PDA

View Full Version : What length do you consider "long"?

FallingDarkness
February 7th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I think as soon as my hair hits BSL I'll consider it long. Right now I think I'm about APL, but I can't really tell LOL. But this got me wondering - when does hair become "long" to all of you guys? What I consider long might be considered short by the rest of you. :) I want your opinions.

tlover
February 7th, 2014, 12:20 PM
around the waist for me, Before that its "somewhat long" (or "halvlångt" in Swedish)

Johannah
February 7th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I consider waist as long.

I thought there was a thread about this topic in the poll-section of this forum, but I'm not sure.

Rio040113
February 7th, 2014, 12:21 PM
On other people, Waist+ usually seems long. On myself I'm not sure, I'm about 1" from BCL right now and it still feels/looks short to me!

dancingpoet
February 7th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I'm not even sure what I consider "long" to be. My hair used to be past classic, maybe close to fingertip, and then I cut it to between BSL and waist, and I felt like it was short. The shortest I've gone since then is around APL, and BSL and past there seems long-ish to me now. However, now I'm hovering somewhere around hip, close to tailbone and I feel like it's sort of "long" again. I still say "when my hair was long..."

hairpleasegrow
February 7th, 2014, 12:27 PM
for me "long" is a healthy and thick hemline at BSL. anything below that is a bonus. I'm just above APL and getting rid of scraggily chemically damaged hair, trying to thicken up my hemline at APL before letting it grow.....

JessicaAnn
February 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM
When hair gets to the below shoulder-blade/BSL range I consider it long. Mine was just below waist before I cut it in October and I considered that very long. Mine is alllllllmost APL and I consider that medium length, but a few inches more and I'll be calling it long.

Valkyriejae
February 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I consider waist to be sort of conventional long, as in it looks long to me on others. However, I still feel like my hair is "not that long" and it's almost TBL...

Sarahlabyrinth
February 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I used to think of waist as being the start of long, and it does look long on others, but now that I am almost at waist I feel as if it is only medium and that classic is "long".

Beware LHC - it significantly distorts your view of hair, lol.

lazuliblue
February 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I consider waist as long.

I thought there was a thread about this topic in the poll-section of this forum, but I'm not sure.

There are a couple I think, here's one: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114562

Anyway, in answer to the OP: I used to think BSL was long, but since coming to the LHC it's changed to waist :D

spidermom
February 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I declared my hair to be long at APL.

FallingDarkness
February 7th, 2014, 12:45 PM
lazuliblue, lol. I'm pretty sure the same is gonna happen to me.

lunalocks
February 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Used to think waist was long. Then hit waist and it didn't feel long. now at BCL it is STARTING to feel long. I don't think I will really feel like it IS long until classic.

When I look at other long hairs, even mid back, sometimes their hair looks so long. And then I try to imagine my current length on them and that seems REALLY long. Funny it does't seem so for myself.

Misschilly
February 7th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Hm..I think hip is long..just because I never had hair that long..I guess I thought waist was long before but now I've reached it it doesn't seems to be long.

Kherome
February 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Anything past waist is long.

ositarosita
February 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
For me long starts at about waist ... I have a long rib cage so the difference between waist and tailbone for me is only about six inches.

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Before I came here I thought bsl was long. Now I'd say classic and longer.

askan
February 7th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Hmm, I think it varies with tallness of the person. If I see a little 8-year old with waistlength I don't think "ohh that's long" the same way I do if I see someone tall with waistlength hair. I think I would consider BSL on myself to be quite long after having had shoulder- to APL hair for a few years =)

Spindle
February 7th, 2014, 12:56 PM
I felt like I finally had long hair at waist :)

blue_eyes
February 7th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I don't consider hair to be long unless it is at least BSL. But, I remember when my hair had just reached WL, I did not feel like it was long at all. I saw a photo of myself recently with my hair atWL and was shocked to realize how long it actually was lol, it really didn't feel that way at the time. My hair is nearly at BSL now and I think once it reaches that point I'll be able to say "I have long hair!" again :P

turtlelover
February 7th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I think it is relative. For example, when I see a more mature person in their 60s w/ hair past their shoulders, it seems long in comparison w/ what I normally see, so I might take notice of it being "long." On a person in their teens, I don't really think of hair as being long until it is APL to bra strap length. Also, what might be "long" to someone with finer, thinner hair might not seem long at all on something w/ super thick, coarse hair. What seemed long to me in the 80s when long hair was more out of style doesn't seem so long to me nowadays when most younger girls have medium - long hair. In the end, it doesn't really matter anyway. ;-)

jt623
February 7th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I consider anything past where the bra strap fastens as long hair. I consider waist length or longer very long hair.

bunnylake
February 7th, 2014, 01:45 PM
When my hair was TBL I felt like it was just at the beginning of "long". Now that my hair is just above collar bone length, I feel like anything past BSL is long!

