PDA

View Full Version : My clever sarcasm is wasted on short haired people

Igor
September 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I was out shopping with my brotherís wife and one of the things she was looking for was a new hair dryer. At one of the stores we ran into a salesgirl who demonstrated a tool for us

Salesgirl: And then if you click this part on *clicks* you can use it as hairdryer for that full-bodied look and if you use this part *click clikety click* it is now a flat iron and you can get that sleek, smooth look *clicks a new part on* This is for a curling iron so you can get bouncy ringlets
Brotherís wife: That is pretty cool
Me: So, if she buys this tool for 1400 kroner (Thatís 185 Euro and 255 USD) she can make three hairstyles in all?
Salesgirl: Yes!
Me: Wow, that is amazingÖ®
Salesgirl: Yes! (Annoyingly perky and clearly not getting my sarcasm)
Me (Mutters): I can make more styles with just a set of hairsticks and it doesnít cost me 1400 kroner
Brothers wife: (Sends me a warning glare)
Salesgirl: (Decides to ignore me for the rest of the sale)

:smirk:

tobikay
September 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Some people just don't get it.

Curlsgirl
September 11th, 2008, 12:33 PM
:D That's funny!

bunnii
September 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
eeeehehehehhe!! :D CAn I come shopping with you? we'd have so much fun with the people trying to sell us stuff to make our hair super mega awesome :p haha

Lady Godiva
September 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Me: So, if she buys this tool for 1400 kroner (Thatís 185 Euro and 255 USD) she can make three hairstyles in all? :
WHAT??!! Did my eyes hear that correctly?! :shocked:

Great response. Another cute answer might be, "But then I couldn't go around with my hair wet!" :wink:

SHELIAANN1969
September 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I am astonished at the price, $255.00 as in two hundred and fifty five american dollars??

That is insane, a flatiron is like what 30$ an expensive hair dryer is MAYBE 25-30$ Geez, that's nuts on the price alone.

Next sales pitch, for just $255.00 you can RUIN your hair....wheeeeeeeeeeee :)

fxdwgchick
September 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Oh, that's too funny!
It's also horrifying to know there's now one tool for three types of hair inihalation! Can you imagine? Dries hair, decides on curls, oops, curls are taking too long, straighten out (after dampening it to help remove the curls)...wow! you could go bald in as little as 6 weeks! AND if you act now, we'll throw in this hair restoring miracle serum...that's a $500 value for the low, low price of a half week's salary...sighs...

Akiko
September 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
A $255 hair dyer/iron! That is a very expensive hair destruction tool.
Oh, well.

LeaM07
September 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Wow... :bigeyes: I know there are plenty of people who aren't "into" long hair that like to use these things, but man, that's some serious cash!

I say you set up shop next door and sell hairsticks... at the bargain price of 800 kroner or so apiece. ;)

SHELIAANN1969
September 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Wow... :bigeyes: I know there are plenty of people who aren't "into" long hair that like to use these things, but man, that's some serious cash!

I say you set up shop next door and sell hairsticks... at the bargain price of 800 kroner or so apiece. ;)

You are a very clever businesswoman!!!:cheese:

dorothea-brooke
September 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hee -- great story. (The *clickety click click* sound effects made me snort out loud.)

Did she end up buying it???

MsBubbles
September 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Igor you are my clever-sarcasm-hero. How I needed to read something funny today. The bit about your brother's warning glare is hilarious.

JessTheMess
September 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
HAHAHA ooooo.... the clickety clicks got me! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall! :D

Islandgrrl
September 11th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Holy cats that is one expensive hair dryer straightener curler.

And some very well done sarcasm, too.

florenonite
September 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think my favourite bit was the warning glare from your brother's wife. It just made me laugh that she seemed to know where this was going to go ...

Igor
September 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys! :smooch:

Did she end up buying it???

Yep, she bought the damn thing :rolleyes: Didnít even seem to think it was that expensive (But it made me wonder how many Ficcares I could buy for that. Seriously, donít go thereÖ shudder: )

brok3nwings
September 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
ahaha that is great!! I dont think i would have done it better ;)

angelthadiva
September 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ohmigosh, I'm sorry your wit went wasted...Didn't she realize YOU were trying to save her money?!

krt1013
September 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I wish I could say things like this out loud whenever my roommates ask me why I "haven't been straightening my hair." People always think something is wrong with you if you don't wake up at 7 a.m. to prep your hair for your 9 a.m. class.

Haith
September 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I would have liked to be there to witness this scene in action! I would have seemed like a crazy lady, snickering in the corner.

Slug Yoga
September 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I am astonished at the price, $255.00 as in two hundred and fifty five american dollars??

That is insane, a flatiron is like what 30$ an expensive hair dryer is MAYBE 25-30$ Geez, that's nuts on the price alone.

But... but this one has them all TOGETHER. And it CLICKS. :ponder:

Yep, she bought the damn thing :rolleyes: Didnít even seem to think it was that expensive (But it made me wonder how many Ficcares I could buy for that. Seriously, donít go thereÖ shudder: )

Okay, now this has gone from comic to tragic!

