PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thinking of going back to cones

ErinLeigh
February 12th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Hi. I was wondering if anyone here has cone free and are considering going back to cones?
As my hair gets in better shape I am starting to feel the draw to add some cones back in here and there. I miss the slip, the heat protection and the frizz reduction. I also thing the really help prevent split ends. I admit I kind of line the shine they offer too.

One issue that hold me back now is I kind of backed off SLS and heavier shampoos. I wash with SLS once a week stretching to 2 weeks. I am now cowash, low poo most times as its most gentle on bleached hair considering I wash almost daily. The idea of cowashing over cones bothers me. I know my hair and it won't work.
I need to find the list of what non sulfate ingredients remove cones and find a list of water soluble products as well. So far I found Paul Mitchell the Detangler and a Tea tree conditioner in a green bottle. (Maybe Mitchell?)

Another issue is I really can't use coconut oil over cones for pre poo. I get build up that way. It's too much for my hair. Its kind of one or the other for me. I will have to use the oils on days I skip the cones.

Does anyone one here ever feel the draw to go back but struggle with the decision? Or has anyone gone back and noticed more positives than negatives? If so what you back?

i went cone free to give me time to examine my hair and get it in better conditioner. I needed to see the actual results of my experiments and to do that meant no cones masking it. I am satisfied now that its as good as its going get and the rest will happen over over time and with trims. So...maybe cone time :)

alexis917
February 12th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I've actually been cone-free for a while now, but when I tried to go full-"natural"- as in, no sulfates and shampoo bars only...
My hair just didn't feel the same. It looked duller and even though I did the rinses and whatnot...yeah, not for me.
I did go back to cones once (tried Pantene) and my hair was a little shinier, but I felt it tangled more easily and got dirty quicker.
That was only a big deal to me because I wash every 3/4 days. If you wash more often, cones might be awesome!

lapushka
February 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM
i went cone free to give me time to examine my hair and get it in better conditioner. I needed to see the actual results of my experiments and to do that meant no cones masking it. I am satisfied now that its as good as its going get and the rest will happen over over time and with trims. So...maybe cone time :)

I tried the whole cone-free routine, and it wasn't for me. Not what my hair wanted. It was way too dry after washing with harsh cleansers (needed because of SD). My hair needs the moisture, the softness, the slip. Not that it's damaged in any way, shape or form, not at all. I just like the ease it provides and the fastness of detangling with cones is unprecedented (not even *any* tangles). So no. Cone-free is not my thing. I came to that realization the more I gained length. (The longer, the dryer, the more tangled it can become.)

redredrobin
February 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I have thought about it. I went cone-free about six months ago and didn't notice much of a difference, so I thought I may as well keep using cone-free conditioner to avoid potential build up.

Since then I have used Aussie 3MM once and a few times I put an old cone conditioner on my ends just to use it up. The problem is I usually forget I've done it and then can't remember whether it helped or not :o

So yes, thought about it, but I doubt I will.

Verdandi
February 12th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yes, the winter in Scandinavia is really harsh on my hair and I thought the cones maybe would add a little extra protection. But since I use either a low sulfate or a sulfate free shampoo, I'm worried that it would be a LOT of bouild up. Also, I like my hair cone free, it gets better hold and doesn't slip out of my updos in a minute and also get a little more body than with cones. More 1b than 1a, which I like.

I made a compromise ande bought a water soluble coney serum and use it on the ends from time to time, but I tend to forget I even have it in my bathroom cabinet. DBF use it more than I do :rolleyes: (He's a real 'cone-o-holic, opposed to me)

SThr
February 12th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I was cone-free for over a year, but I'm easing back into them now. My ends stayed 'healthier' with cones, which is to say the split ends stay stuck together until I can trim them, so they don't snag on other hair as much. I've been mixing one of those coney Wen knockoffs into my VO5 for the length every few washes. I've also put silicone lube (cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethiconol) on my ends, and my hair seems to love that.

divinedobbie
February 12th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Hi ErinLeigh! I can't seem to stop following you around ;).

You already know where I stand on the sulfate/cone debate but I'd like to add that I think cones are sometimes unfairly labeled as evil. Whereas I understand the "cons" (potentially covering damage that you can't see, weighing hair down, that plastic-y shine, and build-up), I believe as long as they are used cautiously they are perfectly fine and perhaps better for hair in the sense that they seem to minimize splits and smooth the hair which would cause less friction and in the long run less damage. Since you are happy with the state you hair is in without cones covering it up, you like the shine, and I don't think you mentioned anything about the weightiness - in your case, I say go for it. As long as you avoid cones that are particularly prone to building up and do continue to use SLS shampoos or something that will clean up the cones every now, I don't see a problem. But you've already figured that out:).

Chromis
February 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I tried going to cones after having been a happy shampoo bar user for years. I was tired of having to pay so much in shipping to import bars and shampoo/conditioner is just right there...

It felt nice at first, but then my hair started feeling...weird. I still had to use an acid rinse or else I had a mass of tangles and couldn't comb it and my scalp protested the change too. Back to the bars for me! When I henna, I use a conditioner with no-cones (A "natural" one, but not because I think "chemicals" are scary or anything, it's just easier to find not-coney ones that aren't too smelly at the health food store)

Anyuta
February 12th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Erin, I am currently cone-free, for the first time for about a month. I do see a big difference in my hair and what I like the most is that my hair does not get that greasy on the second day and I can stretch washes for 3 days now. I have a very fine hair and I would have to wash every second day strictly to be able to go to work next day. But I do miss the silkiness and shine from cones even though it doesn't last long on my hair. My hair is currently too short to tangle, but it does not shine anymore as it used to when I used cones. So all in all, I am going to stay cone for a while more, and then maybe go back to cones someday just to see how much difference they bring to my hair.

Magalo
February 12th, 2014, 05:37 PM
No. I'm very happy cone free. It think it made my hair more dry over time, and it made my hair too slippery. I like the gtip and volume I get from a no-cones routine.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM
I'm having a VERY tough time off cones, and have every time I've gone off, no matter what wash method I tried. I'm going to try catnip and then I'm going back if I don't see an improvement because the breakage is INTENSE! Snap. Crackle. Pop.

I think my problem is, I thought there was beautiful, strong hair waiting to be released under there! But I come from a family of people with weak fine hair and I am one of the ONLY ones who has made it past CHIN length...I have the "good" hair in my family but it takes some work to get it there! Cones help me fake it. I think with other people though, the cones could be masking what may have been! It just depends on the hair.

But, one thing I did learn from the experience was that while cones in conditioners were not ideal for me...too stringy, heavy and plasticy...a cone-coating from the ears down over damp hair conditioned with cone-free conditioner seemed to work well. That seemed to let the conditioner do its thing in the shower, and then seal up the ends once I got out. It left my roots un-coned and fluffy (crucial for volume!) and then ends coated (because they tend to turn to a cotton candy frizz show otherwise.)

For what it's worth, I compared Sally Beauty knock-off brands of Redken Anti-Snap and Chi Silk, and although the Chi Silk smells like a guy who's trying too hard, it definitely won out. I literally use two drops and done. Or I did. And may be doing again here soon!

Another thought...you do NOT need SLS to remove cones...while low poo isn't strong enough probably, more gentle cleansers like coco-betaine and others can remove cones. So perhaps your routine could be switching to a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo when you need to cleanse out cones? You could also alternate CO and poo with your cone use...

MiaBeth
February 12th, 2014, 06:11 PM
After about 6 months of no cones, I switched back. I enjoyed the fluffy, extra volume of the no-cone routine, but my hair really suffered! I had tons of breakage ... below my ears became see-through! I reverted to my old routine (Pantene, coney serum for hair drying ) and couldn't be more pleased 6 months later. No more breakage/frizzies, plus my hemline is filling back in. Yea! Perhaps those of us with fine hair need the extra protection cones provide?

0xalis
February 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I went about a year cone-free on accident, mostly because I was just using recommended products. My ends felt really dry and tangly, so I got a leave-in condish with cones and I like it. I don't think cones "sealing" split ends is really a bad thing! Wouldn't that just keep them from splitting further? ;)

Firefox7275
February 12th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I now have a couple of conditioners with silicones that resist building up (water soluble, amine functionalised) after three years without. Mostly because I wanted ceramides and they came as a 'package'. I would consider returning more seriously if I started having an issue with tangling at longer lengths but hope not to have to as my colour treated hair is way healthier and less poufy without shampoo.

I ended up enjoying the process of finding alternative ingredients to silicones that gave extra benefits, seeing my natural shine return as I grew out damaged hair. I now use plenty of the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants), natural oils, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol. If these are insufficient then I likely need to review how I am damaging my hair.

The Curly Girl method (techniques and products) gave me better frizz control than a silicone laden routine ever did. Even professional stylists needed high heats (flat iron) or loads of round brushing (mechanical damage) when blow frying to tame my waves, not just silicones. I can get up do friendly 'straightness' without silicones or heat now.

Not convinced of the heat protection properties of silicones so I would advise against relying on that, there are other ingredients with a stronger evidence base. Flat iron products are loaded with silicones largely because they disguise damage IMO.

Marika
February 12th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I tried the whole cone-free routine, and it wasn't for me. Not what my hair wanted. It was way too dry after washing with harsh cleansers (needed because of SD). My hair needs the moisture, the softness, the slip. Not that it's damaged in any way, shape or form, not at all. I just like the ease it provides and the fastness of detangling with cones is unprecedented (not even *any* tangles). So no. Cone-free is not my thing. I came to that realization the more I gained length. (The longer, the dryer, the more tangled it can become.)

