PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair caught in jewellery

Kiminath
February 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment. My hair always snags in my engagement ring. I obviously don't want to take it off, but how do I stop it damaging my hair?
Ive had similar problems with necklaces that snag on my baby hairs at the back of my neck when i wear them and it has stopped me wearing them asoften. Advice please?

Venefica
February 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
When my hair get snagged on jewelry I just gently untangle he hair from the jewelry and usually it is fine so I still wear such jewelery anyway, for me it is nail polish my hair always snags on. I recommend you just being careful when handling your hair so that when it snags on your ring you do not snap the hair or pull it out, just can just then loosen it from your ring and all will be well. If you are still worried you can take a strip of cellophane, you know the plastic you wrap sandwiches in and wrap it around your ring when putting your hair up or messing with it, or you can just take your ring off when dealing with your hair and then slip it back on when you are done.

kaydana
February 10th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Stop touching your hair. Take the ring off or cover it with something (a pair of thin cotton gloves might work, but your best bet would be cutting up a pair of latex gloves to give you a band to put over the ring) while you style your hair, then leave it alone the rest of the time.

Kimberly
February 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I don't know if I would do it with a diamond ring, but I have had some luck rubbing candle wax on the snaggy bit of a necklace, filling in the rough part.

schnibbles
February 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM
This is pretty much why I don't wear necklaces any more, ever. I got so sick of untangling everything all the time. I pretty much only wear my wedding set when I leave the house, when I'm home, I take it off. I found when I'm trying to do a bun, the rings definitely have to come off.

sarahthegemini
February 10th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Just take it off when styling your hair and then avoid touching your hair afterwards ...

chen bao jun
February 10th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Yes, I have marquise cut stone which is heck on my hair, I never fix hair with jewelry on.

Kherome
February 10th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Yep I slip mine off to fix my hair, then I don't futz with my hair anymore the rest of the day.

Kiminath
February 10th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
I try not to touch my hair in the day but it usually happens if I scratch my head, which is usually a fairly unconscious gesture. I will have to just bite the bullet and take it off while I style my hair. I'll have to try and catch myself if I suddenly have an itch on my scalp.
Great advice regarding the wax on the necklaces as well, I'll definitely be trying that.

sumidha
February 10th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Hmm, this is definitely something I'll be keeping in mind if I ever get a wedding/engagement ring!

Scarlet_Heart
February 10th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Yep I slip mine off to fix my hair, then I don't futz with my hair anymore the rest of the day.

This is what I do too. Take it off to braid/bun then leave it alone. I take it you wear your hair down a lot of the time, OP?

Kiminath
February 10th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Not really anymore but I get a lot of flyaways. My hair does not like being contained, it wants to stay wild and freeeeeeee! Lol.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Mine gets caught on my ear rings and necklaces. When I use to wear my rings it would get caught in my ring stone. I learned to take it off and detangle gently.

Kiminath
February 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Mine gets caught on my ear rings and necklaces. When I use to wear my rings it would get caught in my ring stone. I learned to take it off and detangle gently.

Yeah that's what I'm going to have to start doing. I didn't really think about it before lhc, I was oblivious to the damage I was doing. I would just rip it out and think nothing of it. :doh:

melusine963
February 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Hmm, this is definitely something I'll be keeping in mind if I ever get a wedding/engagement ring!

After having trouble styling my hair while wearing my engagement ring, I made sure to get a wedding ring that is absolutely plain. :)

swearnsue
February 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Take your ring to your jeweler, he may need to (I forgot the term for it) but they tighten the little things that hold the stone in place. It's something you should do anyway from time to time and they may even clean it for you for no charge.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Yeah that's what I'm going to have to start doing. I didn't really think about it before lhc, I was oblivious to the damage I was doing. I would just rip it out and think nothing of it. :doh:

I used to do that too in my pre lhc days jerk my ring out of my hair and go on. I know I'd broken hairs and done damage but now ive learned now it's wrong causes damage.

LadyLongLocks
February 11th, 2014, 08:17 AM
I hardly wear necklaces because it really gets caught in my hair. I have tons of short nape hair because of this.
Ring: Some buns give me trouble, like my pretzel bun because you wrap the hair around the hand and it catches on the diamond ring. Sometimes I flip the ring around and that helps. Other times I just remove the ring. When I wash my hair I always take off my ring or it flips and snags.

hairpleasegrow
February 11th, 2014, 08:40 AM
No way around it really, you probably wont like this suggestion but maybe get a simple thin faux gold band that you can wear instead of your current ring? If I get married again my ring will be a simple gold band for this reason.

velorutionista
February 11th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Take your ring to your jeweler, he may need to (I forgot the term for it) but they tighten the little things that hold the stone in place. It's something you should do anyway from time to time and they may even clean it for you for no charge.

^^ This. Have a jeweler tighten the prongs on the crown and it should stop snagging.

ETA: on the necklace thing, if it's a pendant you can swap out the chain for something less snaggy (box chains are great and rarely catch my hair, snake chains are the devil and snatch me bald!). Try a few different types of chain and see what's comfy, then try to wear those (even if you just replace the chain that's around the clasp to avoid snagging hairs).

cathair
February 11th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I never take my rings off, with the exception of making pastry. If I need to wrap my hair round my hand to make a bun, then I turn the ring backwards so the stones are on the palm side of my hand.

QMacrocarpa
February 11th, 2014, 03:38 PM
After having trouble styling my hair while wearing my engagement ring, I made sure to get a wedding ring that is absolutely plain. :)
This thread is making me appreciate my snag-free plain band even more than usual! :-) I still have occasional ring issues though, as my hands swell enough in hot weather to make my ring uncomfortably tight. For the moment, the work-around is to wear the band that belonged to DH's mother, which is slightly looser, in the summer. Getting a band tattooed on seems appealing at times though! As an aside, the first time DH and I visited my parents after our wedding, he made an expansive gesture and his ring flew off and disappeared down one of the air return vents for the forced-air heat (luckily it wasn't heating season). He did find it again in the depths of the furnace, but this may explain why he usually "wears" it on his keyring...