PDA

View Full Version : Can I avoid shampooing?

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I am a water only hair washer and I have been for 2 years making exceptions when I get something that water will simply not suffice. This instance is dust (I'm a painter and decorator). Should I cave and use shampoo or does anyone think WO is still the way. Based on past experience when I try to rinse out dust it simply turns sticky and gets heavier. I think shampoo is the only solution here.

JodiAaby
February 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I'm not familiar with WO, would an ACV rinse or a baking soda paste be breaking the rules?

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm not familiar with WO, would an ACV rinse or a baking soda paste be breaking the rules?

Nope it wouldn't. I've mixed up a bottle of bakin soda and water but I can never get a good wash from it. It's way too runny for my liking.

katiebeans
February 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM
If you are interested in giving BS another shot you could try mixing your solution up in a spray bottle. Then you can spray a nice amount directly on to your scalp. You could also try an egg wash, this is what I resort to when I feel like WO has given me too much build up.

GoddesJourney
February 12th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Does CO not work for you? Maybe ACV rinse or beer rinse afterward. I've been beer rinsing lately and my hair loves it.

lapushka
February 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM
This instance is dust (I'm a painter and decorator). Should I cave and use shampoo or does anyone think WO is still the way.

I would just shampoo. Dust and WO do not mix.

Anje
February 12th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Personally, I think I'd try CO washing (conditioner only -- glop on a bunch of conditioner, massage it in a bit, let it sit while you do the rest of your showering, then rinse really well) before shampooing. Even that will make your hair feel really different for a week or two, after years of WO, but I think it'll disrupt you less than shampoo would. (Experience: I did WO for about 8 months, but the length of my hair needed more conditioning.)

Are you covering your hair when you work in dusty conditions? I'm told "ponyscrubs" work quite well for such things, and they're not completely hideous. ETA: Haven't tried them myself, but I see they make disposable ponyscrubs now (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/Disposable-Pony-Hats.html). Good for paint, maybe?

Firefox7275
February 12th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Agree try conditioner only, much gentler than baking soda. Otherwise soap nuts or soapwort extract.

DaddyLion
February 13th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I went with shampoo in the end, my hairs super clean. I doubt stripping the oils once on the odd occasion will do an real harm. This is compared to people that do it every day. My hair is still on WO routine so all is well. To be honest it's probably better to be sure the dust is out as it would likely dry the hair out anyways.

tlover
February 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Hi

I live on a homestead wich means taking care of animals (rabbits, a cat and chickens, chickens are really dusty or what you can call it), gardening, and since we have bees a lot of carpentry (also dusty). I haven't WO for a long time (1 week he he) but for the past 4 years or so I only use schampoo about once a week, but I wear a scarf around my hair outside.

My scarf hairstyles are probably not so manly but there's probably many ways you can wear a scarf around your hair and look manly (in shows like dual survivor and man women wild the men often have scarfs on there head, well Bear Grylls does it too but I wouldn't call him manly just crazy). My husband wears it during the summer too but he has short hair so I don't Think that will help.

And the choice of scarf could help too, me and my husband normally wear a OD green cotton one and thats not so femenin