PDA

View Full Version : Buns that you can not do!

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Which buns seems to be impossible for you to either do or to get remotely nice looking?

Impossible: Lazy wrap. It just.....no. I can not get it to work even if I follow the tutorials.
Crap result: Disc bun, celtic knot. Sad looking knobby things.

Wosie
February 11th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Ha! Funny that I found this thread just after deciding that I will try to do one hairstyle every day for a while. I randomized and got... *drum roll* ...the celtic knot. Needless to say my hair was far too short to pull that one off. :lala:

Next randomized bun: Orchid bun. Couldn't do that one either. Either my hair is too short/layered for everything but the cinnabun, or I need lotsa practice to make even the easiest buns. ;/ No worries, I shall persist!

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Which buns seems to be impossible for you to either do or to get remotely nice looking?

Impossible: Lazy wrap. It just.....no. I can not get it to work even if I follow the tutorials.
Crap result: Disc bun, celtic knot. Sad looking knobby things.

I have the exact same problem as you but, i'm just getting them to work now i did have to practice and these are meant to be the easy ones :lol:

I do a lwb this way
Easy LWB (http://youtu.be/iG9PPb8gCsI)

MissBubble
February 11th, 2014, 04:33 AM
I am only good at cinnabuns, nautilus, sock buns, infinity and a simple chinese with a stick.
Anything more complicated is a disaster. But I will learn...

Teufelchen
February 11th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Everything braided that requires more than 3 strands or french/dutch/lace/waterfall braiding. I just can't do it, even if my life depend on it, I can't do it.

Henrietta
February 11th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Celtic knot. When I look at CinnamonHair's hair I want this bun. Now! So bad! It looks fantastic. But I can't get it, I just can't. It is possible that I have too short hair, still. And maybe, even at BCL, I need thicker ends. Whatver is the reason, I am waiting. If I am at TBL and still unable to figure this bun out, I will start panicking ;)

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Celtic knot. When I look at CinnamonHair's hair I want this bun. Now! So bad! It looks fantastic. But I can't get it, I just can't. It is possible that I have too short hair, still. And maybe, even at BCL, I need thicker ends. Whatver is the reason, I am waiting. If I am at TBL and still unable to figure this bun out, I will start panicking ;)

Have you seen JJJ's one i can just do that and i'm only hip ;) its really easy .

ravenheather
February 11th, 2014, 06:10 AM
A crown braid. I just cannot braid upside down.

RapunzelKat
February 11th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Celtic knot and orchid bun :( Love them both, but my hair is so long and skinny that I end up with a tiny micro-bun wrapped in a yard-long tail of hair. And they won't stay, either.

This of course does not even include the styles I've never tried because I know they're beyond my current skill level. :D Crown braid, for example.

As of yesterday, I have officially come up with a LWB version that works in my hair. Woohoo! :disco: I have a disc bun version that works too, but it tends to come out too tight.

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2014, 06:29 AM
All buns except a traditional bun and English braided bun. I know there's no hope for me.

breezefaerie
February 11th, 2014, 06:36 AM
I can't do any braiding other than English or rope. I definitely can't do most buns and rely on my LWB and Nautilus to get me through.

Monkshood
February 11th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I can only do a simple braided bun (braided cinnabun?) and disc bun. I'm nearly at hip, but with my 6" circumference, I need more length still to achieve most buns. So annoying.

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Celtic knot and orchid bun :( Love them both, but my hair is so long and skinny that I end up with a tiny micro-bun wrapped in a yard-long tail of hair. And they won't stay, either.

This of course does not even include the styles I've never tried because I know they're beyond my current skill level. :D Crown braid, for example.

As of yesterday, I have officially come up with a LWB version that works in my hair. Woohoo! :disco: I have a disc bun version that works too, but it tends to come out too tight.

Woo hoo indeed :cool: i have managed a disc bun that works finally.

Neneka
February 11th, 2014, 06:58 AM
French twist. I just can't do that. It never works. Tutorials seem so easy but it just doesn't work like that when I try to do it.

walterSCAN
February 11th, 2014, 07:00 AM
(Not a bun, but: ) French braids! I can dutch or english braid all day, I can even get a fishtail braid with diligence, but can't french braid to save my life! It's just... upside down or inside out or something... Grrr.

tlover
February 11th, 2014, 07:07 AM
I Think it's called french twist??? that I can't do (they are called "svinrygg" on Swedish)
and I can't do french/Dutch braids even though I have tried since I was a kid (my mom who has been a short hair the last 20 tears can probably still do them both in her sleep, she had them all the time when she had long hair) they turn out a french/duch combo

spidermom
February 11th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I have the exact same problem as you but, i'm just getting them to work now i did have to practice and these are meant to be the easy ones :lol:

I do a lwb this way

Well how cool is this! I just did my first LWB.