Tini'sNewHair
February 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah theres already a thread on this.

Anyway, I think long starts with waist visually but for me it may be at hip+ because i have been at waist before and its to familiar, it feels to short still (im not there yet but close enough).

jt623
February 7th, 2014, 01:55 PM
BSL looks longer on someone above average height than on someone 4'11 for sure.

mariakatija
February 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I consider hip length hair long. Hair becomes super-long at around classic.

jeanniet
February 7th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Long? Waist. Very long? TBL+.

Madora
February 7th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Long is at waist for me (provided it is all one length and not piecy looking). Really long is thigh or knee length.

Carolyn
February 7th, 2014, 02:14 PM
In my mind...

Short is above shoulder
Mid length is shoulder to mid back or top of bra
Long is top of bra to hip
Very long is hip to classic
Freakishly long is past classic

Aderyn
February 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
When I'm out in the world, anything past BSL I view as long. Though, my hair is just past waist length stretched and it still feels short.

woodswanderer
February 7th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I think hip. Hip or longer in real life usually gets a double take from me.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I agree with Carolyn. However, I do also agree that other things make me think about whether hair is long or short. Some of it is age, as was said above and some of it is racial/ethnic. Meaning, if I see a black person with APL hair that's thick at the ends, I think that's long but if I see a South Asian person with tailbone hair, it doesn't look 'long' it looks 'normal.'
also, its odd, I think of 'waist' as the dividing line between long and short hair in theory, but in real life, I see that so rarely that I notice that if someone has hair that is bottom bra strap I will turn my head, thinking their hair is long. Even on teenage girls, I rarely see hair as long as bottom bra strap or midback, most seem like APL-BSL.

EmmAutumn
February 7th, 2014, 03:04 PM
On other people i consider waist long, but on me (mine is shorter now, but waist is the longest it's ever been) that's just "medium". I don't know when i'll consider it long, hip? tailbone?

sarahramen
February 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
For me, BSL is the very start of long, its not an uncommon length for my age group either, so it could technically be considered average I suppose. Waist is actually long to me since it is less common and TBL and beyond I consider to be very long. So I guess my length definitions are influenced by commonality, not so much proportion of body length :p

shutterpillar
February 7th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I used to think waist was long, but now that I'm at waist, I don't think it's long anymore. :rolleyes: It seems more "medium" to me. Though LHC length photos have swayed my opinions. lol. I used to think waist was crazy long.

I've changed my mind to TBL. Though that may be subject to change as well. ;)

Alun
February 7th, 2014, 03:27 PM
This old chestnut. As usual, it is generating some strange answers.

Firstly, around 90% of board members are women, and women mostly have long hair to begin with, more or less. This drives many to come up with answers that separate LHC long hair from ordinary long hair, because we all see long hair every day, just not exceptionally long hair. I think that a more objective PoV is that scores of women you see in the street every day have long hair, albeit they aren't committed to growing it, and will let their hairdresser hack loads of it off without question.

I have (barely) waist length hair that is probably terminal length, probably because it is very fine (and has always been like that) and is liable to break. But of course, that isn't long! And yes, I'm a guy, but hair is hair. No, only hip length or tailbone (or whatever) is long (yeah, right). There have to be women out there whose hair is very similar, except that most of them probably have been told that they have the wrong type of hair to grow out and took that to heart.

For years I had hair that was 'long for a guy', until I decided to grow it out based on a comment from a girl (yes, the same comment, she told me it was 'long for a guy'). So, I did, and now what? It's not long unless I can grow it beyond what my genetics allow?

Men seldom ponder this existential question, we have long hair when some poor misguided fool tells us they think it's TOO long, LOL!!

Loviatar
February 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM
In my mind...

