PDA

View Full Version : Who has motivated someone else to grow their hair out?

Flournoy
February 6th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I was talking not he phone with my sixte recently and she said she is going to let her hair grow out (currently in a bob). She said she figured if I could deal with it then she could too and also joked that her brother shouldn't have the longest hair in the family. Thought it was kind of cool that she is going long because I have. Also have a buddy who is kind of growing it out. He keeps saying he wishes he had long hair and I keep telling him to go for it, but I don't think he'll ever really go "long".

Figured others here probably have similar experiences with all the awesome hair.

Covet
February 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I encouraged a friend to ditch her extensions and stop dying her rapidly thinning hair. Does that count? :)

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I don't think I have, but I would love to know if I have inspired someone!

makeminea99
February 6th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hmm, there's a couple of Youtubers who inspired me to grow longer: Torrin Paige, JJJ Longhair, and Habioku. Actually seeing someone doing styles on their own heads was really inspiring and I still check out their videos regularly to get new ideas, or re-visit styles I haven't worn in a while. Those lovelies have saved me from making an ill-advised chop on many an occasion! :)

GoddesJourney
February 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I encouraged my best friend for years to grow it back out and passed her a lot of knowledge I picked up from here about how to be happy with it. Hers is very fine so she deals with different issues than I do, like flatness and stringiness when it's oily. None of what I've learned about splits, stray waves/curls or poofiness was going to help her. She grew it out to APL and then she donated it. At least now she knows how to get past the awkward stuff and take better care of what she has. I also talked another girl who used to room with my parents into growing it out. She has very beautiful fine and blonde hair, but she kept it short because she (although very smart and studious) felt she wasn't taken as seriously by her male colleagues when she presents herself as more feminine. The world of physics is quite small so most people she would work with know her or someone who knows her by now. I told her to enjoy her beautiful hair and people will have to get used to it. Now she has probably close to BSL hair and is married and has a permanent teaching position at a good university. I take credit for the hair part! :D

ETA: My mom! How could I forget? I got her paying attention to reduce the thinning of her hair. She now stays away from sulphates and silicones and has moved to much more gentle coloring methods. I assure her that there is no such thing as "at my age…" when it comes to length of hair. I even cut it for her whenever I'm in town because I will cut the right amount and I work for free. Granted, she cut mine for me all growing up.

LanaBanana
February 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM
My mom is now growing hers past shoulder length, because she wants to be able to do buns with hair sticks like I've been doing!

GoddesJourney
February 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM
…and torrinpage is awesome and makes me want to love my hair more.

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2014, 04:40 PM
My friend Dorothy. I've helped her and her hair has grown a lot. I did get a chance to trim her ends up.

Vampyria
February 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I've most probably motivated my friend to stop dyeing it, since I talked about it a lot and after a while she announced that she doesn't dye her hair any more either. We were both redheads and we also had black hair once at the same time (she's been dyeing her hair before I met her-so more than 10 years). So we are both brunettes now (well I henna, but it doesn't make much difference- it's more coppery brown than red.)

She has a bit longer hair than I do and split ends, but doesn't find my advice to use coconut oil very appealing, yet ;).

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2014, 05:38 PM
As for who has motivated me, at first it was Jennifer Connelly in the movie Labyrinth, then as my hair outgrew hers it was Hypnotica, Torrinpage, Arc69, WSL and JJJ, also my grandmother who had Classic length hair. I am also getting curious as to how long I can grow my hair and still have it looking good.

And when will it feel long?

You know you are a longhair when - you are at waist and it only feels like a medium length, lol.

ooglipoo
February 6th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I had a co-worker who wanted to grow her hair out, and she made it from boy cut to chin, she got mad at me for something and cut it all back off. No skin off my nose!

PraiseCheeses
February 6th, 2014, 11:49 PM
[*snip*]

ETA: My mom! How could I forget? I got her paying attention to reduce the thinning of her hair. She now stays away from sulphates and silicones and has moved to much more gentle coloring methods. I assure her that there is no such thing as "at my age…" when it comes to length of hair. I even cut it for her whenever I'm in town because I will cut the right amount and I work for free. Granted, she cut mine for me all growing up.

My mom is now growing hers past shoulder length, because she wants to be able to do buns with hair sticks like I've been doing!

My mom as well! She saw how easy it was to put up nicely with sticks and forks, and now uses catnip to cover/tint her greys. She keeps commenting on how much she loves not having to go to a stylist and how quickly she can get it out of her way! She's also looking forward to figuring out what her true ponytail circumference is; she's been getting it thinned out and layered for a while now. While I haven't shown her this website (she doesn't spend much time on the computer), I have told her about it and all of the lovely and truly inspiring ladies here who have proven that yes, you CAN grow a beautiful head of hair in your 50s and beyond!

owly
February 7th, 2014, 12:17 AM
My sister motivated me to grow my hair out. I cut my hair really short this past summer out of frustration; it was way too damaged from years of dying. She's been growing her hair out (benign neglect) and it's gone from a bob to BSL in like a year and a half because her hair grows insanely fast. Just seeing her pretty hair and quick growth motivated me to grow mine too.

Of course, her hair grows insanely quickly and is a beautiful wurly texture. Meanwhile, my hair growth is average and is boringly straightish. Also, her hair is really, ridiculously thick.

I swear I'm not jealous....:p

SkyChild
February 7th, 2014, 12:54 AM
My sister motivated me to grow mine too. She's at MBL just now but is planning on cutting it all off!
Most people that know her are horrified but of course I'm going for the "It's your hair, do what you like with it." angle because it means I'll have longer hair than her for the first time ever! *wicked*
Seriously though, when my hair is longer I hope to be able to do more with it and get others to grow theirs too

ManeSqueeze
February 7th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I was looking through photos of my mother, and she had classic length hair when she was pregnant with me, which inspired me to grow out my own hair. It's been about 8-10 years since then (I started at a pixie), and now my mother is growing out her own hair from her pixie cut. It's now to BSL! I think it helps that all of the siblings living with her are now old enough to not have perpetual sticky hands.

chen bao jun
February 7th, 2014, 02:45 PM
My mom! I encouraged her to go natural and helped her with thinning. Now she has so much hair, much more than she ever had before. It's at least APL. She still always wear a wig, though, she doesn't want to be natural in public.