Kherome
February 11th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Me too

NoRush
February 11th, 2014, 07:15 AM
most of them... my hair is a little too slippery and thick for most buns at this length (BSL). Because of the texture, I'll need the extra length to manage most cool buns so, the rose bun or plain old cinnabun are my go to.

ooglipoo
February 11th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I learned the LWB from bunzfan's video, too! Great work! :D

Orchid bun gets me every time I try. It comes out so tight and strange...

Last time I tried Celtic knot it was a fail.

Anything where the hair rubs backwards on itself just doesn't feel right.

Log roll and French twist are beyond my abilities for some reason... They look so beautiful, though!

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Well how cool is this! I just did my first LWB.

Yay im so so pleased its the only way i can do one that holds, works that way with forks,sticks,ficcares and flexi's :D

Anje
February 11th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Can't do a decent disk bun to save my life. Sock buns aren't much good either, but that's clearly related to thickness. I can't do anything particularly loose, as my hair will compact and sag instead of holding its shape.

ashke50
February 11th, 2014, 07:49 AM
French twist, sock bun, french plait - I have tried all of them and the results... well they made some nice posts in the hairstyle fails thread!

I have managed to do a disc bun and a LWB, but neither of them look nice in my hair (which I suspect is more to do with my skill than the buns themselves).

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 07:55 AM

I do a lwb this way

Isn't that a Nautilus bun?

Kherome
February 11th, 2014, 07:56 AM
For you french twist haters, have you tried it this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cjaX_rUuE

Scarlet_Heart
February 11th, 2014, 07:57 AM
It's everyone's easy, go-to bun but it just does not work for me. The Nautilus bun. I can never get it to stay. I can make one, put the stick through, and it will hold for an hour maybe before it loosens and comes undone. I've tried putting the stick in all kinds of ways... it's just my bun kryptonite. Can't do it.

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Oh, please explain your LWB! I also tend to get the micro bun with that one.

ashke50
February 11th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Scarlet_Heart, I had the same thing with the Gibraltar bun. I've had some advice on that one though, which may help. Haven't tried it since so I don't know. The advice was to make sure the hairstick goes through the loops themselves rather than between them (if that makes sense).

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Isn't that a Nautilus bun?

I agree that it is very similar in how it is twisted. ....i cant do 4 or 5 strand braids believe me i've tried crown braids,spiral braids but not 4 or 5 :sad:

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Yep, I'm deeeeeeerp at french braiding/dutch braiding but that is due to my lenght more then to the braid itself. My hair just tangles up horribly and trying to untangle it makes me loose grip on the hair or were I was. So no.

But I have purchased one of these "magic braiders" on Ebay because I want to be able to do french braided buns due to the security of them (and the nice looking middle). I figured it is worth a shot.

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Scarlet_Heart, I had the same thing with the Gibraltar bun. I've had some advice on that one though, which may help. Haven't tried it since so I don't know. The advice was to make sure the hairstick goes through the loops themselves rather than between them (if that makes sense).

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a tutorial for a messy bun that is a "cousin" to the Gibraltar. It may help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbiEWdaxJGI

hypersensitive
February 11th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Infinity bun and even harder, the vertical version - the figure 8.

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 08:14 AM
For you french twist haters, have you tried it this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6cjaX_rUuE

Seriously - I need vacation. I just clicked the link and watch a good ten seconds before it clicked......

schnibbles
February 11th, 2014, 08:15 AM
I can't do a disk bun..I'm sure I'm twisting it in the wrong direction or something, but I just can't understand what I'm supposed to be doin'. :headache:

tlover
February 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM

I can't make those either but that's becouse my hair is to long, it looks nice but it's no eight anywere

Kherome
February 11th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Seriously - I need vacation. I just clicked the link and watch a good ten seconds before it clicked......

Ha ha !!!

woolyleprechaun
February 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Figure 8 or infinity....just no. And the treble clef one doesn't work for me either. Whilst on the subject, I'd like to complain that I haven't been able to do a crown braid since BSL.