Short is above shoulder
Mid length is shoulder to mid back or top of bra
Long is top of bra to hip
Very long is hip to classic
Freakishly long is past classic

I'm similar to Carolyn. Short to me is bald to bob; mid length is past jawline to APL; long is APL to waist, very long is hip to fingertip, and then extremely long once it's longer than one's arms :)

But I consider LHC warps your perceptions of length.

RancheroTheBee
February 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM
LHC warped my concept of long, but so did moving out east. Where I came from originally, shorter hair was in vogue (probably because it was so dry there!) but here I don't see many women with hair shorter than APL here. :shrug: So now everything under BSL looks shortish to me.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, Alun, I forgot about gender! You are perfectly right. I think of hair as long as to the ears as 'long for a guy' while on a woman I think that is very short hair indeed.
I do think a lot of it is what you expect when you see a certain sort of person and how much they differ from your expectation. I will leave more existentially minded persons than myself to figure out if that is a good or bad thing.
I guess I think of waist as a marker dividing long from short hair, on women (most of the time) because it seems like half of your body length. although objectively, that has nothing to do with anything. I also think that one's eyes deceive one quite frequently. I know that I have seen people, thought their hair was 'long' and then remembered it as being waist length several times, and then after talking to the person, been told that they actually never had waist length hair, only mid-back or bra strap or whatever. So I don't always 'see' what is really there and I am probably not the only one with this problem.

EdG
February 7th, 2014, 07:03 PM
"Long" is when one is looking for a LHC meet, and a stranger points in a direction and says "Your group is over there!" :)
Ed

Rio040113
February 7th, 2014, 07:09 PM
"Long" is when one is looking for a LHC meet, and a stranger points in a direction and says "Your group is over there!" :)
Ed

That's brilliant :lol:

Naiadryade
February 7th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I think of it as a spectrum. Which is somewhat variable--certain lengths "look" longer on one person than another, and hemline also affects the appearance. As in, thicker hemlines give hair the impression of being longer to me, than hair that would measure the same length but has significant taper.

Here's how I think of it:
Buzz-pixie: "Extremely short"
Long pixie-chin: "Very short"
Chin-Shoulder: "Short"
Past shoulder-BSL: "Kinda short-ish long-ish"
BSL-Hip: "Long"
Hip-Classic: "Very long"
Leg territory: "Extremely long!"

LadyLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 12:47 AM
Knees. I wore my hair at around tailbone for 10 years so it didn't even seem long to me. At knee it feels long to me.I am past floor now and it's too long!

restless
February 8th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Personally, I think it depends a lot on the person the hair is attached to. On some people even APL looks long whereas on another person it comes off as short. However in general Id say I consider hair long when it reaches the BSL-waist area.

My own hair is a different matter though :p At almost BCL I know its long in the real world but it doesnt really feel all that long and Im not done growing it (even though Im sure some people in my surroundings think Ive already taken it too far lol). Im curious to find out how TBL feels.

0xalis
February 8th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Keep in mind that you're dealing with some very warped opinions on this site, lol! My hair's only APL and my bf considers this "long" [Even though he has a friend with knee length hair! O_o I don't get "normal" people.]

My personal opinion:
Bald/Buzz to chin: Short.
Chin+ to shoulder: Medium.
Shoulder+ to BSL: Medium-longish.
BSL+/MBL to Waist: Long.
Waist+/Hip to TBL: Very long!
Everything past TBL: *SUPER* long!

I rarely see people with hair past waist, IRL. Hair past waist is eye candy for sure!

Stray_mind
February 8th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Everything from midback lenght for me is "long".. BSL is something "average".

Selkie-
February 8th, 2014, 01:47 AM
I used to think BSL was long but now it just seems medium length.

For me, long hair starts at waist although I think I will only feel my own hair is 'long' when it hits hip-length. :)

pixldust
February 8th, 2014, 02:03 AM
When I first joined, I was ecstatic at the thought of having apl hair, and getting it to bsl would mean it was it was pretty darn long. How your perception can change! :D Even though my hair is fast closing in on apl, it now feels annoyingly short and my ultimate goal has changed to waist....for now :D

Bagginslover
February 8th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Long on me, and long on others is totally different! APL, healthy hair on someone else looks long to me (less so if its in bad condition though, even if its longer), yet at 1" from BCL, I still don't feel like mine is long, even though its NEVER been this long before!

spirals
February 8th, 2014, 03:12 AM
I consider waist the beginning of long. I took a length pic earlier and was surprised at how it looks kind of long now. (This was my first length pic at waist).

