PDA

View Full Version : Sudden big shed, unknown cause

Mizumi
February 11th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Dear LHCers, I have a problem. I've never had any problems with shedding before. It started about a month ago. Firstly I thought it was going to be a temporary, random shed, but no. I used to lose literally 2-3 hairs while washing, now I lose about 20. Today I grabbed my hair gently and a big strand stayed in my hand :( It's becoming worse.. sadly, I don't even know a cause.. I have OK hormones, vitamins, I haven't changed anything in my routine and I don't have more stress than before. Please help me get know why it's like that and what I can do to stop it.

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Is it possible you have scalp build-up?

Mizumi
February 11th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I don't think so, I clarified once or twice..

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Hmmm... dry weather-> dry scalp-> scalp tightness-> irritation

YamaMaya
February 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM
If you've had a constant long going stressful situation it can affect your hair quite a lot. I had a very stressful period in my life and lost nearly half my thickness, I'm slowly getting it back now with good LHC hair care practices and hair vitamins. It could also be any number of sources of scalp irritation. If you're concerned, get some bloodwork done, sudden hair loss could indicate something much bigger. It could be nothing, but it's always good to rule out underlying health concerns.

lapushka
February 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
2 to 3 hairs seems rather abnormal to me. Can it be that you never noticed the shedding process that much, or payed much attention to it. 20 hairs is a minimal amount, seriously.

Aderyn
February 11th, 2014, 03:28 PM
2 to 3 hairs seems rather abnormal to me. Can it be that you never noticed the shedding process that much, or payed much attention to it. 20 hairs is a minimal amount, seriously.

This. I make a strong effort to pull out most of my shed hairs prior to the shower, but even when I'm in the shower, there are still at least 15-20 I missed.

2-3 definitely seems strange.

LaReineJaguar
February 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Does your scalp feel tender or anything?

Mizumi
February 11th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Does your scalp feel tender or anything?

My scalp feels like always, except I have some dandruff again. And I noticed more loss when I have unwashed hair

ooglipoo
February 11th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I've heard a stress shed doesn't start until some months after a stressful event. Did you have stress 3 months or so ago?

Madora
February 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Normal hair loss is 80 to 100 strands a day. If you are concerned, then make an appointment with your doctor and have a complete blood panel worked up. Maybe check your thyroid. Personally, I wouldn't get excited over a mere 20 hairs shed a day.

Scarlet_Heart
February 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Did you start to CO in the last 6 months?

Mizumi
February 11th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I've heard a stress shed doesn't start until some months after a stressful event. Did you have stress 3 months or so ago?

Not stress, but that time I was taking atibiotics and then I was weak due to it

To make things clear, by 20 hairs I meant amount I lose not daily, but while wash, plus amount I shed while brushing, touching hair etc. so I assume I lose a lot more than 20 daily

ooglipoo
February 11th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Were you very sick when you had to take the antibiotics?

I was wondering about CO, too, Scarlet_Heart. That made me shed terribly, when I put the CO on my scalp.

Mizumi
February 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Were you very sick when you had to take the antibiotics?

I was wondering about CO, too, Scarlet_Heart. That made me shed terribly, when I put the CO on my scalp.

I don't CO. I had probably bad flu, unfortunately nothing special for me since I have weak immune system :(

lapushka
February 11th, 2014, 04:40 PM
To make things clear, by 20 hairs I meant amount I lose not daily, but while wash, plus amount I shed while brushing, touching hair etc. so I assume I lose a lot more than 20 daily

That's even better. Usually sheds are more when you wash versus the normal amount you shed daily. This is because of the handling of the hair and such. So when you only lose 20 while "handling" the hair, that's amazing!

Mizumi
February 15th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Now I think maybe I make too big deal about it :rolleyes: I won't worry too much. Anyway, what can I do with ,,tired" scalp - when I have it I get dandruff and that's when hair is much weaker and fall easier? Moisturize it?

Firefox7275
February 15th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I don't CO. I had probably bad flu, unfortunately nothing special for me since I have weak immune system :(

Why did you have antibiotics (for bacteria) for influenza (a viral infection)? Did you get advised to take a course of probiotics (friendly bacteria) afterwards, ideally freeze dried capsules? Your gut flora is a key part of your immune system, also helps absorb and even manufacture nutrients.

Do be aware that a period of illness or poor nutrition IS stressful to the body, stress is far from just life events. What is the medical diagnosis for your flaky scalp condition? Most are inflammatory in origin, that can link in with immune imbalances/ systemic inflammation.

Do you have an underlying diagnosis for your 'weak immune system'? Forgetting supplements, are you eating a nutrient dense balanced wholefood diet? Not just fruit and veggies but loads of oily fish, seeds, nuts, beans, lentils, organ meats, whole eggs, plain dairy, etc? As little processed food as possible (that includes most wheat products)? Are you physically active daily (10,000 steps) and a healthy weight/ body fat? These all impact on immune function.

