PDA

View Full Version : Clothes that go with long hair for guys...

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 03:01 AM
I have searched and searched the internet for a page that describes what clothes look good on guys with long locks but I can't seem to find any, so I'll make a thread on here.

I find that If I wear clothes that I used to wear when I had short hair they kinda make me look like I have given up on personal grooming, so I figure to make it work I must go for something a little different as my hair is also "different". I have never really until now been too fussed about fashion so my sense is still in early stages. I have been trying combat boots and I believe that's a start and I've also been thinking of getting leather jackets but they aren't the cheapest option. Denim jackets are a maybe too for long hair but it might look a bit too retro though.

I guess hair being worn up or down is a matter too, as in I don't think hoods would work if you have hair past shoulder length worn down.
I personally like the vest only look cause I think long hair looks better when you have more flesh showing,It just looks more natural when I've got my shirt off. Unfortunately though it's the middle of winter here and I ain't exactly Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So ladies and gent's any advice on the matter for a guy that's still relatively new too long hair??

flemeister
February 12th, 2014, 03:21 AM
I'm don't follow fashion trends either, but I can't really think of any clothing that doesn't suit long hair on guys or gals. T-shirt or tank top for a casual look, suit and tie or similar to *look* smarter (moreso with hair tied back/up, but certainly not necessary). Hoodies can look just fine with past shoulder length hair, just depends how you wear it.

Check out these videos below for ideas and examples. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqdP8WJJqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-FxFKQlMOo

joflakes
February 12th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Have you tried any up dos with your hair yet? You might find if you try some, that you perceive yourself as more groomed!

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 03:49 AM
Hmm must just be a personal preference really and that's great. I would hate to think there was set laws as to what looks good and what doesn't. One of my favorite quotes is "there is no wrong or rights to looking and feeling good"...

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Have you tried any up dos with your hair yet? You might find if you try some, that you perceive yourself as more groomed!

What kinds are you thinking of? I have thought about it but I still think my hair is still lacking in length to do much with. I also find most of them to look a bit too girly for my liking aswell. I do like Dustin Clare's hairstyles when he's in Spartacus though.

inanna
February 12th, 2014, 04:24 AM
When you're growing out a short haircut, there's an annoying in-between phase where it just looks exactly like what it is - an overgrown short haircut. I believe on the LHC it's been dubbed "the dreaded mullet", and it's the bane of all aspiring long-hairs who have started from scratch. :)

This post (http://www.mens-hairstyle.com/good-long-haircuts-for-men.html) is more about long hairstyles for men, but I think it has some pretty good examples of how nearly anything can work with long hair!

This hairstyle is not extremely protective so you might want to skip it if you want to pamper your hair at all times, but I personally am a huge sucker for the half-pulled ponytail:

http://www.mens-hairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Long-Blonde-Ponytailed-Hairstyle.jpg

Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp regularly show up to red carpet events with long hair, and IMHO are both pretty dapper gentlemen, so they might be a good source of inspiration, too. :)

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Thanks, I like that inanna, might give it a shot. I think I have seen a guy with hair like that and it looked pretty good. I do have an annoying fringe though that is not long enough yet to tie back. It has lead to me wearing caps and other hair accessories. I find hair in my face when I'm working soo annoying..

flemeister
February 12th, 2014, 05:33 AM
I do have an annoying fringe though that is not long enough yet to tie back. It has lead to me wearing caps and other hair accessories. I find hair in my face when I'm working soo annoying..
Bobby pins! Just man up and wear a couple of them in full view, holding your fringe back and to the side a bit. Best to choose some that match your hair colour. That's all I did when growing out my hair while working at a cafe, as well as a stubby ponytail. When my fringe was long enough, I gradually moved the bobby pins back until I could mostly hide them on top of and then behind my ears. Worked great, and hardly anyone said anything or gave me any weird looks. :)

Make sure to use two of them to reduce the chance of them falling out during the day. Also be sure to use new bobby pins every few days, otherwise they lose their tension and are more prone to falling out.

