PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle wet/damp hair?

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Hi,

how do you handle wet/damp hair if you have to handle it and what's best? (if you have to handle it).
My hair dries sloooowly and a blow dryer have never worked on me so sometimes I have to handle it wet and even more often damp.

misspriss
February 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM
TBH, probably not the best person to ask...

I use a leave in with a great detangler. I use a "The Wet Brush" brush on my wet hair, detangle it, and blow dry it. I recently read some studies that showed that blow drying is actually LESS damaging than air drying (when done gently!) and promptly started blow drying, especially since it is winter. I brush my hair while I blow dry with the wet brush. Then when it is barely damp and warm, I bun it to keep it smooth.

Back when I never used the blow dryer (thinking I was doing best for my hair) I would bun or braid it wet/damp (usually after gentle hair drying and finger combing) and then leave it be. I would usually rebraid or rebun it in the morning (I wash my hair at night) while damp, but using no extra precautions except taking my rings off (they snag!). I also had not discovered my favorite leave in at this point, which I love to death.

So basically I don't use the best care possible, but my hair is pretty hardy, and I'm already at my goal length.

lapushka
February 13th, 2014, 07:50 AM
It's going to be less fragile if you get the most water out after a wash as possible, so use a microfiber or terrycloth turbie towel for that. Mine is kept in there for 15 to 20 min. and it gets most of the water out. By that time it's damp enough that it won't sustain easy damage. HTH.

Chiquita Banana
February 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I let mine dry as much as I can without touching it. When it's mostly if not completely dry, I finger comb it out. If I have to go somewhere and it's still damp, I'll put it up into a lazy wrap bun (without combing it) with an acrylic stick. I try to wash on days when I know I don't have anywhere to go, but that doesn't always happen!! I really feel like my hair sheds less now that I am mainly finger combing. Hope my experience helps you a little bit!

Itarillė
February 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM
My hair dries slowly too and I never use blow dryer. I drained for a long time in a towel and after, I pass my fingers through my hair very often to dry faster. It work and make my hair very tight :)

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I normally used to (Before LHC) wear it in a towelturban as long as possible (it's rarely possible to have my hair in a long time.) then fingercomb, maybe one or two brushes and then braid it in a single braid. Blowdryers have never ever worked for me (oh well I have never tryed it for more than 20 minutes but well it would take a loooong time atleast)

Now I... well today is the first time I had to put it up wet and I made a messy cinnabun with a crochet hook.

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 08:04 AM
I wrap my hair up in a soft T-shirt and it does wonders for frizziness when it dries. I don't leave the shirt on long, though, probably about 10-15 minutes before taking it down and gently finger combing it then letting it air dry. If I have to go somewhere, I either braid it or bun it, both without combing.

This just seems to have worked for me so far. I haven't noticed any damage from it. Wrapping it up in a T-shirt might not be the most amazing thing for it, but it hasn't done any harm for me.

Scarlet_Heart
February 13th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I wash my hair a few hours before bed so that it's mostly dry by the time I put it in my sleep cap.

Kherome
February 13th, 2014, 09:31 AM
TBH, probably not the best person to ask...

I use a leave in with a great detangler. I use a "The Wet Brush" brush on my wet hair, detangle it, and blow dry it. I recently read some studies that showed that blow drying is actually LESS damaging than air drying (when done gently!) and promptly started blow drying, especially since it is winter. I brush my hair while I blow dry with the wet brush. Then when it is barely damp and warm, I bun it to keep it smooth.

That "study" has been discussed here many times, and it's a really poorly done study that was done under unrealistic conditions and proves little to nothing. If you want to blow dry, go for it, but don't believe that it's less harmful to your hair. In fact, it was just last week that another thread popped up here about that "study" and many LHCers addressed it's issues if you want to read it.

Verdandi
February 13th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I put my hair up in a microfiber turbie-twist knock off, let it sitt for about 10-20 minutes, take it out and let it air dry a while before finger combing it, letting it dry a bit more and then I detangle with a wide toothed comb. By then, my hair is slightly damp so I put som oil in it and then either braid it or put it up in a damp bun. I usually wash my hair in the evening, so I go to bed with a damp braid. The micro fiber towel has reduced the drying time with at least half an hour for me. I love it to pieces!

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I have to put my hair up damp/wet because my animals need to be taken care of atleast every morning and evening, normally between that too, and between that it's things like the dishes and so on (I can't make the dishes with my hair down, my hair end up in the dishwater)

MissHoney
February 13th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Turbie twists changed my life. I also use t-shirts, though.

I make sure my hair is detangled after washing, and twist it up tightly in the turban. I leave it on for as long as I want/need -- but most importantly, it minimizes my hair curling up/out until I am prepared to style it. On a lazy day, I just remove the towel and clamp the end of my hair back on top of my head (I think its called a french twist?)

