PDA

View Full Version : Favorite oil for those with Fine & Thin hair

jrmviola
February 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM
What is your Favorite Oil for those who have both fine and thin hair? (Or for those who for have had a hard time finding a good oil) And what characteristics Make it your favorite?

I ask this because I havent really found one I like that I can use everyday. Every Oil I have tried makes it feel like dry cloth, even when my hair is wet. I do like Castor Oil as a pretreat but i can only use that once a week and its been drying my scalp out lately. It doesnt seem to leave my hair greasy even though i'm also using coconut oil and egg in the mixture. (Coconut doesnt work either but im using it up first.)

So, I was going to place this in the "Thin/Fine Hair" thread but didnt want to hijack it. Thanks!

Rio040113
February 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
For me it's Avocado Oil, I find it really light and as it's a penetrating oil it seems to really help keep my hair in good condition. I always find it great for preventing tangles, reducing flyaways and adding shine, without weighing my hair down :)

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I have fine hair too and I add water to mine I'm using a blend of oils I make mostly almond oil. I put it in an 8 ounce spray bottle and mist my hair so I get oil and water moisture. I found that this makes the oil lighter so I don't get greasy scalp and hair.

Verdandi
February 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I've tried coconut, EVOO, castor and Argan, and for everyday use I prefer the argan oil. It's light enough not to weigh my hair down, or make it look stringy, but it doesn't feel dry or have a distinct smell like EVOO or coconut, which I like. I use it for light everyday oiling/smoothing down my flyaways. I never apply any oil to my scalp though, or I get an ouchy, flaky and sad scalp.

For heavier oilings I use coconut or EVOO over night, doesn't really matter which, I just want the penetrating effect since I wash it out the day after anyway and don't have to deal with smell or stringyness.

Aderyn
February 11th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I'm quite picky when it comes to oil and the ones I've enjoyed have been jojoba oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil and coconut oil. Currently, I'm working through my container of coconut oil and it's fine since I use a tiny amount only on the ends, though I much prefer jojoba oil. Jojoba is fully absorbed and light, great for spreading lightly down the bottom of my length and letting it soak in completely overnight if I fancy it. Also, Nightblooming's winter blend Panacea is great for softening up my ends. I don't really oil my hair though, just a little bit on the ends overnight and I'm good to go.

LAG93
February 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I actually got the new oil Aveda came out with as a sample. Dry remedy moisturizing oil? or something of that sorts. It is really nice, I believe it is just a blend of oils and essential oils, but I did not get an ingredients list, although I do remember reading it has no cones. alittle goes a long way and it is lightweight but still seems to protect my hair. But honestly it doesn't do much for "moisturizing" at least not what I think of as moisture. I use moisture treatments homemade, along with this oil and I really like the outcomes. the sample is like... idk maybe 1/8 of an ounce, not even maybe, and I haven't used half of it yet, its been a month, using it almost everyday. literally six drops for my whole head!

AspenSong
February 11th, 2014, 05:10 PM
So far, I always go back to Jojoba for my oiling after a shower/wash or day to day use and Coconut for heavy oilings.
Jojoba seems to soak in and not leave my hair looking oily persay. I would love to try some 100% Argan oil one day - I tried a sample from Whole Foods of their 100% and immediately put it on my ends and it seemed really nice.
Coconut is just good on my hair, I love the smell and it makes it nice and soft after heavy oilings. I do like to mix it up occasionally and do EVOO or Grapeseed, but always end up back with Coconut.

lapushka
February 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Favorite oil is mineral oil, just 1 or 2 drops on damp hair (after washing) for the lengths from ear to the very tips is enough. This replaces my favorite serums (from IC Fantasia) just fine, even though I mostly stick to my serums. The serums are quite lightweight as well!

midbackorbust
February 11th, 2014, 06:50 PM
My fine hair loves olive oil, I've tried coconut as well but it made me get all crunchy and gross :(

panffle
February 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I like Tsubaki oil (also called Camellia oil). I use just 3 drops on my length, then brush with a BBB to distribute and braid it. I apply it before I sleep, and the next morning my hair is super soft and not heavy or stringy at all. :D

MandyBeth
February 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Argan mixed with hemp has worked the best for me. Argan is a bit too light on it's own, hemp is heavier. 75% argan, 25% hemp is working for me.

Coconut leaves me crunchy. Jojoba and almond wind up too heavy. Violently allergic to avocados. Camelia oil is nice, but I don't like the scent.

For my usual fuzzies - mineral oil. One drop fixes the fuzzies and doesn't seem to build up, strip color or increase sun reactions (which is why argan oil is never near my scalp)

Brielle
February 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I have only tried a few oils (olive, coconut, jojoba and avocado). Out of those though, I would say olive was my favourite, even though it is quite heavy. My hair seems to love it and it makes a fantastic pre-wash oil for me. I loved the smell of the coconut oil but I just couldn't use it in colder months. When I warmed it up and applied it, it would just solidify in my hair. Jojoba was good but I don't think it worked quite as well for me as the olive oil. The avocado oil was okay but I could not stand the smell!

ositarosita
February 11th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Macadamia oil and proclaim natural 7 oil ... I'm a fine strander .. it's light so it doesn't weigh my hair down and my hair absolutely loves it

Henna Girl
February 12th, 2014, 01:23 AM
I like olive oil, coconut oil and sesame seed oil. But my favourite of all is olive oil. I soak my hair with one or a combination of these oils three times a week before swimming for excellent protection from chlorine.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 12th, 2014, 01:42 AM
For a heavy oiling I like coconut, but for everyday frizzies you can't beat a couple of drops of mineral oil.

