PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils and hair growth

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I couldn't find a thread about this one, but if there is, please give me a link :whistle:
Sooooo since my hair is completely HEALTHY in every single way after trying a lot of routines and oils since I'm back, I needed to have another 'goal' :p So now I'm doing some experiments which will (hopefully) speed up my growth rate :cheese:

My first experiment is healthy eating - will measure my hair next Sunday (thumbs up!)
My second experiment will be essential oils. I never used it, but I'm willing to try! I read some EO can speed up your growth rate. After some research I really want to try peppermint oil. But guess what - I'm a lucky girl today - this week the store has 1 EO + 1 for free! But which should be the second one??

So my question is: is there anyone inhere who has tried an essential oil and noticed a difference in growth rate? Are there other effects of EO which you liked? Which carrier oil do you use and which ratio do you use?

Thanks!

Scarlet_Celt
February 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I couldn't find a thread about this one, but if there is, please give me a link :whistle:
Sooooo since my hair is completely HEALTHY in every single way after trying a lot of routines and oils since I'm back, I needed to have another 'goal' :p So now I'm doing some experiments which will (hopefully) speed up my growth rate :cheese:

My first experiment is healthy eating - will measure my hair next Sunday (thumbs up!)
My second experiment will be essential oils. I never used it, but I'm willing to try! I read some EO can speed up your growth rate. After some research I really want to try peppermint oil. But guess what - I'm a lucky girl today - this week the store has 1 EO + 1 for free! But which should be the second one??

So my question is: is there anyone inhere who has tried an essential oil and noticed a difference in growth rate? Are there other effects of EO which you liked? Which carrier oil do you use and which ratio do you use?

Thanks!

I'm not a huge fan of essential oils. I have really sensitive skin, and this includes my scalp. However, I used to use a few drops of Rosemary essential oil in my pre-poo treatments. It's supposed to be good for increasing blood circulation to the scalp. If your scalp isn't sensitive then it's probably worth a try! :)

mariakatija
February 9th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I haven't tried any essential oils but I'd like to hear what others have to say!

By the way, you're too funny needing another goal! It's a fun journey, yes?

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I haven't tried any essential oils but I'd like to hear what others have to say!

By the way, you're too funny needing another goal! It's a fun journey, yes?

Without goals in my life a feel empty, haha :p And yes, it's a fun journey! I've learned a lot and I'm able to help some friends as well, it's lovely!

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I'm not a huge fan of essential oils. I have really sensitive skin, and this includes my scalp. However, I used to use a few drops of Rosemary essential oil in my pre-poo treatments. It's supposed to be good for increasing blood circulation to the scalp. If your scalp isn't sensitive then it's probably worth a try! :)

Thanks for your reaction! I'm pretty sure I don't have a sensitive scalp, but still I might be careful (better safe than sorry!)

duchess67
February 9th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Johannah, there is a thread here on LHC in the archived forums section. Actually I ended up here while researching about essential oils. Before that I didn't even know a forum like this existed :)

Here's the link http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598.

There was a study done on essential oils. Randomized Trial of AromatherapySuccessful http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=189618

I bought all the essential oils separately and also ordered Chrome Dome essential oil blend after reading the whole thread. I was desperate to try anything and everything as I was shedding loads. It did help to reduce my shedding a bit. Nowadays I am using Neelibhringadi oil which is an ayurvedic oil. Maybe I should mix these oil blend with Neeli oil and see how it works.

You can read all about it and make a wise decision.

Crimgirl
February 9th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Has anyone tried coconut oil on their hair?

LaReineJaguar
February 9th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I have tried coconut oil but not specifically to make it grow. I used it when it was really damaged as a conditioner, and it made my hair really soft.

SkyChild
February 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Rosemary's meant to be good. It's my favourite herb and a lovely oil. It smells really scrummy.
I thought peppermint was meant to help with digestive problems! But maybe it's a general circulation booster and only for digestive stuff if you eat peppermint.

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Johannah, there is a thread here on LHC in the archived forums section. Actually I ended up here while researching about essential oils. Before that I didn't even know a forum like this existed :)

Here's the link http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23598.