Federica
February 8th, 2014, 04:52 AM
To me everything above apl is short, between apl and waist+ is medium-long and past hip is long.
I know my marks are longer than other people here, but in Italy where I live many women have long hair (past bsl) so I have to deal with competition :D

MaryO
February 8th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Since not may women wear their hair very long around here I reckon APL is getting towards long. However, since joining LHC I thinks that WL is rather long. Hope to have 'long' hair sometime! ;-)

Stiria
February 8th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I think waist+ is long. Anything between bsl and waist is longish or medium. Apl to bsl is medium. Shorter than apl is short.

ladyfey
February 8th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Classic is where long starts for me.

MissBubble
February 8th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Where I live, anything past BSL is really long.
But for me it is Waist and beyond.

mrs_coffee
February 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Before I came here I thought bsl was long. Now I'd say classic and longer.

Same here. I had never had long hair in my life and honestly, anything past shoulder length was long in my book. Now that I've been to waist length and back, I feel like anything waist length or longer is long.

HazelBug
February 13th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I suppose that hip seems longish to me. But I didn't have short hair untill I was a teen. And I've been many lengths between buzz cut and tbl. For some reason, my hair always seems short to me. Waist seems more like medium length and bsl seems short to me.

HairFaerie
February 13th, 2014, 02:12 PM
<Sorry, double post!>

HairFaerie
February 13th, 2014, 02:14 PM
On others, waist and longer is "long". On myself, who knows when it will be "long" to me. I had almost waist length and it didn't feel long at all. Now that I look back at my hair in those pics, it did look long. My perception gets skewed somehow with my own hair. :/

Nadine <3
February 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Well, I started growing my hair at chin length with layers that where even shorter. Now I'm about 2 inches from APL. Every time I see my hair in the mirror I think WOW, it's getting long! So APL will seem long to me...since I've never gotten there before.

divinedobbie
February 13th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I think waist can be solidly considered long. On myself though, I say "back when I had long hair" when it was only around MBL just because it's been hovering above BSL since then.

koolkittychick
February 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I agree with Carolyn. However, I do also agree that other things make me think about whether hair is long or short. Some of it is age, as was said above and some of it is racial/ethnic. Meaning, if I see a black person with APL hair that's thick at the ends, I think that's long but if I see a South Asian person with tailbone hair, it doesn't look 'long' it looks 'normal.'
also, its odd, I think of 'waist' as the dividing line between long and short hair in theory, but in real life, I see that so rarely that I notice that if someone has hair that is bottom bra strap I will turn my head, thinking their hair is long. Even on teenage girls, I rarely see hair as long as bottom bra strap or midback, most seem like APL-BSL.

Yes, Alun, I forgot about gender! You are perfectly right. I think of hair as long as to the ears as 'long for a guy' while on a woman I think that is very short hair indeed.
I do think a lot of it is what you expect when you see a certain sort of person and how much they differ from your expectation. I will leave more existentially minded persons than myself to figure out if that is a good or bad thing.
I guess I think of waist as a marker dividing long from short hair, on women (most of the time) because it seems like half of your body length. although objectively, that has nothing to do with anything. I also think that one's eyes deceive one quite frequently. I know that I have seen people, thought their hair was 'long' and then remembered it as being waist length several times, and then after talking to the person, been told that they actually never had waist length hair, only mid-back or bra strap or whatever. So I don't always 'see' what is really there and I am probably not the only one with this problem.

This. Also, the texture of the hair factors in as well. Waist length kinky hair very often appears shoulder-length (or shorter!) in its unstretched state, depending on the amount of shrinkage the person has. My natural hair without relaxer shrinks to about 20% of its actual length, for instance, so for me to have what I consider to be long hair (waist length or longer), I would need to grow it to classic or even knee length and stretch it with banding or threading to get the desired effect.

Weewah
February 13th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I think what's considered long by most people is BSL because people who try to keep their hair long but regularly get haircuts tend to hover around this length.

