PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question but need an option

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I've been freaking out over the hair that comes out when I wash it.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/005.jpg

This is what came out when I washed it. I had a few more of these but got rid of them. Is the normal ?

tlover
February 9th, 2014, 01:42 AM
When I wash my hair it looks like some hairy animal just died there but the longer your hair is the more it will look like you're losing.

Everyone looses hair every day and that's natural
edit: I goggled it, you normally lose about 100 hairs a day

Wosie
February 9th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I see at least as many hairs in my shower drain after every hair wash, so you needn't worry. It's perfectly normal to shed some hair when showering. It honestly doesn't look like very many hairs either, maybe 20-25?

Johannah
February 9th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I loose much more hairs than you! Don't worry!

MaryO
February 9th, 2014, 02:15 AM
That doesn't look too bad to me either. It's never fun to lose hairs but at least it's normal! ;-)

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Thank you all very much. Since I've lost my waist length hair and to be honest not sure how I did I've been very upset over every hair I find.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 9th, 2014, 02:38 AM
It's perfectly normal to lose that amount of hair every day so don't worry about it.

Wosie
February 9th, 2014, 02:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss. :blossom: Do you think it's health related or might've it been mechanical damage?

Mellybee
February 9th, 2014, 02:44 AM
*chimes in* I lose waaaaay more than that just by running my hands through my hair (albeit, I'm going through some shedding issues) you don't even want to know what it's like when I shower & wash my hair.

sarahthegemini
February 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Seriously? There's barely any hairs there ...

MinderMutsig
February 9th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Seriously? There's barely any hairs there ... This.

(Ten characters)

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 04:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your hair loss. :blossom: Do you think it's health related or might've it been mechanical damage?

I think it was a combo of the two

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 04:30 AM
*chimes in* I lose waaaaay more than that just by running my hands through my hair (albeit, I'm going through some shedding issues) you don't even want to know what it's like when I shower & wash my hair.

Mine is also shedding bad.

furnival
February 9th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Mine is also shedding bad.
I don't want to sound like I'm belittling your concerns, but the picture does not show anything out of the ordinary with regards to hair loss. I wouldn't say you were 'shedding bad' at all. People with serious sheds can lose fifty times that amount during a wash.
I lose more hair than is in your picture every time I comb, and I don't count myself as shedding at all. Worrying about shedding is a good way to cause it! I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

MaryMarx
February 9th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Oh... that's nothing! :)

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 04:52 AM
I don't want to sound like I'm belittling your concerns, but the picture does not show anything out of the ordinary with regards to hair loss. I wouldn't say you were 'shedding bad' at all. People with serious sheds can lose fifty times that amount during a wash.
I lose more hair than is in your picture every time I comb, and I don't count myself as shedding at all. Worrying about shedding is a good way to cause it! I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Thank you for your input. means a lot. I do wonder if I'm Worrying too much.

sarahthegemini
February 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Kate could it be that you have only just started to pay attention to your shedding? If so, I think it's normal to panic over something normal at the start. Have you noticed any thinning at all?

sally_neuf
February 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Seriously? There's barely any hairs there ...
Lol my thoughts exactly. Specially because I just swept the floor. I can grab the hairball from the floor with two hands :) (I'm at hip)

Don't worry, seems even better than normal.

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Its just alarming cause I find random strands all over the house . long ones, short ones lol

Mellybee
February 9th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Suddenly, I wish I would have taken pictures of my shower shedding experiences recently. I've considered it, but I actually think it's a little embarrassing.

Really. It's so much.

Kate199023, I really wouldn't worry about your shedding, I think the majority of people on this forum would LOVE to shed as little as you do in the shower. I'm giving my hair a wash tonight/tomorrow (depending what time I get home from work) and I'll take a picture and show you why you needn't worry so much :)

Mellybee
February 9th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Its just alarming cause I find random strands all over the house . long ones, short ones lol

My boyfriend is aaaaalways complaining about finding my hair all over the house. Seriously. it is everywhere. Like I said in my other post, I'll take a pic and show you how bad it can get.

Soltimus
February 9th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I shed a lot. A LOT! Well, it might be a normal amount but when it's and absolutely everywhere it makes you start to think. I'm not worried, though, it's just how it is. And I don't think you need to worry either.

furnival
February 9th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Yup... I think we're all familiar with that! :p

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM
When I shed in the spring and summer time I always get afraid that I will be bald. Then I realize that if it's not thinning then I'm alright. Of course no one told me my shed hairs look like a sea creature. I thought one was a spider and beat it with my bowl brush.

furnival
February 9th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Of course no one told me my shed hairs look like a sea creature. I thought one was a spider and beat it with my bowl brush.
:laugh: I've had that! Hurriedly brushed some scary-looking thing off my leg before realising it was a clump of shed hair... :p

Anje
February 9th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Yeah, that's less than average shedding, I'd say. Just wait... The longer your hair gets, the bigger the clumps of shed hair get, all other things being equal. We longhaired sorts eventually start counting the number of vacuums our hair has taken out.

lapushka
February 9th, 2014, 07:18 AM
I've been freaking out over the hair that comes out when I wash it.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/005.jpg

This is what came out when I washed it. I had a few more of these but got rid of them. Is the normal ?