There was a study done on essential oils. Randomized Trial of AromatherapySuccessful http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=189618

I bought all the essential oils separately and also ordered Chrome Dome essential oil blend after reading the whole thread. I was desperate to try anything and everything as I was shedding loads. It did help to reduce my shedding a bit. Nowadays I am using Neelibhringadi oil which is an ayurvedic oil. Maybe I should mix these oil blend with Neeli oil and see how it works.

You can read all about it and make a wise decision.

Thanks for the links! It's a shame this website doesn't work properly on my laptop because I can't read the entire thread - "server is busy". In a couple of minutes/hours it will work though, I guess.

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Rosemary's meant to be good. It's my favourite herb and a lovely oil. It smells really scrummy.
I thought peppermint was meant to help with digestive problems! But maybe it's a general circulation booster and only for digestive stuff if you eat peppermint.

I read on some sites peppermint boosts the blood circulation which will promote hair growth. There was someone on this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119947)thread who used it and got 0.5" extra per month :p

owly
February 9th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Oooh, I just ordered a sampler of essential oils. I'll have to try a drop of peppermint or rosemary in my pre-poo oil treatments.

LanaBanana
February 9th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I've been using clove bud oil mixed with castor oil and almond oil on my scalp 2x a week. I haven't been doing it long enough to measure a difference yet in growth, but I've read that it's supposed to help with scalp circulation and hair growth. But then, I don't think my measuring results will be very reliable since I'm also using castor oil, which is supposed to help with hair growth too. So I'm not much help, but you might look into clove EO. I love the smell!

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I've been using clove bud oil mixed with castor oil and almond oil on my scalp 2x a week. I haven't been doing it long enough to measure a difference yet in growth, but I've read that it's supposed to help with scalp circulation and hair growth. But then, I don't think my measuring results will be very reliable since I'm also using castor oil, which is supposed to help with hair growth too. So I'm not much help, but you might look into clove EO. I love the smell!

You ARE much of a help because I wanted to use castor oil as well! :p My plan is to use avocado oil (maybe almond?) as a carrier oil mixed with castor oil (1:1 ratio) and essential oils (so peppermint and as I read everything, probably rosemary). I'm just wondering how much essential oil I should use, though :p I want to apply this on my scalp as a pre-treatment before washing (so twice a week).

meteor
February 9th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Yes, I have had good success with EOs, but I've been too lazy keeping it up. I always applied oils with a light massage, so I can't tell if it's just the massaging action that improved both the growth and the condition of my hair... I think it could be a bit of both.
First of all, I think EOs may be useful on scalp / skin, not hair. Hair is dead so any emollience/elasticity you can get from carrier oils is probably enough, you don't need to add EOs, unless you want to scent your hair with EOs.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned tea tree oil as it is a very popular and powerful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, though it can be drying. It's effective for both skin and scalp. If I were to have just one EO, tea tree would be the one.

In addition to the EOs mentioned in this thread, I also like bay, basil, clary sage, cedarwood, chamomile, rosemary, thyme, lemon...

You have to be VERY, VERY careful with EOs. They are very powerful and sold in glass, because they can actually "eat through" plastic. Always carefully research and patch test them heavily diluted. If you see any irritation at all, chances are, you can't use this particular EO in any form. Many of them are major irritants and can't be used under some circumstances. Some of them need to be diluted a lot more than others, for example, citrus EOs should be diluted more than something like lavender. Many EOs (citrus, again) greatly increase your photosensitivity and it's not recommended to use them at all on days when you will go out.

Another point: you can create a safe alternative to many EOs by infusing dried or fresh herbs (e.g. chamomile, basil, rosemary, thyme...) into your carrier oils. This is used in Ayurvedic practices, where you won't find EOs but many effective herbal infusions, like the above-mentioned Neelibhringadi oil.

Oh, and a general warning: oiling scalp very often results in more shedding during the first applications. If the shedding is too much for you to handle and if it doesn't decrease after the first 2 or 3 applications, maybe it's not good for your scalp.

2 more links for you:
Essential oils for hair loss and shedding: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
Essential oils for hair growth and health: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41192

owly
February 9th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Essential oils can be harsh on skin (tea tree and lavender are some of the only ones that can be used without a carrier oil). You should probably only need a a couple of drops.

For my face moisturizer, I only do 8 drops of EO in 2 oz of carrier oil.