Hatsune Miku
February 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Before I joined the LHC, I didn't consider anything above hip very long at all. Now that I've seen so many pictures of long-haired ladies and gentlemen, I've realized that it really depends on the person. For example, waist looks pretty long on some people, but not so much on others (e g. me when I was younger).

chen bao jun
February 13th, 2014, 05:34 PM
This. Also, the texture of the hair factors in as well. Waist length kinky hair very often appears shoulder-length (or shorter!) in its unstretched state, depending on the amount of shrinkage the person has. My natural hair without relaxer shrinks to about 20% of its actual length, for instance, so for me to have what I consider to be long hair (waist length or longer), I would need to grow it to classic or even knee length and stretch it with banding or threading to get the desired effect.
How true this is.
This is probably partly why I consider natural hair at APL on a black person that appears thick to be 'long'--from experience I know how much longer it actually has to be.
Mine appears to be slightly below shoulder length now when unstretched (I do braid it when its wet so its not 'completely unstretched') but is actually somewhere around the middle of my brastrap. So I have a decent amount of shrinkage going on.
I have to say that I don't dislike my shrinkage though because if it didn't shrink, it wouldn't be curls--and I do love my curls and their sproing factor. Never liked my hair when it was relaxed, it felt so dead and limp. You just can't have everything lol

endlessly
February 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM
My hair is about an inch from classic length, but it still doesn't feel "long enough" to me. Strange, I know! It didn't really feel long until about hip length and even then, I still kept wanting it even longer. Honestly, I don't know when it will ever feel "long"...maybe when I'm stepping on it?

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2014, 08:51 PM
If it's long enough to pull into a proper ponytail, it's long.

If it's waist length, it's pretty long.

If it's tailbone length, it's very long.

If it's classic, it's holy cow long.

If it's knee, it's oh my gosh, holy cow, look-at-that-hair long.

If it's beyond knee... I have no words.

dancingpoet
February 13th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Something that I noticed is that I find that hair looks longer on everyone else. I'll see somebody's hair and think "Oh, look how long and nice that is I wonder when my hair will be that long..." and then I realize that my hair is longer than theirs. Weird. (And I'm on the tall side, too, so it really doesn't make that much sense)

spirals
February 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM
LauraLongLocks, best description ever.

PraiseCheeses
February 13th, 2014, 11:07 PM
"Long" consistently seems to be 6 inches longer than my present length. :p

In public on others, I notice hair as "long" when it's around tailbone. If it's particularly thick, healthy, or an unusual color it catches my attention around waist. :)

cygnet19
February 13th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I consider any healthy shiny hip length and more hair as long :)...but thats just me!! mine seems to be stuck at waist :(

LauraLongLocks
February 14th, 2014, 06:07 AM
LauraLongLocks, best description ever.

;)

It must be another case of hair dysmorphia... seems like several of us here have it...

trolleypup
February 18th, 2014, 06:11 PM
This old chestnut. As usual, it is generating some strange answers.

Firstly, around 90% of board members are women, and women mostly have long hair to begin with, more or less. This drives many to come up with answers that separate LHC long hair from ordinary long hair, because we all see long hair every day, just not exceptionally long hair. I think that a more objective PoV is that scores of women you see in the street every day have long hair, albeit they aren't committed to growing it, and will let their hairdresser hack loads of it off without question.

I have (barely) waist length hair that is probably terminal length, probably because it is very fine (and has always been like that) and is liable to break. But of course, that isn't long! And yes, I'm a guy, but hair is hair. No, only hip length or tailbone (or whatever) is long (yeah, right). There have to be women out there whose hair is very similar, except that most of them probably have been told that they have the wrong type of hair to grow out and took that to heart.

For years I had hair that was 'long for a guy', until I decided to grow it out based on a comment from a girl (yes, the same comment, she told me it was 'long for a guy'). So, I did, and now what? It's not long unless I can grow it beyond what my genetics allow?

Men seldom ponder this existential question, we have long hair when some poor misguided fool tells us they think it's TOO long, LOL!!
Double standard here. On men, past mid-back is long, past tailbone for women.

And this is in part because long hair is so common here in both the general population and several cultural groups.

I think, for me, somewhere around tailbone I stopped thinking "longer than me is long".

hypersensitive
February 18th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Past waist is long to me, unless you have a short torso. It's all about proportions! Hip and beyond is long!

Michiru
February 18th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Probably hip since I've had BS most of my life.

truepeacenik
February 18th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I have a two system scale, too.

I think of long hair as "comment-worthy," so for men that arrives earlier than women by about six inches. (Local length customs aside)
So the male with just past shoulder is societally defined as long haired. And maybe the woman, but again, not comment-worthy.

I think I'm giving men points for bucking society once they are at that weird bob all the Phishheads had in 95-99.

