PDA

View Full Version : boar bristle round brush

ErinLeigh
February 5th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I have 2 round brushes coming to me. One of the regular ceramic type ones..and one that is boar bristle.
I have never used boar bristles before. Do I need to use this one only on dry hair? The implication for the sale place and the reviews seemed to indicate it can used used for blowouts but I am unsure as I have read here about possible damage to hair when used wrong.
Should I dry with regular brush and just finish with the boar bristle? And what are benefits of a round BBB or any BBB? I was a little surprised to see it actually.

I know very few here blow dry but if anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated.
I am hoping maybe some of you dry your bangs :)

Cederin
February 5th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I cant answer for the blowdrying part, but this is my experience with boar bristle! :)

I only use my boar bristle when hair is completely detangled with a comb, and often I use it to spread out my leave-in when my hair is semi-dry so it gets everywhere on my ends, and also to spread out the natural oils from the roots when it starts to get a bit greasy. It catches up oils/product really well, and another great thing about it is that it smoothes out your hair. I always use it to comb my hair into ponytails and buns to make it look soft and even :)

ErinLeigh
February 6th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Your hair looks lovely in avatar. Lets hope I get some of that shine! :)

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I have 2 round brushes coming to me. One of the regular ceramic type ones..and one that is boar bristle.
I have never used boar bristles before. Do I need to use this one only on dry hair? The implication for the sale place and the reviews seemed to indicate it can used used for blowouts but I am unsure as I have read here about possible damage to hair when used wrong.
Should I dry with regular brush and just finish with the boar bristle? And what are benefits of a round BBB or any BBB? I was a little surprised to see it actually.

I know very few here blow dry but if anyone has input it would be greatly appreciated.
I am hoping maybe some of you dry your bangs :)

Brushing should be done on dry, not damp or wet hair (hair is weakest when wet).

Also, the round bbb is meant for short hair. If you use a round bbb on, say, midback hair, you'll end up with a godawful mess (hair gets tangled when you brush).As Dr. Michael explains in his book "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" (Doubleday 1982) "Remember, too, that most manufacturers make hair brushes that are round or semi-round because these work best on short hair. Unfortunately, because you brush your hair with a flip of the wrist, when you use a round or semi-round brush this tangles long hair. So, if your hair is anything over 10 inches long, use a brush with a flat or elongated base and hold it with your thumb at the base to avoid a flipping motion, even though this flip of the wrist is okay for shorter hair".

The benefits of using a boar bristle brush (no nylon!) are these:

your hair follicles are exercised which helps increase blood circulation, which promotes growth (especially done in the head down position)
distributes your hair's natural sebum down the length
removes dead cells, lint, dirt
with daily use, leaves your hair looking shiny and incredibly soft

A good bbb is worth its weight in gold...but not all bbbs are created equal. Some have thicker bristles, some longer. Some are very stiff, others not so much.

A good bbb should have an adequate number of rows (at least 5), should feel comfortable to hold, and the bunches of bristles should not be too close to each other (closely bunched boar bristles make it difficult to really brush the hair effectively). Your bbb should be flat on the bottom.

Naturally, the bbb is only as effective as you make it. Daily brushing is recommended for healthy hair. How many strokes you do is up to you. The thing is, be consistent with your strokes. If you do 50 a day, continue with 50 during the week.

Also, when brushing, always follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your free hand. This helps cut down the static caused by the brushing.

Above all, never brush your hair when wet and always, for the sake of your hair, detangle it with a wide tooth comb before beginning to brush.

I've been using bbbs for more than 40 years...and they've more than proven their worth. A bbb is the closest thing in nature that mimics the hair's structure.

~Abi~
February 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM
A good bbb is worth its weight in gold...but not all bbbs are created equal. Some have thicker bristles, some longer. Some are very stiff, others not so much.

A good bbb should have an adequate number of rows (at least 5), should feel comfortable to hold, and the bunches of bristles should not be too close to each other (closely bunched boar bristles make it difficult to really brush the hair effectively). Your bbb should be flat on the bottom.