MeAndTheMaz
February 11th, 2014, 08:22 AM

It might more amusing. . .I mean, informative if you show the results.:o

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 08:24 AM
It might more amusing. . .I mean, informative if you show the results.:o

Challenge accepted!

rowie
February 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM
crap results: Disc bun (I think this works better for people with straight hair), Celtic Knot and cinnabun (gives me headaches cause mine is heavy).

Impossible for the moment until I hit my goal:

Elizabethan hair taping (taking a single strand English braid and wrapping it around my head, and using ribbon to support it.) I think I need at least classic length+ for thick hair, and i'm 5'11.
Gossamar's Helix Bun, again you need at least classic length for this type of bun to look decent, the longer the fuller and better this bun looks.
Finally, a ginormous rosebun. i've seen people at classic length and beyond who do this bun and it looks phenomenal not to need to do a vortex variation, but just a simple variation to show off length.

cathair
February 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Non-twisted cinnamon bun is my nemesis this week :taz: I like cinnamon buns, but I prefer buns that aren't twisted. Trying to do a non-twisted version ends up being a poofy mess :/ It's really hard to get it to stay with spin pins, which seem like they should be easiest. U pins kind of work, but only for about an hour before they fall out.

I can just about do a disc bun sometimes, but trying to take it down is a nightmare, the ends up in a tangled together mess.

lindsayhv
February 11th, 2014, 08:57 AM
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx317/lhdrouillard/hair%20photos/0C1B7CF4-3B98-42AB-9E9C-36C534F10496_zpsqkiskoeg.jpg (http://s767.photobucket.com/user/lhdrouillard/media/hair%20photos/0C1B7CF4-3B98-42AB-9E9C-36C534F10496_zpsqkiskoeg.jpg.html)
whatever this is, I cannot do it! In fact, I am terrible at buns and they all look tiny!
Excuse the huge photo and my messy desk!

cathair
February 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM
whatever this is, I cannot do it! In fact, I am terrible at buns and they all look tiny!
Excuse the huge photo and my messy desk!

Wow, it doesn't look tiny to me!

askan
February 11th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Oh, my hair is too short for most buns. I can make a cinnabun with hairsticks with damp hair, it seems to stay a little better, but nothing else. I can do a lot of them as half-ups though! But yeah, the crownbraid and crown lacebraid... works fine until i get to the second ear, then I cant figure out how to do it. Blah!

lapushka
February 11th, 2014, 09:06 AM
None yet, but we have not been experimenting that much (my mom makes my buns for me). I only wore a cinnabun, or lazy wrap bun or peacock twist so far.

KittyBird
February 11th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Hummm.. None at all? It sure feels like that sometimes :p It would be easier to make a list of the buns I can do, but I'll write down the buns that are currently impossible.
Figure-8, Infinity bun, Orchid bun, Pha bun (it murders my scalp!), Equilibrium bun, Log roll, French twist, Hypno bun, Knot bun, Sock bun, Gibraltar bun, Braided cinnabun, Chinese bun (it looks ugly on me), Flipped cinnabun. I've probably forgotten many, but I think it's pretty obvious that me and my crazy hair has bunning issues. :lol:

I can do disc bun, cinnabun (but only sometimes), nautilus bun, and LWB (also only sometimes. It doesn't always work). Braided buns only work if they're centerheld and made with two braids. I'm usually wearing a nautilus or disc bun, because I'm too lazy to braid my hair most days. :o

Taenarian
February 11th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Still working on the disc bun and maybe almost have it down. Anything beyond that, pfffft, not yet .... LOL

Skade
February 11th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Hypnobun and lazy wrap bun are challenging for me.

Hatsune Miku
February 11th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Everything besides the infinity bun XD

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Let me present the entertainment for tonight, brought to you by Post Henna Frizz Production Company!

The lazy frizz-blob!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/12461584774_9551022560.jpg

The knobby disc blob with loose-on-their-foot-ends and a naughty scalp peep-show!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/12461205385_f6fd322784.jpg

The unraveling celtic mess!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3801/12461759724_d2a878efaa.jpg

bunzfan
February 11th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Let me present the entertainment for tonight, brought to you by Post Henna Frizz Production Company!

