PDA

View Full Version : Hair not growing any longer. :(

optimisticStar
February 10th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hello Everybody,

Sorry if I am posting this in an incorrect forum. Its my first day here today and my first post for hair queries. I am 28years old and have trimmed my hair just 4 times till now and after every trim I noticed it getting worst i.e. thin, fine and lots of split ends. Last hair cut I had was in May 2012 and prior to that my 3rd haircut was around August 2010.

My height is 5'3" and before my 3rd haircut my hair length was till beyond my hips almost reaching the knees. This was the time when I was at home in my home country and eating lots of healthy food daily. Moved to US after 3rd haircut and then my diet changed heavily. My hair started getting thinner and I started shedding a lot. However even after my 4th haircut which was till shoulders, my hair grew from shoulders till my waist within 1 year. Now since last 10 months, my hair is of the same length and not growing any further. However after my 4th haircut, I immediately noticed split ends in almost each and every hair.

My hair presently is thin, fine, waist length and shiny black. I have started using hair pack since last couple of weeks and wash my hair with soapnuts. I tie my hair into bun everyday, oil and wash it twice a week. I still have some split ends in my hair could that be the reason its not growing further? However if I try to cut it more, I am scared of getting more split ends.

I am here to take suggestions to grow the length, thickness if possible and also some diet changes (vegetarian diet) which could help my hair.

Madora
February 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Split ends can be due to either mechanical damage or your hair not getting enough moisture. You might want to try catnip treatments for the split end problem. Regular S and Ding (Search and Destroy) on your split ends can help keep them under control. Just be sure you use sharp scissors.

By all means, try and eat a sensible diet as your hair will benefit from good food.

You might want to consider daily gentle scalp massage (with your fingerpads) to help with circulation to your hair follicles. Be sure to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before and after your massage.

You mention that you tie your hair into a bun everyday. Hopefully, you are not using the ponytail method to do this. Ponytails are very bad for your hair, in more than one way.

You did not mention if you use a comb or a brush. Do you detangle with a comb before you brush?

If the splits are just too numerous, then it would be more worthwhile to remove them now, so that they do not split further.

GoddesJourney
February 10th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Hmmm...tell us more about what your diet was and what it is now. Do you now live in a colder or dryer climate than what you're used to? It's possible that it is stress related since moving to another country can be a lot of work and feel uncomfortable as you are learning a new culture.

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I still have some split ends in my hair could that be the reason its not growing further? However if I try to cut it more, I am scared of getting more split ends.
Cutting hair itself doesn't cause split ends. Unless you are using razor or awful scissors. Get blunt cuts,as wispy layered ends tangle more which causes mechanical damage creating split ends. Some split ends are okay you can do the S&D (You just pick strands, look for splits and only cut them). But if almost all your ends are in splits then you should cut them, they will keep tangling with other hairs(including healthy ones), create more splits and will break off, making it difficult to retain length.

I am here to take suggestions to grow the length, thickness if possible and also some diet changes (vegetarian diet) which could help my hair.

You are currently vegetarian? Have you always been a vegetarian or is it a new change? Google "common deficiencies in vegetarian diet" and see if you are missing something. Eat more protein. Google "Khitchari" made with mung beans and rice, i was reading that together they provide all 20 amino acids.

Use coconut oil. It strengthens the hair.

If you are still shedding check your health and scalp. Or if the change in the water might be the cause.

You seem stressed. Start pulling out some time and relax in it. If you believe in some religion do their prayer or something. If you like the new age stuff, do meditation. Meditation done properly would be great for you.

Panth
February 11th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Have you had your hair to waist or longer before? If not, or if you did but with a different routine or way of wearing your hair, then it is possible that your hair can't grow longer than waist without a more protective routine. Principally, this may mean protective updos much or all of the time. E.g. in my case, once my hair reaches tailbone length, if worn loose 24/7 it wears itself away as fast as it grows in. However, if I wear protective updos daily then my hair can grow to at least knee length (and still going).

Of course, this may be occurring in addition to other problems, e.g. diet, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, stress (physical or mental), damaging hair routines (washing routine, way of wearing and styling), dye, bleach, etc.

Teufelchen
February 11th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Since you mentioned the change in diet, try as a first step changing back to your original diet. I know this might be difficult if you have to cook for yourself and in a foreign country, I went through this as well, but nutrition is essential for growing healthy, long hair.

Additionally to at least keep your current length, try to handle it as gentle as possible. Panth stated a few very good methods.

Chiquita Banana
February 11th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I want to say that I'm really sorry you're struggling with splits so badly. :flower: That is no fun at all and I'd be afraid to do any cutting as well for fear of making it worse! With that being said though, I'd look at your scissors. Make sure they are shears that are specifically made for cutting hair because other types of scissors can really damage your hair. If you use hair shears to trim or to search and destroy individual splits, your hair shouldn't split. Then as others mentioned, I'd look at adding more protein to your diet. Lots and lots of protein. And then oiling with coconut oil for extra protection. And I also agree that how you wear your hair up makes a difference - ie with a hair stick or hair fork vs. elastics and even bobby pins.