Madora, I'm looking into purchasing my first bbb. Can you recommend a specific brand? Where can I purchase one?

SkyChild
February 6th, 2014, 09:48 AM
What Madora said.
I tend not to use mine every day as it makes my hair really greasy. But I'll use the night before and 5 minutes before washing. I use it to thoroughly spread out my sebum and it makes my hair mega soft and shiny. (so much so that I don't use any conditioner)

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 09:59 AM
~Abi~, I can't make any recommendations on brands, per se. My own brush was made by Goody, years ago. Some people here recommend brushes by Denman. Kent of London makes beautiful..and pricey pure bbbs.

From experience, I would recommend that you shop around..in person, not on line...for a boar bristle brush. Shopping in person is better because you can feel the bristles and get an idea of how stiff (or not) they are. (Press the bristles on your inner wrist). You can also see how the brush feels when you grasp it. Some brushes have awful handles (ergonomically speaking).

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply in your area, try there first.

Be sure the brush states somewhere (packaging or on the brush itself) that it is 100 pure bbb. Lots of manufacturers say their brushes are bbbs...but they mix in nylon. You don't want your hair near nylon!

Boar bristles come in many colors...black, brown, white, blonde. Thickness or thinness can vary too..as well as length of the bristles.

I found that a a long, rectangular bbb worked best for me and not a square or oval type. You want a brush that is pleasant to hold and doesn't weigh a lot.

PS Some members swear by the Mason Pearson line.

MissHoney
February 6th, 2014, 10:04 AM
I think the only use for any type of round brush is for using with a blow dryer, otherwise the shape is unncessary. I wouldn't recommend them for detangling or everyday brushing, because the round shape is intended to help tug and pull the hair taut.

swearnsue
February 6th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Be so careful with those darn round brushes. When my hair was short, maybe 3 or 4 inches long, I got one totally tangled in my hair. This was before I was taking care of my hair but still I panicked and had to cut some of my hair to get the thing out.

Just remembering it is giving me the heebie jeebies!

I bought my Denman from Sally's, it's a medium, pure bb, oval shape. I love it and it only cost about $20.

Madora, thank you for the warning about the flipping as you brush thing. I do that out of habit I guess, plus I get that extra little scritch on the scalp as I turn my wrist and dig in the bristles! I'll stop though.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Be so careful with those darn round brushes. When my hair was short, maybe 3 or 4 inches long, I got one totally tangled in my hair. This was before I was taking care of my hair but still I panicked and had to cut some of my hair to get the thing out.

Just remembering it is giving me the heebie jeebies!

I bought my Denman from Sally's, it's a medium, pure bb, oval shape. I love it and it only cost about $20.

Madora, thank you for the warning about the flipping as you brush thing. I do that out of habit I guess, plus I get that extra little scritch on the scalp as I turn my wrist and dig in the bristles! I'll stop though.

You're very welcome, swearnsue. I know this is hair heresy, but I really bear down with my brush when I brush in the upright position. It just feels so good! But I brush slowly.

ErinLeigh
February 6th, 2014, 11:44 AM
You're very welcome, swearnsue. I know this is hair heresy, but I really bear down with my brush when I brush in the upright position. It just feels so good! But I brush slowly.

Sue i can imagine your having a bad flashback! Those things can make some nasty tangles. I have to use the giant ones on my short to medium length and still have to be careful. The reason BF bought me new one is my current one gets hair caught between the brush and the handle and its a nightmare. I had to dispose of it and he tried to help. Sweet. But then I saw it was BBB hence the question and additional order.

I want a flat one now! When I saw The BBB ordered, I recalled Madora saying no wet hair for them and I wondered if I there would be a way make it work somehow or if it will need exchanged. The one I am getting is a huge 5inch diameter one but I still do not see it working correctly after reading responses.