Beatnik Guy
September 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
So, Igor, you're saying that you don't want one...? :ponder:

longhairedfairy
September 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
!!!!!!!!!!
That is A LOT of money!

MadHatter
September 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Wait, 3 hairstyles for 255 USD?!?!?! Oh my geez louise, that's incredible!! :D

Akiko
September 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM
!! Your sister-in-law bought one!

I am curious if she will be still happy with it a year from now....

EdG
September 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM
That was a great reply. :)
Ed

ItalianFlower
September 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM
krt1013, why on earth would they even ask you to straighten your hair? It's beautiful! ^_^

Emichiee
September 11th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Oh, I'm like that too when I come across tools and people like that. Just can't help it...:D

blue_nant
September 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I was thinking that a lathe to make the hairsticks with probably doesn't even cost $225 USD!

And then there is the wood and the electricity, but soon the sticks begin to pay for themselves and then ...

oh, and the girls in MY class don't look like THEY get up early to do their hair! Could it be that they do??? oy!

prosperina
September 11th, 2008, 11:00 PM

Next sales pitch, for just $255.00 you can RUIN your hair....wheeeeeeeeeeee :)

Actually my sister who has lovely 3b/3c/C/iii naturally red hair bought a flat iron for 70-80 bucks at Bed Bath and Beyond. Or maybe it was 60 or 70. The irony is that her old one (30 bucks) which she gave me, that I never use, works better. Occasionally she asks me if she can borrow it. I refuse to let her. :D Anyway, the point of this hijack is there are more expensive flat irons. Why the hell my sister bought one (she rarely uses it, and admits her hair is prettier curlier) I do not know. Thank heavens there's no fancy curling iron/straightener/blow drier thing out there for her to see. Her hair's nearly bra strap when stretched, and she wants it longer so I make her treat it nicely. (She's a very kind and patient to put up with me.) :D

Igor, that was some pretty great sarcasm.

CurlyOne
September 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
But... but this one has them all TOGETHER. And it CLICKS.
Oh absolutely! I think you are paying two or three times as much for the premium clickage there. That really is nuts though!

psycho
September 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM

Now THERE'S an idea...I'm actually starting to sell hairsticks at my craft shows and am on the lookout for a mannequin head so I can demonstrate how to use them and what you can do with them, otherwise people just don't get it!

Yikes...I'm going to join with everyone else to say that is one pricey weapon of mass destruction.

zeelin
September 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
That is so funny.

Gothic Lolita
September 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Igor, I laughed so hard as this! I'd love to go shopping with you, I always find that salespeople often don't get jokes about their precious products!

Elyce
September 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Igor, you rock! And your humor wasn't wasted, you shared it with us! heh heh

ladystar
September 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
That was great. I try not to even give those people the time of day! lol Like the ones that want to try makeup on for you! I just ignore them.

Little_Bird
September 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
LOL You really got me laughing!

Loved your story! I just wished you had recorded it lol It must have been so funny. I love that kind of sarcasm :D:eyebrows:

Soniasonia
September 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hahah owned!

Arctic_Mama
September 12th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Wow. That's some snake oil there. Pay out the nose AND murder your hair all in three easy steps. Gee, great!

I've got a weed whacker and some toilet bleach I'd part with for the BARGAIN of twenty bucks to one up the gadget of flaming, bubbling hairy death. Any takers?

renarok
September 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I don't flat iron my hair often, Sometimes I smooth out my crazy curly bangs. But my daughter likes to straighten her hair so I paid $120.00 for a good iron, and I think it was worth it. It works sooooo well on her 3A hair. I hate that she straightens it, but this one really works well.

Steph0087
September 12th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Do you think that expensive appliances like that cause less damage than the $20 ones you buy at the drugstore?

thankyousir74
September 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Great response. Another cute answer might be, "But then I couldn't go around with my hair wet!" :wink:

LOOOL I seriously guffawed at this haha

coppercurls
September 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Too funny!:p

Igor
September 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Do you think that expensive appliances like that cause less damage than the $20 ones you buy at the drugstore?
No. Heat is heat

Arctic_Mama
September 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM
If anything, the expensive ones could cause MORE damage, as most of them tout their heat settings. When I did need curl or straightening, for example, the cheapo ones were never hot enough to do the job without half a can of hairspray (I shudder even remembering) and it takes a more expensive power source and heating element to get to those super high temperatures, or to distribute low heat continually and evenly.

tiny_teesha
September 13th, 2008, 05:34 AM
you are hilarious!!! you're my hero! lol

laurachiplock
September 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Sorry, I have a different take on this.

Really, what do you care what someone else does with her hair? Its her choice to spend alot of money on an appliance that she feels will give her the look she wants, whats it to you? Maybe her life goal isn't to have hair down to her knees..

I see so many threads on here about long haired people being persecuted/ridiculed/judged etc., but really it works both ways, doesn't it.
If you choose to use hairsticks to hot appliances thats great, but its not for everyone.....

Those styling things are everywhere & SO MANY people use them, it sounds like the sales person was just doing her job.

I hardly ever go against the grain here in writing because some people will flog you if you do, but I just feel compelled here to say
Live & let live.