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Yes, I have had good success with EOs, but I've been too lazy keeping it up. I always applied oils with a light massage, so I can't tell if it's just the massaging action that improved both the growth and the condition of my hair... I think it could be a bit of both.
First of all, I think EOs may be useful on scalp / skin, not hair. Hair is dead so any emollience/elasticity you can get from carrier oils is probably enough, you don't need to add EOs, unless you want to scent your hair with EOs.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned tea tree oil as it is a very popular and powerful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, though it can be drying. It's effective for both skin and scalp. If I were to have just one EO, tea tree would be the one.

In addition to the EOs mentioned in this thread, I also like bay, basil, clary sage, cedarwood, chamomile, rosemary, thyme, lemon...

You have to be VERY, VERY careful with EOs. They are very powerful and sold in glass, because they can actually "eat through" plastic. Always carefully research and patch test them heavily diluted. If you see any irritation at all, chances are, you can't use this particular EO in any form. Many of them are major irritants and can't be used under some circumstances. Some of them need to be diluted a lot more than others, for example, citrus EOs should be diluted more than something like lavender. Many EOs (citrus, again) greatly increase your photosensitivity and it's not recommended to use them at all on days when you will go out.

Another point: you can create a safe alternative to many EOs by infusing dried or fresh herbs (e.g. chamomile, basil, rosemary, thyme...) into your carrier oils. This is used in Ayurvedic practices, where you won't find EOs but many effective herbal infusions, like the above-mentioned Neelibhringadi oil.

Oh, and a general warning: oiling scalp very often results in more shedding during the first applications. If the shedding is too much for you to handle and if it doesn't decrease after the first 2 or 3 applications, maybe it's not good for your scalp.

2 more links for you:
Essential oils for hair loss and shedding: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
Essential oils for hair growth and health: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41192

Wow, thank you so much for the information!!!

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Essential oils can be harsh on skin (tea tree and lavender are some of the only ones that can be used without a carrier oil). You should probably only need a a couple of drops.

For my face moisturizer, I only do 8 drops of EO in 2 oz of carrier oil.

Thanks, now at least I have an idea how much I need to use!

meteor
February 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks, now at least I have an idea how much I need to use!
Yes, dosage is extremely important.
EOs are so effective that they worked for me even at less than 1% dilution.
Here is a good article with dilution charts and a lot of other useful info:
http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Guidelines_for_Using_Essential_Oils_and_Herbs/1711
http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Guidelines_for_Using_Essential_Oils_and_Herbs/1711/2
http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Guidelines_for_Using_Essential_Oils_and_Herbs/1711/3

Good luck! :) And happy growing! :)

LanaBanana
February 9th, 2014, 02:32 PM
You ARE much of a help because I wanted to use castor oil as well! :p My plan is to use avocado oil (maybe almond?) as a carrier oil mixed with castor oil (1:1 ratio) and essential oils (so peppermint and as I read everything, probably rosemary). I'm just wondering how much essential oil I should use, though :p I want to apply this on my scalp as a pre-treatment before washing (so twice a week).

With clove oil, I only add 1 drop per ounce because it is a really strong. I looked up info on clove oil online before I bought it to figure out dilution, and that's what I found. I'm sure if you Google peppermint and rosemary EO you could find the right amounts.

And about the castor oil, I am now a HUGE believer! I've been doing the "oil cleansing method" on my face with 30% castor oil and 70% almond oil for about two weeks now, and my eyebrows have been growing like crazy! I have to pluck them every other night, when before it was about once a week. I was using almond oil as a face moisturizer before, so I know that's not what's causing this. I'm excited to see similar results on my head!

ositarosita
February 9th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Rosemary, lavender. ylang ylang and peppermint - I like to put my EO in my CO wash conditioner because I CO wash 5 days a week so it's a nice scalp massage with a stimulating EO

Aderyn
February 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM

If you decide to use castor oil, I would recommend starting with a smaller percentage as it's very thick and can be difficult to wash out. You don't need a lot to see results and using twice as much isn't going to give results that are twice as good :p

And about the castor oil, I am now a HUGE believer! I've been doing the "oil cleansing method" on my face with 30% castor oil and 70% almond oil for about two weeks now, and my eyebrows have been growing like crazy! I have to pluck them every other night, when before it was about once a week. I was using almond oil as a face moisturizer before, so I know that's not what's causing this. I'm excited to see similar results on my head!

