PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest some hairstyles for an interview I'll be going to

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Hi everyone :waving:

I'm applying for a job next month with a very prominent airline. At the open day I'm expected to look super polished. I have been planning on trying out some hairstyles until I get them right... I've been experimenting with a french twist and a sock bun... tragically, the sock bun gave me horrible splits and I had to trim off some of my ends to stop the damage and I just can.not.get the french twist right! It's frustrating me like you can't believe. I've also tried a Gibson Tuck, but it just doesn't look right on my head...

So I'm looking for an easy-to-do bun or other updo that still looks sleek, neat and charming. Nothing too intricate, I don't want to look like a try-hard, but I'd still like to look well put together and like I've put some effort into my hair.

Any suggestions? I know you guys are the experts!

Edited to add: I am inbetween APL and BSL, I don't think I should venture into hairsticks or forks or use any decoration, I'm also a little hesitant to go in with braids... limiting my style choices :(

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I Think a low bun in the neck is more neat and "businessy" than a high one, can you do like a infinity bun?

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 02:29 AM
I did look for infinity bun tutorials, but all the ones I've found require hairsticks.
Is there a way to do one without them?

MeowScat
February 13th, 2014, 02:44 AM
How about the basic cinnabun, you can hold it with some spin pins, Amish pins or bobby pins. Very professional looking and you won't see the pins holding it. If you haven't tried spin pins yet, go out and get yourself some, they're incredible. I got mine at Walmart, but they're sold in other places, too.

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Is the cinnabun a basic twist and coil around into a bun?
I've tried this and my ends stick out quite badly. It also looks nothing like a coil when I try, it sort of seems to clump together into what looks like I've just twisted my hair into a lazyround thing... I fear my hair isn't long enough to make it look as neat as everyone else's does..

I just tried an infinity and I don't think that my hair is long enough, even with a hair stick, it sort of goes into half a one and then I'm left with messy tufts.

MissBubble
February 13th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I know from experience a few things about airlines. If it is one of them that requires super polished looks, they will appreciate more a cinnabun or a sock bun at the middle/lower part, or even a french braid since your hair is not that long, than a fancy and complicated updo. I'd say you should also avoid hairtoys like sticks, forks, claw clips etc. They'd better be invisible.

XcaliburGirl
February 13th, 2014, 05:59 AM
When my ends stuck out of my cinnamon bun, I was able to keep them together by putting a small black scrunchie over the bun.

By the way, in my experience, bunning my hair when damp produces a much sleeker result. Plus the ends stay in better.

If all else fails, a low ponytail held by a barrette or with a piece of hair wrapped around the elastic can look professional.

kme81
February 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Your hair is a great length for a tucked up french braid. It is just a single french braid where the tail gets tucked and pinned up under the french braided part, up against the scalp. This was one of my favorite polished looks when I was at your length.

I know you said you are hesitant about braids, but this is a really great style.

I don't have any experience with non-braided professional hairstyles at your length because I didn't know how to bun when I was at that length! I guess I'm not a whole lot of help! :(

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I know from experience a few things about airlines. If it is one of them that requires super polished looks, they will appreciate more a cinnabun or a sock bun at the middle/lower part, or even a french braid since your hair is not that long, than a fancy and complicated updo. I'd say you should also avoid hairtoys like sticks, forks, claw clips etc. They'd better be invisible.

Yes, I'd definitely like to avoid fancy updos and hairtoys, I did mention it a bit in my first post and the sock bun gave me horrible splits. What experience do you have with airlines, if you don't mind my asking?

When my ends stuck out of my cinnamon bun, I was able to keep them together by putting a small black scrunchie over the bun.

By the way, in my experience, bunning my hair when damp produces a much sleeker result. Plus the ends stay in better.

If all else fails, a low ponytail held by a barrette or with a piece of hair wrapped around the elastic can look professional.

Th cinnabun works a thhhoooouuuuusand times better when damp!! Thank you! I may also try the scrunchie idea, although that involves me investing in a scrunchy :p which I will do for the sake of experimentation.

Your hair is a great length for a tucked up french braid. It is just a single french braid where the tail gets tucked and pinned up under the french braided part, up against the scalp. This was one of my favorite polished looks when I was at your length.

I know you said you are hesitant about braids, but this is a really great style.

I don't have any experience with non-braided professional hairstyles at your length because I didn't know how to bun when I was at that length! I guess I'm not a whole lot of help! :(

I accidentally came across the tucked braid a while ago and thought I had invented a new hairstyle (hah!) I like the look of it, but I worry about the braided aspect.