The lazy frizz-blob!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/12461584774_9551022560.jpg

The knobby disc blob with loose-on-their-foot-ends and a naughty scalp peep-show!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/12461205385_f6fd322784.jpg

The unraveling celtic mess!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3801/12461759724_d2a878efaa.jpg

I love seeing your updo's all i see is pure awesomness i like kaelee's disc bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Magalo
February 11th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Cinnabun are either extremely uncomfortable, and when they don't pull, they are ugly. :lol:

Hair is too short for celtic knot.

I can do a modified infinity bun, but a regular one (coil twice then unfold the two coil) look like CRAP! I guess my hair is too tapered/layered.

Lirona
February 11th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I can't get a brioche bun to hold. I make it and it looks great, but then it falls out with a single turn of my head. I've tried sticks, pins, forks... So frustrating!

ETA: The equilibrium/treble clef bun has also been eluding me. Sniff.

excentricat
February 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I have lots of buns that come out looking nothing like the tutorials at least some of the time. The worst, most impossible, is the snail bun. I can't make the shape, can't make the shape I do get secure. The entire bun is a lie for me.

Madora
February 11th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Most of them, except for double braided buns or the Chinese braided bun. I'm not fond of buns because most of them concentrate the hair in one area which I never found comfortable to wear. I'm not a fan of hairsticks or forks and prefer braids over buns.

RapunzelKat
February 11th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Oh, please explain your LWB! I also tend to get the micro bun with that one.

I shall do my best to explain :D

Start just like you would with a regular lazy wrap - hair in between the thumb and index of the left hand.

Wrap the hair loosely around your 3 fingers, going in between the ring finger and pinky. (It does need to be loose. Otherwise you won't be able to pop the hairstick back through the loops, or you'll wind up with a bun so tight it pulls your eyebrows up :bluebiggr) I actually spread my fingers out to keep the loop bigger.

Keep going like a regular lazy wrap, wrapping the hair one or two full times around the loop.

Here's where it changes: once you've made at least one full wrap, take the hair around your fingers again and make a second loop right on top of the first. (As if you were starting the bun over again.)

Continue wrapping the tail as normal until you can tuck your ends, making sure the bun stays loose.

Once your ends are tucked, push the left-hand side of the loop down so it sort of goes around the middle of the bun. Slide your hairstick in along your left middle and index fingers that are still in the loops. Then turn the stick around, work it back through the bun, and pop it back out the loops you've pushed down on the left hand side. The bun will immediately tighten to a comfortable tension when you do this. If it feels way loose, you may have missed the second loop with the stick on the way back out. This happened to me like 20 time while I was trying to figure this one out. :D

Ok, I hope this long-winded explanation is helpful! I've actually been toying with the idea of doing a video for this one, as I think it might be helpful for others who get that wad-of-hair-with-a-tiny-loop-on-the-side effect. All I have for videos is my iPhone though, so I'm not sure if I could really do that. :shrug:

ETA: I'm loving this thread. It's so nice to know that there are others just as bun-impaired as me! :cheese:

AspenSong
February 11th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I've got quite a list of buns I can't make work. Some of them, I can get right once in a while or I have one time and then never again. I've gotten like, two, decent LWB's and that's it. Usually is just a horrible mess.
I cannot do a sock bun because I don't have the thickness to spread over the form or sock and doing the fully rolled one just tangles my hair badly since the strands are so crazy thin.
Also can't get a Pha bun to look right with a fork, but I can get it with sticks. Can't get a beautiful disk bun, or a good seashell bun. And I have nearly 100% given up on a figure 8 or infinity bun. Never going to look right.

However, I can get a decent looking Celtic knot bun usually and that makes me happy. :)

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I shall do my best to explain :D

Start just like you would with a regular lazy wrap - hair in between the thumb and index of the left hand.

Wrap the hair loosely around your 3 fingers, going in between the ring finger and pinky. (It does need to be loose. Otherwise you won't be able to pop the hairstick back through the loops, or you'll wind up with a bun so tight it pulls your eyebrows up :bluebiggr) I actually spread my fingers out to keep the loop bigger.

Keep going like a regular lazy wrap, wrapping the hair one or two full times around the loop.

Here's where it changes: once you've made at least one full wrap, take the hair around your fingers again and make a second loop right on top of the first. (As if you were starting the bun over again.)

Continue wrapping the tail as normal until you can tuck your ends, making sure the bun stays loose.

