PDA

View Full Version : Why do braids seem to cause breakage/white dots?

alishaxmarie
February 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Sooooo I'm stuck re-typing this.:rant: Sorry that it's not as eloquent as it was before lol.

I've noticed that whenever I braid my hair, I get LOTS of white dots which wouldn't have occurred if I had simply worn my hair down. This happens even with headband and coronet braids. I absolutely love braids but I hate the white dots that they apparently cause (at least in my case), so please help or feel free share your experiences with protecting your ends. :)

Could this simply be from my hair ties? (I usually use the ouchless kind that I try not to wrap too tightly, but I literally just bought some tiny elastics that claim to be hair friendly and are specifically meant for braids or babies' hair.)

Perhaps the only hairs that are speckled with white dots are the ones which stick out of the braid, and the majority of my hair is indeed being protected from friction. If this is the case, do you think it would be more damaging for those of us with fairy tails and layers to tie off our braids where it begins to look messy and then braid the remainder and tie off again (similar to the caterpillar braid)? Or would it be less damaging to simply leave a long tassel? I just worry that leaving a long tassel (which is also aesthetically unpleasing IMO) would leave my ends more exposed to the elements.

I AM NOT SAYING BRAIDS CAUSE DAMAGE THEMSELVES. I AM SAYING THAT THEY EXPOSE HAIR TO FRICTION WHICH LEADS TO DAMAGE THAT I HAVE NOTICED TO BE CENTRALIZED AROUND THE TASSEL AREA. Again, this is simply the case for me but I'm sure others have had similar issues even when they don't tie their braids off at the same place on a regular basis.

Madora
February 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
The white dots are already in your hair. Braiding doesn't create them.

You can use hair elastics w/o damage if you take them off the way you put them in...don't just pull them off.

Tieing off the braid can be damaging (over time) if you always tie off in the same place. The ends are the most fragile part of the hair, so varying where you place your tie is important.

I would strongly caution you against putting more strain on your ends by tieing off your braid where it begins to look messy and then braiding the remainder and tieing the end. That's one tie too many. If you're worried about damaging your hair further with elastics, you might want to try a soft fabric covered elastic (no metal!).

As far as the white dots...they can be caused by mechanical damage (back combing, teasing, harsh combing or brushing incorrectly) or by a lack of moisture in your hair.

You might want to investigate using catnip rinses to help combat the problem. The white dots are precursors to splits, so it is imperative that you get rid of any that you find. S and Ding (with sharp scissors) is one way. If there are just too many, then a slight trim might be in order.

catnip info: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

Tangle or Curl?
February 11th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I find that if I comb the end and the tie off point before tying it it's a lot kinder to the end. Even when I am ready to take the elastic out I just comb/brush the tassle and then pull the tie off normally with no damage.

Magalo
February 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM
My hair is tapered/layered and I tied off before it tapers too much. I leave a long tassel. I think long tassels are much more aesthetically than short tassel. To each their own.

alishaxmarie
February 11th, 2014, 11:42 AM
The white dots are already in your hair. Braiding doesn't create them.

You can use hair elastics w/o damage if you take them off the way you put them in...don't just pull them off.

Tieing off the braid can be damaging (over time) if you always tie off in the same place. The ends are the most fragile part of the hair, so varying where you place your tie is important.

I would strongly caution you against putting more strain on your ends by tieing off your braid where it begins to look messy and then braiding the remainder and tieing the end. That's one tie too many. If you're worried about damaging your hair further with elastics, you might want to try a soft fabric covered elastic (no metal!).

As far as the white dots...they can be caused by mechanical damage (back combing, teasing, harsh combing or brushing incorrectly) or by a lack of moisture in your hair.

You might want to investigate using catnip rinses to help combat the problem. The white dots are precursors to splits, so it is imperative that you get rid of any that you find. S and Ding (with sharp scissors) is one way. If there are just too many, then a slight trim might be in order.

catnip info: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

Already starting using catnip rinses last week ;) but I should have phrased it more carefully. I know there is friction damage no matter what but if I look at my tassel right after braiding my hair, it looks fine and healthy with no visible damage. After an hour however, there are white dots everywhere. I never just rip hair ties out of my hair and I was going to buy some of the satin-covered elastics but they would be huge and super noticeable when doing Heidi braids or a braided headband so they weren't quite as appealing to me at the time (plus they were like 5 times the cost for 1/50 the quantity of these tiny clear elastics, not to mention the reviews said they stretch out easily and thus weren't worth my money anyway). I guess I need more moisture but I do SMTs, use coconut oil, and CO-wash so idk what else I can do for that :/

Tangle or Curl?
February 11th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Clear elastics are really grabby and sticky. They pull on the cuticle a lot. I like the tiny fabric covered ones in the same colour as my hair. They are very small and sometimes blend better than clear because they do not shine more than the hair. Goody makes them for super cheap. I think last time I got a pack of 50 for $2 or something.

alishaxmarie
February 11th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Clear elastics are really grabby and sticky. They pull on the cuticle a lot. I like the tiny fabric covered ones in the same colour as my hair. They are very small and sometimes blend better than clear because they do not shine more than the hair. Goody makes them for super cheap. I think last time I got a pack of 50 for $2 or something.

