PDA

View Full Version : First successful scalp-only wash

LauraLongLocks
February 5th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I successfully did my first scalp-only wash, meaning that I didn't get my length wet. First I put my length into a low bun and secured it. Then I took a plastic shower cap and wrapped it around my bun twice and secured it with a small claw on the edge. Then I put my nice big shower cap over all my head and took my shower. At the end of my shower, I turned towards the water spray and took the big shower cap off. I wet the top of my head and then sprayed diluted shampoo (I have mine in a spray bottle) onto my canopy, tipping my head a bit forward to try to prevent having that bun (still wrapped in the small plastic shower cap) getting drenched. I did a teeny bit of manipulating to get that shampoo into my scalp, but not enough to really upset my hair. Rinsed my hair out the same way, with my head tipped forward, into the water. Got out of the shower, patted the top of my head dry. Dried my body, then let my hair out of the bun. It worked amazingly well. The top of my hair was wet, about to the nape of my neck, but the underside below my ears, while wet, wasn't soaked and drenched with water. It took so much less time to dry, and the top of my head looks clean again, without the wetting and manipulating, and drying of my length. Perfect! Just thought I would share, although, I am sure my technique isn't anything new to those who have been at this a while.

ETA: I was making a hairstyle video anyway, so while I had the camera set up, I decided to do a quick tutorial on scalp-only washing. Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

swearnsue
February 5th, 2014, 11:57 AM
It was new information for me! Thank you. My hair isn't long enough yet to want or need to do a scalp only wash but it looks like your way would work well if I ever get my hair long enough. It is just now starting to feel like it takes forever to dry (like a few hours! lol)

woodswanderer
February 5th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Interesting. I might try that. Sometimes I hate to do a full wash when I want to go outside for a while in winter.

Sterlyn
February 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I can't wait for my hair to get enough length to do this. I wash every other day, more because my scalp needs it than my ends. Thanks for sharing your method. :)

velorutionista
February 5th, 2014, 12:23 PM
It's news to me, too! Sometimes I try to do something similar when I'm just too lazy to wash my hair, but it's far too gross/greasy to go out with, but since my hair isn't super long, it never really works out and I end up giving up and washing it all! Hadn't tried with a shower cap around the length, though (just pulled it back into a low knot).

LauraLongLocks
February 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM
I decided to do a tutorial for it since I was doing a hairstyle video anyway, and had the camera set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

Aderyn
February 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Oh my, that's rather clever! I would worry about cleansing the scalp underneath the bun and the nape of neck, but this still looks like it would do the trick most of the time and then supplement it with a full wash every once in a while. Especially since it's really the top of the scalp that is the most noticeable when going without a wash for a while. I try to take a shower at night to avoid having to wait for it to dry in the morning, though, so it's not too much of a problem for me.

LauraLongLocks
February 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Oh my, that's rather clever! I would worry about cleansing the scalp underneath the bun and the nape of neck, but this still looks like it would do the trick most of the time and then supplement it with a full wash every once in a while. Especially since it's really the top of the scalp that is the most noticeable when going without a wash for a while. I try to take a shower at night to avoid having to wait for it to dry in the morning, though, so it's not too much of a problem for me.

Yes, it's just an in-between wash type of fix, to get the top of the hair clean, since that's what shows the most. Thanks for watching!

ErinLeigh
February 6th, 2014, 01:11 AM
that's a good video :)

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM
that's a good video :)

Thank you. My husband was disappointed that I didn't actually get into the shower and show everyone, ha!

Auburndreaming
February 6th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Watched the video too! Glad to have seen this as my roots area always needs a wash way before my lengths and I hate having to wash the whole lot every few days!

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Watched the video too! Glad to have seen this as my roots area always needs a wash way before my lengths and I hate having to wash the whole lot every few days!

Glad you like it. Let me know how it works for you.

lapushka
February 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Since my hair gets washed in a bathroom sink, we would need to put the bun kind of hovering over my forehead, or more on top of my head. It'd be worth a try when I really don't feel like washing my hair. :D

Thanks for the video!

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Great thread! And thanks for the video, LauraLongLocks! :)
I think I was overthinking scalp washes in the past, too focused on finding ways to get ALL scalp washed and no length touched. But if you just wash the front, it's usually enough, so thanks for showing it, LauraLongLocks. It might not work for some people with scalp conditions who need to wash the whole scalp often and thoroughly, but it should work beautifully for most of us who wash when hair looks/feels greasy in the front.

Johannah
February 6th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I like your video!

swearnsue
February 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I don't think my nape has ever gotten greasy, ever. So it could skip a wash now and then no problem.

