PDA

View Full Version : Sudden dandruff

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I have sudden dandruff. I haven't changed any products. I did go back to weekly washing but I used my vo5 split end set as I did before. I rinsed out all products s&c I made sure. I sprayed shine on my length and a hint of home made detangler. I damp braided and took out my braid today a day later and had a ton of dandruff. I'm confused my head doesn't itch and isn't sore.

Nadine <3
February 9th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Cold, dry winter air? I know everything on me is dry and flakey

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Cold, dry winter air? I know everything on me is dry and flakey

I know my skin is. That makes sense our scalp is skin.

MeowScat
February 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I wonder if it would help if you slept with a humidifier in your room?

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I wonder if it would help if you slept with a humidifier in your room?

I don't own one.

Hootenanny
February 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Jacqueline101, I just had this exact problem myself, and it was definitely from the dry winter air. I'd never had a flaky scalp before in my life, and was horrified to suddenly have it appear out of nowhere a couple weeks ago. What helped me was getting more humidity into the air in my house. Since you don't have a humidifier, you can try just boiling water on the stove for an hour or so, or letting your shower steam up the bathroom and then hanging out in there for a while. Also, make sure you are drinking as much water or other hydrating beverages as you can. After hydrating my house and myself, the flakes vanished and haven't returned! :)

Regarding humidifiers: if you have any extra cash, I would truly recommend investing in one. They don't have to be expensive, and they can make a really positive difference for dry skin, scalp, and hair in the winter. Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a good selection (that's where I got mine), and I'm sure Target or Walmart does also. Good luck! :)

**Vera**
February 9th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Maybe use a light oil or something else to moisturize scalp without weighing down hairs

turtlelover
February 9th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Are you 100% sure the dandruff is not caused by washing only once a week, and not from dryness? I get awful dandruff if I don't wash very often, even if my hair doesn't seem terribly greasy. I think mine is fungal or something.

maybeinthemtns
February 9th, 2014, 11:19 PM
This has been happening to me, too, just as of this week. We've been having a cold, dry snap here. I've been oiling my scalp, which I don't normally do. I've also heard teatree oil recommended, but I don't have any, just coconut, so that's what I'm trying. I just started doing it, so I can't tell you any results, but in my case it's definitely dry scalp problems causing the flaking.

I don't have a humidifier either, but sometimes when it gets really dry I'll just boil a pan of water away on the stove, stop using the vents when the shower is on, or put bowls of water on the heating vents on the ground in metal bowls or ceramic mugs, so they evaporate out. If you have pets this is probably not an option. I have a cat in the house now so that last idea is now a no-go for me, but it does help get some water into the air if you can manage it.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Jacqueline101, I just had this exact problem myself, and it was definitely from the dry winter air. I'd never had a flaky scalp before in my life, and was horrified to suddenly have it appear out of nowhere a couple weeks ago. What helped me was getting more humidity into the air in my house. Since you don't have a humidifier, you can try just boiling water on the stove for an hour or so, or letting your shower steam up the bathroom and then hanging out in there for a while. Also, make sure you are drinking as much water or other hydrating beverages as you can. After hydrating my house and myself, the flakes vanished and haven't returned! :)

Regarding humidifiers: if you have any extra cash, I would truly recommend investing in one. They don't have to be expensive, and they can make a really positive difference for dry skin, scalp, and hair in the winter. Bed, Bath, and Beyond has a good selection (that's where I got mine), and I'm sure Target or Walmart does also. Good luck! :)

I did go out side with a damp scalp. I've never had a problem with flakes until last night. I might go to dab or goodwill see if they've a humidifiers.

This has been happening to me, too, just as of this week. We've been having a cold, dry snap here. I've been oiling my scalp, which I don't normally do. I've also heard teatree oil recommended, but I don't have any, just coconut, so that's what I'm trying. I just started doing it, so I can't tell you any results, but in my case it's definitely dry scalp problems causing the flaking.

I don't have a humidifier either, but sometimes when it gets really dry I'll just boil a pan of water away on the stove, stop using the vents when the shower is on, or put bowls of water on the heating vents on the ground in metal bowls or ceramic mugs, so they evaporate out. If you have pets this is probably not an option. I have a cat in the house now so that last idea is now a no-go for me, but it does help get some water into the air if you can manage it.

I will try the boiling water and I might have to oil. I normally don't oil my hair at all.

Maybe use a light oil or something else to moisturize scalp without weighing down hairs

I might have to go back to oiling.

Are you 100% sure the dandruff is not caused by washing only once a week, and not from dryness? I get awful dandruff if I don't wash very often, even if my hair doesn't seem terribly greasy. I think mine is fungal or something.

I've stretched washes for over two years and no flakes. I think it's the weather.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
A question inside a question what would be a good oil to help dandruff? I have the following at home:
Pantene truly natural shine serum with argan oil
Isoplus tea tree and aloe oil conditioning sheen
Almond oil, argan, coconut oil mix with water.
Mineral oil with Shea butter
Plain mineral oil
Gro works scalp calming oil

door72067
February 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I get dry scalp (usually from dry winter air, but sometimes from swimming in the summer) and I do a lot of what's been said, add humidity to the air (simmering a pot of water on the stove) drinking more and I add Omega3 oils to my diet (nuts, sardines, trout, tuna)

I also use Head & Shoulders for dry scalp once or twice a month

swearnsue
February 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Hi Jacqueline! I love the Doo Gro stuff so I vote for the Doo Gro scalp calming stuff. I don't even know what it is, so take my vote with a grain of salt!

Good luck though with whatever product or products you try!

Was this already mentioned? Drink plenty of water, kind of humidifies from the inside!

**Vera**
February 10th, 2014, 12:56 PM
A question inside a question what would be a good oil to help dandruff? I have the following at home:
Plain mineral oil

"Isoplus tea tree and aloe oil conditioning sheen" and "Almond oil, argan, coconut oil mix with water" sounds like something that would help dandruff. Try using a fine-toothed comb that is used for removing lice after oiling but before washing to gently loosen the dandruff sticking to the scalp. Moisturize the clean scalp with something afterwards.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM
"Isoplus tea tree and aloe oil conditioning sheen" and "Almond oil, argan, coconut oil mix with water" sounds like something that would help dandruff. Try using a fine-toothed comb that is used for removing lice after oiling but before washing to gently loosen the dandruff sticking to the scalp. Moisturize the clean scalp with something afterwards.

I will try this on wash day thank you.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Hi Jacqueline! I love the Doo Gro stuff so I vote for the Doo Gro scalp calming stuff. I don't even know what it is, so take my vote with a grain of salt!

Good luck though with whatever product or products you try!

Was this already mentioned? Drink plenty of water, kind of humidifies from the inside!

I will try to find my doo gro and apply it. It did work good for my issue once before.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I get dry scalp (usually from dry winter air, but sometimes from swimming in the summer) and I do a lot of what's been said, add humidity to the air (simmering a pot of water on the stove) drinking more and I add Omega3 oils to my diet (nuts, sardines, trout, tuna)

I also use Head & Shoulders for dry scalp once or twice a month

I might have to use some dandruff shampoo.

walterSCAN
February 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Plain mineral oil

Depending on what else is in it, that^ one looks like the one I would choose for flaky scalp.

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Depending on what else is in it, that^ one looks like the one I would choose for flaky scalp.

Okay I'll try the isoplus for my dandruff.