Mustang Suzy
February 12th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I think it would be hard for one to adjust their clothing to their hair ~ I would adjust my hairstyle to my clothing. Work clothing, work hair / casual clothing, casual hair.

If wearing a suit, an idea would be to emulate WWEs Triple H with a slicked back low ponytail (He's cut it off now, but it used to look really good). If wearing casual clothing, a bandana or simple headband could keep your hair out of your face. A guy at a local electronics chain has the most handsome, long, thick ponytail that looks very professional with his collared blue polo style shirt. Changing up how you style/wear your hair is a cheaper alternative than buying a new wardrobe.

Good luck!

truepeacenik
February 12th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I spent a few years working in the music industry.
I'd say that most of the men had a lot of leeway with appearance. I've seen men with longer hair, up to lower-midback, look very presentable (pitch meetings for music festivals, sound engineers/light design at upscale venues, performers, etc).

The main connecting cord was having tidy facial hair. They could have beards, but none were ZZ Top. Lots of small, groomed beards, and a surprising amount of bare faces. Especially for the hippie and folkie sorts.

Hats were common, although with performers it split between hats off stage and hats as onstage wear. A few men did both, but even then, the stage hat was usually different from what they walked in wearing.

The men who exuded confidence and power usually wore something that added a semi-formal note to casual clothing. A blazer over a semi fitted shirt and jeans; tuxedo trousers with a loose shirt; even suits that were not boardroom but still dapper.

I saw very few performers in T-shirts without layers. Lots of men wore belts, with Indian and Pakistani musicians being the exception, and well, the clothing they wore onstage exuded its own charisma, charm and power.

Everything worn onstage was in good repair, even when the look was not a tailored, tight look.

So, you need to decide how pulled together you want to look.
Try not to look like a character, or caricature, and have elements of masculinity, since longer hair has an androgynous aspect.

tigereye
February 12th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I tend to think that guys with long hair at those awkward lengths look good in things with collars for some reason - say a polo-shirt, shirt, or collared jacket of some sort (perhaps that's why the retro bikers-jacket always worked), rather than the regular t-shirt.

Mya
February 12th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I'm the furthest thing from a fashion expert or a fashion lover, but my personal pet peeve about guy clothing is t-shirts. I think t-shirts generally make guys look slovenly. :p

MissHoney
February 12th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I think 'how' you dress is more about your lifestyle and what you're comfortable with... but as far as a guy having long hair, this is not considered 'mainstream' so perhaps it looks off to you if you try to dress too 'normal'. Something as simple as a hat over your low bun, or a quirky scarf with your t-shirt, or combing casual/preppy/dressy in a unique way, etc. can change how you look and feel. Long hair just adds another element of quirk. I think with guys, adding a little quirk is the easiest/only way to be stylish. It's much harder to go out and buy all the trendy styles/colors/etc. like girls do.

tetisheri72
February 12th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Kilts. Guys with long hair needs kilts.

DaddyLion
February 12th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Lol Kilts. I'm thinking camouflage trousers and a black vest with combat boots.

Nae
February 12th, 2014, 02:00 PM

I gotta second that. A kilt and combat boots. Oh yeah.

I like the button up shirt with collar and a nice pair of jeans as well.

Yozhik
February 12th, 2014, 02:03 PM

I misread this as kitties. Clearly what all longhaired men need. :p
:kitten:

You can tell what's on my brain!
<<

tetisheri72
February 12th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Lol Kilts. I'm thinking camouflage trousers and a black vest with combat boots.

Utilikits come in camo. They look good with a black vest and combat boots.

I gotta second that. A kilt and combat boots. Oh yeah.

I like the button up shirt with collar and a nice pair of jeans as well.

My husband is getting a kilt sometime this year. I love a man in a kilt.

<<

Longhaired men need kitties too.