I could have written this. I was 100 % cone free for over a year and now I can't imagine why! :brickwall I do use cone-free products too but I need at least one coney product in my routine. Usually conditioner and/or leave-in. I don't use serums anymore and my hair seems to like that. I guess you have to find a certain balance between cones and cone-free.

Ambystoma
February 12th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Yep, I did! I went back to my old pre LHC routine and I'm loving it - here's a copy paste from my profile explaining my journey:

"Before LHC I used to shampoo with sulphates (Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout) twice, right to the tips, then follow with Garnier 1 minute masque, which is a pretty heavy 'coney conditioner, follow with a 'cone serum, and I did this twice a week. I had this routine for about 8 years, regularly flatironing and dyeing it dark while keeping it MBL and it always looked and felt great - except that I always had dandruff :(

After deciding to bleach it platinum blonde, because I'm an idiot (lol), I had to cut off every scrap of dye and start again, and once it got to BSL and I discovered this place, I started trying to treat it "right". I tried every gentle washing method under the sun but nothing ever made it look or feel nice and silky and healthy like it used to. It got longer, sure, but also duller and dryer too. My scalp though, for the first time in my life, was happy. My partner despaired of me growing my hair long, since it was getting to be a frizzy, tangly nightmare that he didn't much like the look of. The last few inches were so grabby and embarrassing that I made a date with the scissors, but just before I did a big trim, I discovered chelating through advice here and after one use of a swimmers chelating/clarifying shampoo followed by an SMT, I had MY hair back again.

I kept trying to only clarify occasionally, but eventually admitted that it only ever looked nice for one "gentle" wash afterwards then rapidly got nasty again. I thought to myself, "you know - all those years when you were also abusing it, it was always so perfect. Maybe that old wash routine wasn't so bad for it after all?" So I gave it a go again, with two changes - keeping sulphates OFF my scalp (I use a sulphate free shampoo for the scalp only, and the Lush shampoo for the rest), and no "repeat" on the shampoo and it's been great ever since, my ends don't dry out anymore, it's so easy to comb, and it feels like silk again. It's still nice without the 'cones, but I love the extra slip and shine they give, and my hair has never responded that well to oils, so I added a heavy, 'coney condish back too, just like before, plus a silicone serum in place of oiling.

I'm not sure quite why this is the only routine that works for me (I suspect it might be a low porosity thing, but I don't know enough about the issue to be sure), but I'm just glad to have rediscovered what does!"

I actually stopped getting compliments on my hair when I was trying to do all the "right" things, whereas before I would get occasionally get strangers on the street asking me what products I used, and now those unsolicited compliments are flowing again :cheese: so clearly it's not just me that thinks it looks better.

Weewah
February 12th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I love co-washing so I don't think I'll be regularly using cones again. However I really like the Paul Mitchell Detangler conditioner which contains water soluble cones, so I'm kinda cheating. :) I'm satisfied with my cone-free styling products. I'm still holding onto my Tigi Bedhead just in case though, I use it about once a month during frustrating hair moments.

RancheroTheBee
February 12th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I use them occasionally, like if I'm planning on heat-styling. :shrug: To be honest, I've been using them more often lately because while I love how moisturized my hair looks, the curl pattern with such short hair is making me want to hide under a paper bag for the next six months and I see no point in growing out my hair if I'm just going to feel ugly the entire time.

AspenSong
February 12th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I've been cone free for a loooong time. I'd say, nearly all my time on the board - I did have a small two week stint where I used a coney conditioner and gave it right back up. I found out about going cone free, did it immediately and loved it and my hair loved it. However, I've been putting off a good 4" or so trim for a while now and just micro trimming and I recently turned to a coney leave-in because of tangles. A drop of it and my ends are smoother and can see a bit longer before a chop. So far, so good.
I don't think I'll ever get back to using cones the way I once did, but a little here and there is helpful to me at the moment.
The only drawback I've ever felt from not using coney conditioners for myself, was I missed the smells of my faves and it's always easier to find a cone loaded conditioner than a cone free one. But I think overall my hair has liked being mostly cone free more and that's worth it in the end.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 12th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I now have a couple of conditioners with silicones that resist building up (water soluble, amine functionalised) after three years without. Mostly because I wanted ceramides and they came as a 'package'. I would consider returning more seriously if I started having an issue with tangling at longer lengths but hope not to have to as my colour treated hair is way healthier and less poufy without shampoo.

I ended up enjoying the process of finding alternative ingredients to silicones that gave extra benefits, seeing my natural shine return as I grew out damaged hair. I now use plenty of the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants), natural oils, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol. If these are insufficient then I likely need to review how I am damaging my hair.

OOooohh, Firefox, I would love to know more about what alternatives you tried! Not exactly sure what ceramides or cationic surfactants are, what ingredient or product should I look for? Is hydrolysed protein somehow different? I keep seeing it listed as a sort-of silicone...

I think a lot of my cone dependence would reduce if 1) our water wasn't so darn hard and from such old pipes and 2) our weather wasn't so violently cold and dry. I just feel like the forces are stacked against me and a little extra cone-age helps the battle! That said...I'm still cone-free until after my catnip experiment...and maybe trying a few of your suggestions, Firefox? Thank you!

truepeacenik
February 12th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Winter and a coney conditioner on the last five inches or so is nice. Kirkland moisturizing.
I'm using cone free above that.m 365 everyday.

Hele
February 12th, 2014, 11:48 PM
after not using cones at all for a few years i decided to give a coney conditioner a try at the start of this winter. It worked great at first but after a couple weeks my hair started feeling drier than ever. So now i know it's definitely not for my hair and i just stick to oils instead. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with them after a spell of not using them, you might discover they're perfect for your hair.

Hypnotica
February 13th, 2014, 12:32 AM
I went back to cones after I started to approach knee just to keep the tangles away.

This is how I do it: I wsh with a low sulphate poo and condition with a non-cone conditioner and then use a few drops of a oil-cone leave-in after washing. I wash my hair about 2 times/week and find that I may need to clarify about once ever second month. So it is not too bad. Even when I was cone free, I still had to clarify from time to time.

spidermom
February 13th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I tried cone-free, too, and there were certain things I liked about it. The one thing I couldn't overcome was the tangling factor. It took so long to gently untangle my hair, and often by the time I had the second side tangle-free and combed out, the first side would be all tangled up again.

My shampoo and conditioner are cone-free, but I have a few different coney leave-ins: a spray gel and two serums. I only feel the need to do a clarifying wash every 2-3 months.

Oh, and I also do pre-wash coconut oilings and feel my hair benefits from that as well.

lapushka
February 13th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Perhaps those of us with fine hair need the extra protection cones provide?

Good point. I wonder about that myself! :)

slynr
February 13th, 2014, 07:27 AM
When I first joined LHC I went cone free and it worked pretty well. This winter I had sooo many tangles and was getting mechanical damage every time I washed. I went ahead and stayed cone free shampoo and conditioner but added a coney serum after a leave in and it has saved my hair this winter. I clarify/chelate about once a month just in case plus I have very hard water. It has worked well and I will continue doing this until I see signs it isnt working anymore I suppose.

So I have bailed on the never use cones idea. Now I know when they are necessary for me. I have fine hair that is prone to tangles so if it saves on the mechanical damage it is worth it for me.

Like Spidermom I also use coconut oil as a pre-poo but not every wash. If my hair is feeling a bit dry I will do a fingernail of coconut oil on the ends before I go to bed. My hair has been more manageable in the last few months than it has been for a while.

Beborani
February 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I never went off cones and haven't seen why it is beneficial to do so. I also cowash and I have never had buildup. I never clarify though in nearly one year since I have started cowashing, my hair has been shampooed a few times--at stylists' before cutting and once or twice while traveling.

sarahthegemini
February 13th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I have no interest in using cones again. My hair is soft, smooth, slippy and shiny. Despite being wavy, it barely tangles. Cones just weighed my hair down.

Firefox7275
February 13th, 2014, 09:25 AM
OOooohh, Firefox, I would love to know more about what alternatives you tried! Not exactly sure what ceramides or cationic surfactants are, what ingredient or product should I look for? Is hydrolysed protein somehow different? I keep seeing it listed as a sort-of silicone...

I think a lot of my cone dependence would reduce if 1) our water wasn't so darn hard and from such old pipes and 2) our weather wasn't so violently cold and dry. I just feel like the forces are stacked against me and a little extra cone-age helps the battle! That said...I'm still cone-free until after my catnip experiment...and maybe trying a few of your suggestions, Firefox? Thank you!

There are some great science based articles written for non scientists that I'd encourage you to read - see Natural Haven blog, 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay on Naturally Curly and the Sciencey Hairblog. You don't have to be a wavy/ curly/ kinky-coily head to benefit, we are all into strong healthy hair.

Silicones (artificial oils) are king for slip, also confer shine, softness and some patch repair damage. This is all superficial they don't generally penetrate. That can be a good thing but I wanted something more natural to hair (put back what is lost), ingredients that penetrate too, to boost strength and reduce porosity, to be able to co-wash exclusively. My hair is colour treated so effectively more damaged inside and out than its chronological age: old ends of very long hair could need much the same.

Fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants are your basic 'workhorse' ingredients of a creamy type conditioner. They give primarily softness, with some slip, shine and patch repairing. No routine (except WO/ SO) should be without these. They don't generally penetrate and most do not build up.

Hydrolysed protein is protein that is chopped small enough to stick to the cuticle and patch repair and also slip under the cuticle to penetrate. It can give strength, shine, elasticity, and help hair hold the right amount of water. Very useful in fine or damaged hair. Can be overused, less is more.

