PDA

View Full Version : Easy Hairstyles Without Using Elastics, Sticks & Forks

milque
February 10th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Hello!

Ever since I found the LHC I have putting up my hair in a bun everyday when I am out. The simple wrap bun secured with hairpins is the only bun I know how to do (my hairstyling skills are limited to say the least), so I switch up the position of the bun regularly to lessen the strain on my scalp. I feel like I should try and learn new easy hairstyles to have a bit of variety. Also, I'm worried doing my hair in a bun all the time will be strenuous on my scalp in the long run, and cause more shedding etc.

So my question is, what EASY hairstyles can you recommend that does NOT use hair elastics (except for the cases of braids of course), sticks and forks? I seem to have gotten the hang of using hairpins so I'm comfortable with those. A lot of the hairstyle videos on YouTube use hair elastics so that's out.

I should also note that I have ridiculously poor hand control coordination when they are at the back of my head when I can't really see them. I feel silly saying this, but doing my own hair is so hard for me. It took me ages to learn the simple English braid on the back of my head :doh:. So it's very important that the hairstyles are EASY.

Thanks in advance!

kme81
February 10th, 2014, 06:12 AM
My favorite way to secure my hair is with claw-clips. The most simple hairstyle I can think of is a regular old cinnabun (no braiding required!) secured around the edges with 2 or 3 small to medium size claw clips. This bun is super easy and it can be placed anywhere on your head---high, low, side, middle, other side, lower side...you get the picture. :) They replace countless pins and I'm sure that they would securely hold the wrap buns that you like.

Some people find that claw clips pull strangely on their scalp, but often it is just a lack of experimentation. Give them a second chance! :D I used to hate claw clips, but one day I decided to try them again. It didn't take me long to figure out how to wear them comfortable, and now I endeavor to be a claw clip enabler! ;D

Rio040113
February 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM
No forks, sticks or elastics? The Nautilus bun. You might not even need the pins :lol: There are plenty of great tutorials for it on Youtube (as well as a load of other buns!).

missfaroe
February 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I really like this hairstyle:o
But I can't do it with my hair; my hair seems to be too thick :(

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N08Ikn5lcyA

RapunzelKat
February 10th, 2014, 08:35 AM
The nautilus bun and cinnamon bun can both be done with spin pins, and can be done braided or not braided. :) a braided cinnamon bun done as a side bun is a good way to vary your style and you wouldn't have to learn any new skills :D

You may also be able to do a Gibraltar bun with pins, but mine tend to come out funny looking :p

missfaroe
February 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Also this style is very pretty and seems so easy to make:o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3E7LAXxOlE

~Abi~
February 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
My hair is still too short to do anything with the sticks and forks (shoulder length), so I use the hair claws (claw-clips or jaw clips...the whatchamacallems). Currently, my hair is up in a twist held with a large claw. Sometimes I'll do a simple twisted bun (who knows the proper term for that one?) and secure the side with the loose ends of hair with the claw. It would be good for me to get some smaller ones so I can clip several around a bun, but right now I just have a large one.

milque
February 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM

I like that neat trick, but like yours my hair is too thick to make it stay like that. :/

milque
February 10th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks to those who mentioned the nautilus bun, I think with a little bit of practice I can do it. I think it's a good style for days where there isn't a lot of moving around coz it does unravel after awhile.. Doesn't strain the scalp too which is a bonus.

Also this style is very pretty and seems so easy to make:o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3E7LAXxOlE

I love this one! Going to try that now. Thanks a lot!

furnival
February 10th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I should also note that I have ridiculously poor hand control coordination when they are at the back of my head when I can't really see them. I feel silly saying this, but doing my own hair is so hard for me. It took me ages to learn the simple English braid on the back of my head :doh:. So it's very important that the hairstyles are EASY.
Don't feel silly! You can't expect yourself to be good at updos without a lot of practice- it's a skill, and skills must be learned. You wouldn't expect to be able to play an instrument immediately after picking it up, and this is no different. Everybody finds it hard to do braids and buns etc at first. Don't be disheartened! It's probably not that you've got ridiculously poor coordination, it's simply that you haven't learned the skill.

I wouldn't worry about buns causing shedding: many of us here wear buns every single day without issues. Shedding only becomes a problem if you bun too tightly and hairs are pulled, causing traction alopecia. If your hair isn't pulled really tight then it's not going to cause shedding.

If you can do a braid, have you tried a braided bun? It's my current go-to style, held with spin pins, and it's really easy- just braid, wind it around itself and pin.

Kiminath
February 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM

I love this! It held after my 4th try and feels pretty secure. Does it have a name?

ashke50
February 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I second what furnival says about it being a skill to do hair in buns and braids, and that it gets easier with practice. I struggled with some buns when I started - especially the seashell bun, and I still haven't got the hang of French plaits!

I find spin pins very easy to use, for buns that involve some twisting.

excentricat
February 10th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Another thing to try that won't change the look much, but will be a change for your hairs is to twist the other way when you put it up.

milque
February 10th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Don't feel silly! You can't expect yourself to be good at updos without a lot of practice- it's a skill, and skills must be learned. You wouldn't expect to be able to play an instrument immediately after picking it up, and this is no different. Everybody finds it hard to do braids and buns etc at first. Don't be disheartened! It's probably not that you've got ridiculously poor coordination, it's simply that you haven't learned the skill.

I wouldn't worry about buns causing shedding: many of us here wear buns every single day without issues. Shedding only becomes a problem if you bun too tightly and hairs are pulled, causing traction alopecia. If your hair isn't pulled really tight then it's not going to cause shedding.

If you can do a braid, have you tried a braided bun? It's my current go-to style, held with spin pins, and it's really easy- just braid, wind it around itself and pin.

Thank you for your encouragement! You are so right, it does take lots of practice and I know it's not impossible because I managed to learn how to do a back-head braid (sounds easy to most, but to me it's a big feat!). I dream of doing some of the beautiful hairstyles here but I think I should start with easier ones. Hence the request.

Another thing to try that won't change the look much, but will be a change for your hairs is to twist the other way when you put it up.

I have never thought of that. I think it's a good idea!

Thank you all with your advice! :D I tried the headband hairstyle as posted earlier and I really like the look! Don't know if it will stay throughout the day though. Might need to use bobby pins.

Scarlet_Heart
February 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
My favorite is a french braid bun. Do a french braid and then coil the bottom into a bun. You can definitely secure that with pins if you wanted to.

If your hair isn't long enough to make a bun after french braiding, you can just tuck the tail in at the bottom and pin it that way. Or you could just do a regular english braid and bun that.