Mizumi
February 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Why did you have antibiotics (for bacteria) for influenza (a viral infection)? Did you get advised to take a course of probiotics (friendly bacteria) afterwards, ideally freeze dried capsules? Your gut flora is a key part of your immune system, also helps absorb and even manufacture nutrients.

Do be aware that a period of illness or poor nutrition IS stressful to the body, stress is far from just life events. What is the medical diagnosis for your flaky scalp condition? Most are inflammatory in origin, that can link in with immune imbalances/ systemic inflammation.

Do you have an underlying diagnosis for your 'weak immune system'? Forgetting supplements, are you eating a nutrient dense balanced wholefood diet? Not just fruit and veggies but loads of oily fish, seeds, nuts, beans, lentils, organ meats, whole eggs, plain dairy, etc? As little processed food as possible (that includes most wheat products)? Are you physically active daily (10,000 steps) and a healthy weight/ body fat? These all impact on immune function.

My mistake, I had flu before, antibiotics were for something else :mad: I started takling probiotics too late, probably because of that I was feeling weak (stomachache, no energy). But now I try to deal about my health, I eat good and I exercise often. And talking about dandruff, I used to have it a lot as a child, but it disappeared almost completely about year ago, so I thought it was because of scalp dryness, and now I have it again, even if I use delicate shampoos.

RoseofCimarron
February 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Now I think maybe I make too big deal about it :rolleyes: I won't worry too much. Anyway, what can I do with ,,tired" scalp - when I have it I get dandruff and that's when hair is much weaker and fall easier? Moisturize it?

Personally, I don't think you are making a big deal out of nothing. You are shedding more than is normal for you and that might be an indication that something might be wrong. I would be worried too. My guess would be that your body is showing some aftereffects of the antibiotics or from being sick. It could also be seasonal. You know, like how animals shed their fur in the spring? Both my mother and I seem to go through a shed right when summer is turning into fall.

My advice would be to try not to stress over the shedding (I know that can seem hard when you run your hand down your hair and a lot comes out), continue to monitor your shedding, and continue to eat right and exercise. Hopefully it will go away in a month or so.

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 02:09 PM
My mistake, I had flu before, antibiotics were for something else :mad: I started takling probiotics too late, probably because of that I was feeling weak (stomachache, no energy). But now I try to deal about my health, I eat good and I exercise often. And talking about dandruff, I used to have it a lot as a child, but it disappeared almost completely about year ago, so I thought it was because of scalp dryness, and now I have it again, even if I use delicate shampoos.

Some scalp disorders are linked to shedding if uncontrolled, see your family doctor or a dermatologist for a formal diagnosis. Simple dry scalp (xerosis) is relatively unusual, various forms of dermatitis (inflammatory) are more common.

divinedobbie
February 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Now I think maybe I make too big deal about it :rolleyes: I won't worry too much.

I don't think you're making a big deal out of it. If it's not normal for you, then you should be a little worried or at least curious. I know that statistics say you should lose 80-100 hairs a day but I shed very little. I lose about 3-5 hairs in the shower and then about 10-20 during the day handling my hair, so a few in the morning, a few throughout the day, and then when I rebraid/bun at night (even if I'm handling my hair a lot). One time I took out my braid and started fingercoming to come out with 45 hairs. The next morning I also lost close to 40 (I did count) so I was very worried but it seemed to stop after that. If your hair has been like this for a month, I would at least get it checked out to make sure it's not an underlying health problem - better to rest assured it's nothing. I suspect it's due to your weak immune system having gone through sickness and antibiotics, or it could be seasonal as someone else mentioned.

Leslieslsa
February 18th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I know how you are feeling, I am having the same problem. But it seems to come and go for me. I went to the doctor. Had blood work done, nothing but my ordinary disorders which are under control. I have thyroid, but the medication is controlling it. I have posted twice in here though in the last month freaking out over it, so don't feel bad. It is really scary because we work so hard to have long hair just to watch it shed. Mine doesn't seem to get much thinner, but it does go through some heavy shedding sometimes. If you are uncomfortable with this shedding, you could see your doctor to make sure it isn't something chemical, but if it isn't don't worry. I think mine is just starting to clear up on it's own once again. But I also have a host of psychiatric illness that lands me in and out of the hospital a lot. So that could be why I personally shed, but my hair is also thick and so it doesn't seem like it impacts that that much.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
It sounds like you are shedding a normal amount of hair. Noticing shed hairs that you've never seen before can be quite a shock, I know. When I got one of those hair-catcher things for my bathtub drain, I almost freaked out. I shed hairs when I comb or brush before my showers. I shed hairs while I'm massaging conditioner through my hair. I thought that was pretty much all I was shedding until I saw the wad stuck in the hair catcher. Holey-moley! I had no idea! Really. Now I'm used to seeing that. Bonus: I don't have to use a tool to pull a wad out hair out of the drain every couple of months anymore.