PDA

View Full Version : To blow dry or not to blow dry

Kate199023
February 10th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I've got a really bad sinus infection and its stupid cold outside. I know blow drying your hair is bad but I'm sick and its cold . I also just bought a heat protection spray. I'm wondering if its ok to use my blow dryer every once in a while. I use it a bit on my hair the other day but not for very long.

hairpleasegrow
February 10th, 2014, 07:26 PM
That sucks, i hope you feel better. either wash the night before and let dry, or dont wash at all, third option use the blowdryer on a low setting. it would suck to waste a good blow out when you're sick i reserve those for special occassions. get better soon :)

Nedertane
February 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Truthfully, I've gotten back into the blow drying habit since it's been so cold, but I mean, how could you not? If you stick to a cool, or even just a warm setting (as opposed to actually HOT), you should be fine, especially if you use a spray with those settings.

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2014, 03:31 AM
That sucks, i hope you feel better. either wash the night before and let dry, or dont wash at all, third option use the blowdryer on a low setting. it would suck to waste a good blow out when you're sick i reserve those for special occassions. get better soon :)

I blow dry in the winter if I'm sick I don't have special occasions. I guess that would count as a special occasion. I do hope you're feeling better. I've bad the sinus or cold not sure which.

ravenreed
February 11th, 2014, 04:29 AM
I don't find that the occasional blow drying session is doing me any harm, but YMMV. However, your hair is not more important than your health. I vote blow dry at least part way and save yourself getting sicker.

Kherome
February 11th, 2014, 06:56 AM
I don't blow dry unless I'm sick and have to go out, so I say do it. So, other than when I use it to dry one of my dogs post bath, my poor blow dryer sees use MAYBE once per year.

Caldonia Sun
February 11th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I blow dry on low during the cold winter months. I don't think it's really harmful, but being sick is, and that's what I'd be if I tried air-drying. I can never go to bed with wet hair, even in summer, or I wake up with a sore throat and congestion.

spidermom
February 11th, 2014, 07:15 AM
I went for years without blow-drying at all, and it didn't do me one bit of good; I still got thousands of split ends. So now I blow-dry whenever I want to. I never use the hottest setting, and it doesn't seem to be harming my hair more than air-drying did.

Soltimus
February 11th, 2014, 07:26 AM
If you're ill I say just do it. You can always stop again when you feel better if that's what you want to do. I think if you don't use the seriously hot settings on a blow dryer but just stick to the cold air or just a bit warmer then you might be just fine. Whatever you choose I don't believe a few times using a blow dryer even on a very hot setting is going to ruin everything but then again I'm no expert.

Carolyn
February 11th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Just go ahead and blow dry if you want to. Use a heat protectant product and let your hair air dry as much as possible first. I love how my hair looks when it's been blow dried so I do it when I want to. My go to style for damp hair on a cold day is some kind of a bun, usually a cinnamon but with a slouchy knit hat over it. I can usually get away with that. So yes blow dry your hair on cold days. You could blow dry the hair closest to your scalp and then braid or bun the length while it's still damp.

catasa
February 11th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Sorry that you are ill... I say as most others have done, go ahead and blow dry! I usually blow dry after every wash (on the cool/warm setting only though, not hot), and it hasnīt harmed my hair at all as far as I can see. And it is so much easier in the cold season!

Hope you get better soon! :flower:

lapushka
February 11th, 2014, 09:02 AM
There is absolutely *nothing* wrong with blowdrying, provided you do it correctly. If you can hold your hand in the airstream constantly without it starting to feel like it's burning, then you're fine! This is the way my blowdryer is used (diffuser) and without heat protection spray, I have no damage from it - at all. No splits, no white dots. This has been my routine for *years*.

Kate199023
February 18th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm still sick but do think I'm getting better

MaryO
February 18th, 2014, 02:59 AM
I also blow-dried a couple for times during the winter and have to say that I haven't seen any negative results from it (summer here by us now so I thought it might show up later but it hasn't.)

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Also be sure that you're not pulling hard with a round brush like they do at the salon. I think that would tear hair up over time. I use a wide-tooth comb to control my hair during the early part of blow-drying, then switch to a paddle brush after all tangles are gone and hair is merely damp.