner.

HaileComfort
February 13th, 2014, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=New growth doesn't feel like sunburn.[/QUOTE]
Thank you! Good to know.... but darn ;)

Hmm... I may try a new S&C as a first step. If that's no help, will stop or decrease the supplement (currently at 5,000 biotin)... did a little Googling and that was no help. Saw something somewhere suggesting that scalp irritation w/ biotin could be due to an allergy - but it does seem to me that the only way the supplement could irritate only my scalp would be growth - because wouldn't an allergic reaction on skin impact all skin...?

The two sticks I use most often are acrylics from Ead. I also have a couple of his wooden sticks (curly maple & a not-sure-what) and have used those a little... if not the wood, I believe that the lacquer could cause irritation! It's dissipated now, but when I first got them, the chemical smell of the varnish was still very strong. But then, I wear sticks strictly at the back of my head and irritation is definitely just at the top. It's BAD today too, ugh... making me crazy, I want to leave work and go home to put an ice pack on it!

No conditioner on my scalp - do you think that could be causing the problem Panth? Or do you think starting to condition scalp could help by adding some moisture up there?

It just occurred to me - I did wash this morning, and now here I am having the worse day yet... hmm... thank you all for your thoughts! DEFINITELY going to change my products, even though I've been using these (Alba) for a few months.

Firefox7275
February 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Irritation does not necessarily equal allergy, allergic contact dermatitis and irritant contact dermatitis are separate but related conditions. Mild allergic reactions can initially present on areas of thinner skin or greatest exposure (eg. poor rinsing).

Biotin is anecdotally reported to cause breakouts for some so may be partly or wholly responsible for adverse skin reactions, mega dosing any micronutrient is not necessarily safe or advisable.

Best thing to do would be to scale back the biotin, switch shampoo and conditioner, see your family doctor or a dermatologist if that is ineffective.

LaReineJaguar
February 13th, 2014, 02:17 PM
The hair on my crown area is a little thinner, and sometimes it feels irritated, too. I wonder if its just more sensitive to elements than the rest that has thicker hair. I don't think my hair has thinned anymore than it has always been, but the rest of my hair is really thick. Has the weather been any different lately where you are? Maybe there is that kind of connection?

Panth
February 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Oh! Another thought: are you using flexi-8s and are your spin pins real ones (with the coloured coating) or knock-off ones with no coating? I can't wear flexi-8s because they cause nickel-sensitivity type skin reactions. And that very much did feel like sunburn.

HaileComfort
February 14th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I don't use Flexi-8s, but I DO use knockoff spin pins.

Good thoughts all - thank you so much! I think the thin = most exposure thing is totally it. Also, my scalp is feeling a bit better today - one day post-wash - it's got to be either my S/C or possibly that I am not rinsing well enough. I'd like to think at my age I know how to wash/rinse my hair properly - but you never know - changing the way I wash could have screwed me up.

Picked up new S/C yesterday, and will be conscious of thoroughly rinsing in future. I'll post an update to this thread when this is resolved, in hopes of helping those down the line running searches on the forum.

Firefox - I don't waaaaaant to scale back on Biotin, I'm hoping for a B-vitamin miracle... ha. I think I will cut back a bit though, and continue to focus on a balanced diet, plenty of water, and general healthy (as I always have) and resolve to do a better job of getting essential fatty acids. Hoping that LHC methods in general are good for (at least retaining) my thickness.