PDA

View Full Version : What is the best treatment for a dry, itchy, flakey scalp?

Leslieslsa
February 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I just saw the doctor today and he said it's just dry scalp but I thought I'd wait until I got home and ask you guys. Can I use coconut oil?

sarahbrownie
February 11th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Ugh, I feel your pain. I'd scratch up giant flakes of skin, very painful, and then turn into scabs. I'd itch it in my sleep and not know I'd be picking scabs. I'd never had this problem until this winter. My skin hasn't been this dry for a while.

I switched to Jason's Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner (link (http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/hair/therapy-hair-care/normalizing-tea-tree)) and it cleared up the problem in a few washes. I wash with it maybe once a month now and switched back to my normal shampoo bar. You can pick it up nearly everywhere in the organic/natural aisle. I suppose getting tea tree oil can be a good solution if you don't poo.

duchess67
February 11th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I don't have flakes or dandruff, but my scalp itches sometimes. I use Nizoral shampoo once a week, no more itchy scalp.

Kimberly
February 11th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Maybe you could try using a humidifier? I grew up in Chicagoland, and I know how dry it can get in winter!

midbackorbust
February 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Mine got a lot less itchy when I started to mix a bit of TTO into my shampoo, you could try that!

Aderyn
February 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM
For itchiness, a little bit of tea tree oil (diluted, of course) may help. Moreso for fungal issues.

For a dry scalp, switching to a moisturizing shampoo bar (from a gentle sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner and prior to that CO-washing) has helped me immensely. I switched back in May and haven't had a single issue since, including through the current winter. My skin is very sensitive and extremely dry.

I've never tried or heard of using coconut oil in such a way, so I can't say much in regards to that.