Sofialu
February 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I tried a scalp only wash the other day as my length and ends were fine but my roots were oily. I didn't know how to do it so what I did was left it down, used my shampoo only on my scalp/roots but conditioned all of my hair. I wish I'd seen your post and video before LauraLongLocks as it would have saved me all the drying! I've been in two minds whether to wash mine tonight or not because I know by tomorrow my roots will look iffy so now I've read this I'm going to try your method out - will let you know how I get on!

Agnes Hannah
February 6th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Hi LauraLongLocks! I loved your vid,thanks for posting that link. Please can you tell me where did you get your beautiful shower cap, its gorgeous! thanks

Sterlyn
February 6th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I just tried a variation of this and it worked pretty well. I just put my hair in a very loose braid positioned at the middle of my head. Then I put a small ziplock baggy over it and put another hair band over that to keep the baggy in place. Then I just stuck my head over the tub, used a cup to wet, applied shampoo (I dilute mine as well, but in a color applicator bottle), and rinsed well. Since my braid was loose it wasn't hard to wash or rinse my whole scalp, even under the braid. My ends got pretty wet when I took the braid out, but then I don't have a lot of length. My ends seem less frizzy and dry without the extra cleansing and my scalp is happier being clean. It didn't take as long to dry as a full wash, so a win. I think the plus for me isn't so much the decreased drying time, it's the fewer washings on the ends, they just don't seem to need it.

Thanks for bringing this up:). I didn't think to cover my length with something, I figured I would have to wait until my braid got long enough to drape out of the way, which would have been a while for me.

LanaBanana
February 6th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info and video! This is such a great idea!

lapushka
February 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Don't think it's for me, though. Like the video, nonetheless, but I feel like, if it's wet, might as well throw the length in there. I mean... I'm kinda doubtful this method is for me.

Sofialu
February 6th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I forgot to say that when I wet all my hair but just shampoo'd the roots and conditioned the rest, my ends were a lot softer than if I'd shampoo'd the lot. Didn't get round to trying the shower cap over a bun tonight but will give it a go perhaps tomorrow

LauraLongLocks
February 6th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Since my hair gets washed in a bathroom sink, we would need to put the bun kind of hovering over my forehead, or more on top of my head. It'd be worth a try when I really don't feel like washing my hair. :D

Thanks for the video!
Don't think it's for me, though. Like the video, nonetheless, but I feel like, if it's wet, might as well throw the length in there. I mean... I'm kinda doubtful this method is for me. You're welcome, and sorry it won't work for you.

Great thread! And thanks for the video, LauraLongLocks! :)
I think I was overthinking scalp washes in the past, too focused on finding ways to get ALL scalp washed and no length touched. But if you just wash the front, it's usually enough, so thanks for showing it, LauraLongLocks. It might not work for some people with scalp conditions who need to wash the whole scalp often and thoroughly, but it should work beautifully for most of us who wash when hair looks/feels greasy in the front. Thank you! Mine usually only looks/feels greasy in the front/top, so that's why I devised it this way.

I like your video! Thank you!

Yeah, I don't think my nape has ever gotten greasy, ever. So it could skip a wash now and then no problem. My nape is never greasy, either, but if it was, and my hair was even longer, I could try making my bun looser so that it didn't hug my head and then wash the entire scalp.

I tried a scalp only wash the other day as my length and ends were fine but my roots were oily. I didn't know how to do it so what I did was left it down, used my shampoo only on my scalp/roots but conditioned all of my hair. I wish I'd seen your post and video before LauraLongLocks as it would have saved me all the drying! I've been in two minds whether to wash mine tonight or not because I know by tomorrow my roots will look iffy so now I've read this I'm going to try your method out - will let you know how I get on! I did what you describe for a long time before I got this idea. A lot of times, I CO-wash, and skip the shampoo altogether. Yes, please do report back how it works for you. Thank you!

Hi LauraLongLocks! I loved your vid,thanks for posting that link. Please can you tell me where did you get your beautiful shower cap, its gorgeous! thanks Thank you! I think I either got it at Sally's (probably) or at Walmart. I don't really get out and shop anywhere else. Ha ha!

I just tried a variation of this and it worked pretty well. I just put my hair in a very loose braid positioned at the middle of my head. Then I put a small ziplock baggy over it and put another hair band over that to keep the baggy in place. Then I just stuck my head over the tub, used a cup to wet, applied shampoo (I dilute mine as well, but in a color applicator bottle), and rinsed well. Since my braid was loose it wasn't hard to wash or rinse my whole scalp, even under the braid. My ends got pretty wet when I took the braid out, but then I don't have a lot of length. My ends seem less frizzy and dry without the extra cleansing and my scalp is happier being clean. It didn't take as long to dry as a full wash, so a win. I think the plus for me isn't so much the decreased drying time, it's the fewer washings on the ends, they just don't seem to need it.