Ceramides are lipids (fats) found in the hairs protective cuticle, they help 'glue' it together. They are most useful in damaged hair but not young virgin roots where they are likely to just wash away from, and can partly penetrate as well as stick to the surface. The ceramides and protein are mimicking the components of a healthy virgin cuticle.

There is also 18-MEA which is another hair lipid (fat) that gives a water resistant coating to the surface but lost in damage (not just chemicals but sunlight and everyday grooming). Hard to come by in products so I am not using this. And also panthenol, closely related to vitamin B5, which is somewhat similar to protein in its properties but no risk of build up - widely found in products.

Lines that include two to three of these include Komaza Care Matani, Scientific Essentiàls, L'Oreal Elvive/ Advanced Haircare. With hardcore silicones: Redken Anti Snap.

I also use natural oils either as an ingredient in my leave in conditioner or a pre-wash treatment (coconut as per the research). I am currently using more oil in winter/ low dews and more hydrolysed protein in summer/ higher dews. Hoping to use ceramides and panthenol year round.

jupiterinleo
February 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM
That was very informative, Firefox. :flower:

I think cones might even be mandatory--or at least super useful--for my fine/dense hair type, as it has huge tangling tendencies. I use milder sulfate shampoos so I try to look for water-soluble ones.

Henna Girl
February 13th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I have been cone free for more than 3 years. They weigh my fine hair down and make it too slippery that it won't hold any style. Pins and clips would keep slipping off. I can't see why I would want yo use them anymore.

Chiquita Banana
February 13th, 2014, 10:50 AM

I agree in that the longer my length, the more I found my hair in need of cones. I went cone-free for 5 or 6 years but it was back when my hair teetered between APL to BSL. And it was great. I wasn't only cone-free - I was completely chemical-free - and I loved it. But once my hair got to be around MBL, I slowly began to realize that I needed to try cones again. So, I did. And wow - it's made a big difference with my hair. Everyone's hair is different and you just have to experiment to find what works for you. And that can change over time!

Beborani
February 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I will also add that I have the advantage of knowing what my 100% tailbone/classic virgin hair that had never seen even shampoo looks like and it wasnt pretty without postwash coconut oil. Judicious use of siicone serum, mineral oil, leavein conditioners and vegetable/nut oils make my hair easy to manage or I'd have to revert to coconut oil which will only allow limited styling options--up or in braid. I also dont understand why people assume you need shampoo to remove non-water soluble silicones. Those siicones are soluble in oil and any prewash oiling wiill assist in their removal with conditioners.

Agnes Hannah
February 13th, 2014, 11:13 AM
My poos are cone free although I have some lying around (Tresemme) but rarely use these now. I twice condition, so my first condish is also cone free, but on the second dose of condish, I have started trying cones again, but just on the last 3 to 4 inches of my ends mainly to seal in the goodness from the first condish application. I also use oils and serums and the serums are probably coney. They do provide the slip I need to prevent tangles, and they seem to help my hair hold the goodness from the first condish. My ends feel lovely at the minute, although I did like the texture of cone free. I'll just keep experimenting until I get the routine right for my hair.

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I find a modification of the tightly curly method works best for my coarse curly hair. I tried going cone free and would just be breaking all my hair off detangling without the slip cones give. Cone free was a disaster and catnip rinses don't work for me either.

ositarosita
February 13th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I co wash with cones about 5 days a week, spray in my leave in/ detangler then seal with a coney serum. I only shampoo (heavy SLS) about once a month so I also end up chelating. I have no problem with build up, don't get tangles and I find my hair stays really moisturised. The key is to deep condition the day you shampoo so there's nothing coming between the deep conditioner and your hair. You just need to find what works best for you

mrs_coffee
February 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I've gone back. I was cone free for a while and it was fine, but eventually my hair got really dull and dry and, what I call "crispy" feeling. I tried oiling and other methods to make it soft again, but the only thing that gives me the softness and shine that I like are the coney products. I just need to clarify every once in a while to get rid of build-up.

Panth
February 13th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Both 'cone-free and catnip were an unmitigated disaster for me. Oil-shampoo method ('cone free) was good until I hit saturation, then I yo-yoed between underconditioned hair and 'otter in an oilslick' (oh, except for the fact that even when working perfectly I had serious issues with static).

For me, 'cones are the best option, principally because of the easy detangling and the anti-static properties.

Night_Kitten
February 13th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I was cone-free for almost 4 years (since May 2010), and recently (2 weeks ago) went back to a cony conditioner (Pantene)...
So far I've experienced a LOT more slip - so much that updoes became challenging to secure, and a bit more shine.
I haven't changed anything else in my routine (SLS free shampoo, conditioner - now with cones instead of the cone-free one, ACV rinse, air-drying, a bit of coconut oil on the bottom half of the length as leave-in), wash once a week...
I'll update as more time goes buy and it becomes clearer if there are any other effects...

I have no idea what the effect of CO-washing with a cony conditioner would be, never tried... I imagine that if most of the cones in the conditioner were water soluble it wouldn't cause substantial build-up between the shampooings? I'm just guessing though...

Firefox7275
February 13th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I have no idea what the effect of CO-washing with a cony conditioner would be, never tried... I imagine that if most of the cones in the conditioner were water soluble it wouldn't cause substantial build-up between the shampooings? I'm just guessing though...

Water soluble (PEG-) or amine functionalised (eg amodimethicone) all resist building up, so yes may be compatible with conditioner only washing. There are some on the co-washing thread who go this route.

Pamala513
February 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I was cone free for 2 yeRs, and just recently went back to cones in my co only. I use Herbal Essences zero. My heari has never felt better. Before cones, it was dry and brittle and tangled so easily. No it is softer and easier to manage.

I do still shampoo daily with organic shampoo,but then use the cones in my co

rcblinn
February 15th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Yes, am in the same boat as you are. I love the slip cones give my hair, the softness and shine. However the shampoos that tend to accompany these make my scalp super dry and itchy due to the SLS/ALS, etc. I generally avoid them now and just CO with Suave/VO5 and clarify once in awhile. But I sure do the miss using cones!

ErinLeigh
February 16th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I found a few conditioners with water soluble cones only. Yea
I am still grappling with the coconut oil thing tho.
Archived threads have posts from ktani saying coconut oil will not penetrate over cones. It also said it won't penetrate over conditioned hair. Basically hair needs clarified and only them can the coconut oil penetrate.
I am about to lose my mind wondering if I have been wasting my time pre pooing or pre oil cowashes.

One of my big reasons for skipping cones was to give hair time to absorb coconut oil and get stronger.
The other was to get more moisture into hair without cones blocking it. Did only half of this experiment work?

Is it true what ktani said that conditioned hair is patched and therefore the coconut oil is merely costing the shaft ?
What benefit is there when shaft is only coated and not penetrated?
I need serious help

jacqueline101
February 16th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I did no cones for about two months. I missed my slip and shine. I have to have my cones.

YamaMaya
February 16th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I've developed a cone free way to keep my hair nice and tangle free. I use Dr Organic aloe vera shampoo and conditioner, and oil after washing while it's still wet, a few passes with the TT to get it smooth, then let it dry until slightly damp then braid until dry.

arr
February 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
ErinLeigh, sometimes when i feel confused about the research and what works and doesn't work, i stop and ask myself, how does my hair feel with what I'm doing? For instance, the research says you need to leave coconut oil in for at least 12 hours for it to do its thing. Well, sometimes that doesn't work for me so i leave it in for a few hours, and to be honest, i don't notice any discernible difference between 4 hours or 12. Either way, my hair feels better than using no oil at all. Also, i always oil over conditioned hair or hair that has mineral oil on it, and i feel like i still get good effects from it. So you might try just doing what makes your hair feel the best. Try coconut oil on conditioned hair and on unconditioned hair and see what you notice. If you don't notice much, then it probably doesn't matter. Same goes for coconut oil over cones. Just try it both ways and see if you notice a difference. By the way, from your pictures i think you have beautiful hair that looks healthy so you must be doing something right.

divinedobbie
February 16th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Archived threads have posts from ktani saying coconut oil will not penetrate over cones. It also said it won't penetrate over conditioned hair. Basically hair needs clarified and only them can the coconut oil penetrate.
I am about to lose my mind wondering if I have been wasting my time pre pooing or pre oil cowashes.

One of my big reasons for skipping cones was to give hair time to absorb coconut oil and get stronger.
The other was to get more moisture into hair without cones blocking it. Did only half of this experiment work?

Is it true what ktani said that conditioned hair is patched and therefore the coconut oil is merely costing the shaft ?
I need serious help

That is an interesting thought...It never came to me because I dont use coconut oil right now but if its true, I think it would be a big factor on my decision on whether or not to use cones.

Here is an article that addresses this though: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/10/reader-questions-week-silicones-and.html From what I understand, its saying that some coconut oil is likely penetrating even through silicones but on the other hand, theres no evidence. I read through a few more articles on other sites about coconut oil penetrating over silicones but no one really has an answer. I believe that if you're using low-buildup conditioners, the coconut oil will still penetrate. If hair is conditioned to a saturation point and has lots of buildup then I can agree with ktani that the coconut oil will only coat the hair but in your situation, I don't think that's true.

However in the scenario that the the coconut oil is only coating the hair and not penetrating, I would guess its benefits would be the same as any other oil that doesnt penetrate hair - shine/softness. Im not exactly sure on the science of it, but I think it would act as a humectant then?

divinedobbie
February 16th, 2014, 01:13 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-32755.html

I just found this.

In it, ktani says "I think that it very much depends on how much silicone is in the products. Not just silicone can block penetrating oils. Other oils that do not penetrate the hair can too like jojoba oil or a butter like shea butter can as well. It depends on how much of the other products are on the hair. If you have build-up you are not going to get as much penetration from coconut oil either. I would not worry too much about it. See what results you get at any given time and then you can clarify or not. You do not have to use anything harsh to do that. A simple shampoo for normal hair can work to clarify hair without being harsh."

