PDA

View Full Version : Tangle trouble last weekend

Venefica
February 6th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I had a horrible weekend. I was going out to play roleplaying games on Friday and did not have the time to brush my hair properly so I just washed it and put it up in a bun but when I took it all down Saturday morning to brush it out it just tangled up into a complete mess and I spent hours and hours all weekend trying to get that tangle out, by Monday I gave up and was afraid I would have to cut all my hair off and I was devastated, I am so proud of my hair, it have not been easy taking care of it, tending it and growing it. When I was 23 years old I had a break down and cut all my hair of, I decided to rise above that and grow my hair out to prove to myself I could do it, and I did it. In addition I have always wished or really long hair and also I am a woman who do not often get compliments on my looks, but my hair that get compliments, that is one part of me which is beautiful, the thought of cutting it of was horrible. Now I went to Pink hairdresser saloon and they manged to get the tangle out and I was terrified that the three hour session of tugging and brushing would do allot of damage to my hair, but it seams that thank the Gods I have dodged the bullet. My hair do not look any thinner. Anyway I wanted to post a picture showing how my hair look after Pink saved it. I have also cut of two inches or so of the bottom as one side of my head grow hair faster than the other and it had gotten uneven. I am just so happy my hair is saved I have to post about it. So here are two pictures of how my hair turned out once I got the tangle out and my hair trimmed. I have measured it and it is still at just under 11 cm around the ponytail, that is 4,1 inches so I do not seam to have lost much hair there but perhaps it is a little bit thinner further down but I do not think that it is visible if so.

http://s13.postimg.org/4giointkn/IMG_1138.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image upload no compression (http://postimage.org/)

http://s28.postimg.org/ysd7ra9hp/IMG_1140.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image (http://postimage.org/)

Kina
February 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM
So glad you were able to save it! It looks great and it's so long!!!!

Agnes Hannah
February 6th, 2014, 01:47 PM
That must have been an absolute nightmare for you, so glad it was sorted! I have seen lots of your pics on this site, and I must admit you have gorgeous hair, its so long and thick and a gorgeous colour. I can see why you are proud of it. Keep growing!

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I'm so happy you had a happy outcome, Venefica! It would be a pity if your hair had had to be cut..even a little. The tiny bit that did come off just helps it look even more splendid.

Nesoi
February 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Oh, what a relief for you! You have the most astonishing hair, I have often thought so. Yay for Pink!!!

Panth
February 6th, 2014, 02:16 PM
It's looking great (and so long and thick!).

Next time, get a super-coney conditioner, dilute it a little if it is very thick, and apply masses. Then attempt to comb it out - use a wide-toothed comb, with fingercombing for the worst bits. I've combed out year-old dreadlocks with that method (though combs were too weak for the dreads and we had to use a fork intead...).

swearnsue
February 6th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Thank goodness you didn't have to cut that beautiful hair!

MissBubble
February 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Amazing hair! Glad you rescued it!

Venefica
February 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Next time, get a super-coney conditioner, dilute it a little if it is very thick, and apply masses. Then attempt to comb it out - use a wide-toothed comb, with fingercombing for the worst bits. I've combed out year-old dreadlocks with that method (though combs were too weak for the dreads and we had to use a fork intead...).

Thank you or the advice I appreciate it and I will keep it in mind.

Thank you all or your kind words it warms the heart, your comments really make me feel warm in my heart. :D

lapushka
February 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Well thank goodness you were able to have someone save it for you. It means the world to me that my mother does my hair for me (I'm disabled), but it is always risky putting your hair into someone else's hands! I'm glad you could trust your hair salon and that she cut a minimal amount off. Your hair looks really lovely, and my gosh it's so long. You're well on your way to knee length! :thumbsup:

Venefica
February 6th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Thank you for your kind words. Yeah I am lucky to have found some good hairdressers who do not cut more than they should, I really do like Pink they do quality work.

Stiria
February 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I am glad it worked out! Your hair is oh so gorgeous:crush:

joflakes
February 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Beautiful hair, you're so lucky it was saveable!