Once your ends are tucked, push the left-hand side of the loop down so it sort of goes around the middle of the bun. Slide your hairstick in along your left middle and index fingers that are still in the loops. Then turn the stick around, work it back through the bun, and pop it back out the loops you've pushed down on the left hand side. The bun will immediately tighten to a comfortable tension when you do this. If it feels way loose, you may have missed the second loop with the stick on the way back out. This happened to me like 20 time while I was trying to figure this one out. :D

Ok, I hope this long-winded explanation is helpful! I've actually been toying with the idea of doing a video for this one, as I think it might be helpful for others who get that wad-of-hair-with-a-tiny-loop-on-the-side effect. All I have for videos is my iPhone though, so I'm not sure if I could really do that. :shrug:

ETA: I'm loving this thread. It's so nice to know that there are others just as bun-impaired as me! :cheese:

Are you treating the 2 loops as 1? Because I got that to work, but it is a little knobbly thing on my head now.

Hele
February 11th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I do a lwb this way

i of course had to try this lwb version immediately and oh my goodness, i absolutely love it! Thank you!

as for my problem buns--what works for me one week won't work the next, and what wouldn't work for me last week works this one. So it's a cycle and i can't call out any specific bun at the moment. Except the cinnabun, it hates me. Isn't it supposed to be one of the easy ones?!

tetisheri72
February 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Been a long day? :D

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:33 PM
HOLY HAIR OF HEINY - I just made a brioch bun for the first time ever and IT IS SO COMFY with just hairsticks! No pulling!

(Ok, it looked like a regular dinner roll, but whatever - pretty sticks and you are good to go!)

tetisheri72
February 11th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Try the Hypno Infinity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgsQEUvWnT0). Easy to flip vertical too. That's what I'm wearing right now. Pretty and easy.

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:35 PM
i of course had to try this lwb version immediately and oh my goodness, i absolutely love it! Thank you!

as for my problem buns--what works for me one week won't work the next, and what wouldn't work for me last week works this one. So it's a cycle and i can't call out any specific bun at the moment. Except the cinnabun, it hates me. Isn't it supposed to be one of the easy ones?!

Yep - I was out of the Hypno Bun for.....eh, like 3-4 years?

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Been a long day? :D

Been a long two-weeks-on-to-the-third-one. With a sore throat and stuffy head and memory issues and heaps of other things...I did however remember to put pants on this morning and I consider this day to be a victory because of that (even if the underpants was the wrong side out).

tetisheri72
February 11th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I can't do the gibraltor or the orchid. They are both just too tight on me. Same with the cinnabun. Anything that I have to twist first just ends up too tight. I've just started learning how to do the pha. The first time I did it, it wasn't too bad. But it's a start. Same with the seashell. I used to be able to do Spidermom's bun and chinese buns really well, but I think I need to practice with them again. They feel weird when I'm wearing them. Right now I go back and forth between the nautilus, artemis, LWB, disk, and Hypno infinity. And of course, braided versions there of.

tetisheri72
February 11th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Been a long two-weeks-on-to-the-third-one. With a sore throat and stuffy head and memory issues and heaps of other things...I did however remember to put pants on this morning and I consider this day to be a victory because of that (even if the underpants was the wrong side out).

We take our victories where we can! I've had those days. I hope you feel better soon.

sumidha
February 11th, 2014, 12:46 PM
French twist, or any variation or modification thereof, at any length of hair. It just doesn't work. If I do manage to get it to hold securely, it still looks freaky weird. When I get home to all my supplies I'll post some pictures in the hairstyle fail thread for people to laugh at. >.<

Ginkgo
February 11th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I've got a Bun which beckmessern too tiger every time tetisheri. The Pha Bun. It. makes me totally crazy!

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I've got a Bun which beckmessern too tiger every time tetisheri. The Pha Bun. It. makes me totally crazy!

I like my buns too tiger, actually! ;)

Hypnotica
February 11th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Well.

This thread has been an eye-opener - in search of buns I can not do, I did quickly check my old videos thinking that surely I can not do the buns I did with shorter hair and fondly remembering The Everyday Bun as the foolproof staple and.....

I did it. And it worked.

*runs of happy to throw garbage*

RapunzelKat
February 11th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Are you treating the 2 loops as 1? Because I got that to work, but it is a little knobbly thing on my head now.

Yes, I am treating the two loops as one. The trick for me seems to be the combo of the double loop and keeping the whole thing loose (like, just draping the hair around instead of wrapping snugly) until I insert the stick. I get a pretty normal-sized bun with this method.

Your hair is quite a bit longer than mine, maybe you could add a 3rd loop?