I have heard that castor oil, even though it's quite a good cleanser in that method, might even make the rest of the hair on ones face grow faster and cause more peach fuzz, which pretty much scared me away from using it, ever. :?

LanaBanana
February 9th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I have heard that castor oil, even though it's quite a good cleanser in that method, might even make the rest of the hair on ones face grow faster and cause more peach fuzz, which pretty much scared me away from using it, ever. :?

I have heard that too! So far I've only noticed increased growth on my eyebrows and my hairline, but I'm looking out for a fuzzy face. That would be annoying, since it seems to work so great as a cleanser!

Zebra Fish
February 10th, 2014, 02:10 AM
I'd love to use EOs again on my scalp, but it dislikes (carrier) oils a lot. I can use them on hair without any problems, but not on scalp. I love lavender, rosemary and ylang ylang EO (the last one mostly if I want to scent my hair and I also read on a local forum that it gives a bit of softness to your length - but not sure if this one is true as I use it only sometimes).

As I dilute shampoo in a small bottle before applying it, do you think I could put few drops in the mixture? Or is it possible to put few drops in water (or something else that is not oil) and then massage scalp with that? If anyone has knowledge about that or had tried it, I would appreciate it very much coz I would love to use them again :) And of course, I am very intrigued now to try peppermint :p

Johannah
February 10th, 2014, 02:18 AM
I'm going to get EO this afternoon and I'll do a test to make sure I won't have an allergic reaction! Thank you everyone!!!

Nightshade
February 10th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that essential oils can help hair growth, but only if there is something in the scalp environment that's holding you back from your optimal genetically-programmed max growth per month. Essentially oils can increase scalp circulation, or reduce fungus, or any number of things.

But if what's holding you back from more growth is that you need more silica in your diet, all the EOs in the world won't help :)

Mostly I feel that essential oils play a key part in hair growth, but it's also really important to look at all contributing factors like diet, hormones, habits, etc.

meteor
February 10th, 2014, 07:53 AM
As I dilute shampoo in a small bottle before applying it, do you think I could put few drops in the mixture? Or is it possible to put few drops in water (or something else that is not oil) and then massage scalp with that? If anyone has knowledge about that or had tried it, I would appreciate it very much coz I would love to use them again :) And of course, I am very intrigued now to try peppermint :pinktongue:
I wouldn't do it. If you want to add EO to shampoo, dilute it first very well in a carrier oil. I only add drops of carrier oils (e.g. neem) or EOs diluted in carrier oils directly to shampoo. Think of it this way: oils mix only with oils or oily substances, not water, so if you add EO to water and shake it well, you'll still be applying EO straight to your scalp. Very easy to get a burn with a powerful EO.

Johannah
February 10th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that essential oils can help hair growth, but only if there is something in the scalp environment that's holding you back from your optimal genetically-programmed max growth per month. Essentially oils can increase scalp circulation, or reduce fungus, or any number of things.

But if what's holding you back from more growth is that you need more silica in your diet, all the EOs in the world won't help :)

Mostly I feel that essential oils play a key part in hair growth, but it's also really important to look at all contributing factors like diet, hormones, habits, etc.

I'm eating really healthy right now, but I'm going to do some research about silica so I'm sure I get enough of it. Thank you!

I bought peppermint and rosemary oil. If it doesn't work, if I don't like it or if my scalp gets irritated, I can still use it (peppermint for colds and rosemary because I like the smell) :D. I got such a 'machine' for letting the room smell really good (you need to dilute it with water).

Zebra Fish
February 10th, 2014, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't do it. If you want to add EO to shampoo, dilute it first very well in a carrier oil. I only add drops of carrier oils (e.g. neem) or EOs diluted in carrier oils directly to shampoo. Think of it this way: oils mix only with oils or oily substances, not water, so if you add EO to water and shake it well, you'll still be applying EO straight to your scalp. Very easy to get a burn with a powerful EO.

Tnx. That's what I was thinking, thus using non in a long while. If you add EO diluted in carrier oil to shampoo, it still washes off with no problems? No need to second or hars shampooing?

meteor
February 10th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Tnx. That's what I was thinking, thus using non in a long while. If you add EO diluted in carrier oil to shampoo, it still washes off with no problems? No need to second or hars shampooing?