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Venefica, your hair is absolutely phenomenal! :) I'm so happy you and Pink hairdressers saved it!
I think we should sticky this thread for troubleshooting purposes: the horrible tangling can happen to anyone, but especially to long-haireds, and it would be a shame if they grabbed scissors instead of getting help.

If I run into this problem, I think coating the tangle/knot in very light slippy cone serum or mineral oil would be my first move and then slowly and painstakingly finger-combing. It might be necessary to wash/clarify after.
Even dreadlocks can still be untangled in many cases. It just takes many hours of hard work.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I am so glad they managed to save your glorious hair, it is magnificent! Absolutely!

On a side note, the last time I had long hair and went to the hair dresser who washed and matted it into one huge tangle. (Honestly, don't they know that long hair tangles when scrunched up and scrubbed on top of the head? Don't they get training in handling long hair?) They tried to detangle it, gave up and announced to me that sorry, but they needed to cut 10 inches off to get rid of the tangle.

I replied that it would happen over my dead body.

So.... it took them 3 hours to detangle it with much pain and pulling... it was pre LHC days or I would have told them to stop as soon as they started scrubbing it the wrong way in the first place. They pulled heaps of hair out while detangling.

If I went to a hair dresser for a trim now I would wash it before I went and arrive with damp hair, would also make sure it was detangled myself before they touched it.

Sorry - thread derailment...

Venefica
February 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM
On a side note, the last time I had long hair and went to the hair dresser who washed and matted it into one huge tangle. (Honestly, don't they know that long hair tangles when scrunched up and scrubbed on top of the head? Don't they get training in handling long hair?) They tried to detangle it, gave up and announced to me that sorry, but they needed to cut 10 inches off to get rid of the tangle.

That is just horrible! Many hairdresser do not get training in handling long hair. The ones at Pink actually knew this and said they would not wash my hair in the sink, it is to long to do so practically without the risk of tangling.

So.... it took them 3 hours to detangle it with much pain and pulling... it was pre LHC days or I would have told them to stop as soon as they started scrubbing it the wrong way in the first place. They pulled heaps of hair out while detangling.

I did not loose heaps of hair while detangling but off course some hair ended up on the floor, however I seam to have gotten lucky and not lost much thickness with that, but then my hair is like that it grow allot and shed allot and still remains very thick. I am very lucky that way. I am sorry to hear what you went through though.

If I went to a hair dresser for a trim now I would wash it before I went and arrive with damp hair, would also make sure it was detangled myself before they touched it.

This also saves allot of money with most hairdressers, with the ones I use I save two thirds of the cost for simple trims to my bangs and such if I wash my hair myself first and not have them do it.

Venefica, your hair is absolutely phenomenal! I'm so happy you and Pink hairdressers saved it!
I think we should sticky this thread for troubleshooting purposes: the horrible tangling can happen to anyone, but especially to long-haireds, and it would be a shame if they grabbed scissors instead of getting help.

Thank you or your kind words. I do think a thread about how to deal with monster tangles might be a good idea for they do occur.

If I run into this problem, I think coating the tangle/knot in very light slippy cone serum or mineral oil would be my first move and then slowly and painstakingly finger-combing. It might be necessary to wash/clarify after.
Even dreadlocks can still be untangled in many cases. It just takes many hours of hard work.

I tried this it did not work. Eventually the brute force method combined with detangler lotion was what did the trick...allot of detangler lotion.

To all of you thank you for you compliments. :D

ooglipoo
February 6th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Wow! That head of hair!!! :jawdrop: I thought your buns were impressive, and then I saw it down...

cat11
February 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
This is a good story! Now If something like this happens to me or anyone I know I can tell them to go to a salon to get it untangled and not to panic.

Glad you got your hair fixed and it all turned out well, it doesn't look any worse for the wear at all.

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
That must have been an absolute nightmare for you, so glad it was sorted! I have seen lots of your pics on this site, and I must admit you have gorgeous hair, its so long and thick and a gorgeous colour. I can see why you are proud of it. Keep growing!

^what she said. I love you hair :)

Venefica
February 7th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Yeah if one get bad tangles there is hope, a good and skilled hairdresser can save your hair. Now I am lucky I have strong hair who can take a beating, but I do recommend that if a problem get out of hand that you go to a saloon as soon as possible before the problem increases and have them help you. Off course be careful what hairdresser you choose, it should be one who know long hair, but a skilled processional can help you.