So like I imagined, it depends on the build up. If you are using water soluble silicones or low buildup cones, I don't see coconut oil being affected much if at all.

Lyv
February 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I was cone free but I switched back to cones last week. I didn't have a problem with being cone free but I really wanted to try Herbal Essences Naked cleansing conditioner and it has dimethicone in it. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair at all since I switched. I think I'll still CWC with sulfate/silicone free products once a week though.

renia22
February 16th, 2014, 04:29 PM

I need serious help

Which conditioners did you find with water soluble silicones only besides Paul Mitchell? (I'm curious too :)

Are you familiar with the beauty brains (www.thebeautybrains.com) It's a couple of scientists who answer beauty questions based on science. Very helpful info, I have their books and use the website often. I was not able to find an answer to coconut oil being used over silicone products specifically, but here's an article asking if oils in formulas with silicones can still penetrate hair. The "left brain" scientist answers yes. Check it out:

http://imabeautygeek.com/2012/01/06/f-is-for-frizz-busters-oil-is-nice-but-crazy-cat-lady-hair-needs-silicone/#axzz2tWuVFjz9

patienceneeded
February 16th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I did the cone-free thing back when I joined LHC in 2010. I've given it a few tries, but just don't like my hair without cones. I have no heat or dye damage anymore, my ends don't split anymore (6 months since my last trim) and my hair recently passed waist for the second time. Without cones I have dry, tangled hair that looks and feels awful. With cones I love my hair. So, I use cones and don't really ever want to stop.

sourgrl
February 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm considering keeping cones in my routine. During the summer I was cone free and loved it. I added cones (conditioner and serum) this winter to help seal in moisture. Yesterday I did not use my coney conditioner and noticed a lack of slip when I combed my hair. I think having that extra slip is better for my hair and the cones in the conditioner don't weigh my waves down. With or without cones my hair is soft and shiney. A coney conditioner gives me just enough slip when I'm combing damp hair. Adding a coney serum gives me too much slip which sometimes makes up dos a pain in the buns.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 16th, 2014, 09:06 PM
There are some great science based articles written for non scientists that I'd encourage you to read - see Natural Haven blog, 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay on Naturally Curly and the Sciencey Hairblog. You don't have to be a wavy/ curly/ kinky-coily head to benefit, we are all into strong healthy hair.

Silicones (artificial oils) are king for slip, also confer shine, softness and some patch repair damage. This is all superficial they don't generally penetrate. That can be a good thing but I wanted something more natural to hair (put back what is lost), ingredients that penetrate too, to boost strength and reduce porosity, to be able to co-wash exclusively. My hair is colour treated so effectively more damaged inside and out than its chronological age: old ends of very long hair could need much the same.

Fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants are your basic 'workhorse' ingredients of a creamy type conditioner. They give primarily softness, with some slip, shine and patch repairing. No routine (except WO/ SO) should be without these. They don't generally penetrate and most do not build up.

Hydrolysed protein is protein that is chopped small enough to stick to the cuticle and patch repair and also slip under the cuticle to penetrate. It can give strength, shine, elasticity, and help hair hold the right amount of water. Very useful in fine or damaged hair. Can be overused, less is more.

Ceramides are lipids (fats) found in the hairs protective cuticle, they help 'glue' it together. They are most useful in damaged hair but not young virgin roots where they are likely to just wash away from, and can partly penetrate as well as stick to the surface. The ceramides and protein are mimicking the components of a healthy virgin cuticle.

There is also 18-MEA which is another hair lipid (fat) that gives a water resistant coating to the surface but lost in damage (not just chemicals but sunlight and everyday grooming). Hard to come by in products so I am not using this. And also panthenol, closely related to vitamin B5, which is somewhat similar to protein in its properties but no risk of build up - widely found in products.

Lines that include two to three of these include Komaza Care Matani, Scientific Essentiàls, L'Oreal Elvive/ Advanced Haircare. With hardcore silicones: Redken Anti Snap.

I also use natural oils either as an ingredient in my leave in conditioner or a pre-wash treatment (coconut as per the research). I am currently using more oil in winter/ low dews and more hydrolysed protein in summer/ higher dews. Hoping to use ceramides and panthenol year round.

Thank you Firefox! I will have to research...although I'm worried if I do I'll spend even more money... ;)

hairpleasegrow
February 16th, 2014, 10:23 PM
before you go back to cones perhaps try Intelligent Nutrients, it is a line of shampoos and conditioners created by the same guy that started aveda. I find it very good / smoothing on my fine hair, and I don't have a need to use cones anymore. They have a serum as well that may work for you in place of cones.

Anyuta
February 16th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I just went back to cones again, did a simple coney-poo-co wash. The first day my hair was gorgeous and shiny, silky. Next day I wake up and it's all sticky, full of cowlicks and totally unmanageable! Had to clarify... I have noticed that because my hair is so thin, one night is enough to wreak a havoc and it particularly gets sticky even though my scalp is still dry and clean. This is what I hate about cones, is that they don't last long on my hair. Guess I will have to go back to oils to control moisture, at least I can decide when I want my hair to be oily if I am about to wash it.

Flor
February 16th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I use cone-ed conditioner every now and then, after being cones-free for a year. I also use SLS shampoo, again every now and then, after a whole year of shampoo bars only. I basically don't have a routine at all anymore. I just do whatever feels right at the moment. I don't have a washing schedule anymore either. Sometimes I can go 2 days between washes, sometimes 4. It also depends on whether having freshly washed hair is important for me aesthetically on that day. I no longer believe that stretching washes "trains" one's scalp sebum production. And then I am about to wash, I try to assess what cleansing/conditioning method my hair needs.

Heard of "mindful eating"? Well, I guess this is "mindful hair care" I'm doing now. No over-analyzing, just do what feels right.

Weewah
February 17th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I'm also interested to know which conditioners besides the Paul Mitchell Detangler contain only water-soluble cones, because I'd like to try them:)

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 11:08 AM
ErinLeigh, sometimes when i feel confused about the research and what works and doesn't work, i stop and ask myself, how does my hair feel with what I'm doing? For instance, the research says you need to leave coconut oil in for at least 12 hours for it to do its thing. Well, sometimes that doesn't work for me so i leave it in for a few hours, and to be honest, i don't notice any discernible difference between 4 hours or 12. Either way, my hair feels better than using no oil at all. Also, i always oil over conditioned hair or hair that has mineral oil on it, and i feel like i still get good effects from it. So you might try just doing what makes your hair feel the best. Try coconut oil on conditioned hair and on unconditioned hair and see what you notice. If you don't notice much, then it probably doesn't matter. Same goes for coconut oil over cones. Just try it both ways and see if you notice a difference. By the way, from your pictures i think you have beautiful hair that looks healthy so you must be doing something right.

Thank you for saying that. My avatar is me with cones..and signature is naked hair. I can see the difference in shine.
The first few month without cones went great. I really felt some moisture coming in. I was oiling over conditioned hair and it seemed to work well. I am testing over non conditioned clarified hair now and will post back after I wash if I notice a difference. I mean why is hair getting drier now? I added oils and cowashes and low poos. Also clarified and chelated regularly. I was amazed at results. Why is it not working as well as it did? Hair seems to be slowly getting weaker and I think it is crying out for that coney protection.

I used sulfate free and heavy cones before and while it worked for a while I eventually got buildup and didn't know. This time I know what to look for and will use water soluble to start and see if that helps. Will also WCC using a cone free conditioner first to get a little extra conditioning and moisture in. I blow dry and really think cones do protect better against blow dry damage.

I am thinking I am just going to do what you say and see what works for me. The internet has so many ideas with different variables and too many different hair types to be a one size fits all. I can at almost anytime find 2 separate thread on this board with 2 different answers/results to a method. Recent and archived threads have very different responses I notice.

Thank you again for your post. Its nice to be understood in my madness :)

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I wish I knew how to answer multiple posts at once. as I want to reply to all of you. Thanks you for the links and advise.
Seriously this has been a tough choice for me and I appreciate the input so much!

Panth..reading about the oil shampoo method is what got my head spinning about the whole needing clarified hair to get the oils in :) Thanks for sharing your input on that topic. BTW, how do you know when you reached saturation?

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I've gone back. I was cone free for a while and it was fine, but eventually my hair got really dull and dry and, what I call "crispy" feeling. I tried oiling and other methods to make it soft again, but the only thing that gives me the softness and shine that I like are the coney products. I just need to clarify every once in a while to get rid of build-up.

same here. it was lovely at first being cone free...then slowly the dull, dry. crispies are beginning to set in. I think am going to alternate and switch it up. use cones...then wash them out and do cowashes and oils for a few days..then cones ...lather rinse repeat.

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Well looks like only Paul Mitchell Tea Tree and Detangler now. My ORS one has a PEG Dimeticone but at the verrry bottom of ingredients I found a regular Dimethicone. Still small enough amount I may try it anyway but I am disappointed I found it on there,

On my cone free journy I found great products and have a ton to use up so I am going to just do what feels right each day. ANd my sticking to water soluble at least I wont have to stress so much about goung back and forth.