Thanks for bringing this up:). I didn't think to cover my length with something, I figured I would have to wait until my braid got long enough to drape out of the way, which would have been a while for me. Glad the idea helped you! I agree that fewer washings on the ends is another plus, even just allowing the suds to flow down the length while you only "wash" the scalp (which is what I have done for years before coming up with this idea).

Thanks for the info and video! This is such a great idea! You're welcome. Let me know how it works for you. :)

I forgot to say that when I wet all my hair but just shampoo'd the roots and conditioned the rest, my ends were a lot softer than if I'd shampoo'd the lot. Didn't get round to trying the shower cap over a bun tonight but will give it a go perhaps tomorrow Yes, do give it a go, and let us know how you get on. Thank you!

ErinLeigh
February 7th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Thank you. My husband was disappointed that I didn't actually get into the shower and show everyone, ha!

That is so funny! Made me actually laugh out loud for a minute :)

lapushka
February 7th, 2014, 05:37 AM
That is so funny! Made me actually laugh out loud for a minute :)

That's some true dedication to YT for ya! :lol:

Sofialu
February 7th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Ok I've just tried this and silly me ended up getting all my hair wet :/ I really didn't want to blow dry it today and was looking forward to just sorting the top parts out. Sigh. I put it in a low bun with a plastic shower cap tied over the bun but I didn't put an extra layer and the shower soaked my bun, didn't know until I excitedly unravelled my bun only to find it soaked. So I ended up conditioning the lot and will attempt this again come Sunday/Monday :)

lapushka
February 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Ok I've just tried this and silly me ended up getting all my hair wet :/ I really didn't want to blow dry it today and was looking forward to just sorting the top parts out. Sigh. I put it in a low bun with a plastic shower cap tied over the bun but I didn't put an extra layer and the shower soaked my bun, didn't know until I excitedly unravelled my bun only to find it soaked. So I ended up conditioning the lot and will attempt this again come Sunday/Monday :)

I think maybe your hair will have to be pretty long already for you not to get everything wet.

Sofialu
February 7th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Its between APL and BSL so in theory this should work for my lengths, what I'll try next time is putting my rubber swim cap over my bun as that is definitely waterproof. If that doesn't work then I'll give up on this method lol

Brattina88
February 7th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting - I've been wondering how to do this successfully, so I'm going to try it tomorrow because my scalp needs it, but my ends really don't.... And that's how it always is for me. :p

LauraLongLocks
February 7th, 2014, 02:47 PM
That is so funny! Made me actually laugh out loud for a minute :) Would definitely been something to laugh at!

That's some true dedication to YT for ya! :lol: It really would have been surprising and shocking to see, until it was taken down by YT, ha ha!

Ok I've just tried this and silly me ended up getting all my hair wet :/ I really didn't want to blow dry it today and was looking forward to just sorting the top parts out. Sigh. I put it in a low bun with a plastic shower cap tied over the bun but I didn't put an extra layer and the shower soaked my bun, didn't know until I excitedly unravelled my bun only to find it soaked. So I ended up conditioning the lot and will attempt this again come Sunday/Monday :) The larger cap over the whole head is essential to keeping the bun dry during the whole shower, otherwise the water just trickles right into the little bun cover. Sorry it didn't work for you. Good luck if you try it again!

I think maybe your hair will have to be pretty long already for you not to get everything wet.

Its between APL and BSL so in theory this should work for my lengths, what I'll try next time is putting my rubber swim cap over my bun as that is definitely waterproof. If that doesn't work then I'll give up on this method lol I think as long as you can get a bun, it's long enough to try this.

Thanks for posting - I've been wondering how to do this successfully, so I'm going to try it tomorrow because my scalp needs it, but my ends really don't.... And that's how it always is for me. :p Me, too. I always need my roots/scalp washed a very long time before the length needs it.

Sofialu
February 7th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that, I didn't put the cap over all my head so I will def try it again on Monday - hopefully with better results :)

Sofialu
February 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I've done it again today as the roots were looking oily already and it worked this time! I put my shower cap on and then my rubber swim hat over the top of my bun, I lowered the shower head height to level with my shoulders so to wet my head I had to move it under the head - this way worked for me and kept my bun dry. It took a fraction of the time to blow dry the top and straighten those parts :D

Marika
February 8th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Great video again! You are really natural in this YouTube thing! :blossom:

I'm definitely going to try this when my roots get greasy!

