PDA

View Full Version : Balancing protein and moisture

Arwenlily
February 5th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Trying to find the right balance has been so difficult for me. My hair has been feeling a little stretchy lately so weekly I have been using Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. This is what my weekly routine has been looking like:

Sunday: Use botanical moisturizing no-poo cleanser, condition with GPB conditioner (leave on for 2-3 minutes), follow up with moisturizing conditioner (Maybe I shouldn't do this?)
Wednesday: Use no-poo cleanser, condition with moisturizing conditioner
Saturday: Use no-poo cleanser, condition with GPB conditioner (leave on for 2-3 minutes), follow up with a moisturizing conditioner (leave on for 1-2 minutes)

My hair still feels a little stretchy though in some parts, any advice?

Aderyn
February 5th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Perhaps try leave the GPB conditioner in a little longer or using it on Wednesday too and see that helps? You may need a deep condition in order to help. Just be careful not too overdo the protein.

Arwenlily
February 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Do you think I should try deep conditioning with the GPB? It says on the bottle for a deep condition to leave it on for 15 minutes, rinse and then shampoo and condition as usual.

ErinLeigh
February 5th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I am not an expert but if hair is still stretchy I would think using it as directed for deep conditioning could only help. It does sound like you still need protein.
You could build up slowly each week ..maybe 5 min, then 10, then the 15 if still needed. From what I understand this isn't a heavy protein treatment so you should be fine ramping it up until you get where you need to be.
Is this the one that can be used on dry hair per the bottle also pre shampoo? I sometimes get my products mixed up but was wondering.

sarahthegemini
February 6th, 2014, 04:33 AM
If your hair is overconditioned (I.e. in need of protein) why are you following up the protein conditioner with more conditioning products? That doesn't make sense?

Johannah
February 7th, 2014, 03:49 AM
If your hair is overconditioned (I.e. in need of protein) why are you following up the protein conditioner with more conditioning products? That doesn't make sense?

This is what I thought as well.

Arwenlily
February 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Idk, I read somewhere that protein is supposed to followed up with moisture. I guess I got that wrong.

Arwenlily
February 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I am not an expert but if hair is still stretchy I would think using it as directed for deep conditioning could only help. It does sound like you still need protein.
You could build up slowly each week ..maybe 5 min, then 10, then the 15 if still needed. From what I understand this isn't a heavy protein treatment so you should be fine ramping it up until you get where you need to be.
Is this the one that can be used on dry hair per the bottle also pre shampoo? I sometimes get my products mixed up but was wondering.

Yes this is the one that you can do that. Should I try that next week?

Rio040113
February 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Idk, I read somewhere that protein is supposed to followed up with moisture. I guess I got that wrong.

If your hair is 'over moisturized', (moisture = water, as has been said before me, 'over conditioned' is probably more accurate), you're probably fine to do a protein treatment and leave it at that... Maybe use a light conditioner afterwards to aid detangling and/or seal with an oil. You're using (IIRC) a moisturizing cleanser, then a relatively light protein conditioner for only a short amount of time, followed by a moisturizing conditioner... I think it's still too much 'moisture'.

I'd only use a heavy conditioning treatment after a really heavy protein treatment, or if your hair felt dry after the protein.

Have you considered using a 'heavier' protein treatment?

Arwenlily
February 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
If your hair is 'over moisturized', (moisture = water, as has been said before me, 'over conditioned' is probably more accurate), you're probably fine to do a protein treatment and leave it at that... Maybe use a light conditioner afterwards to aid detangling and/or seal with an oil. You're using (IIRC) a moisturizing cleanser, then a relatively light protein conditioner for only a short amount of time, followed by a moisturizing conditioner... I think it's still too much 'moisture'.

I'd only use a heavy conditioning treatment after a really heavy protein treatment, or if your hair felt dry after the protein.

Have you considered using a 'heavier' protein treatment?

I've thought about it but I wanted to try something light first before I went there. Maybe I should try to deep condition withe GPB and see what happens.

frejafjord
February 8th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Not trying to de-rail but oh my GOD this is my problem! I'll use a moisture conditioner one day and my hair will be silky soft and beautiful. Use it again next wash day and its brittle and dry from build up. Similar situation when I use a protein conditioner. Gotta learn to pay more attention to which it needs. Week to week (or hour to hour - fine hair :rolleyes: )

ErinLeigh
February 8th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Yes this is the one that you can do that. Should I try that next week?

It wouldnt hurt. Its not heavy so it should help if anything. Try putting on dry hair for 15 minutes or as directed before the wash and follow up with a light conditioner.
Evaluate. If it needs more, do a post wash condition next time. If after a few washes its not getting better I would use a stronger protein based product. If you aren't ready for a full protein treatment you could try leave leave ins? Giovanni Vitapro Fusion is a protein based leave in conditioner that has good reviews. There are plenty of other types.

Yes protein treatments do advise to use a moisture based conditioner afterwards. In the case of the Aubry though, I am not sure if it is "heavy" enough that is needs one afterwards. If the bottle doesn't suggest it I would think it does not. You could try it without and see where that takes you. Keep an eye on if hair is getting better or worse as you try all this. If it is getting worse then you should pull back on the moisture based conditioner until you find balance. Start with reducing usage by half and see if that help or something.

If you think the Aubrey isn't doing enough you could always try the Kpaks from Joico..or if you want something strong try Apogee 2 step. (that will require the deep condition afterwards) Apogee should fix everything in one shot and may be easier than playing with conditioner to get you to baseline. When hair needs protein it ends up looking great after one of those treatments.

It shouldn't be too hard to get you hair where it needs to be with the right products. For me personally, getting protein into hair is way easier than dealing with the opposite, overload. :/

I hope your hair and you are doing ok! Let us know what you do.

bunzfan
February 9th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Not read any replies yet...but i have found conditioning first with moisture and then protein seems to get it just right.

ErinLeigh
February 10th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Oh I forgot. They have protein fillers at beauty supply stores for like $2-3. You can out those in a mister and spray on. Super easy way to get protein into hair.
How is it going ?