That's *nothing*. Gosh, really?! A ball comes out when we do my wash routine here. So be glad that it's just a few hairs!

sarahthegemini
February 9th, 2014, 07:18 AM
When I shed in the spring and summer time I always get afraid that I will be bald. Then I realize that if it's not thinning then I'm alright. Of course no one told me my shed hairs look like a sea creature. I thought one was a spider and beat it with my bowl brush.

Jacqueline the image I have in my head right now is hilarious!

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Jacqueline the image I have in my head right now is hilarious!

It was funny. My man thought someone was attacking me he comes in to the bathroom to see me beating up a hair ball.

Wosie
February 9th, 2014, 08:01 AM
It was funny. My man thought someone was attacking me he comes in to the bathroom to see me beating up a hair ball.

Haha, thanks for the giggle! =D For me it was the other way around, I clearly saw a 'big lump of black thread' on the ground and blew at it (as I wanted to show my younger sister it was just some thread--she was certain it was a spider) and the 'lump' had eight legs... Eight extremely fast legs. shudder:

Kate199023, sorry for the hijack! I do hope you're feeling less worried now!

Tangle or Curl?
February 9th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I lose 4 to 5 times that and still have a very full head of hair. If anything that looks like you lose less than normal.

AspenSong
February 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Def doesn't look bad to me! When I wash my hair normally I get a lot more than that and when I'm going through a shed it looks like I'm going to be bald in three days. lol.

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Haha, thanks for the giggle! =D For me it was the other way around, I clearly saw a 'big lump of black thread' on the ground and blew at it (as I wanted to show my younger sister it was just some thread--she was certain it was a spider) and the 'lump' had eight legs... Eight extremely fast legs. shudder:

Kate199023, sorry for the hijack! I do hope you're feeling less worried now!
When I was showering mine was moving towards me. The water was moving it so I panicked and grabbed the bowl brush and let the sea monster have it. Then I remembered Missouri doesn't have sea creatures. I was convinced it was a spider. I do hope you feel better Katie199023. We'll have hair balls that scare us is the point of the messages.

GRU
February 9th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I lose a small rodent every time, even if I just brushed my hair prior to getting in the shower (and the brushing included another small rodent's worth of hair!).

jrmviola
February 9th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Highly Normal amount of Hair Loss. No worries. More lost if its been a few days since you brush or if its been up a long time.

RapunzelKat
February 9th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Thank you all very much. Since I've lost my waist length hair and to be honest not sure how I did I've been very upset over every hair I find.

I wouldn't worry, I lose probably 3X that much in the shower, then again when I detangle. Just normal shedding for me. :)
I think it's probably normal to be a little over-sensitive about shedding after losing a lot of hair, but it looks like you're fine :blossom:

Kate199023
February 9th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I just found a few strands on my hoodie and cover so yeah I'm worried.

RapunzelKat
February 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I just found a few strands on my hoodie and cover so yeah I'm worried.

This is actually pretty normal too. :) I find hairs all over the place, even though mine is up almost all the time. Rugs, clothes, bed, etc...

Anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs a day is generally pretty normal. Have you done anything out of the ordinary? Things like scalp massage, vigorous brushing, hormone cycles, or even just wearing your hair down can lead to finding more shed hairs than normal.

maybeinthemtns
February 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Of course no one told me my shed hairs look like a sea creature. I thought one was a spider and beat it with my bowl brush.

That is too funny! I did the same thing once - I panicked and battled as ferociously as I could when armed only with a brush against what turned out to be my roomies hair extensions. It scared the crap out of me, and me being scared, scared everyone else in the house. They still make fun of me for it. It was terrifying, though!

maybeinthemtns
February 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM
And in response to the OP - I lose way more hair than that whenever I shower. I'd say you are doing good. I find my hair absolutely everywhere.

truepeacenik
February 9th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah, that's less than average shedding, I'd say. Just wait... The longer your hair gets, the bigger the clumps of shed hair get, all other things being equal. We longhaired sorts eventually start counting the number of vacuums our hair has taken out.

Two. Neener, neener.
And, I didn't own either. I live without rugs. These were lovers' vacuums.

Seriously, OP, I comb while conditioner is in my hair, and I roll up a ball the size of a marble.
However, this is a sign to get a drain screen, pronto. This stuff clogs pipes.