Nadine <3
February 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I've been dong something kinda similar, only I bun my hair and just wash my bangs and face framing layers in the sink. I stretched washing the whole lot to a week this way. My ends never really get gross, it's just the bangs that sit on my forehead. Those need washing nearly every morning to look nice. Otherwise they look wet lol

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Your videos are amazing. I've never thought about doing that method before. I'm like you I hate the cold weather waiting for it to dry.

LauraLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I've done it again today as the roots were looking oily already and it worked this time! I put my shower cap on and then my rubber swim hat over the top of my bun, I lowered the shower head height to level with my shoulders so to wet my head I had to move it under the head - this way worked for me and kept my bun dry. It took a fraction of the time to blow dry the top and straighten those parts :D I'm so pleased that it worked for you. It really does dry a LOT faster!

Great video again! You are really natural in this YouTube thing! :blossom:

I'm definitely going to try this when my roots get greasy! That is so kind of you to say. I hope to get some more videos up soon.

I've been dong something kinda similar, only I bun my hair and just wash my bangs and face framing layers in the sink. I stretched washing the whole lot to a week this way. My ends never really get gross, it's just the bangs that sit on my forehead. Those need washing nearly every morning to look nice. Otherwise they look wet lol I wash my bangs in the sink, too. Basically, I'm finding that if I change up co-washing, bangs-in-the-sink washing, and scalp washing, I can go a very, very long time before I need to shampoo.

Your videos are amazing. I've never thought about doing that method before. I'm like you I hate the cold weather waiting for it to dry. Gosh, thank you so much for the compliments, everyone. It really helps to have your encouragement. I do hate the cold weather and wet hair. Right now Idaho is being dumped on with tons of snow and bitter cold. If I have to go outside in this mess to do animal chores, I need dry hair. If it's wet, it can freeze and break (yes, that's happened to me in the past), not to mention that it's cold and uncomfortable.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'm so pleased that it worked for you. It really does dry a LOT faster!

That is so kind of you to say. I hope to get some more videos up soon.

I wash my bangs in the sink, too. Basically, I'm finding that if I change up co-washing, bangs-in-the-sink washing, and scalp washing, I can go a very, very long time before I need to shampoo.

Gosh, thank you so much for the compliments, everyone. It really helps to have your encouragement. I do hate the cold weather and wet hair. Right now Idaho is being dumped on with tons of snow and bitter cold. If I have to go outside in this mess to do animal chores, I need dry hair. If it's wet, it can freeze and break (yes, that's happened to me in the past), not to mention that it's cold and uncomfortable.

I understand the out door chores. I have a dog and cat that are out door pets. I also have to take out trash and scoop snow. I hate waiting for hair to dry. It seems like if I go outside with a wet head I'm sick from a cold. Like you stated damage from it. I've froze my hair in the past as a teenager waiting for the bus.

LauraLongLocks
February 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I understand the out door chores. I have a dog and cat that are out door pets. I also have to take out trash and scoop snow. I hate waiting for hair to dry. It seems like if I go outside with a wet head I'm sick from a cold. Like you stated damage from it. I've froze my hair in the past as a teenager waiting for the bus.

Yes, waiting for the bus as a kid... that's exactly how I've broken my hair. I have a family cow to milk and chickens to feed, collect eggs, etc. I'm outside a good long while. I do wear a hat, but I feel like I need to give my hair every help I can.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Yes, waiting for the bus as a kid... that's exactly how I've broken my hair. I have a family cow to milk and chickens to feed, collect eggs, etc. I'm outside a good long while. I do wear a hat, but I feel like I need to give my hair every help I can.

I used to raise quarter horses I know what farm chores can do. I live in the city now and I've done away with chores but I still wear a hat and try to protect my hair. The years I went out with wet hair and broke them was silly. I had chances to wash the night before.

Tini'sNewHair
February 9th, 2014, 12:37 AM
This video HAS to be my ALL time favorite because I REALLY need this!!! I'm trying my hardest (and its working bit by bit) to stretch my washes and to add this midway is fantastic. I will have to give it a try when im due for a wash in a couple of days, thank you!!!!!!!!

LauraLongLocks
February 9th, 2014, 06:57 AM
This video HAS to be my ALL time favorite because I REALLY need this!!! I'm trying my hardest (and its working bit by bit) to stretch my washes and to add this midway is fantastic. I will have to give it a try when im due for a wash in a couple of days, thank you!!!!!!!!

You're welcome. Please report back and tell us how it went for you.

meteor
February 10th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Did anybody try this with Water-Only method?
The reason I'm asking is because I am not great at washing out shampoo completely without a very, very long and thorough rinse-out session. If even a tiny bit of shampoo is left behind, it really bothers my scalp.