After many many many attempts at a cinnabun, bunning it damp seems to give a nice enough result. So I think for now that's what I'll go for and practice until I can nail it...

but if anyone else has any hairstyles they'd like to suggest please let me know! Either via this thread or a message... I have until about the middle of next month to practice and get my sleek look down to a T. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help, thanks so much!

spidermom
February 13th, 2014, 07:03 AM
At your length, I really loved wearing a french twist. Have you tried a number of different tutorials on YouTube? There is more than one way to do it, and chances are you will find a method that works for you.

But whatever you end up with, good luck on your interview.

Chromis
February 13th, 2014, 07:08 AM
In the military at that length, I had to resort to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Amaranth-Twist-Holder-Clip-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_sbs_bt_4

I know it looks like a torture device, but as long as I was careful with it, it really was not too bad. You may get the occasional breakage, but I think that is likely inevitable at that length since you are in the stage where it is often harder to put up. I found mine at Claire's or somewhere similar. (On the bright side, these are always very cheap so you aren't out much if it doesn't work!) I found this style worked better than the more expensive ones that looked nicer. I could not get sock buns to work then either (or now). Once you hit waist, this gadget doesn't work so well, but by then you have plenty of other options!

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I did look for infinity bun tutorials, but all the ones I've found require hairsticks.
Is there a way to do one without them?

I have Always done them with hairpins (or whatever these are called http://hairtrend.se/product_info.php?cPath=59&products_id=480 )
I use one to fasten the end, and one on each side of the bun. (mine don't look like an 8 but I have quite long hair and I Think thats why)

MissBubble
February 13th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Yes, I'd definitely like to avoid fancy updos and hairtoys, I did mention it a bit in my first post and the sock bun gave me horrible splits. What experience do you have with airlines, if you don't mind my asking?

I have worked as a cabin crew for about a year. Everything, from hair to lipstick, had to be polished and perfect. And they didnt accept people because of some misbehaving hair during the interview or because they didnt like the color of the hair, the hair toys...
But it was that kind of airline. The majority go a little more casual as far as I know.

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 07:37 AM
At your length, I really loved wearing a french twist. Have you tried a number of different tutorials on YouTube? There is more than one way to do it, and chances are you will find a method that works for you.

But whatever you end up with, good luck on your interview.

I've tried doing it several ways. I spent all day attempting it the other day that my scalp felt overworked and a little bruised from all the twisting and pulling. Maybe I just need to take a deep breath and try again.

In the military at that length, I had to resort to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Amaranth-Twist-Holder-Clip-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_sbs_bt_4

I know it looks like a torture device, but as long as I was careful with it, it really was not too bad. You may get the occasional breakage, but I think that is likely inevitable at that length since you are in the stage where it is often harder to put up. I found mine at Claire's or somewhere similar. (On the bright side, these are always very cheap so you aren't out much if it doesn't work!) I found this style worked better than the more expensive ones that looked nicer. I could not get sock buns to work then either (or now). Once you hit waist, this gadget doesn't work so well, but by then you have plenty of other options!

Hah, I wouldn't know the first thing about putting one of those in... I've never seen one. South Africa isn't really the most fantastic place for hair gadgets... our doughnut shred your hair up and that and fake ethnic extensions is about as good as it gets, as far as I've seen. I will keep my eye out for one though. (On a side note, I really admire people who have been through the Military, I think because my dad was when he was younger and in my eyes, you really can't be more of a hero than my dad)

I have Always done them with hairpins (or whatever these are called http://hairtrend.se/product_info.php?cPath=59&products_id=480 )
I use one to fasten the end, and one on each side of the bun. (mine don't look like an 8 but I have quite long hair and I Think thats why)

I did try :)... sadly I don't think my hair is long enough. Thank you, though.

I have worked as a cabin crew for about a year. Everything, from hair to lipstick, had to be polished and perfect. And they didnt accept people because of some misbehaving hair during the interview or because they didnt like the color of the hair, the hair toys...
But it was that kind of airline. The majority go a little more casual as far as I know.

I am applying as Cabin Crew :)
Definitely not one of the more casual airlines, which is why I'm being so particular about getting the right hairstyle.
I think I have my make-up routine alright, though I am trying to decide if I should risk it with the red lipstick or stick to more natural? I've read a lot about how on the open days recruiters like to see what you'd look like working for them and the company I'm applying for has a fondness for red lipstick... Do you think a more natural colour would be safer?