Kate199023
February 10th, 2014, 02:24 AM
This is actually pretty normal too. :) I find hairs all over the place, even though mine is up almost all the time. Rugs, clothes, bed, etc...

Anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs a day is generally pretty normal. Have you done anything out of the ordinary? Things like scalp massage, vigorous brushing, hormone cycles, or even just wearing your hair down can lead to finding more shed hairs than normal.

I've been wearing down a lot so that could be it . Didn't now that thanks

Zebra Fish
February 10th, 2014, 02:33 AM
I would be happy if I shed only that much after hair wash :D If it wouldn't scary people, I'd take a pic of my usual shed from hair wash. Actually, we might make a thread out of it xD

Sth like this :p
http://www.jokideo.com/funny-cat-put-it-back/
http://i.imgur.com/nKPrC.jpg
http://tonymcgurk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Cat-Hair.jpg

(sorry for a bit of thread hijacking)

Mellybee
February 10th, 2014, 02:39 AM
I would be happy if I shed only that much after hair wash :D If it wouldn't scary people, I'd take a pic of my usual shed from hair wash. Actually, we might make a thread out of it xD

:lol: :laugh: that's the best thing I've seen in a loooong time

Wosie
February 10th, 2014, 02:57 AM

Haha, those cats are adorable! I especially like the first one, the look on his/her face is priceless. =D I should make a similar picture of myself and my shed hairs after a shower. :hmm:

Something I've been thinking about--everybody loses ~100 hairs every day, but most people's hair still looks so smooth and 'one piece'. My own hair and its different hair lengths makes it look frizzy and there are fly aways in different lengths all over the place. Is it due to others using products, smoothing the hair down, or is it because of wavies' hair being so wild and uncontrollable, making it look more dishevelled than it really is?

And, Kate199023, I was wondering something... Do you think your hair thickness always has been i-sized (0-5 cm), or has it changed in recent years?

milque
February 10th, 2014, 05:27 AM

Hahaha. Love this!

To the OP, that doesn't seem like a big amount at all. I think most people (me included) shed a lot more than that in the shower. And throughout the day. But if it really does worry you, think back on any recent changes in your diet, lifestyle, routine etc. Also take note of the general thickness of your hair and whether it feels like it's getting thinner. If you think you've been shedding more than usual, and not because you've recently started taking notice, it could be because of these changes. For example I noticed I shed a lot more when I took certain supplements. Hair shed is completely normal, as long as you are growing new hairs in place of the loss. :)

Thinthondiel
February 10th, 2014, 06:19 AM

Be aware, though, that wearing it up only means that instead of shedding hair around the house throughout the day, the hair will come out when you brush or shower... which means there will be more hair in the shower drain (but it won't mean you'll be losing more hair in total, even though it might look like it).

We lose hair every day no matter what, so there's no reason to fret over shed hairs in the shower or around the house. Every hair on our heads (and elsewhere) fall out after a certain amount of time, and then they grow back in again. It's just the natural cycle of the hair: growth, resting phase, shed. Repeat ad nauseam. The only reason to worry would be if you notice any actual thinning of your hair. If you're uncertain whether your hair is thinning or not, you could start measuring the circumference of your ponytail. It doesn't look like you have anything to worry about, though - that's a fairly small amount of hair to shed while in the shower, I'd say. Even if you're shedding elsewhere as well. As someone else mentioned, there are members here who have killed vacuums with their shed hair.

restless
February 10th, 2014, 06:58 AM

Welcome to the world of the long hairs ;)

I panicked and battled as ferociously as I could when armed only with a brush against what turned out to be my roomies hair extensions.

Lol this is probably one of the funniest things Ive ever read on this board. The mental image I got is priceless :p

embee
February 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM
This thread is a hoot! :D

I am pretty much a winter NW/SO person, but before I get in the shower I brush my hair to remove loose bits and then tie it up. Every single day I get a small marble-size ball of hair.

Please do get a shower drain-strainer thing. And please remember to check your vacuum for hair wrapped around the moving parts. Neither clogged drains nor burned out vacuums are fun or cheap. DO NOT discard sheds/hairballs/hairwads in the toilet, because a clogged toilet is the *worst*. ;)

RapunzelKat
February 10th, 2014, 08:28 AM

I expect this is why you're finding hair in unexpected places then :) When your hair is loose, it just falls out naturally as it sheds. When it's up, the shed hairs are contained until you take it down and brush or comb it out, so you'll find the shed hairs on your comb or brush instead.

If you're still worried though, you can always try measuring your ponytail circumference once a month or so to check your circumference. Just make sure that you're consistent with how you're measuring so you get consistent results.

ETA: a great way to save your vacuum is to regularly remove the shed hairs from the brush roller with a seam ripper :D

Mrspuddinhead
February 10th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Not a stupid question at all. I would say its normal. I lose more durring finger combing. Battling serious hair issues here.