I also wanted to add that this method kind of reminds me of how scalp is washed in protective styles. I think the fact that so many people can wear braids, cornrows, dreads, etc and manage to wash their scalps regularly without a problem is further proof that this method can work long term.

LauraLongLocks
February 10th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Did anybody try this with Water-Only method?
The reason I'm asking is because I am not great at washing out shampoo completely without a very, very long and thorough rinse-out session. If even a tiny bit of shampoo is left behind, it really bothers my scalp.

I also wanted to add that this method kind of reminds me of how scalp is washed in protective styles. I think the fact that so many people can wear braids, cornrows, dreads, etc and manage to wash their scalps regularly without a problem is further proof that this method can work long term.

I've never tried the water-only method, but I dilute my shampoo and have no problem getting it to rinse out completely. I'm using Paul Mitchell Shampoo One right now. I only use shampoo on my scalp about once every two weeks. In between, I CO-wash. About once in 6 weeks I do a clarifying shampoo, because I use cones.

Vanilla
February 17th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I'm reviving this thread, did a scalp only wash tonight, but used the loose braid method. Thanks for the video!

Chlorophylliac
February 18th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Happy anniversary, scalp wash thread! I've had one or two successful attempts, followed by some PITA attempts. I need to try again. How did it go, Vanilla?

longsword
May 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM
HOw come I never thought of this before? I hate that cold air chill, or going to bed with wet/damp hair in the winter and I sweat alot in the summer during exercise.
I tried this on Sunday with pretty much a success although I didn't dilute the shampoo so that made it harder than it should have..And my water pressure is terrible from the shower head . Next time I will try either putting my head under the faucet part or use a cup to pour water.
I did the high loose ponytail into a braid and wrapped it up into an old shower cap and sealed it up with a hairband. I held the bun bag up above my head and did the washing one handed. I had to keep alternating hands as my arm got tired. Stupid low water pressure. I had to do the whole scalp as it gets icky evenly. The length stayed fairly dry and just the first 6 inches or so of growth was wet.

LauraLongLocks
May 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM
HOw come I never thought of this before? I hate that cold air chill, or going to bed with wet/damp hair in the winter and I sweat alot in the summer during exercise.
I tried this on Sunday with pretty much a success although I didn't dilute the shampoo so that made it harder than it should have..And my water pressure is terrible from the shower head . Next time I will try either putting my head under the faucet part or use a cup to pour water.
I did the high loose ponytail into a braid and wrapped it up into an old shower cap and sealed it up with a hairband. I held the bun bag up above my head and did the washing one handed. I had to keep alternating hands as my arm got tired. Stupid low water pressure. I had to do the whole scalp as it gets icky evenly. The length stayed fairly dry and just the first 6 inches or so of growth was wet.

So glad it was useful to you. I do this from time to time. It is really nice to extend a full wash out a few more days.

rosance
June 20th, 2015, 12:17 AM
I cant wait to try this! I hate washing my whole length when my ends look so happy. I will most likely try this tomorrow :D

Dragon Faery
June 20th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Yay, there's a whole thread! Thanks for starting it, LauraLongLocks! :) I love your method. I wish I could do it that way but I can't bend over long enough without getting a migraine. Stupid chronic pain. So I've been trying to adapt it for a standing up method.

My first attempt involved a braid in a high-ponytail position that I spin-pinned up while showering and then held manually out of the way while washing it. It kept all but my very ends dry, when I inadvertently dipped them in the shower stream. The problem with that method was that the position of the braid made my roots lie in such a way that scrubbing the conditioner in and out (I CO wash) was painful due to constant accidental snagging. (My hair is thick at the scalp and not very porous, so I have to use a lot of conditioner and really scrub to get it in there or it just never happens. And rinsing takes forever, too.) In spite of the snagging, I call my first attempt mostly successful.

For my second attempt I braided my hair in a low nape braid, but started about 6 inches down my length. I wrapped the length in a plastic grocery bag and secured it above my braid with an elastic. It held fine, and eliminating the pulling at the roots while scrubbing, since that's how my hair normally lies while washing; and it gave me the freedom to use both hands to scrub at once, which meant a much faster wash. The problem this time was that water got inside the bag since I let the braid just hang.