Kimberly
February 12th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Utilikilts (or any kilts) -- SO hot!

I think that well maintained clothing and quality accessories really make a difference. A guy in jeans and wrinkly old tshirt and worn-out sneakers might be magically transformed by a less-battered shirt, nice shoes, and maybe some kind of accessory that could set him apart. Or a kilt. Yeah, a kilt! :)

Yozhik
February 12th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Tetisheri72, I concur! :smooch:

OP, to answer your question, button-down shirts, blazers, chunky cardigans, long-sleeved shirts, leather jackets. Whatever, really. You just be confident and ascribe to some sort of style. :)

Personally, being in academia, I like the kind of long-haired nerdy guy look, but that's just me. :p

tetisheri72
February 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Kilts work with everything.

owly
February 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Okay, I'm not a fashion expert but here's what I've noticed about some of my male colleagues with long hair:

Nerd Chic: One of my friends with long curly hair wore slacks, button ups, loafers, and cardigans. He also would occasionally wear nice ties or bowties. It sounds weird, but he was a huge guy (former football player) so it worked for him. His rocked this look from when he was growing his hair until it was past APL. If it was a windy day, he'd pull his hair into a low ponytail. He said he was able to get a lot of his clothes at thrift stores and inexpensive department stores. It was a very good work-look, and he constantly got compliments from women. He was a very confident man though.

"Badboy" Office Employee: I love how one of my former bosses dressed. He would wear nice, well-fitting jeans or slacks, workboots/combat boots (the jeans would NOT be tucked into the boots), fitted T-Shirts, and blazers. The t-shirts and blazers worked really well. To pull of this look, everything has to fit well (ie, t-shirts need to be long enough and not too lose, jeans shouldn't drag, blazer should fit across the shoulders etc.). At the longest, his hair was almost to his waist. Shortest, it was shoulder length. He'd also occasionally wear his hair in a low pony-tail, or the half-pulled ponytal inanna posted. He was a very relaxed guy, and this look conveyed that.

I think leather jackets would work well, as would vests (over t-shirts, if you like the hipster look, or over a nice button up). I think what's most important is that your clothes fit well. I've noticed men with longer hair look slovenly if their clothes are too loose--it looks unkempt. Otherwise, I think anything goes.

If you're worried about the expense of buying some of these items, such as the leather jacket you mentioned, check thrift stores such as Savers and Goodwill. I've found some great stuff there.

(I've just revealed that I think a lot about what men wear).

JodiAaby
February 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I think you have to try for more "rugged" looks; leather jackets, fitted (not skinny) jeans, boots (like you described), wearing your hair in a low pony-tail and maintaining your facial hair in a clean fashion. I'd say keep your wardrobe monochromatic (blacks, whites, greys) and darker colors thrown in (such as brown and navy blue). If you google "Brad Pitt Long Hair" you can get a good general idea of what might look good. But I would also say, pay attention to what you like and what you feel looks good on you. If these things aren't your style, don't try to force it. Hope that helps. :)

cathair
February 12th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Could it be that it is not your clothes not going with your hair, which is making you feel scruffy, but that how you view yourself has changed?

I would have thought wearing something that reflects your personality and that you are comfortable in is more important that thinking about what goes with hair. If your not comfortable in what you used to wear, perhaps you have grown or changed in some way on the inside?

What do you enjoy doing? Are you interested in music or a musician or do you have other interests? Who are you? Why did you grow long hair in the first place?

Failing that, leather is always good... or maybe a leather kilt? ;)

alexis917
February 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM
My English teacher has curly, APL length hair with silver streaks.
He's really tall, around six three, I think.
He has to dress up for work and he likes tweed jackets, pocketwatches, colorful bowties, and being fancy in his own way.
He's definitely one of my coolest teachers.
(For all you Doctor Who fans, he claims that Matt Smith stole the bowtie gimmick from him.)

woodswanderer
February 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I really agree that the biggest and probably easiest thing is to have groomed facial hair. I advise committing to a facial hair style, letting it grow about 1/3 of an inch up to 1 1/2 inches and keeping the other parts neatly shaved...or clean shaven if you like that look. I think it will make the clothes you already own look better. Another is just to wear clothes fitted instead of baggy. You probably don't need a makeover unless you just want one.

trolleypup
February 12th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Umm...the clothes that a long haired guy wears are the clothes that go with long hair!

