PDA

View Full Version : Hat Hair (styles)

maybeinthemtns
February 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for hairstyles that can fit under a baseball hat? I work at a restaurant in the mornings, and we are required to wear caps at all times. Immediately after work I have to run (well, power-walk as fast as I can) to class. I have to rock whatever was going on under my hat for the rest of the day, since I have no time to do anything but run for it! (Luckily, I prefer a more artfully disheveled look - which is what I tell myself my chronic hat hair looks like. :P ) I have just reached BSL length, and I am making a real effort to keep my hair up, but I am getting tired of a French braid or an English braid every day. My hair is fine but thickish, so just sticking a bun through the hole in the back of the cap doesn't work - there's just too much hair. Does anyone have any suggestions? Even the simplest ideas would be great - I am just getting sick of having the exact same hairstyle every day.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM
A Hypno bun is quite flat on the back of the head, maybe try that?

melusine963
February 6th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Heidi braids (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7hFcRsWliA) (you don't actually need hair elastics at the start of each braid), or a fake crown braid would probably fit under a hat.

maybeinthemtns
February 6th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Oooh, the hypno bun is cool-looking, too! I'll give that a shot. I'm a little bun-challenged, it seems, but it does look flat enough, thanks!

Didn't even think of Heidi braids - those will definitely fit under my hat, thank you!

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Perhaps a combination braid..that is lace braid each side, join in the middle, French braid down to the ends.

A lace crown braid might work too.

maybeinthemtns
February 6th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I remember trying the combination braid a while ago, and I couldn't get the "joining the braids" part to look very nice, and then I got annoyed and gave up, and forgot all about that style, haha. But I have become much better at braiding since then, so I'll give it another go. And it will definitely fit under a hat. Thank you!

melusine963
February 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM
A plain cinnabun, held with spin pins is the flattest style I know. That should also fit under your hat.

Stiria
February 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Perhaps a tucked french braid could work. The flattest style I know is the braided flutterby (torringpaige). I dont know if Your hair is long enough for them, but it may be worth a try.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM
See if you can get a larger ball cap so your hair isn't getting mushed? And then maybe swap for a cute hat for class? It's winter after all!

maybeinthemtns
February 7th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I don't think it's long enough for a real flutterby, but I could probably work out a decent-looking half/fake. Maybe just leave a bit at the bottom loose, braid it and then wrap that around the half-one. I've never heard of that hairstyle before - it's so neat-looking. Thank you!

maybeinthemtns
February 7th, 2014, 12:48 PM
It's cold where I live, I have a ton of winter hats, for all styles, occasions, and weather conditions, haha. But winter lasts forever here! Well, not forever, but it seems like it's winter most of the year. If I waited for summer to wear pretty hairstyles, I'd only be able to wear them eight weeks out of the year (okay, winter's not that long, but it feels like it sometimes). I wear a lot of hats, but I want pretty hair sometimes, too, even if I am going to have a hat on frequently and it's only visible for a few hours a day - which is kind of silly, I admit. :p

Anje
February 7th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I like low infinity buns to get my hair under the band of a hat (big head, no way I'd get my hair bunned inside a baseball cap). For hair that's not long enough for that, a pair of buns has less vertical bulk than one single bun.

maybeinthemtns
February 7th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I went digging around for some spin pins, to see if the cinnabun bun would fit, and found an old favorite hair-toy, which I bought forever ago and thought I had lost! So thank you, both for the suggestion, and for sending me off to dig through the bottom of my drawer. Unfortunately, the bun fits kind of funny under my hat, unless I put it up fairly high, which I think will give me a headache, but I'm so happy you gave me that suggestion anyway -- I found my neato Renn-faire spin-pin/thingie because of you. Thank you!

maybeinthemtns
February 7th, 2014, 01:10 PM
That's a really good idea. I have the same problem with my buns - they end up "sticking out" quite a bit, it seems, unless it's braided. But two buns should spread the hair out over my head a bit more, and I think it will work great. Thank you!

My mom is the same way, she can't wear hardly any hats - her head is somewhat big, at least in relation to hats, although it looks rather smallish because she has a ton of curly hair - which also takes up a ton of room, and makes it even harder for her to find hats that fit. People are always stunned when they put her hats on and realize how large they are. I'm always on the look out for cute hats for her, that will fit, but they are hard to come by!

Now I just have to get good at doing all these buns. I am bun-challenged. They look so easy to do when I watch the tutorials, and then when I try it I end up just sort of tying my own hair into a knot, or with an elaborate but utterly shapeless ball of hair. But my first few (okay, a lot more than just the first few) French braids were a disaster as well, so I have hope that I can improve my bunning skills as well!

GoddesJourney
February 7th, 2014, 03:47 PM
If you can get it all into a really low Gibson tuck, your hat will actually sit right on top of the rolled part. I've been toying with this lately, but I know I depend on the hair through the hole thing to help keep it on in the wind out on the boats.

maybeinthemtns
February 9th, 2014, 11:14 PM
If you can get it all into a really low Gibson tuck, your hat will actually sit right on top of the rolled part. I've been toying with this lately, but I know I depend on the hair through the hole thing to help keep it on in the wind out on the boats.

I haven't tried the Gibson tuck before, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea!

QMacrocarpa
February 10th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Perhaps you could pull your loose hair through the hole at the back of the cap and then make a center-held bun like a nautilus or lazy wrap? A disadvantage would be that you couldn't take the hat off until you took the bun down, though. A really low nautilus might be able to sit below the edge of your hat-- I find that my stick or whatever doesn't actually have to grab scalp hair for that bun to be comfortable and secure, so it can sit quite low. A braided bun is more compact for me than an unbraided one.

PurpleSunshine
February 10th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I have this same problem, I have to wear a baseball cap at work. I only wear my hair in a bun through the hole, which annoys me since it sticks out so much and sometimes hits things, or falls out slightly, and then I have to tighten it back up or sometimes if its near the end of the night, I put it into an english braid, I've never thought about trying some of the flat to the head styles, I might have to try some tomorrow.

maybeinthemtns
February 11th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I have this same problem, I have to wear a baseball cap at work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I just got so bored with my hairstyles. Glad someone else was inspired by this thread. :)

dulce
February 12th, 2014, 09:18 AM
A topsy tail pony or a topsy tail pony that is braided.You can use a topsy tail gadget or just your fingers.There is a demo on using just your fingers to make a topsy tail on utube.