Aderyn
February 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Out of the ones I've attempted, the celtic knot and a lot of knot buns and their variations as well as the orchid bun and the Gibraltar.

Even though it isn't a bun, I cannot, for the life of me, do a rope braid either. Or having two french braids (mainly having them symmetrical) go down into one braid then into a bun is just a disaster.

I can't make those either but that's becouse my hair is to long, it looks nice but it's no eight anywere

I learned how to do the Infinity/Figure 8 from TorrinPaige who has very long and thick hair and can still do those buns. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyc-1cT9_AE

nobeltonya
February 11th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I think I got a Celtic knot bun once, but haven't been able to get it at all since... :disco:

Verdandi
February 11th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I spent forever trying to make the nautilus bun work because everyone really seemed to enjoy it, but after a while I decided it was a stupid bun ;)

Retried it week ago and now it works like a charm. I should go through the rest of my "Stupid buns that only works on everyone else"-list, at the moment consisting of:
-The fan bun (might be due to short hair, though)
- The woven bun
- Rose bun
- Cameo bun (well... it works, it's just painfully small...)

YamaMaya
February 11th, 2014, 02:46 PM
I can do two buns, the Lazy Wrap and the Cinnibun. My hair simply won't stay in anything else, and all buns tend to look bad in my hair because inevitably something will stick out due to layering, still waiting to grow out those f...buggers :p.

QMacrocarpa
February 11th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I can't do the gibraltor or the orchid. They are both just too tight on me. Same with the cinnabun. Anything that I have to twist first just ends up too tight.
After I twist and coil up my hair for the Gibraltar bun, I always loosen it by rotating the bun something like a half- or quarter-turn before securing it. Perhaps that would get you a more comfortable result.

tetisheri72
February 11th, 2014, 03:30 PM
That might help. I'll have to try that next time.

Robot Ninja
February 11th, 2014, 04:13 PM
It's easier to list the buns I can do. I can do a cinnamon bun, a Chinese bun, and a terrible-looking nautilus bun. That's it. I suck at hairstyling, and the layers don't make it any easier.

sparrowswing
February 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Infinity & Figure-8 Buns - No matter how many times I've tried, regardless of which method I follow or which instructions I reference, the resulting bun, while stable and secure, never looks anything like an infinity symbol or the number 8. The closest I ever got was a figure 8 with a big knob in the middle. And anything involving French, Dutch, or Lace braiding, because separating my hair into lots of small sections is just asking for it to tie itself in knots that inevitably result in broken hair.

Honorable mention goes to the cinnamon bun because I can never get it to lie flat to my head. It always wants to go all bee-butt style on me. It's easier if I braid it first and then pin every 2-3 inches as I coil, but even then I end up with this big mound in the center, with it lying flatter as the bun expands.

Brielle
February 11th, 2014, 06:40 PM
The only bun I can pull off is the lazy wrap bun and sometimes that doesn't even work! I've only just started experimenting with updo's though, so maybe I have an excuse :p I have tried a few other buns but it just never works. For me the worst is the cinnamon bun. It either falls out straight away, it pulls or it turns out so wonky I can barely recognise it as a cinnabun! :doh:

Ginkgo
February 12th, 2014, 08:47 AM

:oops:

If I wouldn't know, what I wanted to explain, I wouldn't understand my own text. I hate the autocorrection of my tablet! I think, I need to install something for English...

So, next try:
I've also got a bun which becomes too tight every time, tetisheri. The Pha Bun. It makes me totally crazy. I try again, and again, and again. And evertime I feel like being scalped!

Scarlet_Heart
February 12th, 2014, 09:24 AM
You're doing great Ginkgo! It's tough trying to use a website that isn't in your native language. :flower:

I feel the same way about the pha bun. Always too tight for me. And for what it's worth, I think "too tiger" is a great way to describe a bun that's so tight it causes discomfort/pulling. I think I want that to catch on! Rawr.

tigereye
February 12th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Lazy wrap. It used to only ever hold with my large ficcare. Now not even that can hold it, and it pulls, so meh. Cinnabuns rarely stay these days unless I do a modified version with a ficcare. It may work again if I can get my hands on a 3-4 prong fork since, again, it's the pulling issue with sticks and my smaller fork that causes issues.

On the upside, with my thickness, it seems I'm finally getting to lengths that work. I'm finding new styles all the time.