If you wear them with confidence, they will look good, or at least no worse than they would look with short hair.

From scruffies to tails, hair goes with clothes just fine.

0xalis
February 12th, 2014, 07:14 PM

If he's going to wear a "kilt" he better not wear a tartan that doesn't belong to him (his family). Scots take their tartans very seriously. :steam

cathair
February 12th, 2014, 07:31 PM
If he's going to wear a "kilt" he better not wear a tartan that doesn't belong to him (his family). Scots take their tartans very seriously. :steam

All the more reason to have a leather kilt? *shrugs* :D

Flammula
February 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Well, get your personal style, thats always the only thing that works. That said, band shirts, leather jackets and tight jeans always goes well on men with long hair. Any metal dudes out there? *wink wink*

Flammula
February 12th, 2014, 11:50 PM
...but most importantly - NO KILT ;)

&rea
February 13th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Personally, I think it's best to dress for your body type. I think guy's hair looks best when it looks like there wasn't a lot of effort put into the styling of it. Anyway, here are some links :)

Dressy look with hair in a loose bun:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/15551561187453448/

Casual (Personally, I think this is cute):
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/478507529129976352/

Jeans and T-Shirt with Hair Down:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/224617100138862674/

This guy doesn't have long hair, but the clothes would look nice on a long hair guy:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/563442603351108823/

Same goes for this one:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/563442603351108829/

restless
February 13th, 2014, 12:30 AM

This. This is the answer :D

(but if youre not up for kilts, Id just say: dress with whatever youre comfortable in. The look of the clothes are not important as long as the guy that wears them feels confident and shows it)

daredevil14
February 13th, 2014, 12:51 AM
As for me, I usually switch between shirts, long black sleeves over shirts and short metal (and artworks) t-shirts over long black sleeves. Jeans down there and a converse!

tetisheri72
February 13th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Utilikit. They come in all kinds of materials. Most of them aren't tartans.

tetisheri72
February 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Here's one good example. Jared Leto (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/golden-globes-2014-man-hair-670381) rocked it out on the Golden Globes, complete with a man bun and facial hair. He looked very nice.

And just because it must be done. Black utilikilt (http://www.madoc.us/kilts.php) Camo utilikilt (http://www.kpluwonders.org/sites/default/files/styles/story-level-main/public/field/image/Utilikilt--djwudi.jpg) Rocker in a kilt (http://i47.tinypic.com/34t6atf.png). OK, I'll stop threadjacking now.

DaddyLion
February 13th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I think wearing what makes you feel good is key. &rea those are some good styles. That is a confident beard the first guy has. I think I would go for the hair down guys style myself.

Sorry no kilts for me .

moxamoll
February 13th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Kilts are good!

But seriously, I don't think there is a particular "style" that especially suits long hair (on men or women!) It sounds like maybe you are rethinking how you see yourself, so experiment a little. And remember you aren't confined to one look! Going to the club? Boots, camo and a well fitting t-shirt. First date? Fitted (not skinny, not baggy) pants, button down shirt with rolled sleeves and a vest. Maybe rock a fedora.

As others have said, I think the trick is to look well groomed and well fitted - personally, I think a guy in too big, ratty clothes is a big turn off. Beyond that, it's more about wearing anything that makes you project comfort and confidence.

Anje
February 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I tend to agree with the suggestion of either doing something slightly quirky, or else consider dressing a notch dressier than the situation calls for. You know, button-down shirts when people are wearing T-shirts, a tie in tie-optional situations, blazer instead of a hoodie. That sort of thing. Well-fitting, marginally more formal clothes will easily counteract any scruffiness that your hair might suggest.