Next time I'll try the braid in the same position, but double bag and also use one hand to hold it horizontally out of the way (and probably not combine such a wash with an actual scrub-down sort of shower) ... but any other suggestions for keeping the length dry? Do you think simply keeping it from hanging straight down will be enough to avoid water on the length? Or is there anything else I can do to help with this? I really like the low braid as it didn't pull at all.

meteor
June 20th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Dragon Faery, have you tried it this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo? :) I like doing this in a large sink. LauraLongLocks' method works beautifully in the sink, as well. Takes just a couple of minutes. Another thing to consider is: can you dilute your conditioner (since you CO-wash) with more water to make it runny and easy enough to wash out? I think it can make the process much easier. :)

And yes, I think as long you simply keep the braid from hanging straight down in the direction that the water flows, it should be enough to avoid water on the length...
Some people attach the braid (by elastic tie) to a hanger or a hook or something, but the braid has to be long enough to reach it.

I'm thinking, we can experiment with braiding a paranda/scarf/ribbon into the hair (to make it long enough to reach something grabby in the shower like a shower bar that holds the curtain) and tie the end of the paranda/scarf/ribbon to a bar/hook/hanger to make the braid hang away from the flow of water. This would allow to use 2 hands for washing, instead of one. I just can't stand holding a braid during the wash.

Dragon Faery
June 22nd, 2015, 01:55 AM
Dragon Faery, have you tried it this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo? I like doing this in a large sink. LauraLongLocks' method works beautifully in the sink, as well. Takes just a couple of minutes. Another thing to consider is: can you dilute your conditioner (since you CO-wash) with more water to make it runny and easy enough to wash out? I think it can make the process much easier.

And yes, I think as long you simply keep the braid from hanging straight down in the direction that the water flows, it should be enough to avoid water on the length...
Some people attach the braid (by elastic tie) to a hanger or a hook or something, but the braid has to be long enough to reach it.

I'm thinking, we can experiment with braiding a paranda/scarf/ribbon into the hair (to make it long enough to reach something grabby in the shower like a shower bar that holds the curtain) and tie the end of the paranda/scarf/ribbon to a bar/hook/hanger to make the braid hang away from the flow of water. This would allow to use 2 hands for washing, instead of one. I just can't stand holding a braid during the wash.

Ooh thank you for the detailed suggestions! :blossom:

I can't bend my head forward for that long without getting a migraine, so even a sink wash wouldn't work for me.

I haven't tried diluting my conditioner, but maybe I'll give it a go. My hair isn't very porous, so I don't know how well it would work at getting it into my hair that way. I'll probably try it on a regular wash first just in case it doesn't go well.

Oooh, I like the paranda idea! I think that has the potential to work really well! I'll definitely try that next time.

Thank you again! :)

mdvl
June 22nd, 2015, 06:51 AM
Wow! Never heard of it. It's a great tip for very long hair holders.

rosance
June 22nd, 2015, 10:47 AM
I ended up doing this with the loose braid method. I loved the results. Only the very top of the braid got wet which takes me around chin length. I love the results. Ends are not manipulated and it's much faster than a whole wash and a whole air dry.

meteor
June 22nd, 2015, 11:11 AM
I ended up doing this with the loose braid method. I loved the results. Only the very top of the braid got wet which takes me around chin length. I love the results. Ends are not manipulated and it's much faster than a whole wash and a whole air dry.

Yay! That's great, rosance! Congratulations! :joy:
Did you end up holding the braid with one hand, putting it down the shirt or hooking it up on a hanger or something?

Dragon Faery, I really hope this method will work for you, so you don't need to lower your head. :D I should remember to try it this way myself, too. I can't think of another way to attach a braid to the curtain bar, but a scarf/paranda should really do the trick.

By the way, it's such a massive time-saver for me now - especially for drying and post-wash detangling. I first started doing this when I was around hip or tailbone maybe? But I wish I'd started doing this as soon as my hair could be braided or a bunned.

rosance
June 22nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks meteor! I washed it in the sink so I just put my braid in my shirt, not bra strap, and it stayed there. I think it is because I didn't have to bend too low to wash. I feel like we can grow hair faster this way because of the fact that we aren't manipulating the ends much at all. The less manipulation, the less splits, white dots, breakage, and tangles. It's an all in one :D

meteor
June 22nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
^ Oh absolutely! :agree: I couldn't agree more! This really preserves the ends: less hygral fatigue, less tangling/detangling, less styling, less manipulation... Win-win-win all around! :happydance:

Teazel
June 22nd, 2015, 06:09 PM

I haven't read the whole thread so if your concern has been answered already this might be redundant, but it is possible to wash the whole head when scalp washing. It's my main method for washing my hair, not just a stop-gap measure between full washes, so it's very important to me to get my whole head clean. Especially since I have seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Here's the method I use: In the shower. Hair in nautilus bun (have to secure with a fuzzy hairtie now that I have a blunt hem) with shower cap on. At end of shower, slip shower cap back so it's centred over the bun, and wrap the rest of the cap around the "stem" of hair between bun and head. Hold stem tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, wrap head with towel with shower cap still on bun. Dry myself, take head towel and cap off, blot hair dry. Put hair up with metal hairstick. Done.