Women, I see as bucking trend (vogue article in another thread aside) at about midback.

Then I go to Bay Area meets and many men have more length than I. ;)

butterflybutton
February 19th, 2014, 04:27 AM
I go by the hairstylists guides for hair length.

Any thing shoulder and above is short, to APL is mid length, to bsl/mb is long, then to waist/hip is extra long. Beyond that is super long.

And below classic is amazing! :D

katelinn
February 19th, 2014, 04:58 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, just the first pages. For me long hair is waist and whatever comes after. Shorter than waist is to me not long but "halflong" as tlover said on the first or second page. I am a Norwegian and we also use the term "halv langt" (half long) My hair is getting close to hip, still not long enough...not sure if it will ever be "long enough".

clioariane
February 19th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I think as soon as my hair hits BSL I'll consider it long. Right now I think I'm about APL, but I can't really tell LOL. But this got me wondering - when does hair become "long" to all of you guys? What I consider long might be considered short by the rest of you. :) I want your opinions.
I agree, BSL seems long enough to consider it 'long hair' in my book. Good look growing it out!

Majormiles
February 19th, 2014, 05:36 AM
It's funny because now I am at bsl I think that mid back is long, but I thought bsl was long when I was at apl...forever chasing the dream!

DweamGoiL
February 19th, 2014, 02:20 PM
In my book:

Short = above shoulders
Medium Length = Above BSL

All the markers below should be in good condition:

Long = Below BSL
Jaw Dropping Long = Below hip

Sofialu
February 19th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Mine is just past APL and people that don't see me regularly have commented that it's "so long" but because its my own hair and my goal (at the moment) is waist length then I don't consider it long at all yet.

Leslieslsa
February 19th, 2014, 02:38 PM
My hair is just now nearing tailbone and I am starting to feel like it is long again finally.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 03:11 PM
In my book:

Short = above shoulders
Medium Length = Above BSL

All the markers below should be in good condition

Long = Below BSL
Jaw Dropping Long = Below hip

I agree with this. Its funny, I always thought of Angelina Jolie as a long hair but I looked harder recently and she is mostly between APL and BSL. I used to think anything below APL was long but my perceptions have changed. I think BSL is my new marker for long.

Sillage
February 19th, 2014, 03:33 PM
For me short at or above the chin, medium is from chin to APL and long is anything below APL. Really long is waist+ :)

Dessi
April 8th, 2014, 06:12 AM
When I was at Mid-back length I felt like my hair is super short and now when I'm at Hip I feel like my hair is my normal hair again.
Whatever:
Short - Shoulder to APL
Medium - APL to Waist
Long - Hip to TBL (I'm passing hip and I don't feel like my hair is long at all)
Anything beyond TBL is really long.

MadeiraD
April 8th, 2014, 06:18 AM
APL to BSL to be honest is when I consider it long

Gaelle27
April 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure anymore. I use to think that short hair was above shoulder, medium between shoulder and BSL, long hair was everything below and very long below waist. Now, I'm between waist and hip, and I think my hair looks short.
LHC, what have you done to me!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Larki
April 8th, 2014, 08:04 AM
To me, anything longer than waist is long. I've had my hair between waist and hip most of my life, so seeing anything shorter than that just feels "short" to me.

flemeister
April 8th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure anymore. I use to think that short hair was above shoulder, medium between shoulder and BSL, long hair was everything below and very long below waist. Now, I'm between waist and hip, and I think my hair looks short.
LHC, what have you done to me!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm getting like that as well. :D

Had short hair (buzz cut) all my life, been growing it out for two years now. My first time as (becoming? :rolleyes:) a longhair. :)

Used to think of anything about SL and below as long, but now that I'm a bit past APL, my perspective has changed. Now I think of MBL/WL as "long", and I'm sure this will change again once I get to these lengths. :o