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 07:39 AM
mellybee: ok but I still stand by that low buns look great for that, I just don't know enough buns to help more

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Thank you tlover :)
I think I will keep practicing the cinnabun (low :)) and I'll keep trying on the french twist as well

MissBubble
February 13th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I am applying as Cabin Crew :)
Definitely not one of the more casual airlines, which is why I'm being so particular about getting the right hairstyle.
I think I have my make-up routine alright, though I am trying to decide if I should risk it with the red lipstick or stick to more natural? I've read a lot about how on the open days recruiters like to see what you'd look like working for them and the company I'm applying for has a fondness for red lipstick... Do you think a more natural colour would be safer?

If I guess right here, you should wear a red lipstick if the company has a fondness for it. Either a cool or warm shade depending on your skintone. Red lipstick is obligatory for some airlines, too. If you do it, do it really polished, with lipliner etc. keeping the rest natural, natural eyeshadows, thin eyeliner and mascara and healthy glowing pink/coralish (depending on your tone) cheeks. And cover any spots, blemishes you may have.
For hair, as been said, simple but polished bun with no fancy or big toys. The french braid described sounds good, too.

Good luck!

misspriss
February 13th, 2014, 08:01 AM

No hairstyle ideas (I'm currently trying to figure out how to do anything BUT a cinnamon bun for a while), but if you can pull off red lipstick, and the company has a fondness for it, I think you should. Maybe once you get your hairstyle and everything decided, you can try everything with the red, and everything with a more neutral color, and see which you like. I personally love red lipstick and think it would make you stand out; whether you can pull it off or not determines whether it makes you stand out in a good way or a bad way though.

Mellybee
February 13th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks so much MissBubble, you've been very helpful. And thanks misspriss!

I'll practice perfecting the red lips too, then.

ooglipoo
February 13th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I don't know if you've got the length for it or not, but a flipped cinnabun may be an option. It's like the best of a cinnabun and a French twist, if you ask me... and you could probably tuck your unruly ends into the pocket that is made by flipping. I found a tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYyVhZA-mw)

That girl flips it from the top, but I like to flip it from side to side, and it gets a nice French twist effect going on...

Otherwise, I think the tucked French braid is another great option.

Best of luck! :flower:

Agnes Hannah
February 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I have worn my ubiquitous claw when I have interviews, and two side combs to stop the fine flyaways getting everywhere and distracting me. I am BSL with very fine hair though. Good luck! PS red is my fav colour especially in lipstick!

Firefox7275
February 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Is the cinnabun a basic twist and coil around into a bun?
I've tried this and my ends stick out quite badly. It also looks nothing like a coil when I try, it sort of seems to clump together into what looks like I've just twisted my hair into a lazyround thing... I fear my hair isn't long enough to make it look as neat as everyone else's does..

I just tried an infinity and I don't think that my hair is long enough, even with a hair stick, it sort of goes into half a one and then I'm left with messy tufts.

Get some Spin Pins and keep practising. Try making it looser, wider/ flatter. I tuck under a fair bit of my ends to stop them sticking out. My early buns were too tight and 'pointy' but that is not necessary: Spin Pins will secure something that feels way too loosely twisted and even tighten it up if well positioned. I use three for security, at the imaginary points of an upside down triangle. For reference my hair is BSL stretched and medium density, small amount of layering remaining.

Mustang Suzy
February 13th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Mellybee,
This tutorial taught me how to do a french twist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDSaxLFT3Uw
I am almost at APL and this method works for me. I've found it it doesn't produce the alien like hair bump on top of my head that a regular french twist method creates.
Good luck on your interview!

RapunzelKat
February 13th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Another vote for the low cinnamon bun here, though I also quite liked ooglipoo's idea for a flipped cinnamon bun if you can manage it at your length. With a bit of practice, either of these can look sleek and elegant.

Personally, I like to do a part slightly off to one side when I wear low buns. For me, I find it looks more formal and elegant. However, this might be a face shape thing, so I'm not sure it it would work the same for you. :)

Best of luck with your interview!

cat11
February 13th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Hi :)

I have really messy hair (its very thick and prone to flyaways) that is extremely difficult to make look polished, and when I want to look especially so I either to a french twist (looks very classic and if you can't get that -tight slick- look easily it also looks just as neat and proffessional done softly.

Also an edwardian roll. Often referred to as a Gibson tuck around here? Done very low on the head it looks very put-together, no nonsense, polished. I think they look smart with a decorative comb or barrette nestled in on top of the roll

this one is a wee bit messier but placement & decoration is right on par:
http://redheadedambitions.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_3396.jpg

You can also do a cinnabun like others have said and bobby pin the edges in, decorate with something to look better?