Because I hold my hair tightly by the "stem" I can wash and rinse my head at the back without water running down to the length. Scalp washes are awesome - so much so that I don't bother with the whole full wash and condition drama very often.

LauraLongLocks
June 22nd, 2015, 07:43 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so if your concern has been answered already this might be redundant, but it is possible to wash the whole head when scalp washing. It's my main method for washing my hair, not just a stop-gap measure between full washes, so it's very important to me to get my whole head clean. Especially since I have seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Here's the method I use: In the shower. Hair in nautilus bun (have to secure with a fuzzy hairtie now that I have a blunt hem) with shower cap on. At end of shower, slip shower cap back so it's centred over the bun, and wrap the rest of the cap around the "stem" of hair between bun and head. Hold stem tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, wrap head with towel with shower cap still on bun. Dry myself, take head towel and cap off, blot hair dry. Put hair up with metal hairstick. Done.

Because I hold my hair tightly by the "stem" I can wash and rinse my head at the back without water running down to the length. Scalp washes are awesome - so much so that I don't bother with the whole full wash and condition drama very often.

That's great! I'm glad you commented.

Dragon Faery
June 22nd, 2015, 08:19 PM
Dragon Faery, I really hope this method will work for you, so you don't need to lower your head. :D I should remember to try it this way myself, too. I can't think of another way to attach a braid to the curtain bar, but a scarf/paranda should really do the trick.

By the way, it's such a massive time-saver for me now - especially for drying and post-wash detangling. I first started doing this when I was around hip or tailbone maybe? But I wish I'd started doing this as soon as my hair could be braided or a bunned.

I was going to try this today, but I ended up with a migraine before I could wash. So I guess I'll be trying it tomorrow. I made a paranda recently that takes my braid from not-quite-waist to BCL-ish, so I think that will be long enough to tie around the shower rod. Especially if I start the braid (and paranda) about 6 inches down from my nape.

Dragon Faery
June 24th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Yesterday I tried a scalp wash using a paranda to tie my length (braided) to the shower curtain rod. That position is definitely comfortable, and as long as I don't accidentally drop the conditioner on the floor of the shower, I should be fine. :) I do need to find a way to protect the length from getting wet still, as it was quite damp afterward from the shower spray. Not soaked, but damp enough that it frizzed up again. I'm thinking maybe plastic wrap held on with elastics? Unless anyone has any better suggestions.

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Teazel, that sounds awesome! :applause
How do you manage to wash the actual "stem" or the scalp area right under the stem? Or do you make the nautilus bun so loose that the scalp under stem is easy to reach? Thank you! :blossom:

Yesterday I tried a scalp wash using a paranda to tie my length (braided) to the shower curtain rod. That position is definitely comfortable, and as long as I don't accidentally drop the conditioner on the floor of the shower, I should be fine. :) I do need to find a way to protect the length from getting wet still, as it was quite damp afterward from the shower spray. Not soaked, but damp enough that it frizzed up again. I'm thinking maybe plastic wrap held on with elastics? Unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Yay! So glad it works for you! :happydance: Oh yes, I always cover hair with plastic (cling film or even a plastic garbage bags do a good job, if shower caps are too small), otherwise hair gets a bit wet. Elastics hold it in place, but they do tend to slide on plastic, so I have to be careful not to move around too much.

truepeacenik
June 24th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Scalp only works best for me with a handheld sprayer, either in a shower or in a sink.
I have to get the scalp clean all over to feel clean.

I use the braid loosely and hold method in a shower with a fixed head and usually have water no further down than mid neck.
I call that a win.
If necessary, I condition and rinse the ends in the sink using all cold water. Ends on me means about six inches.

Teazel
June 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Teazel, that sounds awesome! :applause
How do you manage to wash the actual "stem" or the scalp area right under the stem? Or do you make the nautilus bun so loose that the scalp under stem is easy to reach? Thank you! :blossom:

Yes, there's enough of a stalk between my fist and head that I can get at my scalp there. I can pull my hair up and down and from side to side, and even wiggle my fingers through the hair to get right down to the scalp. :)

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 05:18 PM
^ Great! Thanks a lot, Teazel! :flowers:

Aderyn
June 25th, 2015, 12:30 AM
To secure a plastic bag/cling wrap/shower cap to your head/hair, you could always try bobby pins or little claw clips.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 2nd, 2016, 10:40 PM
I have taken to doing this and love it so much! With hair at my length, washing and drying the whole lot is getting to be a drag. I scalp washed about half an hour ago and already my scalp hair "looks" dry! And I can keep my hair bunned the whole time too.