Good luck and please keep us updated! Oh - and welcome to the board. I'm pretty new here, too.

optimisticStar
February 11th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys for replying!! Posting some more details about me and my style:

Comb/Brush - I have always combed my hair. Brush never suits my hair maybe since I have thin and not very smooth hair. So it kind of starts breaking. Since last 3-4 years I use wide-toothed comb, before that I was using narrow-toothed comb.

Weather - I have spent most of my life in a warm and humid place before moving to US. At that time my hair was quite long beyond waist and even though it was thin, I had lots. After moving to US, I spent 2 years in NY which is very cold and little humid and now I am in mid-west which is very cold during winters and very hot during summer and always dry.

Cutting hair - I have never cut my hair on my own. All 4 times somebody else had helped my cut it so I am not sure what kind of scissors they used. But after my last cut which was in a parlor in NY, I noticed split ends in almost each and every hair.

Diet - I am vegetarian since birth. Until high school I had a clean diet which included all home made food mostly containing veggies and whole wheat chapati/roti (Indian bread) and rice once a week, milk and yogurt. As and when I started turning towards college, I got on to fast food most of the days a week. After coming to US and since I had to cook for myself, I got addicted to fast food more out of laziness. I am slowly trying to get back to my old diet.

Hair style - Until high school I had a regular hair style of 2 braids tied up with oil in it something like this - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eEdJUm68NWs/TFDWBuPLtII/AAAAAAAABpQ/c8_dIty3JV4/s1600/teenage+plait2+small.jpg :). May be thats the reason I had very good hair since I wasn't playing much around with it. Later on with college I started leaving my hair down, hardly used to put oil. I have never used any dyes or colors in my hair. I used hair dryer for 1 year and later realized that it was causing harm to my hair so I stopped it. I towel dry my hair. These days I have started putting oil in my hair and leave it on for 2-3 days. I wash my hair twice a week. Since last 9-10 months, I have started tying my hair up daily maybe into a bun or some kind of roll with a pin on it. However I moving towards keeping my hair in a simple bun (not a ponytail bun) regularly.

Stress - Yes my life after high school have always been stressful because of lots of studies, responsibilities and other tensions of life. Because of stress I even gained lots of weight (about 40 lbs overweight) and working out since last couple of months. I would like to include meditation in my daily life and tried it 3-4 times, but I couldn't get the flowing thoughts to stop.

I am trying to make a lifestyle change slowly and hope that my hair gets better with it. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share as much info as I can and get your all suggestions to improve. :)

GoddesJourney
February 11th, 2014, 10:05 PM
There is a thread about protecting your hair in winter weather. Maybe that will help you with damage. Otherwise, it sounds like stress and life has gotten you down and you've strayed from what your body likes. Try to get yourself back into the food you know works for you and a little exercise, which it sounds like you're already working on. This will help you manage your stress anyway. I know even one or two bad meals affects my attitude and makes me slow and unhappy. A little exercise and a clean meal makes me feel good. As you return to your former health, your hair should grow in better again. Finding a way to keep your hair moisturized and protected will be a separate issue.

Welcome to the boards. Anyone here has had troubles with their hair at some point and we help eachother through it and even through personal issues. We love our hair and we want you to love your hair too. :)

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the details, you are already on the right path, improving your lifestyle and better hair care. It will take time for the results to show so don't worry. Are you Indian? I am assuming since you said you are vegetarian and the roti thing. I am from a roti-eating culture too :D.

Things that i would recommend:
Use coconut oil on the length it will strength them and make them less prone to breakage.

Try sesame oil. It is said to be soothing to the mind and has hot, heavy qualities.

Don't try to fight the thoughts when meditating. The key is to be detached from the thoughts and not try controlling them. I don't know if detached is the right word but what i mean is don't let them cause anxiety or worry. Be accepting. Worry only to find solutions and when you cant control something let it go and run its course. We live in a time where we believe we can and should be able to control everything. I don't think it is true. All we can control is how we act or react to things. And even that isn't in our full control.

If still too many thoughts keep running in your head use this technique. Focus on your breathing, noticing how when you inhale the air pass through your nose and throat. Deep inhale touch the back of your throat. Notice the raise of your chest and belly. Notice how when you exhale your belly, chest flatten. Study your breathing like you study a painting. If you need more support count the breaths, silently say the numbers and and as you say it visualize the number being written behind your closed eyes. If you are believe in some religion then repeat the prayers, mantras etc silently, coordinating them with your breathing. If not just say reaffirming positive things on repeat.

You will still get stressed and your first instinct maybe to worry. But immediately check your self. Like when sometimes you want to kill someone but you hold back because of the consequences :D.