Agnes Hannah
February 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Hi I put mine in a turbie twist thingy or a tee shirt for about half an hour or so. It is fine, so it dries quickly like this. Then I run my fingers through to air dry it after removing my rings of course!This works for me and I haven't noticed any damage so far.

ositarosita
February 13th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Leave it in my turby twist for about 20 mins, apply my detangler/ leave in, apply my coney serum then comb. I put it up in a jaw clip as it dries so it's out of the way and it doesn't have to be touched

misspriss
February 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM
That "study" has been discussed here many times, and it's a really poorly done study that was done under unrealistic conditions and proves little to nothing. If you want to blow dry, go for it, but don't believe that it's less harmful to your hair. In fact, it was just last week that another thread popped up here about that "study" and many LHCers addressed it's issues if you want to read it.

A link would have helped me find it. But in all honesty, my hair takes almost 24 hours toj dry naturally. I am happy at my current length, so if I get a bit of damage I will just trim it off. I have noticed no ill effects from blow drying.

ETA: You mean this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109230)? That's the one that helped me decide to blow dry!

Suze2012
February 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I squeeze water out very gently then put my cone free leave in condish on.
Straight after I scrunch with a microfibre towel and hold it, move to a dry bit of towel and do the same going all through my hair.
Then I scrunch a curl creme in and spritz with glycerin (only in winter).
My hair still isn't dry by 10am though..and I scrunch cast out as it dries.
The towel scrunching really helps though.
It's winter here and we are having storms about every two days - wind rain, hail, you name it.
I'm still not frizzy though! :)
But I do also co wash..which stopped my frizz..

Madora
February 13th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I loathe wet hair so tend to it as soon as possible. I use a high count Egyptian cotton towel and use my palms to press out the water between the towel. Then the hair sits in a towel turban for about 15 minutes while I finish cleaning the shower. Towel comes off and I detangle with my wide tooth comb. Then I start my special air drying method and my hair is dried in 20 to 25 minutes (outdoors) or 45 minutes indoors in winter (with the air of a portable heater). My hair is then braided and pinned up.

Vrindi
February 13th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I put in a leave-in conditioner (I've been using Everyday Shea, it's not meant to be a leave-in specifically, but that's how I use it.) or coconut oil and gently finger-comb, then use a wide tooth comb. Then I'll coil it in a loose bun or braid.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
My hair is wrapped in a t shirt at the moment after being washed, will keep it wrapped for 20 minutes or so, then gently finger comb it, stroke a couple of drops of mineral oil through and gently detangle with my wide toothed comb, then leave loose to air dry, it will take several hours to dry. It is my one chance during the week to feel the length of it down my back!

kganihanova
February 13th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I don't. I put coconut oil in it, turbie twist it and braid it. Nothing fancy with damp hair.

TrapperCreekD
February 13th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I've tried french/dutch braiding towel-dried hair a few times but it reminds me of working with greasy hair - it doesn't want to lay "right" on my scalp. So, after washing I turbie for 5 minutes or so while I get dressed, carefully take it down and apply FSG, then plop with an old tshirt for an hour or several hours. If I need to be in public before my hair's dry, I'll put it up in a lazy version of the LWB and secure with stick.

Aderyn
February 13th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I usually take a shower at night and let it airdry (for the most part) for a few hours while I'm reading, studying, surfing the internet, etc. Occasionally I will comb through it gently with a horn comb when it's not damp, but not wet either. Usually I try to avoid manipulating it, though.

jacqueline101
February 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM
I comb before I wash to remove tangles, I try to use minimal amount of water, I massage the shampoo on my scalp apply conditioner rinse. Then turbie towel half way dry spritz on shine spray detangle when dry. Braid leave it alone until wash day. Which is every week. I try to leave mine alone.

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Being that it is winter where I live, I blow dry on cool, while using Madora's fanning technique (I didn't read the entire thread, so hopefully she popped in and shared her technique with you). It's dry enough for me in about 10 minutes. Forgot to say, I use two turbie twists, one right after the shower until I'm dried off and dressed, then I switch to the second one while I brush my teeth, put in my contact lenses, and do my face. THEN I do the blow drying on cool while fanning.

MaryO
February 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I'd usually walk around in a turbie for a while and then brush (gently!) with a type of tangle teezer brush and then make a little bun on my head and sleep pr walk like that for the day. My hair is usually not dry by the time I wake up of go to bed again but it's ok, at least it's not a tangled mess...

spirals
February 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I leave it in a regular terry towel for 10 minutes before taking down and combing with this: http://www.colonialmedical.com/conair-detangling-comb-P-3242.html&ref=shopping.google.com I then put it up in a thin cotton pareo to pull even more water out. After that I just airdry for most of the day and then put it up when it starts to bother me.