Yes, it washed off fine in my case, but my hair is on the dry side. I think adding oil to shampoo is tricky, because getting the right ratio right is like a moving target, it doesn't work consistently, so I do it once in a blue moon, and never more than just a couple drops. My preferred oils for this purpose are neem and tea tree, as they are both excellent for scalp and I can't use them as leave-ins, because I don't like the smell (especially neem!).
Here is a good thread discussing oil shampoo: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

If you don't like the carrier oils in which you diluted your EOs, you could experiment with other carrier oils.
I like coconut, neem, castor, grapeseed for scalp, but it's really different for different people.

ositarosita
February 10th, 2014, 11:30 AM

I took my Ylang Ylang EO and put it STRAIGHT into my shampoo ... you just have to recognize that the oil with change the chemical composition of the shampoo thereby changing the texture (IE creamy into watery)... worked beautifully

ositarosita
February 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I'd love to use EOs again on my scalp, but it dislikes (carrier) oils a lot. I can use them on hair without any problems, but not on scalp. I love lavender, rosemary and ylang ylang EO (the last one mostly if I want to scent my hair and I also read on a local forum that it gives a bit of softness to your length - but not sure if this one is true as I use it only sometimes).

As I dilute shampoo in a small bottle before applying it, do you think I could put few drops in the mixture? Or is it possible to put few drops in water (or something else that is not oil) and then massage scalp with that? If anyone has knowledge about that or had tried it, I would appreciate it very much coz I would love to use them again :) And of course, I am very intrigued now to try peppermint :p

When I first started with EO into my wash day (I was shampooing at the time) I just put my EO straight into my shampoo..it doesn't leave a residue, doesn't burn just changes the chemical composition of the shampoo thereby changing the consistency (creamy to water)...from there I quit shampooing and I am a CO wash girl and I put my EO DIRECTLY into my conditioner, I do not use a carrier oil BECAUSE the conditioner dilutes it on it's own. Ylang ylang, lavender, peppermint and rosemary (the only EOs I use do not need a carrier oil when mixing with shampoo or conditioner).

Henna Girl
February 10th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I heard garlic and rosemary essential oils are really good to grow your hair. But to be honest, I haven't tried either :confused:

owly
February 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Is that why I have peach fuzz?? I've been using the oil cleansing method for three weeks--nothing has ever helped me with acne as much as this. I guess the castor oil is working too well.

I've been combating the fuzz with turmeric masks (turmeric + honey + coconut milk). It's been working well.

Zebra Fish
February 11th, 2014, 01:26 AM
To meteor - I tried olive oil, coconut, jojoba and castor, but I just think my scalp doesn't like oils. It's happy with diluted SLS-free shampoo :) But I loved using EOs on it, until with try and error method I concluded that the carrier oils are the thingy that I'll have to exclude (tried CO wash, ACV rinse, catnip, chamomile, nettle soak....).

To ositarosita - ylang ylang, lavender, peppermint and rosemary - those are the 4 I like also :D I use ylang ylang only on length, never tried on scalp, already used lavender and rosemary and want to try peppermint on scalp. As far as I know, only teatree oil and lavender oil can be used without a carrier oil? I'll try asking about it and report back :)

Rushli
February 11th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks for your reaction! I'm pretty sure I don't have a sensitive scalp, but still I might be careful (better safe than sorry!)

It also depends on what EOs you use. Often even "organic" health food store brands have are not pure EOs but have other things like synthetics to stretch out the use of the oil. People are more sensitive to EOs when they are not pure oils. store bought lavender gives me headaches, the kind i get actually helps get rid of my headaches (with peppermint and frankincense.) I have learned a lot from Camp Wander Blog. She even has a post about thinning hair (http://campwander.com/2013/11/organic-root-stimulating-serum-natural/). It is based on this study (http://www.google.com/patents/US20090186095?dq=%22lavender+essential+oil%22+hair +growth+alopecia+scotland).

