PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of collagen pills?

GoldberryHair
February 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM
So I take Biotin but I've never heard of collagen pills.

My mom has thin fine hair and the last time she got her hair done her salon lady recommended taking these...

Any words?

walterSCAN
February 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Never heard of them, but now you've got me wondering if they'd help my wrinkly PP belly... :laugh:

MissBubble
February 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I have tried collagen in liquid form, drinking it. My mother was taking it as she had good results in various things, skin, hair, nails, her knee that had undergone surgery...
I only took it for 3-4 weeks and I saw improvement in nails and skin. My hair was also more shiny and soft but it was not enough to see any growth.

panffle
February 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Collagen is just protein. It gets broken down by the stomach acids, so it's more like you're getting the amino acids (probably from hydrolyzed collagen, which is what I believe is in most collagen supplements).

Anje
February 7th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Collagen is just protein. It gets broken down by the stomach acids, so it's more like you're getting the amino acids (probably from hydrolyzed collagen, which is what I believe is in most collagen supplements).
More to the point, it's not particularly high-quality protein. (That is, don't consider it a dietary protein supplement. It lacks several amino acids that your body needs you to eat.) I imagine it's not substantially different from eating gelatin, which people do from time to time and claim that it helps their hair and nails, too.

You can try it if you want. It won't hurt anything except possibly your wallet.

Carolyn
February 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Meijers has it. About a year ago I got 2 bottles on a BOGO deal. I finished off the 2 bottles but didn't see that it did anything for me :shrug: I decided not to keep taking it.

SkyChild
February 8th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Funnily enough I saw collagen liquid (there weren't pills) for the first time in a shop yesterday. It was £3.50 for 100ml. The bottle said to drink one bottle a day for at least 8 weeks to see any difference in hair and nails. That seems pricey to me. It is essentially just protein (I suppose eating/drinking it would be better than having it injected into your face) but doesn't seem like it would be worth the money for me. Maybe when I'm older and wrinkly or my hair is growing really slowly I would change my mind

YamaMaya
February 8th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I'm sure your body makes collegen all on it's own, you just need vit C to help support collegen production.