Hypnotica
February 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Lazy wrap. It used to only ever hold with my large ficcare. Now not even that can hold it, and it pulls, so meh. Cinnabuns rarely stay these days unless I do a modified version with a ficcare. It may work again if I can get my hands on a 3-4 prong fork since, again, it's the pulling issue with sticks and my smaller fork that causes issues.

On the upside, with my thickness, it seems I'm finally getting to lengths that work. I'm finding new styles all the time.

You may want to try the brioche bun - I have pulling issues with sticks like mad but that bun even worked with Quattro's for me without any pulling at all.

bunzfan
February 12th, 2014, 10:25 AM
You may want to try the brioche bun - I have pulling issues with sticks like mad but that bun even worked with Quattro's for me without any pulling at all.

I must look that one up..

RapunzelKat
February 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Could you recommend us a tutorial? :flower: I saw a couple online, but I wasn't quite getting it...

tetisheri72
February 12th, 2014, 11:31 AM
:oops:

If I wouldn't know, what I wanted to explain, I wouldn't understand my own text. I hate the autocorrection of my tablet! I think, I need to install something for English...

So, next try:
I've also got a bun which becomes too tight every time, tetisheri. The Pha Bun. It makes me totally crazy. I try again, and again, and again. And evertime I feel like being scalped!

I like the way the Pha looks, but it just doesn't work quite right, at least not yet. Like Scarlet_Heart, I think calling tight buns tiger is perfect.

bunzfan
February 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Could you recommend us a tutorial? :flower: I saw a couple online, but I wasn't quite getting it...

I found two but had to watch a few times to get it I can just about do it it's so comfy used a ficcare.

tigereye
February 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM

Which bun is that? I'll have to look it up.
It's not an issue with all buns - celtic knot and the likes are rock solid and don't pull at all, just lazy-wraps, cinnabuns and similar styles I learned to do with a couple of feet less hair than I do now. I think I'm just out-growing them.

Ginkgo
February 12th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks Scarlet ;) Yes, it costs quite an effort to write here...

And now there is a picture of a big tiger paw on ones forehead, pulling the hair back. Very, very uncomfortable! And so suitable for the feeling, a pha bun causes!:taz:

alexis917
February 12th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I don't have any hair toys, so a lot of buns are out of my reach...

Marbid
February 12th, 2014, 03:42 PM
The french tuck.... Or lazy wrap.. Cant seem to anchor it... Cant seem to get all my length in a french tuck. It just looks weird... If i cant do it now... I will never get my hands in it when my hair gets longer.

kganihanova
February 12th, 2014, 05:39 PM
all of them but the cinnabun. thick hair stinks sometimes.

excentricat
February 12th, 2014, 06:26 PM
For those with too tight Pha buns, as soon as it starts to go too tight, start to pull your fork back out (just un-flip, dont make yourself start over), wiggle and pull it a little to get a bigger loop for it, then try again. My Pha buns usually require 2-3 fork insertions, but once I get it it is perfect all day.

Ambystoma
February 12th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty bun challenged in general, but the very worst for me are those figure 8/infinity type styles - they always turns out as the ever popular "odd collection of asymmetrical loops bun". I'll keep trying the Pha bun since it looks so pretty and I bought a fork specifically for it, but every time I've tried it so far it falls out within 30 seconds, even when it's felt pretty tight going in, as soon as I turn and walk away from the mirror I hear the clatter of a wooden fork hitting the tiled floor :laugh:

I used to be the French Pleat master and wore it almost every day but somewhere around APL/BSL it became impossible due to surplus length and try as I might I've only ever gotten a log roll to not be a weird lumpy disaster once - it was on hip length hair (33") that needed a wash, it held well with just one stick and I have photographic evidence to prove I didn't just dream it! I wish I knew what on earth I did right:justy:.

kme81
February 12th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Most buns! :D This is one of the main reasons for why I'm a braider. I do bun my braids tough.

I usually stick with cinnabuns and knotbuns, and I secure them with claw clips. I think that claw clips help to distribute the weight on my head more evenly.

I also like my hair to lay flat to my head, and that preference os mot always bun-friendly! ;D

tetisheri72
February 13th, 2014, 02:39 AM
For those with too tight Pha buns, as soon as it starts to go too tight, start to pull your fork back out (just un-flip, dont make yourself start over), wiggle and pull it a little to get a bigger loop for it, then try again. My Pha buns usually require 2-3 fork insertions, but once I get it it is perfect all day.

I'll try that next time.