Firefox7275
February 12th, 2014, 11:14 AM
What is your Favorite Oil for those who have both fine and thin hair? (Or for those who for have had a hard time finding a good oil) And what characteristics Make it your favorite?

I ask this because I havent really found one I like that I can use everyday. Every Oil I have tried makes it feel like dry cloth, even when my hair is wet. I do like Castor Oil as a pretreat but i can only use that once a week and its been drying my scalp out lately. It doesnt seem to leave my hair greasy even though i'm also using coconut oil and egg in the mixture. (Coconut doesnt work either but im using it up first.)

So, I was going to place this in the "Thin/Fine Hair" thread but didnt want to hijack it. Thanks!

Oiling daily isn't for everyone regardless of fineness or coarseness, porosity and other factors are also relevant. Oils are 100% active ingredient compared to conditioner which is perhaps 90% water. You might try using oils as a minor ingredient in a leave in conditioner or detangler.

Diamond.Eyes
February 12th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I like virgin maracuja oil and virgin coconut oil :flower:.

pixldust
February 12th, 2014, 12:54 PM
A couple of drops of olive oil on the ends seems to work a treat. I tried coconut, which made it crunchy and argan, which my hair seemed to soak right up and then it would look greasy and lank.

jrmviola
February 12th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Well last night I added a little extra Mineral Oil to my conditioner, since that was the main oil in it anyways, and now that its finally fully dry i think i will continue trying that. So thanks to everyone who gave advice! Maybe when the oil is gone i will change to a new one... :D

Nadine <3
February 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I love my olive oil, though I don't use it after a shower. It tends to make my hair feel dirty faster so I stick with dong overnight treatments on hair that already needs to be washed. A couple drops on the length till it's nice and greasy, then I braid it and wash it out in the morning.

swearnsue
February 12th, 2014, 07:27 PM
The dry cloth feeling you are getting might be from the egg you add to the conditioner. Too much protein?

alexis917
February 12th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Sorry for sneaking in here, haha. I have thick/coarse hair.
However, I've been adding sweet almond oil to my castor as a pre-wash deep oiling treatment.
The almond oil is really light and runny. I'm used to castor and olive oil, and this is so much more liquidy!
Maybe this would work on your hair texture!

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2014, 07:51 PM
My hair likes avacado. :)

inanna
February 13th, 2014, 01:42 AM
I'm all for sweet almond oil. I think the key might be to use just a few drops, no matter what oil it is. It seems like you're just pawing at your hair for no reason, but I definitely start seeing a difference if I use four drops instead of two. If it's close to wash day and my hair is greasy anyway, I'll go wild with the oil and add enough to saturate my hair, then put it up in a braided bun until I wash it.

I'm currently testing a routine where I smooth my hair with damp hands after detangling, add a few drops of sweet almond oil, pile my hair into a loose top knot and let it steam while I shower in the mornings. It seems like that helps my low-porosity hair drink in the oil a bit better. :)

DarleneH
February 13th, 2014, 06:26 AM
I actually got the new oil Aveda came out with as a sample. Dry remedy moisturizing oil? or something of that sorts. It is really nice, I believe it is just a blend of oils and essential oils, but I did not get an ingredients list, although I do remember reading it has no cones. alittle goes a long way and it is lightweight but still seems to protect my hair. But honestly it doesn't do much for "moisturizing" at least not what I think of as moisture. I use moisture treatments homemade, along with this oil and I really like the outcomes. the sample is like... idk maybe 1/8 of an ounce, not even maybe, and I haven't used half of it yet, its been a month, using it almost everyday. literally six drops for my whole head!

I found this for ingredients:
Helianthus Annus (sunflower) seed oil, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Methyl Soyate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentaoleate, Olea Europaea (olive) Fruit Oil, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Sterols, Tocopherol, Fragrance (Parfum), Farnesol, Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Citral, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Geranoil.

Your post caught my eye because I usually LOVE the scent of Aveda products.

LAG93
February 18th, 2014, 01:36 PM
It does smell really nice! I haven't heard of some of those ingredients...I wonder if they are alright, Aveda makes it seem like they are all natural but you never know I suppose

Sillage
February 18th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Not technically an oil, but I love shea butter. Otherwise, avocado or watermelon seed.

LMB
February 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I have just started using Argan oil, 4-5 drops at night worked through from ears down, put in a loose cinnabun for half an hour while I do my skincare stuff before bed to let it warm up and sink in, remove pin from bun and put on my sleep cap and my ends are nice and soft in the morning.
I have started adding 1-2 drops to my ends when my hair is mostly dry in the morning, before I put it up for my walk to work. I sometimes take my hair down if i'm in the office alone and although I know it's bad I love playing with the ends and feeling how soft they are!
I do want to also try the sweet almond oil, but i know that my bottle of argan oil will last a LONG time so will maybe think about it in a couple of months.

DweamGoiL
February 18th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Monoi Oil for me hands down. I use it to seal my ends when I wash and mix with gel when I want to rock my waves.

Lilelfen1
February 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Avocado and, just recently, hemp seed oil. My hair is not a fan of evco. Seems to make it crunchy. I am testing the ceramide effects the hemp, using it as a serum on damp hair. :-)

joiekimochi
February 23rd, 2014, 02:47 AM
My hair loves camellia oil.

ravenheather
February 23rd, 2014, 07:20 AM
I like neelibringhadi oil on scalp for prewash with coconut on length. After wash it's camellia and a bit of nightblooming panacea

sarahthegemini
February 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
I don't use oils anymore but when I did, I loved sweet almond and grapeseed.