I heard some of the renpures have water soluble but need to find the ingredients to verify this.

renia22
February 18th, 2014, 05:16 PM
arr's idea of mixing it up and doing whatever makes your hair look and feel it's best is a good one, and pretty much what I am doing at the moment too. A few years ago I did silicone free for a while, and then slowly added them back, and find that alternating products works best for me. Interesting, silicones have such a reputation, but cationic polymers can build up even worse than certain silicones:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17032&page=4
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-used-in-hair-care-products-cationic-polymers
I noticed this with the retro Herbal Essences shampoo, which does not contain silicones, but starts to make my hair funny if I don't rotate it with something else. So I checked the ingredients, and sure enough, cationic polymers x_x! This is also true of some silicone free conditioners. And other ingredients can build up too, even in the "natural" ones. So at any rate, I did go back to silicones, but I rotate products often and make sure to clarify/ chelate as needed.

Nadine <3
February 18th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I go back and forth. Depends on what sort of style I'm going for or what I feel like. I've been using a lot of cones to help with tangles, but if 'm wearing hair up a lot I don't use them because it makes my hair to slippery. I like using my cone free shampoo and condish and following up with a coney serum on my ends. That way the whole head of hair isnt a tangled mess, but it had some grip to it still :)

Chromis
February 18th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I wish I knew how to answer multiple posts at once. as I want to reply to all of you. Thanks you for the links and advise.
Seriously this has been a tough choice for me and I appreciate the input so much!

Panth..reading about the oil shampoo method is what got my head spinning about the whole needing clarified hair to get the oils in :) Thanks for sharing your input on that topic. BTW, how do you know when you reached saturation?

Hit the little wee button next to "reply to quote" on each post you would like to respond to. Then click the big reply button at the bottom of the thread and all the quotes will appear. Like :magic: !

divinedobbie
February 18th, 2014, 09:37 PM
arr's idea of mixing it up and doing whatever makes your hair look and feel it's best is a good one, and pretty much what I am doing at the moment too. A few years ago I did silicone free for a while, and then slowly added them back, and find that alternating products works best for me. Interesting, silicones have such a reputation, but cationic polymers can build up even worse than certain silicones:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-used-in-hair-care-products-cationic-polymers
I noticed this with the retro Herbal Essences shampoo, which does not contain silicones, but starts to make my hair funny if I don't rotate it with something else. So I checked the ingredients, and sure enough, cationic polymers x_x! This is also true of some silicone free conditioners. And other ingredients can build up too, even in the "natural" ones. So at any rate, I did go back to silicones, but I rotate products often and make sure to clarify/ chelate as needed.

I was JUST going to mention that about cationic polymers, specifically polyquaternium compounds. Here is a very good article describing the different polyquats and their build up potential. I always keep this (shortened) list in my purse when I go shopping:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/11/polyquat-or-not.html

I'm going kind of crazy without cones. My hair gets really tangled and hard to comb creating even more damage so I think I really need the slip. I don't remember if it was this bad with cones too, I guess I'll see :shrug: I doubt I'll even wait to finish this cone free conditioner. I'm just going to go buy one in all of its (low buildup) cone-y goodness tomorrow and start using it right away. I tried coconut oil again but it leaves my hair positively greasy. I did a protein and moisture deep treatment and neither helped so cones are my last resort.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Hit the little wee button next to "reply to quote" on each post you would like to respond to. Then click the big reply button at the bottom of the thread and all the quotes will appear. Like :magic: !

Awesome thank you ! I will be so much less annoying now hopefully

Chromis
February 19th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Awesome thank you ! I will be so much less annoying now hopefully

Hehe, I didn't find it annoying myself, but I was more like "Ooooh, I know this one!, lemme help!" :lol:

renia22
February 19th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I was JUST going to mention that about cationic polymers, specifically polyquaternium compounds. Here is a very good article describing the different polyquats and their build up potential. I always keep this (shortened) list in my purse when I go shopping:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/11/polyquat-or-not.html

I'm going kind of crazy without cones. My hair gets really tangled and hard to comb creating even more damage so I think I really need the slip. I don't remember if it was this bad with cones too, I guess I'll see :shrug: I doubt I'll even wait to finish this cone free conditioner. I'm just going to go buy one in all of its (low buildup) cone-y goodness tomorrow and start using it right away. I tried coconut oil again but it leaves my hair positively greasy. I did a protein and moisture deep treatment and neither helped so cones are my last resort.

How funny, we had the same thought! I'm going to hang on to the link you posted. Funny, my shampoos are all silicone free, but a few of them do in fact have some cationic polymers. Interesting how effective anti-ingredient advertising can be :/

divinedobbie, you can always try adding in a few products with silicones back into your routine and see what happens. Maybe you'll like it if you rotate back & forth between silicone free & some silicones. You can always clarify or do silicone free for a while if your hair feels too slippery. I've been doing that for a couple of years now, and my hair has been fine with it. Nothing "bad" happened, it's much easier to comb and I lose fewer hairs. It's worth a shot!

sourgrl
February 19th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I go back and forth. Depends on what sort of style I'm going for or what I feel like. I've been using a lot of cones to help with tangles, but if 'm wearing hair up a lot I don't use them because it makes my hair to slippery. I like using my cone free shampoo and condish and following up with a coney serum on my ends. That way the whole head of hair isnt a tangled mess, but it had some grip to it still :)

I think this is the route I'm going to go. My hair feels better without cones but can be too slippy for buns with them. I think using them when I wear it down (about once a week) will give it some added protection.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Such a great point. When I first went cone free I thought I would be buildup free. Not that simple.
Most of my products are loaded with polyquats or shea butters so what was I so afraid of with the cones?
It's really not as simple as avoiding cones. It's about what makes your hair look and feel best. I am finally coming back around to understanding that. Keeping an eye on what works and what doesn't is better for me and I have to remember that.

When I first experimented cone free I still used cones for special events. It let me the hair I wanted when I needed it. Somewhere during that process hair started looking better without cones so I went completely cone free. That's when the fear set in. Somehow I became coneaphobic. But now as season is changing hair is crying out for cones again so I need to adapt. Letting go of preconceived ideas is something I have to do again.

What truly works best for me is alternating. Cones for certain times and cone free for other needs. I like knowing I could mix it up and feel silly I went so far cone free that I lost my sense of balance.
There is no reason to not have the best of both worlds. I got so caught up in oils I forgot there could be a place for both.

Oh and thank you for the links

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Hehe, I didn't find it annoying myself, but I was more like "Ooooh, I know this one!, lemme help!" :lol:

Ha I know that feeling. It's like "girl I got this!"
I do appreciate a lot tho. Will come in quite handy. :)
I love your hair so much btw.

renia22
February 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Such a great point. When I first went cone free I thought I would be buildup free. Not that simple.
Most of my products are loaded with polyquats or shea butters so what was I so afraid of with the cones?
It's really not as simple as avoiding cones. It's about what makes your hair look and feel best. I am finally coming back around to understanding that. Keeping an eye on what works and what doesn't is better for me and I have to remember that.

When I first experimented cone free I still used cones for special events. It let me the hair I wanted when I needed it. Somewhere during that process hair started looking better without cones so I went completely cone free. That's when the fear set in. Somehow I became coneaphobic. But now as season is changing hair is crying out for cones again so I need to adapt. Letting go of preconceived ideas is something I have to do again.

Coneaphobic, LOL, totally. That was me around 2009-2011/12 or so. So true about the Shea butter & various other ingredients, I noticed that with some of the richer Aubrey Organics and other "natural" conditioners too. Last night I checked my shampoos because sometimes I don't think to look because if the shampoo is clear, I figure I'm fine, but funny how many silicone free shampoos I have with other ingredients that can build up. But they all work very nicely & I am a frequent clarifier so I haven't noticed anything scary happening. Thanks for the thread, I can totally relate, as others surely can too. A nice reminder to use what works :)

meteor
February 19th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Cones are no bogeyman. I like cones, I just make sure not to use them all the time. I rotate my products between coney and cone-free and that alone helps avoid build-up. I think of silicones as "artificial oils" and the best providers of slip. Oils build up too, by the way, but I'm not going to avoid them.

Ambystoma
February 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM
ErinLeigh - perhaps you might benefit from doing what I did when I knew my routine wasn't working, but I wasn't sure quite what was doing (or not doing) what. It sounds a little crazy, but I put a free organiser type program on my desktop, and every wash I only changed one thing at a time, wrote down exactly what I did, rated the results of that wash out of 10 :laugh:, made a few notes, and gradually a pattern started forming in the data for each ingredient/product. It really helped me untangle the cause and effect part of getting a great, consistent routine going, so I'd recommend it to anyone who is trying to fine tune things! Of course, for me that just led to me going back to my pre LHC routine, (I'm still experimenting though, this week I added a weak ACV rinse and have tried it out with both my favourite conditioners and the results are superb, so that's part of the routine now) but at least now I know the exact effect of every individual component.

ebba
February 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I was cone free for about 9 months and it isn't for me ATM. When I am cone free my hair is incredibly curly and looks super short.. like 5 inches shorter. With my short hair I need all the visual length I can get lol.

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 11:22 AM
ErinLeigh - perhaps you might benefit from doing what I did when I knew my routine wasn't working, but I wasn't sure quite what was doing (or not doing) what. It sounds a little crazy, but I put a free organiser type program on my desktop, and every wash I only changed one thing at a time, wrote down exactly what I did, rated the results of that wash out of 10 :laugh:, made a few notes, and gradually a pattern started forming in the data for each ingredient/product. It really helped me untangle the cause and effect part of getting a great, consistent routine going, so I'd recommend it to anyone who is trying to fine tune things! Of course, for me that just led to me going back to my pre LHC routine, (I'm still experimenting though, this week I added a weak ACV rinse and have tried it out with both my favourite conditioners and the results are superb, so that's part of the routine now) but at least now I know the exact effect of every individual component.

