PDA

View Full Version : Newb here. Any other Dudes on this forum.

DaddyLion
February 9th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Hiya, name's Ricky. I've viewed this forum a few times so now I've decided to join. My hair ain't to long for a girls standards but as a guy I've had my fair share of being told to get a shave.

It does annoy me how because I'm a guy people think it's just plain wrong for me to have long hair. It is after all just ignorance because if a guy is supposed to have short hair why does it grow???

It must be funny for you women who see guys sporting long locks and having a bad hair day. You have grown up with long hair being the norm and I tell you what I never realized how much you know about looking after it until I struggled my self. I mean I'm 24 and my lil 12 year old neice still gives me tips.

I know everyone has a length in which there hair stops growing and it will be interesting to see what point that is. Has anyone else here reached that point?

Also do many guys come on here? It would be nice to chat to other lads that don't keep calling me a hippie. It is entertaining some of the things I get called, Jesus being the funniest, a Beegee another and of course Tarzan. Perhaps you guys can share some funny nicknames you get called if you have any. Anyways glad to be here, maybe I'll learn a few things.

spidermom
February 9th, 2014, 09:16 AM
We have other guys here.
Hopefully some of them will come along soon and introduce themselves.

Madora
February 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM
You might find this interesting, DaddyLion: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732

EdG
February 9th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Welcome, DaddyLion!

There are men on this forum. Some are obvious with men's names, while others may not be apparent from a non-gender-specific user name and a photo of the back of one's head.

One thing that the men of the board have in common is that we're all very dedicated longhairs, having had long hair for many years. Quite a few of us have hair lengths in the range of classic to knee. At those lengths, we get more shock and awe than comments about being hippies or musicians. ;)

You'll soon get to know the group. Welcome to LHC!
Ed

jrmviola
February 9th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Given your hair type you might find this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115 forum of use. Its mostly Ladies who post but there is a wealth of information for you there.

a couple of tips: if you decide to start oiling begin in the DROPS and add more from there, and oil from the ends up. Oils rarely work the same for everyone. Cones rarely work the same for everyone. Experiment only one item at a time. And the search box at the top doesnt work (i dont think).

Good luck! And happy growing!

jrmviola
February 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Duplicate Post, Sorry

DaddyLion
February 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Down to knee! How long would it normally take to grow that long?
ps It might be just me but It seems like I gotta keep signing in every 5 mins to this site...

spidermom
February 9th, 2014, 03:11 PM
When I sign in at the top right corner, I stay signed in. When I sign in at the middle of the page, I constantly get dumped.

DaddyLion
February 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM
It seems either way I do it Spidermom I'm constantly getting logged out. Sometimes I'm logging in only for it to still say I'm logged out. It's alright If I don't leave it idle.

EdG
February 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Average growth rate is half an inch per month, so knee-length takes about 8 years. This is completely dependent on one's genetics.
Ed

Kina
February 9th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info. Down to knee! How long would it normally take to grow that long?
ps It might be just me but It seems like I gotta keep signing in every 5 mins to this site...

tick the box that says "remember me" to stay logged in. Welcome :)

Pierre
February 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Federica
February 10th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Welcome to the LHC!
There are many gentlemen here who have some amazing, super long hair.

I know everyone has a length in which there hair stops growing and it will be interesting to see what point that is. Has anyone else here reached that point?
Here this is called Terminal Lenght, and some folks here have gotten there! For some of them terminal lenght is below the floor, and their hair is so stunning and inspiring for many of us.
As EdG said, your growth rate is totally personal and ruled by genetics: some people hair grow 1.5 inches per month, some others just 1/4 or 1/2 inch.
Many people here usually take monthly pictures of their hair to see the emprovement over the months, I find it very useful to see the actual growth.
And of course nobody here will ever call you a hippy in a negative way!

Happy hair journey with us!

tangela
February 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Hi Ricky,
I'm new here too.
And yeah, I've often been called Jesus or Moses in the old days. It may have been the beard/curly hair combo that did it...
Hippie too, but guilty as charged on that one lol
Oh, I've got a good one. My sister called me a baby yeti!
It's kinda annoying to have people expect you to be or look a certain way because of gender or anything else.
But if you're just happy being yourself, then you'll get stronger for facing down their negativity.
Happy hair growing :)

tangela
February 10th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Forgot to say, the longest my hair ever got was bottom of rib cage.
It's way shorter now, since I started dreadlocks - it shrunk by about two thirds of the length before starting to grow out!

I'm interested - do people think terminal length is normally longer for straight hair than curly? Just seems to me like curly hair wants to tangle and break more at the ends.

DaddyLion
February 10th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I like curly hair, I think it looks cool tied back. I've been called a Bee Gee a few times too. Makes it all the better when I hear that staying alive song.

Madora
February 10th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Forgot to say, the longest my hair ever got was bottom of rib cage.
It's way shorter now, since I started dreadlocks - it shrunk by about two thirds of the length before starting to grow out!

I'm interested - do people think terminal length is normally longer for straight hair than curly? Just seems to me like curly hair wants to tangle and break more at the ends.

tangelo, it is much more difficult to grow curly hair long because of its structure. It needs a lot of patience and pampering. Not impossible, but it seems to take forever in comparison with wavy or straight hair. LHCers Quixii and Carrie Ingalls have very long curly hair.

Flournoy
February 13th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Another guy here. My hair is getting close to mid back or so, thats the next goal anyway. look forward to your progress man and don't pay attention to people eventually they just deal with it and now I actually get some compliments on my hair from a few people who used to rip on me for it.

T-Red
February 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Guy here. I started growing from a buzz cut I had for 20 years. I am 8 months into this, and my longest strands are 4 1/2". Getting awkward now. As far as getting hassled its mostly by a few co-workers, who probably mean no harm, but it does get old. They get told to "go lay down by their dish!"

tangela
February 16th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Hee, hee. Bee Gee - good one. I got ZZ Top more often, in the long hair/beard days...

Positive attention from girls for having nice long hair far outweighs any digs the guys might give you anyway ;)

Thanks, Madora, thought it might have been that...