The company I buy my EOs from posted this (https://www.facebook.com/SparkNaturals/posts/247682588729425?stream_ref=10). A little girl got her hair torn out by a power drill and the company sent her the above serum to help her grow her hair faster. 24 days later they post this (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=255648714599479&set=a.166057476891937.1073741829.134904226673929&type=1&stream_ref=10). I cant tell how much growth is there for sure, but for less than a month it looks pretty good!

Currently i just put whipped coconut oil on my scalp, wrap it in a dish towel, and leave it in over night every other week. I planned on adding Rosemary, Thyme, and Lavender then add cedar wood EO and use emu oil instead of coconut oil when I eventually get it. I have actually only done this once (without EOs) since giving birth mid december. (just a bit busy) I have only started keeping track of length measurements this last month, so I dont really know if coconut oil is helping nor would have a baseline to know if adding EOs would help. Not sure if I want to wait a few months to get a baseline or jump right in using the EOs. Also not sure how often I want to do it. the blogger does it several times a week, but she only does it lightly on the part of her scalp that has stopped growing hair. I was thinking once a week, doing my heavy oiling of the scalp.

ETA:

To ositarosita - ylang ylang, lavender, peppermint and rosemary - those are the 4 I like also :D I use ylang ylang only on length, never tried on scalp, already used lavender and rosemary and want to try peppermint on scalp. As far as I know, only teatree oil and lavender oil can be used without a carrier oil? I'll try asking about it and report back :)
here are some charts about usign EOs neat or diluted chart 1 (http://www.essentialoilcare.com/essential-oils/how-to-use-young-living-essential-oils/) Chart 2 (http://www.aromatools.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/EODilutionChart.pdf)

ositarosita
February 11th, 2014, 03:36 AM
To meteor - I tried olive oil, coconut, jojoba and castor, but I just think my scalp doesn't like oils. It's happy with diluted SLS-free shampoo :) But I loved using EOs on it, until with try and error method I concluded that the carrier oils are the thingy that I'll have to exclude (tried CO wash, ACV rinse, catnip, chamomile, nettle soak....).

The carrier oil is meant to dilute it because it can be a strong EO .. you do not apply the EO directly to your scalp (IE no scalp massage with just peppermint EO but Peppermint and "your oil of choice"). So when putting it into shampoo/conditioner the shampoo/conditioner is diluting it, so you are not putting the EO directly on your scalp. If that makes sense.

Zebra Fish
February 11th, 2014, 04:07 AM
here are some charts about usign EOs neat or diluted chart 1 (http://www.essentialoilcare.com/essential-oils/how-to-use-young-living-essential-oils/) Chart 2 (http://www.aromatools.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/EODilutionChart.pdf)

Tnx for the charts! :D

ositarosita
The carrier oil is meant to dilute it because it can be a strong EO .. you do not apply the EO directly to your scalp (IE no scalp massage with just peppermint EO but Peppermint and "your oil of choice"). So when putting it into shampoo/conditioner the shampoo/conditioner is diluting it, so you are not putting the EO directly on your scalp. If that makes sense

I know why/how carrier oils work, but wasn't sure if it would work with shampoo/conditioner, that was my question. Tnx :)

Misschilly
February 11th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I like to add some peppermint oil to my conditioner when I co, it gives such a nice feeling on the scalp!

Johannah
February 11th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I'm really excited right now to try it. :D

AlexDig
September 28th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I've been adding tea tree oil, rosemary, peppermint, and lemongrass to my egg and aloe washes...huge fan! I've been changing a lot of stuff in my routine so I can't be sure it's the essential oils alone but I feel like they're definitely contributing.

ManeWitch
January 14th, 2015, 05:07 PM
I'm a natural perfumer hobbyist so I have a tonne of EO's around the home. Decided to make a hair growth oil and try it out. I added these to my camellia oil for daily scalp massage.

Himalayan Cedar
Geranium Bourbon
Bulgarian Lavender
Rosemary
White thyme

I'm also massaging it daily into my fingernails in the hopes it will assist there. Im a lifetime biter and just recently have chewed them to within an inch of their life. I've had long nails before I want to get back there as chewed nails just look so awful. It's all keratin, so I'll see how my little experiment goes. In any case I love the smell of this stuff and enjoy my daily massage before going to sleep at night, so soothing. I have a goal to get my hair to hip length this year, lets see if this helps. My current growth rate is about 1" a month. It will be interesting. Certainly very stress relieving anyway.