That is such a good idea. And funny enough I bet my pre LHC routine would end up having a lot of parts I bring back.
The only thing I worry about with journaling currently is my hair is ever changing right now. I still have keratin in my hair and I am growing out damage so what works and what doesn't is so ever changing. I think it was a really bad idea to chemically alter my hair so much. It is so hard to get to know it again!

I may try this anyway to see if I get a jive on what what is changing so I know how to react to it.
Need to figure out what is temperature, product and chemical effecting my hair

Selkie-
May 4th, 2014, 05:01 AM
I have gone back to cones after a couple of months cone-free and am loving it.

Cone-free just didn't work for me - it resulted in dry hair, breakage and less shine. Using cones again has restored my hair to silkiness with less breakage and shedding. I think fine hair types like mine often do well with cones.

At the moment I am loving L'Oreal Evercreme Masque which is high on amodimethicone - my hair drinks it in. I don't use sulphate-based shampoo but an organic shampoo with cocoamidopropyl betaine and I have no issues with build-up at all.

eadwine
May 4th, 2014, 05:21 AM
I have been cone free since I started growing my hair, went back to cones somewhere last year. No particular reason, I just liked the shampoo :lol: It doesn't make a difference whatsoever on my hair, so *shrug* I am not bothering with cones and no cones anymore :)

eva888
May 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I'm glad you started this thread! I am thinking about going back to just A-cone and PEG-cones. These were my favorite conditioners that I put away in the closet when I decided to do the cone-free thing. My hair does well with them and I never have seemed to get any buildup from them.

My hair has felt more healthy recently but I've had such a huge problem with tangling - no matter how much leave-in product I use. My hair will feel great in the shower and the second I squeeze out the water it's like a clump of tangles.

The last time I went cone free I went back to cones because my hair felt very fluffy. It wasn't damaged at all (lovely virgin hair! :blossom:) so it was doing great but I missed the smoothness. I think I am going to go back again!

vindo
May 4th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Cones certainly don't prevent splits..:confused: Longhairs argue a lot about cones but there is evidence that they can contribute to damage and then there is evidence that claims it is not true. I feel they remain questionable though, so they would not be my first choice.

I have been cone free since 2006. At first my hair certainly wasn't as shiny as it was with cones, when it's quality improved though it got more managable and later I found cone free products that give far better slip and shine without the gunk than cone heavy products. Earthly Delight conditioner and also SANTE are among the ones who do this. :)

eva888
May 4th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Cones certainly don't prevent splits..:confused: Longhairs argue a lot about cones but there is evidence that they can contribute to damage and then there is evidence that claims it is not true. I feel they remain questionable though, so they would not be my first choice.

I have been cone free since 2006. At first my hair certainly wasn't as shiny as it was with cones, when it's quality improved though it got more managable and later I found cone free products that give far better slip and shine without the gunk than cone heavy products. Earthly Delight conditioner and also SANTE are among the ones who do this. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! Where do you find Earthly Delight conditioner in Europe? I haven't seen it anywhere except the US.

Wildcat Diva
May 4th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I'm going to go back and forth between "Piggy" (beloved LHC'er) style cones and no cones. My ends are sun-bleached and a little damaged, and need some extra protection as I grow them out. They are not full of splits or white dots yet. They get full of tangles easily.

I have no problems using the cones found in the Fall Fight or Ice Shine conditioners, although I lose my waves. I can go back and forth as needed with no hair buildup drama, so far anyway. I do use a CWC method, only occasional sulfates to clarify. I only wash about every five days or more. So at six washes a month, I'm not seeing a lot of issues with buildup.

Nope
May 4th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I've been mostly cone free for a couple of years now, but every now and then I try cones again out of boredom. I don't know when I'll learn that cones just don't work for me. They always make my hair very flat and Velcro-ey. However, I have recently discovered that my hair reacts very well with a certain sulfate shampoo and have been using it more often, so maybe cones would work better for me now that I'm using that. Hair is so sensitive, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Johannah
May 4th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I started to use it again since 1 - 2 months ago, my hair is a lot happier (+ let's be honest, it's way much easier to find products :rolleyes:)

bunnylake
May 5th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I find that my hair does best with a coney leave-in serum, and a cone free rinse-out conditioner. My hair gets weighed down very easily and I'm still trying to figure out what products are best for my hair type.
I've never experience build up with cones, though. I usually get some mild build up with certain natural products, like Shea Moisture & Natures Gate.
Ive got back and forth over the past couple of years and ultimately I think the cones were good for my hair when it was long but now that's it's short I really don't need them.

ErinLeigh
May 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Emichiee it is interesting you mentioned Earthly Delight. I have had that in my cart for ages. It has fantastic reviews and I think it's time to buy it and test it out. I actually think the best part of going cone free for me was finding some really good products that actually assisted in improving the condition of my hair. I think the majority of my routine will remain cone free as it gave me hair that I was finally happy with.

Eva when I posted this that is what I was going through. I felt hair was in the best condition it had been in a really long time...then out of no where I was getting tangles that I could hear snapping when I combed thru. Those little strands sticking together type that when the comb ran down snapped instead of separated. I even started noticed actual knots for the first time ever.
I haven't made the move yet..but with summer coning I am there. I have a huge jar of Loreal Natural Mega Moisture which I know makes my hair tangle free, and I have a large bottle of the Paul Mitchell Water soluble coney stuff. I am going to try the conditioner next wash and probably add it back once in a while. I co wash now so kept away but I have Curl Junkie Cleansing Conditoner in my rotation that removes cones so I think I am safe to use cones and just uset he Curl Junkie the wash following to get them off.
I guess my plan is to keep current routine, but pull out the cones when I need extra protection on my fine strands, or when the tangles rear their head. Us girls have the right to change our minds often. hehe

vindo
May 5th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! Where do you find Earthly Delight conditioner in Europe? I haven't seen it anywhere except the US.

There are sites that now ship to other countries. I think iHerb is one of them and maybe Lucky Vitamin? I think even Willner Chemists changed their shipping.
Funny thing is, after I started using ED in 2007, I promoted it everywhere and back them I had a lot of exposure on German Forums so it quickly became very known and everyone loved it. That is when sellers started catering to European customers :lol:.

Longhairs like to do group orders because the shipping can be up to $20.

Nadine <3
May 5th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I use light cones like the ones in Garnier Hydra Recharge. LOOOVE that shampoo/conditioner combo, and I can CO wash for every other wash without getting buildup. The heavy cones make my fine hair look really flat and stringy. It also gets dirtier faster, so I can't use them anymore.

vindo
May 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Emichiee it is interesting you mentioned Earthly Delight. I have had that in my cart for ages. It has fantastic reviews and I think it's time to buy it and test it out. I actually think the best part of going cone free for me was finding some really good products that actually assisted in improving the condition of my hair. I think the majority of my routine will remain cone free as it gave me hair that I was finally happy with.

Eva when I posted this that is what I was going through. I felt hair was in the best condition it had been in a really long time...then out of no where I was getting tangles that I could hear snapping when I combed thru. Those little strands sticking together type that when the comb ran down snapped instead of separated. I even started noticed actual knots for the first time ever.
I haven't made the move yet..but with summer coning I am there. I have a huge jar of Loreal Natural Mega Moisture which I know makes my hair tangle free, and I have a large bottle of the Paul Mitchell Water soluble coney stuff. I am going to try the conditioner next wash and probably add it back once in a while. I co wash now so kept away but I have Curl Junkie Cleansing Conditoner in my rotation that removes cones so I think I am safe to use cones and just uset he Curl Junkie the wash following to get them off.
I guess my plan is to keep current routine, but pull out the cones when I need extra protection on my fine strands, or when the tangles rear their head. Us girls have the right to change our minds often. hehe

When I started using ED part of my hair was still dyed with chemicals. That part wasn't as problem free as the rest. But I felt like the conditioner actually nourished my hair and at classic length it was tangle free and split free :) I wore it down often, never had a problem. :)

The only downside for me was that ED was a bit too heavy for my hairtype and it took my fluff away ;). I have been doing welm with Sante, which is similar but lighter. When I get the chance for a group order I might get myself some ED in the future though. I really liked the scent too.

ErinLeigh
May 5th, 2014, 04:51 PM
I started to use it again since 1 - 2 months ago, my hair is a lot happier (+ let's be honest, it's way much easier to find products :rolleyes:)
So true. And why do the the great smelling products have cones. My cone free ones all smell neutral Wah!

I find that my hair does best with a coney leave-in serum, and a cone free rinse-out conditioner. My hair gets weighed down very easily and I'm still trying to figure out what products are best for my hair type.
I've never experience build up with cones, though. I usually get some mild build up with certain natural products, like Shea Moisture & Natures Gate.
Ive got back and forth over the past couple of years and ultimately I think the cones were good for my hair when it was long but now that's it's short I really don't need them.
Shea Moisture leaves me with a little "something" also. Maybe a coating?
I can also see you not needing cones at the shorter length. You use great products and probably have less tangles now so I can see where there isn't a need. Your hair is so gorgeous that anything you use is going to look great anyway :)

I've been mostly cone free for a couple of years now, but every now and then I try cones again out of boredom. I don't know when I'll learn that cones just don't work for me. They always make my hair very flat and Velcro-ey. However, I have recently discovered that my hair reacts very well with a certain sulfate shampoo and have been using it more often, so maybe cones would work better for me now that I'm using that. Hair is so sensitive, isn't it?:rolleyes:
Sulfates and cones always worked well together for me. Sometimes I think back and that is when my routine was at its simplest and I really was fine then. No complaints. Had I not damaged my hair I would still be doing it today.

I'm going to go back and forth between "Piggy" (beloved LHC'er) style cones and no cones. My ends are sun-bleached and a little damaged, and need some extra protection as I grow them out. They are not full of splits or white dots yet. They get full of tangles easily.