Neysa
September 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Laurachiplock: even if we don't agree, your voice should be heard. A held tongue is a lost mirror to the other side of the image. The first time I was told that, it took me about 3 hours to interpret it, but I use it now when one of my students says "I know it's a stupid question, but:..."

Personally, I have never, since being of an age to decide these things for myself, used any kind of drying or heat method. I never liked how my scalp burned after use, and I figured that if I wanted more curls or waves, I could tie my hair up, or braid it whilst it's still wet. If I want it straighter, I comb it whilst it's wet.

On a similar note to the original post, I was in CVS, looking for some stuff for my hair, and this lady walks up to me, says "wow, pretty bun, I bet you took hours doing that! So could you help me pick out some mousse, and gels and hairspray?" Poor old dear! I burst her bubble when I said it took my fiance 4 minutes (his first attempt!) and no more, and that the only after wash product I use is leave in conditioner. All I could do was help her with what brands I liked for s&c, then leave her to it. She looked a bit shocked when I told her that, and left with only S&C and a bottle or three of leave in conditioner.

I'll shut up and go back to reading now! :-)

Qamar
September 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
But... but this one has them all TOGETHER. And it CLICKS. :ponder:

*rotfl* The clickety bit must be the main selling point. I think I'll just stick with pincurls or rag curlers.

Forever_Sophie
September 14th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Really, what do you care what someone else does with her hair? Its her choice to spend alot of money on an appliance that she feels will give her the look she wants, whats it to you? Maybe her life goal isn't to have hair down to her knees..

I see so many threads on here about long haired people being persecuted/ridiculed/judged etc., but really it works both ways, doesn't it.
If you choose to use hairsticks to hot appliances thats great, but its not for everyone.....

Those styling things are everywhere & SO MANY people use them, it sounds like the sales person was just doing her job.

I hardly ever go against the grain here in writing because some people will flog you if you do, but I just feel compelled here to say
Live & let live.

THANK YOU for saying this; I read this entire thread hoping I wasn't the only person feeling this way! So many of my friends have raved for the CHI flat iron that I certainly wouldn't rule out purchasing one, and it isn't cheap. If 1 great quality product can curl, straighten, & blowdry my hair, fantastic. I travel, I'd seriously consider getting this. My hair's approaching my waist and it's almost always down or in a ponytail, I'm not fond of hairsticks but I'm honestly glad those of you who use them enjoy them so much. Whatever floats your boat, right?

Igor
September 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
You probably wonít believe me when I say I agree, but I do. The situation just tickled my sarcasm-bone and I know people who agree and people who disagree would get a laugh out of the situation for different reasons

Live & let live.

freznow
September 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Live & let live.

I think a lot of people agree. It's just, $255 for 3 hairstyles just seems absurd when I can do a couple dozen with a cheap pair of chopsticks. I mean, there are people here who won't buy the Ficcare because of it's price, and that electric thing is 5 times the price of a Ficcare. Which is all right for people who want to buy it, and I don't have anything against them, I just think it's absurd! Like when people buy expensive expensive cars when there's cheaper cars even with slightly better mpg out there... I'm always going for the cheaper car, because it works for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I find it absurd just the same when those billion dollar cars are commonplace and sought after. They probably have a different use for their car then I would (maybe they do a lot of offroad driving and the quality of the expensive car is better for that? Or maybe they just want to show it off.) but no matter how you shake it I still find it laughably absurd.

catekat
September 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
This is such a funny thread.

Patrycja
September 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
LOL!! I needed that laugh,Igor Thank you so much for your long haired sarcasm! :rockerdud :smooch:

jojo
September 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
go girl! love it!

~GypsyCurls~
September 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Heehee that is funny. Next mission, those people at the flat-iron kiosks...*shudder*

Curly Carl
September 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
*smile* well that is funny if you ask me. Even better when someone doesn't understand the sarcasm xD

SearMeCarefully
September 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah I had a hard time getting over that price tag too.. I was all woa wait back up whaaat?!

twilight_faerie
September 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
That $255 price tag doesn't surprise me all that much. Back when I had a job and, consequently, money, I bought a $160 tourmaline flat iron. I do realize that's a lot of money to spend, but, it makes my hair straighter quicker than any other flat iron I've ever used, and I haven't noticed any damage because of it. So, in my book, you get what you pay for.

truepeacenik
September 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Now THERE'S an idea...I'm actually starting to sell hairsticks at my craft shows and am on the lookout for a mannequin head so I can demonstrate how to use them and what you can do with them, otherwise people just don't get it!

Yikes...I'm going to join with everyone else to say that is one pricey weapon of mass destruction.

you do have a captive audience of test drivers who will take action shots: one with hair down (and you'll need a buncha mid lengthers)

Qamar
September 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM
I'm waist length and would love to be a model for you.

Speedbump
September 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
I would totally buy that bad boy JUST for the clicking. :cool: :spitting:

Thanks for sharing this funneh story! :lol:

ladyshannonanne
September 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Wow! I can spend over $250 to ruin my hair!?!?! Sweet! I'm gonna' go get me one of those!