PDA

View Full Version : Now that its long, big color difference top and bottom, what to do?

CavySong
February 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I LOVE my length! It looks great down loose or braided and its finally long enough to wrap across my crown in a braid, but when I do, the color difference is startling. I love my gray "grannie sparkles" but the brassy tint of the lower half of my locks just looks unappealing against my soft brown and silver roots. Any suggestions that are safe for my brittle ended hair? (And safe around the 3 going on 4 grandbabies that like to play in it?)

LaReineJaguar
February 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Your hair is so pretty! I love your waves and curls! As for strengthening hair, I like to take biotin and use coconut oil on mine. For the color difference, I think it looks nice. I think most people end up with lighter ends from the sun, so its probably more noticeable to you than to others. But I don't really what color products to recommend. I'm curious to see what others say!

sumidha
February 11th, 2014, 04:37 PM
There's several different threads in the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories forum on toning brassy ends with non-damaging dyes, but my google-fu is failing me at the moment. Personally I mix a tiny bit of Manic Panic blue dye into my conditioner to keep my color even. :)

Scarlet_Heart
February 11th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I think it looks lovely the way it is! The lightening at the bottom is just a consequence of it having been exposed to more sun than the top. But if it really bothers you, you can try demi permanent dyes.

I have used demi permanent hair dye with level 10 developer. So it lasts longer than semi-perm, but will eventually fade out and won't permanently lighten your hair. Obviously this only works if you're willing to go a little darker, not lighter. For context, I use a medium brown to blend my light brown hair with my dark red hennaed length. It does a pretty good job. You pretty much have to get the stuff at a beauty supply store though.

turtlelover
February 11th, 2014, 06:22 PM
A good blue/purple shampoo for gray hair would actually probably tone down the brassiness of the more porous ends a bit.

CavySong
February 14th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks, Everybody! I had actually thought about getting a dye...the shampoo sounds like it might also be a good idea to try. I appreciate the input! My hubby agrees with you, Scarlet_Heart, BTW. Another reason he's been my only Valentine since 1981!

Scarlet_Heart
February 14th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Yes, I mean one flat color is boring. Yours looks natural and lovely.

Arachnid
February 14th, 2014, 09:20 AM
A good blue/purple shampoo for gray hair would actually probably tone down the brassiness of the more porous ends a bit.

I second this. I used a 100ml free sample of 'Daddy-O' by lush to tone down my henned hair as it grew out, though I'm sure you could find a more cost effective shampoo :)

Arachnid
February 14th, 2014, 09:21 AM
oops double post

abauer789
February 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I have been using Aveda Clove conditioner - it really tones down my brassy hair that was previously bleached and then colored over to match my natural hair color. It is temporary and natural coloring conditioner that is made with coffee and cloves and such. It works great for me. Especially since I am growing out my natural color and need to baby the damaged hair - that is now down past my ears. It conditions nicely too.
Your waves are beautiful, btw!

Merrybethable
February 15th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I have this exact thing! But mine is from the dye I used when I started to grow out my hair. I don't know any other way of getting rid of the dyed ends but to cut them off and that is a good 2 inches of hair. I'm trying to put it off as long as possible so I don't miss the length but I am not sure if I will ever want to do it :(

spidermom
February 15th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Hair lighter at the ends is fashionable; enjoy yours.

ositarosita
February 15th, 2014, 10:32 AM
You could try a toner like manic panic virgin snow (demi permenant, plant based etc) there's also toner in shampoo conditioner (pantene silver expressions) ... all safe and remove the brasiness

mrs_coffee
February 15th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Hair lighter at the ends is fashionable; enjoy yours.

I was gonna say it kind of reminds me of the ombre dye jobs so many people are sporting right now. :)

HairFaerie
February 15th, 2014, 11:43 AM

I third this suggestion! :)

SkyChild
February 15th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I was gonna say it kind of reminds me of the ombre dye jobs so many people are sporting right now. :)

I third the "ombre is in" comment.

You could tone it with silver shampoo (it really works) or you could enjoy it. I think it looks lovely

CavySong
February 18th, 2014, 02:51 PM
:knit:

Thanks!