Thank you Quasiquixotic, Cat11 and Ooglipoo for your compliments, it is very kind of you to say.

Dragon
February 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM
I'm glad you found a good hairdresser that could help you. It's looks great.

ErinLeigh
February 7th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I am so happy for you they untangled things. That must have been quite scary and I am sorry it happened :(
Your hair is really beautiful and and am just glad no harm came to it.

restless
February 7th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Oh, wow... that hair! Im so jealous :p

Glad to hear you got the tangles sorted out, it wouldve been a true pity having to cut such beautiful hair only because of stubborn tangles.

Johannah
February 7th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Your hair is absolutely stunning!! Happy you didn't need to cut it of!

ashke50
February 7th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear your hair was saved - and it looks amazing! So thick and shiny.

Venefica
February 8th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Thank you Dragon, ErinLeigh, Restless, Johannah and Ashke for your kind words.

tetisheri72
February 8th, 2014, 09:34 AM
.... Now I went to Pink hairdresser saloon and they manged to get the tangle out and I was terrified that the three hour session of tugging and brushing would do allot of damage to my hair, but it seams that thank the Gods I have dodged the bullet. My hair do not look any thinner. Anyway I wanted to post a picture showing how my hair look after Pink saved it. ...

So here's how much I like Pink, the singer. When I read this and first saw Pink in there, I wondered when she got a salon, or if it was the one she visited often. ;)

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
So glad you were able to save it! It looks great and it's so long!!!!

I agree with her. I'm so happy your hair was saved.

ravenreed
February 8th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Your hair is glorious! I second coating it in conditioner and then detangling next time. My hair mattes up at the drop of a hat and that has helped me more than once. One reason that I have to wet brush my hair is exactly what happened to you. Any tangles that dry in my hair are nearly impossible to remove.

KittyBird
February 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Thank goodness you didn't have to cut your hair! You have such a glorious mane! :heartbeat

I can sort of relate, I've had some pretty horrifying tangles in the past. When I was a teen, I had to cut out nape tangles several times. My hairdresser was always furious because my hair was so uneven due to me chopping off tangles, but I found it impossible to get the nape detangled. :o
I got some even worse tangles when I did heatless curls last year. The last time, almost two thirds of my hair ended up in one enormous, matted tangle, and it took a ton of coney conditioner and a few hours to comb it out. I was on the verge of tears the entire time because it was so frustrating, and my tender scalp was in agony. I stick to buns only nowadays, no more hair experiments. shudder:

Venefica
February 10th, 2014, 05:51 AM
So here's how much I like Pink, the singer. When I read this and first saw Pink in there, I wondered when she got a salon, or if it was the one she visited often.

Hehe. :)

I agree with her. I'm so happy your hair was saved.

Thank you me to I would have been devastated if I had to cut it.

Your hair is glorious! I second coating it in conditioner and then detangling next time. My hair mattes up at the drop of a hat and that has helped me more than once. One reason that I have to wet brush my hair is exactly what happened to you. Any tangles that dry in my hair are nearly impossible to remove.

Yeah I have learned my lesson to not wash my hair unless it is completely detangeled. Oh and thank you. :)

Thank goodness you didn't have to cut your hair! You have such a glorious mane!

Thank you for your kind words.

I can sort of relate, I've had some pretty horrifying tangles in the past. When I was a teen, I had to cut out nape tangles several times. My hairdresser was always furious because my hair was so uneven due to me chopping off tangles, but I found it impossible to get the nape detangled.
I got some even worse tangles when I did heatless curls last year. The last time, almost two thirds of my hair ended up in one enormous, matted tangle, and it took a ton of coney conditioner and a few hours to comb it out. I was on the verge of tears the entire time because it was so frustrating, and my tender scalp was in agony. I stick to buns only nowadays, no more hair experiments.

I have some annoying nape hair as well. Yeah I have also learned to keep my hair in burns and braids and not fall for the temptation to wear it loose much around the house if I am doing anything.