I think my hair would benefit from a flat BBB. I may just get one at Sally's so I can feel the bristles and examine it personally. I brush dry hair upside down once a day and love it. Having a smoothing brush to distribute natural oils would be a luxurious addition. I am excited to try one. Madora I appreciate the instruction for correct use. I needed that information. Found it very helpful and It will help me in selecting a correct type.

Thank you all for replies about the round one. I had a feeling it would need exchanged or returned but wanted to verify first as They are a such a pain to return for me.

ErinLeigh
February 6th, 2014, 11:46 AM
By the way Madora, I love when you share from the GM book. That book is impossible to find so getting nuggets from it are golden. It's very interesting.

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 12:48 PM
By the way Madora, I love when you share from the GM book. That book is impossible to find so getting nuggets from it are golden. It's very interesting.

My pleasure, ErinLeigh! I'm always delighted when I can share more of Mr. Michael's tips. I only wish he had written more than one book!

Wosie
February 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I bought a Mason Pearson brush sometime ago with nylon. I wish I would've read the advice in this thread before I did. :S The nylon is pretty sharp and rough on my scalp. I just figured that it might be hard for a regular BBB to get down all the way to the scalp when your hair's wavy and rather thick.
What are the main downsides with nylon on your brush, except for the sharpness?

swearnsue
February 6th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I think nylon or any synthetic material causes more static in the hair. Static is bad because it make the cuticle stick out (not lay flat).

Cederin
February 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Your hair looks lovely in avatar. Lets hope I get some of that shine! :)

Thank you very much! :o

Wosie
February 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I bought a new, much-less-expensive-than-my-Mason-Pearson-brush BBB today. I really hope it'll work! It has no nylon in it, so at least it isn't ripping at my scalp anymore. =D

pixldust
February 8th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I de-tangle with a TT, then for putting my hair up I use an oval Kent BBB. However, mixed in with the boar bristles are a few springy nylon ball-tipped bristles. Would I be better swapping to purely BB?

PS Sorry for hijacking the thread :blossom:

Madora
February 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I de-tangle with a TT, then for putting my hair up I use an oval Kent BBB. However, mixed in with the boar bristles are a few springy nylon ball-tipped bristles. Would I be better swapping to purely BB?

PS Sorry for hijacking the thread :blossom:

Those nylon ball-tipped bristles have a tendency to snag hairs (because of the way they are made). Better to go with a pure boar bristle brush (but be sure you're happy with the stiffness or springiness of the boar bristles. Really stiff bristles didn't work for my thick hair. Also, the space between boar bristle clumps makes a difference on how easily (or not) the brush goes through your hair. If the boar bristles are too close together, your hair is harder to brush (in my own experience).

Also, detangling with a tt is not the most hair friendly thing to do with your hair. Using a wide tooth comb would be more hair friendly because it only has a limited number of tines. The tt (or any other brush) has too many teeth/bristles and can cause breakage if you just use it without detangling your hair with a comb first.

pixldust
February 8th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks very much for your advice Madora. Time to treat myself, and my hair, to a new brush :) One of the shops in my town do a decent range of Kent brushes so I'll have a look at the purely BB ones. It's very helpful to have some tips in how to choose the right one so thanks again.

Madora
February 8th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks very much for your advice Madora. Time to treat myself, and my hair, to a new brush :) One of the shops in my town do a decent range of Kent brushes so I'll have a look at the purely BB ones. It's very helpful to have some tips in how to choose the right one so thanks again.

Good luck with your bbb hunt, pixidust! Hope you find a good one.

Crimgirl
February 8th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I have used it on wet hair without issue!

pixldust
February 8th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Thank you :)

~Abi~
February 12th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Madora, thank you for those tips! Now to drag myself down to Sally's sometime in the near future....

diddiedaisy
February 13th, 2014, 01:36 AM
I'm a daily blow dryer too. However, I have never quite got the hang of round brushes, my hair always get tangled in them so I don't use them. I just use a rectangle medium sized denman brush that I've had for about 12 years!!! Its still good as new though and was worth every penny.