Venefica
February 13th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I usually just put it up in a loose nautilus bun if I have to go somewhere when it is wet, otherwise I just leave it over the side of the sofa to dry.

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I loathe wet hair so tend to it as soon as possible. I use a high count Egyptian cotton towel and use my palms to press out the water between the towel. Then the hair sits in a towel turban for about 15 minutes while I finish cleaning the shower. Towel comes off and I detangle with my wide tooth comb. Then I start my special air drying method and my hair is dried in 20 to 25 minutes (outdoors) or 45 minutes indoors in winter (with the air of a portable heater). My hair is then braided and pinned up.
wow I'm jealous

I washed my hair yesterday Before lunch, and now (the morning after) it's dry, but then I could only have it loose about 3 hours late at night after Everything had been done (Before that I had a messy cinnamonbun sometimes in a scarf)

teela1978
February 13th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I usually wash at night. So it gets popped up in a towel for a bit, then combed out, then flung over my pillow to dry as I sleep.

Jumper
February 14th, 2014, 12:40 AM
^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! Let it dry for awhile, comb it carefully when damp, then over my pillow as I sleep.

Of course my ends are so damaged and I'm so new at attempting to grow my hair out from its current length that no one should put much stock in any "routine" of mine... Because it is likely to change an may not be any good in the first place.

teela1978
February 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM
^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! Let it dry for awhile, comb it carefully when damp, then over my pillow as I sleep.

Of course my ends are so damaged and I'm so new at attempting to grow my hair out from its current length that no one should put much stock in any "routine" of mine... Because it is likely to change an may not be any good in the first place.

My ends are fine. I wouldn't worry about that part of your routine :) Though things are different for everyone.

YamaMaya
February 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I just squeeze my hair out as much as possible until it stops dripping, then wrap it up in a towel until it's 50% dry, then I lightly oil to seal in moisture and let it air dry the rest of the way. I've gotten great results with this and it's fine as long as I don't rub with the towel.

veryhairyfairy
February 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM
When I first came here, I was informed about possibly causing damage by combing and manipulating my wet hair. So I spent several miserable months waiting 5-6 hours for my hair to dry into frizzy tentacles that I would then comb out, and then RE-WET with my spray bottle to make it lay correctly.
Fast forward to now, and I'm doing the exact same thing I did before I found LHC: Squeeze out excess water in the shower, towel (or t-shirt) turban for 20 or so minutes, detangle with this bad boy right here (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31b2aif4pAL._SY300_.jpg) (can't recommend this guy enough, it has like, 1/4" space between each 'tooth' of the comb), and then finally, I gently make a low lazy wrap bun, and use two giant claw clips to keep it in place.

I let it down to dry a bit more about once an hour and then put it back up, but it will still be damp 8-10 hrs later. I know the latest bugaboo here is hygral/hydral fatigue, and I've heard that leaving the hair wet for extended periods could cause damage, but wet bunning is the only way to make my hair the way I want it; soft, shiny as heck, and (relatively) tangle free. :) I accept any possible damage the way I would accept it if I HAD to blowdry to get the results I'm looking for. :shrug:

truepeacenik
February 16th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I aim for evening showers and only wet hair at those times, but reality is I catch a shower when I can some days. So, just before bed, upon waking, an hour after I get home from work...no real pattern.

I wash and condition first, and squeeze out the water as best I can, wrap in a flat weave Turkish spa towel, handle the rest of the shower, turn off water. take down the hair to use that towel to dry me off, but while in shower, gently detangle with a comb much like the conair mentioned in the thread. Rewrapping in the second thin towel (t shirts do fine), I get the hair to damp.
I leave the towel on while I dress and eat.
By then, it is ready to be bunned, using an acrylic, metal or other water PROOF hair toy.
Occasionally, I'll leave it down while I get to work and then I can bun in a water resistant (finished wood) hair stick.
Hair will be in a jacket, or over the headrest of a car.

In your situation, I'd consider washing hair after the outside chores are done.

see_turtle
February 16th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I just comb it then put it up wet. I take it down at night and finger comb it and wear it down to bed.

Tifie
February 16th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I headbang after shower, so most of the water goes out already. And it detangles a bit. Then I remove the remaining water in the ends with a towel, part my hair (need to do it when it's wet) and wait =) After headbanging it's already quite dry. If I need to go out, I just braid my hair quickly, that's it

GetMeToWaist
February 19th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I wrap it in a cotton t-shirt for 5 minutes, then spray a leave in or detangler (right now I like the Boots Coconut and Almond Leave In or the Herbal Essences Tousle me Softly cream), then either finger comb or usually detangle with a wide tooth comb. Then I just air dry or damp braid, but I try not to touch it. :)