I have no problems using the cones found in the Fall Fight or Ice Shine conditioners, although I lose my waves. I can go back and forth as needed with no hair buildup drama, so far anyway. I do use a CWC method, only occasional sulfates to clarify. I only wash about every five days or more. So at six washes a month, I'm not seeing a lot of issues with buildup.

Luxpiggy's hair is enough to tempt anyone to use Ice Shine hehe. I am glad to see you can use both and be happy. OH, I actually forgot about cones pulling my waves down. That one is a plus for me in summer time when they get too much. I have to remember that as it's an effect i want sometimes.

ErinLeigh
May 5th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Nadine, whats funny is their leave in is cone free. I have it but haven't tried it yet. On my list lol. I wonder why they opted out of cones for the final step?

Emichiee thanks for another recommendation. I soak up any cone free reviews. They are harder to come by so very appreciated.

I love yapping about cones and no cones. Sorry so many posts.

Nadine <3
May 5th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Nadine, whats funny is their leave in is cone free. I have it but haven't tried it yet. On my list lol. I wonder why they opted out of cones for the final step?

Emichiee thanks for another recommendation. I soak up any cone free reviews. They are harder to come by so very appreciated.

I have the leave in and love it! I like that it has no cones. The small about of cones in the conditioner is just enough for my head. It smells amazing too! I love yapping about cones/no cones too. I'm a product junkie lol

vindo
May 5th, 2014, 06:38 PM

:o Welcome! I find the topic very interesting. Interesting enough that I conducted a test with another student in 2006 to see how much cone build up really sticks to the hair.

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 09:40 PM
:o Welcome! I find the topic very interesting. Interesting enough that I conducted a test with another student in 2006 to see how much cone build up really sticks to the hair.
I am really curious about the results of that test, Emichiee. :) How did it go? And was there a lot of build-up?

Nadine <3
May 5th, 2014, 10:10 PM
I am really curious about the results of that test, Emichiee. :) How did it go? And was there a lot of build-up?

I'm wondering as well!

eva888
May 6th, 2014, 02:33 AM

Yeah, that's exactly it! I am still not really sure what to do. After reading this thread I enthusiastically used my favorite conditioner (with A-cone) and while my hair felt a lot better for detangling purposes it was very "meh" once dry. I think that has convinced me not to go back to cones for now. I'm hoping that some of these conditioners mentioned could be the answer, but for now I am still searching for the HG conditioner. I have a great CO conditioner but my ends needs a lot of yummy moisture goodness to be happy, so I am still on a cone free hunt looking for that.
Let me know if you find a good one!

There are sites that now ship to other countries. I think iHerb is one of them and maybe Lucky Vitamin? I think even Willner Chemists changed their shipping.
Funny thing is, after I started using ED in 2007, I promoted it everywhere and back them I had a lot of exposure on German Forums so it quickly became very known and everyone loved it. That is when sellers started catering to European customers :lol:.

Longhairs like to do group orders because the shipping can be up to $20.

Thanks! After reading all your praise for ED I am definitely going to try it out soon. Since it's so expensive to ship I will wait until I'm back in the states in a month and if I love it as much as I think I will then I will hoard lots back in my suitcase. For now I'm going to go pick up Sante. We have that in town. Which conditioner do you use? Is there more than one?

Marika
May 6th, 2014, 02:53 AM
eva888, iHerb has very low shipping costs in my opinion. Just 4 dollars if your order is under 4 pounds and 80 dollars. If you order around 20 euros max, you avoid also customs charges. But it's really easy to pay even those online if you need to order something more expensive. Last time I got DHL shipping (8 $) and my package was in Finland in 2 days! :bigeyes: It takes a lot longer (2 weeks or so by USPS) but that's also reliable. I order even some food items from iHerb because everything is so cheap in US! :D

vindo
May 6th, 2014, 11:23 AM

We tested different products and different types of cones on 100 people with different hair types. Their hair strands were looked at under different microscopes. The cones definitely stuck around longer than claimed. Even water soluble cones left traces of the product when Shampoo was used. Shampoo with Sulfates removed the product better, but not completely immediately. With repeated use more gunk built up on formerly cone free hair. Some cones were removed within days and some stuck around for over three months, or at least silicone residue.
We also did a questionnaire regarding hair health and manageability during use. I have been wanting to blog about it in detail, but with all the cone battles especially on German forums, I hesitated. General opinion now is that cones aren't bad and that they wash out, when a few years back many were convinced that they are bad. :shrug:
Sure they do wash out to some extend, but the tests have shown that they aren't quite as easily removed as claimed either.

Thanks! After reading all your praise for ED I am definitely going to try it out soon. Since it's so expensive to ship I will wait until I'm back in the states in a month and if I love it as much as I think I will then I will hoard lots back in my suitcase. For now I'm going to go pick up Sante. We have that in town. Which conditioner do you use? Is there more than one?

I use the Sante Family Line. The Shampoos and the SANTE "Glanzspuelung, mit Bio Birkenextrakt" (Birch extract), the tube is beige with dark red.

eva888, iHerb has very low shipping costs in my opinion. Just 4 dollars if your order is under 4 pounds and 80 dollars. If you order around 20 euros max, you avoid also customs charges. But it's really easy to pay even those online if you need to order something more expensive. Last time I got DHL shipping (8 $) and my package was in Finland in 2 days! :bigeyes: It takes a lot longer (2 weeks or so by USPS) but that's also reliable. I order even some food items from iHerb because everything is so cheap in US! :D

Good to know! And you're right, I have ordered supplements there and the shipping wasn't all that much. I forgot about that.

meteor
May 6th, 2014, 11:37 AM
We tested different products and different types of cones on 100 people with different hair types. Their hair strands were looked at under different microscopes. The cones definitely stuck around longer than claimed. Even water soluble cones left traces of the product when Shampoo was used. Shampoo with Sulfates removed the product better, but not completely immediately. With repeated use more gunk built up on formerly cone free hair. Some cones were removed within days and some stuck around for over three months, or at least silicone residue.
We also did a questionnaire regarding hair health and manageability during use. I have been wanting to blog about it in detail, but with all the cone battles especially on German forums, I hesitated. General opinion now is that cones aren't bad and that they wash out, when a few years back many were convinced that they are bad. :shrug:
Sure they do wash out to some extend, but the tests have shown that they aren't quite as easily removed as claimed either.

Emichiee, this is huge! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! :) This is important information, and many people would benefit from it if you could spread the word or write about it!
I'm just curious: was the build-up / coating you saw on the hair strands different (more SLS-resistant) than what we get from oils, waxes and other conditioning agents? Because those too can take a few washes.
: runs off to read more about silicones :

ErinLeigh
May 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Eva I have my cowash stuff like you and then for the second conditioning I use a few.

I have about 10 conditioners I use right now in rotation based on what I feel like, but I find the Terax Crema is very moisturizing (not for vegans though, has tallow)
Also love the Biolage Conditioning Balm or the Sally's Generic GVP version. Those are my go to's probably when hair feels drier. I use the Biolage for SMTs as it mixes well.
The Earthly Delights will be ordered this week so I am excited to add that one in to test.

In the conventional product thread (think thats what its called) there are some lists with pretty good cone free conditioners also. I probably got some ideas there and I put my current list up too.I love that part of the board. Love talking hair products.

So, I used the the coney conditioner last night to try and had same emotion. Hair detangled like a dream but when it dried it was meh. I feel my hair has more volume and shine with the cone free routine. Go figure.

ErinLeigh
May 6th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you emichiee for sharing. I would love to do experiments like this. Did you notice hair getting drier as time went on?

meteor, I too am wondering like crazy how oils, butters, quats and waxes looked over time and and trying to see if I can find anything.

HintOfMint
May 6th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I've successfully gone back to cones, but this was only after I figured out how to manage the drying effects of shampoo. Coney conditioners and leave-ins just worked better for me when I shampooed down the length every time I washed, but obviously, after years of LHC, I was skittish about this. So I upped the pre-wash oilings, and regularly added honey to my conditioner, and that worked pretty well for me.

vindo
May 6th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Emichiee, this is huge! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! :) This is important information, and many people would benefit from it if you could spread the word or write about it!
I'm just curious: was the build-up / coating you saw on the hair strands different (more SLS-resistant) than what we get from oils, waxes and other conditioning agents? Because those too can take a few washes.
: runs off to read more about silicones :

Glad you liked it! I will post about it once a I have posted a few other articles that are waiting in line :)

And yes, there was a difference. The cones stuck around for longer and left more residue and often it required harsh products to remove them, whereas oils and waxes wash out well with warm water and mild soap.
Waxes, oils and other slip creating agents are very different though. Some really can result in nasty build up, while others act much like the hairs natural sebum.

Thank you emichiee for sharing. I would love to do experiments like this. Did you notice hair getting drier as time went on?

meteor, I too am wondering like crazy how oils, butters, quats and waxes looked over time and and trying to see if I can find anything.

Some women actually did complain about a dry feeling. Most often the hair felt great in the beginning and later ends often felt dry and crunchy. Others noticed their hair getting very flat and stringy. Some also were very happy with how the silicones felt in their hair, and others that had to stop using them for the testing phase missed them :p It was pretty interesting.

animetor7
May 6th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I am normally cone-free, but the last couple of weeks before a trim, I need cones to keep my ends from tangling, so I use them then and just clarify afterwards. So I mostly say I'm cone-free, but I suppose it would be more accurate to say an extremely infrequent cone user.

Othala
May 7th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Yup, I went back to cones because of one product that I really, really missed: Philip Kingsley Elasticizer. It is the only think I have found that keeps my coarse, straw-like hair moisturised and flexible for days longer than cone-free conditioners, allowing me to stretch my washes.

