PDA

View Full Version : Blow drying

cdonald2
February 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Is it really that damaging to your hair? i find mine looks best when its been blow dried with medium heat (on damp hair only)

maybe twice every other week or so....

i just dont want to do anything that will slow down possible growth :( i wanna get to bsl ASAP! after that its easy for me since thats the length when the awkwardness goes away

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I started blow drying this winter. I use mine on the cool or warm setting and just try to get my hair damp-dry instead of dripping wet. So far, I don't think it's damaging my hair, but only time will tell. I try to remember to spray heat protectant before I use it, just in case.

Rio040113
February 6th, 2014, 08:40 PM
There was a pretty decent thread on this, not too long ago. If I remember rightly, air drying is less damaging to the cuticle, while blow drying (on cool/low) is less damaging to the cortex. Leaving hair wet for long periods of time can damage the CMC complex(?) and weaken the hair. (This is all from memory, so I hope I'm getting this right!). I turbie my hair until it's barely damp, oil it lightly then blow dry for 5 minutes on cool. I don't blow dry until it's 'bone dry' but just so it's not wet, if that makes sense? In the Summer I'm hoping my hair will dry quickly enough that I can skip the blow drying, I'm just lazy though :D

Addy
February 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM
My very short hair looks better blown dry on low. I will blow it dry in the winter months if I have to go outside right after a shower. I blow it out about once or twice a week at most.

cdonald2
February 6th, 2014, 09:16 PM
wow :) thankyou for the informative answers.... ive been beating myself up over using it, but im glad that in some ways its beneficial to hair too

PixieLinds
February 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Ive been letting mine air dry for the longest time. I hate using my blow dryer, because it takes ages to dry, even if its been air drying for a bit. Thick hair is for the birds!

Lirona
February 6th, 2014, 09:48 PM
There was a pretty decent thread on this, not too long ago. If I remember rightly, air drying is less damaging to the cuticle, while blow drying (on cool/low) is less damaging to the cortex. Leaving hair wet for long periods of time can damage the CMC complex(?) and weaken the hair. (This is all from memory, so I hope I'm getting this right!). I turbie my hair until it's barely damp, oil it lightly then blow dry for 5 minutes on cool. I don't blow dry until it's 'bone dry' but just so it's not wet, if that makes sense? In the Summer I'm hoping my hair will dry quickly enough that I can skip the blow drying, I'm just lazy though :D

Here's the link to the scientific study Rio is remembering (which she did get right from memory): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/. And here are a couple articles in less technical language regarding it: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/08/could-air-drying-actually-damage-your.html, http://www.jadabeauty.com/beautybuzz/2013/08/13/is-air-drying-your-hair-actually-worse-than-blow-drying/

In a nutshell... blow drying on low could actually be better for your hair than letting it sit wet for a long period of time. Interesting, huh? So don't worry too much. :) The whole point of having long hair is to ENJOY it, including how it looks, in my opinion. If you like it better blow-dried, set it on low and go for it!

Nadine <3
February 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I just started using my blow dryer on cool just for my newly cut bangs. I haven't noticed any damage and it forces my cowlick into submission.

Tini'sNewHair
February 7th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I will only do it in winter and maybe when my hair is long enough that it will take to long for it to dry :)

Johannah
February 7th, 2014, 02:35 AM
If you can hold your hand in front of your blow dryer without getting burned, it should be okay.

Firefox7275
February 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM
It depends how you blow fry. Damage comes from more than one source: the concentrated/ direct heat, the over drying or drying out too fast, the repeated use of a bristle brush on weakened wet hair.

On the one hand it's possible leaving hair wet too long fatigues the cuticle, on the other heat styling can cause bubble hair and cuticle cracking.

lapushka
February 7th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Blowdrying isn't harmful or damaging if you blowdry on cool to warm (you should be able to hold your hand in the airstream for a long time without it starting to burn). Also don't blowdry on dripping wet hair. Hair should be damp, preferably towel dry (15 to 20 min. in a turbie towel). It's best to airdry for a while as well before actually blowdrying so the hair is 40 to 50% dry already. It shortens your blowdry time considerably.

Diffusing (on cool to warm) has been part of my routine for many many years. I have yet to see damage. In the last year: no split ends, and no white dots!

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I'm a wintertime blow dryer myself. I use heat protector and I'm guilty I like my heat setting. I do get my hair towel dried before blow drying. I've noticed my hair doesn't have damage yet from it. I don't do it all the time just now and then. I think moderation and heat protector are key.

Rio040113
February 7th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Here's the link to the scientific study Rio is remembering (which she did get right from memory): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/. And here are a couple articles in less technical language regarding it: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/08/could-air-drying-actually-damage-your.html, http://www.jadabeauty.com/beautybuzz/2013/08/13/is-air-drying-your-hair-actually-worse-than-blow-drying/

In a nutshell... blow drying on low could actually be better for your hair than letting it sit wet for a long period of time. Interesting, huh? So don't worry too much. :) The whole point of having long hair is to ENJOY it, including how it looks, in my opinion. If you like it better blow-dried, set it on low and go for it!

Aha, there you go! Thanks Lirona :D And I agree, you definitely should have a good balance between enjoying your hair and keeping it healthy!