PDA

View Full Version : Impulse to Shave it All Off

Joyce_Alison
February 11th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I suffer from anxiety & trichotillomania.. so I have pulled out a large area of my hair above my right ear. I've been trying to hide it the past couple weeks by doing a side-part, pinning my long "bangs" back, & wearing thick fabric headband/turbans.

But last night I pulled out even MORE hair! I am really fed up! The thought of having to grow in that "bald spot" really annoys me! And the thought that all of my hair is not the same length! I suppose it is my perfectionism that drives me to either have perfect hair or no hair at all! I am looking at wigs online.... that go on sale tomorrow. I plan on ordering two & trying them out.. if they are natural-looking, beautiful, comfortable & secure... I am doing it! am going to shave my head.

I am doing WO right now... but I'd like to start NW/SO. I figure that the transition phase will be a breeze with my hair so short. Any experienced NW/SOs have any input? Or any tips from anyone who struggles with hair-pulling?

Magalo
February 11th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Shaving it off will hide the problem but it won't solve it. I wouldn't do anything drastic before your trich is in control.

Tangle or Curl?
February 11th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Would shaving it all of not just be another form of attacking it, like pulling it out? I recently started tugging out my damaged shafts lately. It came as a huge shock to me how many I took out last week when my scalp started to hurt, especially since I have never had Trich before. Then I trimmed an inch off of it and have since had the urge again. I think scissors and buzz clippers are just another form of tugging hairs. I've just decided to try a cold turkey 'stop that'. Made my BF hide the scissors and he is helping me keep my hands out of my hair.

It's yours and you can do what you want with it, but perhaps you should just take a while longer to think about it. Maybe take up hats and scarves as a hobby in the meantime, as a barrier to your hands. That's been helping me a lot.

Angelica
February 11th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I have heard that sufferers do resort to shaving their heads because then the hair is too short to pull. You might want to keep in mind that eventually you will do so much damage that your hair will never grow back again. I suffer from the condition also, although it is not head hair I pull. I literally pulled my eyebrows to oblivion and the damage is permanent now. Mostly bald eyebrows! So please stop it now. There are forums out there that can help you, also you need to see a therapist about this, because it is a mania and it can be controlled, especially since you also have anxiety. I once saw a day time programme where a woman had pulled all her hair out and was having a special cap fitted and artificial hair threaded through. I know the urge to pull is a release, but eyebrows are one thing, head hair is quite another! I can pencil in my eyebrows, or resort to tattoos, what would you do if all your hair was permanently damaged?

MeganE
February 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I have heard that sufferers do resort to shaving their heads because then the hair is too short to pull. You might want to keep in mind that eventually you will do so much damage that your hair will never grow back again. I suffer from the condition also, although it is not head hair I pull. I literally pulled my eyebrows to oblivion and the damage is permanent now. Mostly bald eyebrows! So please stop it now. There are forums out there that can help you, also you need to see a therapist about this, because it is a mania and it can be controlled, especially since you also have anxiety. I once saw a day time programme where a woman had pulled all her hair out and was having a special cap fitted and artificial hair threaded through. I know the urge to pull is a release, but eyebrows are one thing, head hair is quite another! I can pencil in my eyebrows, or resort to tattoos, what would you do if all your hair was permanently damaged?

Not mania, a compulsion I believe. Mania refers to the hyper mood elevation that is considered the "opposite" of depression, and a feature of Bipolar Disorder.

Trichotillomania is characterized as an impulse control disorder, and Angelica is right that the impulses can be controlled, with therapy and help. Sooner rather than later! And you may want to keep your hair, for practice resisting, but I have no experience and really don't know.