I went by the reviews that the product was given online before I ordered. No one complained that they snagged or ripped hair and a lot of people were using them on toddlers' fine, thin hair. I received them in the mail today and they're a lot stretchier than I imagined. I got 250 of them for $2 including shipping lol. But I will look into them if I ever see any in stores :)

Zebra Fish
February 12th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Why don't you try little claw clips? My hair is a V shape + the last part is fairy tale ends and dryish (from dying - slowly trimming this part out) so my braid is pretty tapered. I braid it all the way down, coz I should leave a really long tassel and I'm afraid to let it that much free, and "tie" it with a little claw clip. It's not esthetically nice, but no damage at all. If I braid for job, I usually bend my braid and put the ends with the little clip under the start of the braid (dunno how to better explain this) and clip it with two clips like this http://http://www.savjetnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ukrasi-za-kosu.jpg (http://www.savjetnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ukrasi-za-kosu.jpg) (the 2 ones with "long noses"). If I am at home or somewhere I don't mind people, i just have the braid down with the little claw clip at the end instead of a tie.

restless
February 12th, 2014, 04:52 AM
I know there is friction damage no matter what but if I look at my tassel right after braiding my hair, it looks fine and healthy with no visible damage. After an hour however, there are white dots everywhere.

I dont really understand this part to be honest. Where are the white dots that show up after only an hour? In the tassle itself? Then it doesnt seem logical in my tired mind that the hair tie has anything do with it. I mean, the hairtie is where it is, right? And the white dots occur outside of the hair tie, in the loose hair of the little tassle? Or under the hair tie and only visible when you remove it? If its the first option then it sounds more like (extreme!) friction damage caused by the clothes or rubbing against the back of chairs or something.

ExpectoPatronum
February 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I find that if I comb the end and the tie off point before tying it it's a lot kinder to the end. Even when I am ready to take the elastic out I just comb/brush the tassle and then pull the tie off normally with no damage.

I'm going to have to start doing that.

Anje
February 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Clear elastics are really grabby and sticky. They pull on the cuticle a lot.
Seconding this. I can't use the silicone ones without getting considerable damage. (Some people seem to be able to, but I certainly am not one of them.) Oddly, I seem to be OK with the "poly" ones that I found recently in various fun colors, so sometimes experimentation is in order. Terrycloth ties, often intended for small children, are fantastic braid enders, as are the stretchy cloth "hair hosiery" style ties. I used to like tiny claw clips, too, but I've had a few too many of them go flying off my braid lately, so I've been using other ties instead. Parandas are heavier, but a fantastic way to get around the end-of-the-braid hairtie problem.

Experiment. There will be good ways for you to fasten the end of your braid without damage.

bunzfan
February 12th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Seconding this. I can't use the silicone ones without getting considerable damage. (Some people seem to be able to, but I certainly am not one of them.) Oddly, I seem to be OK with the "poly" ones that I found recently in various fun colors, so sometimes experimentation is in order. Terrycloth ties, often intended for small children, are fantastic braid enders, as are the stretchy cloth "hair hosiery" style ties. I used to like tiny claw clips, too, but I've had a few too many of them go flying off my braid lately, so I've been using other ties instead. Parandas are heavier, but a fantastic way to get around the end-of-the-braid hairtie problem.

Experiment. There will be good ways for you to fasten the end of your braid without damage.

I think I've just found the cause of my damage I was using them and all the splits and dots where in my braid tassel I've just recently gone back to ouchless ones I'm a finey too.

alishaxmarie
February 13th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I dont really understand this part to be honest. Where are the white dots that show up after only an hour? In the tassle itself? Then it doesnt seem logical in my tired mind that the hair tie has anything do with it. I mean, the hairtie is where it is, right? And the white dots occur outside of the hair tie, in the loose hair of the little tassle? Or under the hair tie and only visible when you remove it? If its the first option then it sounds more like (extreme!) friction damage caused by the clothes or rubbing against the back of chairs or something.

The white dots are noticeable above, below, and underneath the hair tie which I usually secure 2 inches above my ends. So I'm going to try that combing thing that Tangle or Curl? suggested, at least when I braid my hair at home, as well as tying the braid off 3-4 inches above my ends instead. I never let my hair rub against chairs; I always pull it over one of my shoulders while sitting. I'll even refuse to wear my backpack properly while walking around campus so that I'm not constantly thinking about the friction it's causing lol. I've gotten pretty anal the past few months.

Anje, I've been meaning to make a longer paranda for awhile now, I should really get on that :) I'll have to look for clips sometime when I have extra money if tying off higher up doesn't have any affect.