Next time you have your hair cut make sure no one use razor on your hair, and the scissors they use are sharp.

spidermom
February 12th, 2014, 06:37 AM
My hair is in best condition when I get regular trims. Every 3 months was a good schedule. I'd get about 1/2 inch trimmed off. The stylist needs to have sharp scissors, though. Dull scissors will crush the ends of the hair and cause splits.

optimisticStar
February 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Thank you GoddessJourney!! Will keep working on getting better with food and my hair care schedule. :)

There is a thread about protecting your hair in winter weather. Maybe that will help you with damage. Otherwise, it sounds like stress and life has gotten you down and you've strayed from what your body likes. Try to get yourself back into the food you know works for you and a little exercise, which it sounds like you're already working on. This will help you manage your stress anyway. I know even one or two bad meals affects my attitude and makes me slow and unhappy. A little exercise and a clean meal makes me feel good. As you return to your former health, your hair should grow in better again. Finding a way to keep your hair moisturized and protected will be a separate issue.

Welcome to the boards. Anyone here has had troubles with their hair at some point and we help eachother through it and even through personal issues. We love our hair and we want you to love your hair too. :)

optimisticStar
February 19th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks Vera!! Yes I am Indian. I tried sesame oil for about 5 years when I was at home. It did make my hair longer but I know it cool for the head and body. As I now reside in a very colder region, I prefer coconut oil.

I was watching some youtube videos where they say coconut milk/cream provides good results when applied before washing. Am going to try that today.

Also thanks for posting stuff for meditation and stress. Will try to work on my meditation thingy to make it better. :)

Thanks for the details, you are already on the right path, improving your lifestyle and better hair care. It will take time for the results to show so don't worry. Are you Indian? I am assuming since you said you are vegetarian and the roti thing. I am from a roti-eating culture too :D.

Things that i would recommend:
Use coconut oil on the length it will strength them and make them less prone to breakage.

Try sesame oil. It is said to be soothing to the mind and has hot, heavy qualities.

Don't try to fight the thoughts when meditating. The key is to be detached from the thoughts and not try controlling them. I don't know if detached is the right word but what i mean is don't let them cause anxiety or worry. Be accepting. Worry only to find solutions and when you cant control something let it go and run its course. We live in a time where we believe we can and should be able to control everything. I don't think it is true. All we can control is how we act or react to things. And even that isn't in our full control.

If still too many thoughts keep running in your head use this technique. Focus on your breathing, noticing how when you inhale the air pass through your nose and throat. Deep inhale touch the back of your throat. Notice the raise of your chest and belly. Notice how when you exhale your belly, chest flatten. Study your breathing like you study a painting. If you need more support count the breaths, silently say the numbers and and as you say it visualize the number being written behind your closed eyes. If you are believe in some religion then repeat the prayers, mantras etc silently, coordinating them with your breathing. If not just say reaffirming positive things on repeat.

You will still get stressed and your first instinct maybe to worry. But immediately check your self. Like when sometimes you want to kill someone but you hold back because of the consequences :D.

Next time you have your hair cut make sure no one use razor on your hair, and the scissors they use are sharp.

optimisticStar
February 19th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting spidermom!!

I would like to have my hair trimmed every 3-4 months and that too about 1/2-1 inch. But whenever I went to that stylist I asked them to cut about 1 inch and they trimmed until half the length. Thats the reason I avoid going to stylist.

I tried trimming 2 times myself, but wasn't a leveled trim. May be I should learn trimming my own hair properly.

My hair is in best condition when I get regular trims. Every 3 months was a good schedule. I'd get about 1/2 inch trimmed off. The stylist needs to have sharp scissors, though. Dull scissors will crush the ends of the hair and cause splits.

Crumpet
February 19th, 2014, 05:48 PM
It sounds like your diet pre-USA was excellent. I am also a vegetarian and Indian vegetarian food (especially homemade) is very healthy. Do you cook? something that might help your stress and your health would be to cook your own meals. I find that cooking really helps to calm me down when I am feeling anxious or having problems transitioning back to normal after work. You could get some recipes from your family and also try some new things. Hair relies fundamentally on what you put into your body since all of the hair you see is actually dead and there is a limit to what you can do to improve it. Getting your diet and stress in check will probably help.

Good luck!!

optimisticStar
February 20th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Yes I cook and prefer eating homemade food most of the time. I agree that cooking and concentrating on something else other then a daily routine helps to calm down. I try to massage my scalp every other day since last 2 weeks and I did see little difference in my stress level because of that as well.

Good luck to you as well!! :)

It sounds like your diet pre-USA was excellent. I am also a vegetarian and Indian vegetarian food (especially homemade) is very healthy. Do you cook? something that might help your stress and your health would be to cook your own meals. I find that cooking really helps to calm me down when I am feeling anxious or having problems transitioning back to normal after work. You could get some recipes from your family and also try some new things. Hair relies fundamentally on what you put into your body since all of the hair you see is actually dead and there is a limit to what you can do to improve it. Getting your diet and stress in check will probably help.

Good luck!!