Once your hair is long enough to pull back, I think it'll be easier to look polished.

YamaMaya
February 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Just remember, you're not here to decorate anyone's world, that's the LHC motto. So wear what feels good and you think looks good. I always say you can't go wrong with a t-shirt and jeans :)

koolkittychick
February 13th, 2014, 03:04 PM

Definitely THIS! Maybe a bit daring, but a definite do for long-haired guys. :)

Flournoy
February 13th, 2014, 05:28 PM
As a guy I just wear the clothes I like, and didn't really change my style much. I don't wear baseball hats as much though, because I don't like the look with long hair.

MeAndTheMaz
February 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM
I find that If I wear clothes that I used to wear when I had short hair they kinda make me look like I have given up on personal grooming, so I figure to make it work I must go for something a little different as my hair is also "different". I have never really until now been too fussed about fashion so my sense is still in early stages. I have been trying combat boots and I believe that's a start and I've also been thinking of getting leather jackets but they aren't the cheapest option. Denim jackets are a maybe too for long hair but it might look a bit too retro though.

So ladies and gent's any advice on the matter for a guy that's still relatively new too long hair??

I wear the standard jeans/tee-shirt. Jean jacket and black, high top, Chuck Taylors. You might say that I'm not much of a fashionista either, since I've pretty much done the same thing for decades.

MeAndTheMaz
February 13th, 2014, 08:25 PM

<<

Yay. I have one of those. She doesn't make much of a fashion statement, 'cuz The Maz never leaves the house.

DaddyLion
February 14th, 2014, 04:20 AM
As a guy I just wear the clothes I like, and didn't really change my style much. I don't wear baseball hats as much though, because I don't like the look with long hair.

I agree. The joke is with me is that I look like someone from Wayne's World

emilia1992
February 14th, 2014, 04:25 AM
http://www.eventim.de/david-garrett-bilder.html?affiliate=EVE&doc=artistPages/pictures&fun=artist&action=images&kuid=71369&picId=1537

Guys with long hair can pretty much get away with anything, imo.

DaddyLion
February 14th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Bobby pins! Just man up and wear a couple of them in full view, holding your fringe back and to the side a bit. Best to choose some that match your hair colour. That's all I did when growing out my hair while working at a cafe, as well as a stubby ponytail. When my fringe was long enough, I gradually moved the bobby pins back until I could mostly hide them on top of and then behind my ears. Worked great, and hardly anyone said anything or gave me any weird looks. :)

Make sure to use two of them to reduce the chance of them falling out during the day. Also be sure to use new bobby pins every few days, otherwise they lose their tension and are more prone to falling out.

I took your advice and got some pins. They really do the job and just seem like common sense really and not "girly". After all there just pieces of metal there for practical reasons. It's not like there pink and covered in glitter anyway. I just tucked em behind my ears to get my bangs out my face like you said and no-ones noticed at all. Subtle yet effective. Makes me wonder what else I could get away with using them..

Kimberly
February 14th, 2014, 02:11 PM
I was watching Gangs of New York the other night and noticed DiCaprio had an updo toward the end with his hair slicked back into a tight bun held with a leather slide. He certainly looked plenty masculine in it. :)

truepeacenik
February 14th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Umm...the clothes that a long haired guy wears are the clothes that go with long hair!

If you wear them with confidence, they will look good, or at least no worse than they would look with short hair.

From scruffies to tails, hair goes with clothes just fine.

This post wins the Internet for the day.
Trolley is a dashing man. Listen to him.

I was thinking about a buddy of mine who did half ups to keep his hair away for his violin. (In a rock band, no less)

The same idea would work if your bags and such are just long enough to pull back, but not the sides. So depending on what you are growing out, cut wise, you might be able to pull back more than you think, in layers.

