PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Someone stole my pictures.

RancheroTheBee
February 11th, 2014, 12:19 PM
While looking around for a new henna, I decided to Google the Caca Marron from Lush, thinking it might be a richer red... and found one of the pictures I posted here a few years ago after my first henna. :confused:

It was on a henna blog on Tumblr, and said it was an example of Marron (it wasn't). I know it's silly, but having my pictures taken without my consent is really annoying. Especially if they never read the text I appended to the image!

I'm assuming this happens to quite a few people here. Do you stamp your photos, or do you not think about it too much? Does it bother you?

JodiAaby
February 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Posting photos on the internet is always a risk imo. I run a beauty blog and I have found photos of my face all over the place, despite having the "right-click" option turned off on my website. You could always watermark your images but people can & do photoshop the watermark out. The only foolproof way to prevent your images being stolen is to put your name/trademark directly over your face or hair or whatever part of the image is largest. Personally, I feel like that detracts so much from the photo that it's not even worth it. Very frustrating but there's not much else that can be done, short of threatening to sue someone.

cosmic crusader
February 11th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I had some of my photography stolen and used by a pr0n site. Haha! I was almost flattered, but at the same time WTF.

DweamGoiL
February 11th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I have just come to terms with the fact that posting something on the Internet makes it sort of public domain and that once it's posted, it's never really gone even if you delete it.

Mellybee
February 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I had some of my photography stolen and used by a pr0n site. Haha! I was almost flattered, but at the same time WTF.

This happened to me, except I was extra horrified because it was a kiddies pr0n style site... When I was about 16 I uploaded pictures of me in a tube-top to my blog and they cut that out and advertised it as topless "barely legal" I was disgusted.

Sorry OP... Back to you! It's not fair at all that people just take pictures, much less that they put incorrect info next to it! Could you not message the blog owner and ask them to take it down? Most blogs have some form of contact. You could use the "ask" button on tumblr, or contact tumblr directly saying that they've used your picture without consent from another site and not reblogged from your own blog if you have one (note: reblogs might make it impossible to take down)

I don't know. I'm sorry it's happened. I wish people were more respectful.

LadyLongLocks
February 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I got some of my first hair photos in 2005 copied and posted on Ebay in a hair extension ad! I was horrified when I accidentally found myself.They were claiming I was their model wearing extensions. My hair was about tailbone length or a little longer in the photos. After that I put watermarks on all of my photos and never showed my face. I contacted the seller and told her who I was and got the photos taken down. I have had lots of theft through the years, even with watermarks, but at least they knew who I was! Here is a good tool to add watermark ALAMOON (http://www.alamoon.com/watermark-editor.html)

HairFaerie
February 11th, 2014, 07:51 PM
You can "watermark" your photos by putting your screen or nickname name in light letters across the pic. I know it kind of detracts from the pic, but at least it's something...

And I agree with the above posters that said once something is on the internet, you can pretty much bet someone will use it for something. We've all done it, in fact my avatar is a pic I Googled. I have no idea where it came from or who it originally belonged to. :\

RancheroTheBee
February 11th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for that!

Yeah, it wasn't so much that it was stolen but that they acted like they'd asked me what I'd used. They just made stuff up...?

And oh my god, I thought having my hair pics stolen was bad! D:

truepeacenik
February 12th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I'd post in the comments, stating the photo was used without permission, no one ever interviewed you and they have the product wrong.

But, I'm mean like that.

Night_Kitten
February 12th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I second the idea of posting in the comments - it probably won't get the picture removed, but at least the people who bother reading the comments will know the truth about that site...

Unicorn
February 12th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I have just come to terms with the fact that posting something on the Internet makes it sort of public domain and that once it's posted, it's never really gone even if you delete it.

This is my take on any pictures posted. Hence I don't post my face.

Unicorn

duchess67
February 12th, 2014, 10:25 AM
It had happened to me when I was active on Facebook. I googled my name and there popped up this particular site with my photograph which I've never signed up for. Whenever I changed my profile pic they took it. I then contacted them, asked them to remove my name and picture from their site. Later I changed my FB pic to my family pic, also changed the settings to private. It's been more than a year since I deactivated FB. I guess all social networking sites are the same, we need to be extra careful while posting pictures online. Or watermark all our photographs.

Seeshami
February 12th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I probably should stamp my photos because most of them are the professional work of AspenSong to protect her photography but I don't. And if some one steals one oh well it's my own fault. When I dress up strangers ask for my picture on a regular basis so it's sort of the same thing for me. If I am going to be the crazy lady in a ball gown I should expect photos to happen and them to be spread across the interwebs.

At least 4 strangers have pictures of me in my fairy costume. Red riding hood ran around the ice castles for a while so I am probably in some strangers photos there. The german guy asked for my photo in my maenad costume and I post on deviantart there is no safety to any of my photos.

So if any one every sees me feel free to be like "HA! you might have her picture but I KNOW her"

trolleypup
February 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I probably should stamp my photos because most of them are the professional work of AspenSong to protect her photography but I don't. And if some one steals one oh well it's my own fault. When I dress up strangers ask for my picture on a regular basis so it's sort of the same thing for me. If I am going to be the crazy lady in a ball gown I should expect photos to happen and them to be spread across the interwebs.

At least 4 strangers have pictures of me in my fairy costume. Red riding hood ran around the ice castles for a while so I am probably in some strangers photos there. The german guy asked for my photo in my maenad costume and I post on deviantart there is no safety to any of my photos.

So if any one every sees me feel free to be like "HA! you might have her picture but I KNOW her"
At least a few pictures of long haired guys here have shown up on ****** sites. In one case, I think a member signed up and posted the complimentary face picture!

There are sooo many pictures and videos of me out there, I just don't worry about it too much. Don't like image theft, but not much you can do.

ETA: I probably shouldn't try for elected office...someone would dig up the nude picture of me that graced the front page of a community newspaper.

Seeshami
February 12th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Well I am in a high school seniors paper on Belly Dancing as of now so who knows where that photo will have gone to.