PDA

View Full Version : Getting chlorine out without sulfates?

G1ll
February 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone,
since joining this forum, I have decided that I want to cut out sulfates from my hair routine. However, I swim a lot and I find that sulfates really get the chlorine out of my hair. I wanted to know if anyone here knows of a different, less harsh way to get chlorine out of hair. Thanks!

In2wishin
February 10th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone,
since joining this forum, I have decided that I want to cut out sulfates from my hair routine. However, I swim a lot and I find that sulfates really get the chlorine out of my hair. I wanted to know if anyone here knows of a different, less harsh way to get chlorine out of hair. Thanks!

I use the dechlorination stuff for fish tanks. I mix a rinse with a higher concentration than what you would use for aquarium water and rinse with that first before washing my hair.

ErinLeigh
February 10th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I use Itely chelating treatment shampoo
Sulfate and silicone free. Bottle says removes chlorine.
It is not real drying either. I am very happy with it.
Ordered on amazon.

WilfredAllen
February 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I've *heard* club soda works, but ive never tried. maybe worth a quick search?

sweet&sourkiwi
February 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Anything with Disodium EDTA will take some chlorine out. I have to chelate chlorine out of our tap water here (ahh!)...it's probably not pool-strong, but it's strong. I use L'anza Pure chelating & clarifying shampoo on a bi-monthly basis...it is sulfate free. It was expensive at Ulta and about half that much on Amazon...wish I had checked first!

sweet&sourkiwi
February 10th, 2014, 08:29 PM
One more thought! Have you tried soaking your hair in distilled (or at least unchlorinated) water before hopping in the pool? I've heard it keeps hair from grabbing more chlorine...the idea being that it's already saturated...

ErinLeigh
February 11th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Anything with Disodium EDTA will take some chlorine out. I have to chelate chlorine out of our tap water here (ahh!)...it's probably not pool-strong, but it's strong. I use L'anza Pure chelating & clarifying shampoo on a bi-monthly basis...it is sulfate free. It was expensive at Ulta and about half that much on Amazon...wish I had checked first!

I am going to try that one. :)

renia22
February 11th, 2014, 06:40 AM
There's a brand called "Malibu" that makes various sulfate free shampoos for well water, swimmers, etc. I personally don't like sulfate free and wasn't crazy about the one I tried, but those who like sulfate free might like them. They sell them at drugstore.com, and a few other websites.

Firefox7275
February 11th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Where in the world are you? ION Swimmers Shampoo or Malibu sachets in the US. Prewet hair and wear a swim cap.

Not anything with EDTA: needs to be the correct concentration for chelating, it has other functions in formulation.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Where in the world are you? ION Swimmers Shampoo or Malibu sachets in the US. Prewet hair and wear a swim cap.

Not anything with EDTA: needs to be the correct concentration for chelating, it has other functions in formulation.

Oh that explains some misses! How do you know it's the correct concentration...or can you? Sorry for the misinformation OP!