Alun
February 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
I have both kilts and kitties, LOL!

I work in a law firm, though. Even on casual Fridays I can neither wear a kilt nor bring a kittie to work! I can't even wear a T-shirt on casual Fridays, so I have sports shirts (Americans seem to call them polo shirts, but to me that would mean something with a roll-neck collar) that I only wear on Fridays and otherwise probably wouldn't even own. They will let me wear jeans on Fridays (which I do) and also athletic shoes (which I don't even own). The rest of the week it's smart trousers, ditto for the shirt, and a sports jacket. Ties seem to be an endangered species and they only require them for client meetings, but half the time only the partners remember to wear one even on those occasions.

When not actually at work I usually wear a T-shirt and jeans, or indeed a kilt. DW isn't keen on me leaving the house in a kilt unless I am going somewhere that there will be other weirdoes in kilts, although when you see some of the reactions here you have to wonder if she might be more worried about hordes of adoring women, LOL! And, FWIW, I would never wear the tartan of someone else's clan, but don't even own my own clan tartan, because Irish ones are ultra expensive and it's somewhat questionable whether they are really an authentic concept (I am originally from London, am Irish on my mother's side, and live in the US).

Of course, if I attend a formal event outside work I have a suit, and also even a dinner suit (tuxedo if you are American). I haven't worn the latter in so long that I hope it still fits.

I agree that hoods are a PITA with long hair. Mine is about waist length (although doesn't really seem to be getting any longer) and I got a new winter coat with a hood. Pretty much the only way to wear it without looking crazy seems to be with my hair on the inside. Next time probably either no hood or at least a hood that can be zipped in and only deployed when needed.

Very few people wear the same clothes on stage, since someone brought that up. I used to be lead singer in a band, and wore brightly coloured trousers with patterns on them when on stage, something that I seldom would wear on the street. If long-haired musicians are your only reference point for long-haired men, please keep in mind that even they don't necessarily go around in what they wear on stage.

Sharysa
February 14th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I can't help with actual fashion, but I DO know that low-maintenance long hair is an art form of its own. Also, just keep pushing through the awkward stage! My awkward stage lasted from shoulder to mid-back thanks to my hair's ridiculous thickness and wave, but look at my hair now--somewhere between hip and waist.

So here's two basic rules for clothes that suit long hair:

-Contrast. Clothes in contrasting colors will obviously highlight your hair's length, as well as the color. I have soft-black hair (looks almost matte most of the time, except in bright or natural light), so I can't wear mid-tones or earth-tones with my hair down because they're going to look muddy. I enjoy wearing dark colors, pastels, or white. Your hair looks like a medium brown, so theoretically anything could be fine. However, brown tends to look better with reds, greens, or blues.

-Fit. Doesn't matter what kind of fashion you wear, it just needs to fit well. Clothes that are supposed to be loose or drape-y look considerably different from clothes that just don't fit. Western guys don't seem to have loose/draped clothes, aside from the eight-sizes-too-large trend among urban Americans, which makes it even MORE important that you have clothes that fit well. Well-fitted t-shirts look as awesome as a suit.

EdG
February 14th, 2014, 08:49 PM
The standard office attire around here is a dress shirt and jeans. This is somewhat of a mix, perhaps made even more mixed by long hair. ;)
Ed

Yozhik
February 19th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Yay for all the long-haired men with kitties! Kitties are always a fashion accessory, IMO. :agree:

As a matter of fact, there's a website dedicated to men with cats (http://cuteboyswithcats.net/). :D

MeAndTheMaz
February 19th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Gosh, I have a cat, but I hardly think I fall into the "cute boy" category. I wonder if they have a Grumpy Old Men With Cats web site. :o

Yozhik
February 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM
:laugh:

Well, there is an "absolutely worst pictures of men with cats (http://keep0smiling.blogspot.com/2013/06/absolute-worst-pictures-of-men-and-cats.html)" site. :p