chen bao jun
April 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM
I've been on LHC almost two years and I don't think my perspective on length is changing but what length I would be satisfied with on ME is changing.
I came on here wanting brastrap length hair stretched (or straightened) which is a length I had for many years. I never even thought about getting longer hair than that because I didn't think it was possible. Now I've hit that goal and I realize I would really like my hair to get to waist, which I never even dreamed about before (don't like to make myself dissatisfied by dreaming about impossible things). I even realize I would like my hair to get to waist when curly, (which would mean it was hip or tailbone in actuality).
Soooo, a lot of the time instead of feeling like my hair is now long, which I always used to feel (and honestly when I look around me, my hair at brastrap is a long as 99% of people in real life that people consider to have long hair), I keep feeling its short! And have to look at old pictures to remind myself that it wasn't this length when I got on here and there IS progress. Lots of it.
I think it comes from constantly looking at pictures of hair on here that is so much longer AND in great condition.
What happens to me in real life now is that I constantly look around and feel that people's hair is in dreadful condition, more than I feel its actually short. I never would have noticed before who was flat-ironed to the point that they are fried, who had shreds of overbleached hair all over the back of their tee shirt and whose ends looked completely shot. I've just gotten so picky now that I know what's possible. I also have developed a dislike for 'Pantene commercial hair'--you know, those curling iron and hair sprayed looking 'curls'. So what does that leave? Not much.
Of course I don't say anything and I actually don't care how they do their hair so long as they like it, but I do keep thinking, "I would never want my hair to look like that" while on LHC I look and go "Oooooh and aaaaah." I also feel startled when I hear people keep saying how hair is impossible to keep nice at longer lengths (more than brastrap) because of course I see really nice hair at longer lengths as a routine thing on here.

dellad
April 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I used to think anything longer than BSL was long. Now, it has to be longer than WL to be considered long. Mid-thigh and longer is still "super-long" to me.

SkyChild
April 8th, 2014, 04:35 PM
On me? Shoulder length is long!
On other people? Anything from waist down.

two_wheels
April 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM
SkyChild- off-topic thanks for teaching me a new word 'oxter'!

Waist is the first point that looks long to me on my body. On other people, I see it as long when it's shorter in reality. Hair dysmorphia?

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 8th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I don't know... lol people say may hair is long but it doesn't seem that long to me.

petitepraline
April 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I would consider anything longer than waist long.

Violet Raine
April 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
'Long' for me is anything longer than hip-length.

AmyBeth
April 8th, 2014, 07:58 PM
To me, anytime I see anyone with shoulder length or longer, it's long. Imagine finding a shoulder length hair in you food! Ewww! However, on myself, at about an inch from BCL, I sometimes feel like it's long, and sometimes I feel like I have a long way to go.

WagonX
April 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I've had short hair for so long that it feels "long" once I start getting spit curl sideburns! Maybe that's more "shaggy," really. I start noticing people's hair as LONG when it's BSL or longer.

Ingrid
April 8th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I guess my view is:
SL and shorter - short;
anything around APL, BSL, MBL and WL - medium length;
BCL, TBL, Classic - long;
Thigh, Knee, Calf, Ankle - super long!

AlleyKitten
April 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I had my hair down at the office today for the first time, and my boss said "Wow! I had no idea your hair was that long!" and I narrowly avoided saying "Eh, it's not that long" because LHC has spoiled me with all the gorgeous knee+ hair pics! My own hair just doesn't feel long anymore... but when I see TB-length hair "in the wild" I always think how long it looks! So it definitely depends -- my idea of what long is for me grows faster than my hair, but on anybody else it looks long after waist or hip.

AuroraRory
April 9th, 2014, 01:44 AM
I had my hair down at the office today for the first time, and my boss said "Wow! I had no idea your hair was that long!" and I narrowly avoided saying "Eh, it's not that long" because LHC has spoiled me with all the gorgeous knee+ hair pics! My own hair just doesn't feel long anymore... but when I see TB-length hair "in the wild" I always think how long it looks! So it definitely depends -- my idea of what long is for me grows faster than my hair, but on anybody else it looks long after waist or hip.

Yep, totally agree with this whole post! My friends also seem to have a different idea of "long hair" compared to me. When I started growing out my hair, I thought mid-back length hair was pretty long. Now that I've been growing it for years, I would agree with everyone saying that waist length hair is loooong :)

IGIT
April 10th, 2014, 09:57 AM
somewhat waist is long to me!

SunnyIC
April 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I used to think waist was long on everybody (and on me I still think it may be, but I'm quite short and have almost-almost armpit length hair), but since (possibly) summer 2013 when I started to pay more attention to hair and length I think waist length is probably medium now. Between hip length and tailbone length is what I now consider long. Medium is between collarbone and waist, and super long is anything after tailbone. But my views changed so much after seeing so many people with gorgeous, super dreamy long hair here. Where I live waist length hair is probably super long since no one here has hair that long.