MadeiraD
May 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I love cones... I seriously just love em.

Also I theorize that cowashing with the right coney conditioner should help dissolve cone build up (because cones can bind to other cones depending on which ones, so)

ErinLeigh
May 7th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I've successfully gone back to cones, but this was only after I figured out how to manage the drying effects of shampoo. Coney conditioners and leave-ins just worked better for me when I shampooed down the length every time I washed, but obviously, after years of LHC, I was skittish about this. So I upped the pre-wash oilings, and regularly added honey to my conditioner, and that worked pretty well for me.

I love honey in my conditioner also! The pre wash oilings and some honey conditioner makes my hair smooth. I am so glad I live in right climate for honey to work, because it really helps me.

animetor7 I think that is what is going to be my routine also, adding them just before the trim. I only feel the coney urge when the ends of my layers get rough.

MadeiraD I never though of it that way. I got so coneaphobic when I quit I couldn't see anything clearly. I am glad I started to come out of that as cones really do have their place.

MadeiraD
May 7th, 2014, 11:28 AM
You'd just need to figure out what bonds to what... I know that storing silicone objects together (with the objects touching) can cause them to melt together depending on the compound each is composed of.

HairFanson
November 7th, 2018, 11:05 AM
After 4 years of 100% Cone-Free, I am throwing in the towel. I have been stuck at just above waist for 2 years because the ends have ZERO slip, look awful, and are breaking and/or microtrimmed away.

After years and years of butters, oils, stretching washes, etc I gave up last night and cone-d the crap outta my ends. THEY FEEL AMAZING. I like the ROO method, but it was not helping the fluffy icky ends, and I'm SICK AND TIRED of being "almost at waist". I want waist, (and then hip) and I want it before I wrinkle up and die. I'm just mad at myself for waiting this long to proudly say "Cones are for me!".

Curlyeve
November 7th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Well I have gone from Curly girl method to cones a few months ago. And it was the best decision i have ever made for helping my hair. Ok maybe the second best thing after quitting chemical dyes. Without cones my hair just tangles like crazy. And cone free conditioners don't give me enough slip. The result was a lot of split ends and white dots. It was hard to go back, because you hear all the time, that Curly girl is amazing for textured hair. And I really wanted it to work, but I guess you have to listen to what your hair is telling you. And mine was screaming I love cones! 🤦*♀️

lapushka
November 7th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Well I have gone from Curly girl method to cones a few months ago. And it was the best decision i have ever made for helping my hair. Ok maybe the second best thing after quitting chemical dyes. Without cones my hair just tangles like crazy. And cone free conditioners don't give me enough slip. The result was a lot of split ends and white dots. It was hard to go back, because you hear all the time, that Curly girl is amazing for textured hair. And I really wanted it to work, but I guess you have to listen to what your hair is telling you. And mine was screaming I love cones! ��*♀️

Very true! I always say it's about what our hair wants and not about what *we* want for our hair.

Going off your own hair and its needs is the best you can do.

chiapommama
November 7th, 2018, 10:22 PM
I am! Used Aussie tonight , and my hair is nice and happy.

ArabellaRose
November 8th, 2018, 04:14 AM
When I tried CO washing it was with a cone-free CO specific conditioner and my hair HATED it. I only lasted two washes before I binned it and went back to washing with shampoo and using a coney conditioner (and started doing the WCC method)

Milkchocolate
November 8th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I was off of cones for about a month after being lead to beleive that they were the devil..lol. I thought my hair was falling apart from how dry, matted and stiff it got. After realizing that they are not indeed the devil and everyone’s hair loves different things, I went back to them and never plan on leaving them. Althoughhh...I do love cone free shampoos. So essentially, most non moisturizing shampoos. My conditioners however need and love cones for shine and smoothness ❤️

shelleynyc
November 8th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I recently went back to cones and I feel like my hair feels so much better with them. I have 1c/f/ii hair. Since 2011 (when I first started getting into hair care) I have several times tried CO-washing, natural alternative hair washing methods (like baking soda/ACV and washing with rye flour) and recently I was just using SLS free and cone free shampoo and conditioner, but I always get drawn back to cones because I love the silky smooth feeling. And I've seen girls grow out healthy beautiful hair beyond WL using just regular drugstore shampoos and conditioners with SLS and cones in them, so maybe they get more hate then they deserve. Everyone's hair is different and likes different things :)

Another reason I often end up going back to cones is because I travel a lot (both for work and private to visit my family) and I rarely check any bags so I can't bring my hair care products with me and just use what I can find at my travel destinations - and products with cones are just more accessible.

Sparkles122
September 28th, 2019, 06:46 AM
I switch back and forth every few washes with cones and no cones. Bleach damage really is easier to deal with using cones. As im reading about people’s experiences with cones I see alot of people say it pulls their wave out. Why does this do the opposite for me? Ive been experimenting with them for almost a year. I do prefer the way my hair feels without them but I do notice my hair is wavier with them. Not using them isnt really optional for me

Katsura
September 28th, 2019, 08:12 AM
I tried but didn't find a conditioner with cones that I liked so I'm currently cone-less. Almost sles-less too. It makes my virgin hair a bit wavy.

MoonRabbit
September 28th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Tried it for a week. worked great the first day but now my ends are currently crusted together and my whole head feels caked up in a sticky mess. Can't wait to clarify it all out today.

MamaLou
September 28th, 2019, 11:32 AM
I'm usually cone free, but when I visit my parents (like now) I just use whatever shampoo and conditioner that they have. To be honest I don't notice a big difference.

kitcatsmeow
September 28th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Me! although I haven’t been 100% come free and I am still Sulfate free, I recently started using olaplex products routinely. I use number 3 regularly but bought no 4-7. The shampoo and conditioner are just ok but i love the leave in and the oil (which first ingredient is cone but I believe the only cone) is AmAzInG! New hg.

Nox_Inber
September 28th, 2019, 05:41 PM
I've gone back to cones and my hair feels so much better. It's actually flexible and shiny again. I hate the idea of cones but I love the result. I'd rather have happy hair :D

S&S
September 29th, 2019, 02:57 PM
Hmm I've been thinking about this for a bit - I've been silicone free for over a year. I don't use sulfates, so I'm thinking of looking for water soluble silicones to try first...?

Groovy Granny
September 29th, 2019, 03:08 PM
I tried co-washing and going cone free back when I gave the CG method a try; quickly realizing I couldn't do any of it, and especially ran back to my cones LOL

MusicalSpoons
September 30th, 2019, 08:59 AM
Hmm I've been thinking about this for a bit - I've been silicone free for over a year. I don't use sulfates, so I'm thinking of looking for water soluble silicones to try first...?

I use water-soluble cones in one of my conditioners; I'm sulphate-free and use a very mild shampoo and it works for me. (It also means I still don't need to *wash* my back and neck after rinsing out the conditioner, just give them a good rinse under the shower head :D)

[I did try a couple of conditioners with amodimethicone a couple of years ago, but I didn't like how my hair felt afterwards. Of course, it could have been those particular conditioners and not necessarily the amodimethicone, but my hair is perfectly happy with just the one water-soluble cone and no others.]

S&S
September 30th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I use water-soluble cones in one of my conditioners; I'm sulphate-free and use a very mild shampoo and it works for me.

Cool! Any in particular that you would like to recommend? :)

MusicalSpoons
September 30th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Cool! Any in particular that you would like to recommend? :)

It's a conditioner from £1-shops over here, and happens to have PEG-10(? I think?)-dimethicone in it. I've often read that the higher the PEG number the more water-soluble it is, yet 10 is not very high in PEG terms and this still rinses off really easily! :shrug: it's kind of in the middle of the ingredients list so that may have something to do with it as well, though unmodified dimethicone kind of has a reputation as the buildup king - so purely based on my experience I would think you probably can't go too far wrong with any water-soluble cone :grin:

S&S
September 30th, 2019, 04:13 PM
It's a conditioner from £1-shops over here, and happens to have PEG-10(? I think?)-dimethicone in it. I've often read that the higher the PEG number the more water-soluble it is, yet 10 is not very high in PEG terms and this still rinses off really easily! :shrug: it's kind of in the middle of the ingredients list so that may have something to do with it as well, though unmodified dimethicone kind of has a reputation as the buildup king - so purely based on my experience I would think you probably can't go too far wrong with any water-soluble cone :grin:

Oh, I didn't know that about the PEG number! Thanks for that! I'll start searching :)

Arciela
October 4th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Tried it for a week. worked great the first day but now my ends are currently crusted together and my whole head feels caked up in a sticky mess. Can't wait to clarify it all out today.

This is what happens to me when I use cones..everytime! My hair looks super greasy, feels sticky and weird. Guess I'm not meant to use cones :(

Estrid
October 4th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I haven't been strict about avoiding cones, ever, but it's been a few years since I had anything with cones in my routine. In the beginning my hair didn't seem to care if I used cones or not, but I got a bit more aware after trying methods for more wavy hair, so I suppose that's how I strayed from coney products.

Lately my hair has been very knotty and generally not easy to deal with, so I bought a new shampoo and conditioner (with cones) that I've now used twice. Boy, I got to say, it's nice to feel some slip in my hair, even if it's only while it's soaking wet. I don't know if it's changed my hair that much otherwise, but it sure ain't worse, so I'll continue with this and see how it goes.

desisparkles
October 13th, 2019, 03:27 PM
I've been curious about this myself. I really like my hair without cones but I'm practicing braiding so much, I feel like I'm def causing some damage and wonder if cones would help. I have soooo much cone free stuff I would have to use up first though so I have at least another year or so before I'd take the plunge.