Maybe just a simple, sleeked back (use a lil coconut oil or something) ponytail with a strand wrapped around the elastic to conceal it andthen pinned underneath with a bobby? Those look very polished in my opinion.

Or you can try doing braided pigtails down your back, and then putting them into a little braided bun together or two little ones side by side. I find that looks neat when pulled back with care.

Mellybee
February 14th, 2014, 12:05 AM
I don't know if you've got the length for it or not, but a flipped cinnabun may be an option. It's like the best of a cinnabun and a French twist, if you ask me... and you could probably tuck your unruly ends into the pocket that is made by flipping. I found a tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYyVhZA-mw)

That girl flips it from the top, but I like to flip it from side to side, and it gets a nice French twist effect going on...

Otherwise, I think the tucked French braid is another great option.

Best of luck! :flower:

I think if I do this very carefully it could work. My ends stick out in the middle of the bun, but maybe if I did some extra tucking at the end, very carefully, I could pull it off. Thank you!

I have worn my ubiquitous claw when I have interviews, and two side combs to stop the fine flyaways getting everywhere and distracting me. I am BSL with very fine hair though. Good luck! PS red is my fav colour especially in lipstick!

I tried to google ubiquitous claw, but it didn't come up with anything. Thank you, though! I will be doing red lipstick :)

Get some Spin Pins and keep practising. Try making it looser, wider/ flatter. I tuck under a fair bit of my ends to stop them sticking out. My early buns were too tight and 'pointy' but that is not necessary: Spin Pins will secure something that feels way too loosely twisted and even tighten it up if well positioned. I use three for security, at the imaginary points of an upside down triangle. For reference my hair is BSL stretched and medium density, small amount of layering remaining.

I'll have to hunt for spin pins... Where I live hair tools, besides the basics, are hard to come by and I can't order anything online (lack of credit card), but when I tried the cinnabun damp, it worked quite well, I held it with normal wide tooth pins and I think I might get a red scrunchy to hide any strays. Thank you, the cinnabun seems to be the one I have most luck with. Might be wearing it daily until my interview so I get plenty of practice.

Mellybee,
This tutorial taught me how to do a french twist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDSaxLFT3Uw
I am almost at APL and this method works for me. I've found it it doesn't produce the alien like hair bump on top of my head that a regular french twist method creates.
Good luck on your interview!

This is the video I first saw when trying the french twist, it's the only method I've tried that seems to kind of want to work, but I just can't get it to look nice :(

Another vote for the low cinnamon bun here, though I also quite liked ooglipoo's idea for a flipped cinnamon bun if you can manage it at your length. With a bit of practice, either of these can look sleek and elegant.

Personally, I like to do a part slightly off to one side when I wear low buns. For me, I find it looks more formal and elegant. However, this might be a face shape thing, so I'm not sure it it would work the same for you. :)

Best of luck with your interview!

I would like to to do the side parting, have been practicing with a bit of a fake side-swept fringe and I think it looks quite nice. Doable with the cinnabun too :)

Hi :)

I have really messy hair (its very thick and prone to flyaways) that is extremely difficult to make look polished, and when I want to look especially so I either to a french twist (looks very classic and if you can't get that -tight slick- look easily it also looks just as neat and proffessional done softly.

Also an edwardian roll. Often referred to as a Gibson tuck around here? Done very low on the head it looks very put-together, no nonsense, polished. I think they look smart with a decorative comb or barrette nestled in on top of the roll

this one is a wee bit messier but placement & decoration is right on par:
http://redheadedambitions.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/img_3396.jpg

You can also do a cinnabun like others have said and bobby pin the edges in, decorate with something to look better?

Maybe just a simple, sleeked back (use a lil coconut oil or something) ponytail with a strand wrapped around the elastic to conceal it andthen pinned underneath with a bobby? Those look very polished in my opinion.

Or you can try doing braided pigtails down your back, and then putting them into a little braided bun together or two little ones side by side. I find that looks neat when pulled back with care.

The Edwardian roll looks lovely :)
Maybe I should practice it a bit more.. It looks a little like a bump at the back of my head when I try, like a bun, with no evidence of a bun, maybe I just need to try and get the placement right. I will give it a shot.

Everyone's been so lovely! Thanks so much for your help and wishes for good luck. The Open Day is quite a while away, but I will surely let you know how it goes. I applied last year and didn't make the cut, but I'm a little more confident this year and a lot more prepared. Even then it's quite a difficult position to get. I'm going to be positive no matter the outcome... and if I don't get it, at least I will have perfected some hairstyles and make up techniques :) A lesson in everything.