If I washed all my hair and allowed it to air dry it could take five, eight, twelve hours to dry, particularly now that the weather is getting cooler.

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 12:12 PM
^ That's exactly my experience, too, Sarahlabyrinth! :hifive:

If it's warm, the scalp area air-dries on its own quickly while I'm doing work with my hair bunned, and if it's cold, I just wrap a t-shirt/towel around scalp only and it dries super-fast, too.
Most of my washes are scalp-only washes now. This method is definitely a winner for me! :D
So happy to see this thread bumped up. :)

Cg
May 3rd, 2016, 12:41 PM
Whenever I've had long hair I've done scalp-only except for once a month when the whole length gets it. It's faster, cheaper, and just as effective.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2016, 02:01 PM
I was just about to ask how often everyone does full length washes, given that scalp-only are so easy and fast, and that the roots get the dirtiest.... what about you, meteor?:)

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 02:25 PM
I was just about to ask how often everyone does full length washes, given that scalp-only are so easy and fast, and that the roots get the dirtiest.... what about you, meteor?:)

^ Honestly, it depends (mostly on my schedule and how much time I have). I'd say, in the beginning, scalp washes allowed me to stretch full washes to every week, then - every 2 weeks, but now I can stretch to once a month (with multiple scalp washes in-between), just like Cg mentioned up-thread.

Mostly, I can stretch so long now, because my scalp-wash technique got better and better with more practice. I used to be able only to get the hairline clean, now the whole scalp gets very clean this way (and I don't mind if some hair from scalp to shoulder gets wet, as well).

Of course, wearing hair up all the time helps, but it looks clean down, too. :shrug: I think, one just needs to be careful not to use too much oil or any other lint-attracting product on length and wear hair up to be able to stretch washes more.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2016, 02:30 PM
Then I don't see why I couldn't do the same, to be honest. It's really the scalp hair that ever looks dirty, and the length is bunned and protected from dust and dirt anyway.... I think once a month full washing sounds great :) At the moment I'm doing a full wash once a week but the weather is cooling off and I am becoming less than enthusiastic about full washes.....at this length and thickness. Of course if the length looked dirty I would do a full wash if it needed it.

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM
^ Sounds like a plan, Sarahlabyrinth! :D Please let us know how it goes! :cheer:

I know we have quite a few members with thud-worthy hair, like Madora, who wash every month or so - I bet it helps them with saving hair from extra washing & grooming wear & tear and makes the mane so much easier to manage.

I love how this method allows me to wash my length at my leisure, only when I want to (let's say if I want to wear it down and do some curls), but I don't have to (since I can always do a quick scalp wash). Really cool method! :thumbsup:

lapushka
May 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM
I do weekly, every Sunday, full wash.

parkmikii
May 3rd, 2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you for bumping this! I plan on trying this the next wash with a really loose braid :D

meteor
May 3rd, 2016, 04:47 PM
^ Yay. I really hope it works for you, parkmikii! :cheer:
Please let us know how it goes. :D

There are quite a few ways of doing it with a braid, for example:
- with braid high on top of head, held up by a hand (from ~1:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6HijoC6U8&feature=youtu.be by coffee&makeup)
- with braid started low at the nape, held down by a bra-strap, over bathtub or large sink (from ~0:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo by Haartraum)
- tying up the braid with a scarf to shower bar or hanger hanging from the shower bar (I don't like it as much because it seriously limits how I can move in the shower).

I think with the braid method, it really helps to leave enough space at the roots before braiding (to make it easier to reach all scalp with fingers) and braid loosely at the beginning and tighter along the way. Also, I cover the braid with a plastic bag, just because I want to keep it dry, since my hands get wet as I tend to change hands a lot while washing, because one hand gets sore from holding the braid up the whole time.

Mimha
May 4th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Oh gosh, I used to do scalp only washes in the past, when I had really long hair... and knew nothing about LHC !! :bigeyes: But it was not to make it easier to dry. It was to avoid soap to dry my length and keep as much sebum on my ends as possible. I could not use the technique of bending over the tub because I have back pain, so I usually wash myself and my hair while standing in the shower. To scalp-only wash, I did a loose braid (so as to be able to rinse easily my hair at my nape area), and I washed my hair with one hand while holing my braid away from the water flow with the other. I thought about attaching it to the shower pipe but I was too afraid of what could have happened if I fell on the floor. And if I had to bend to pick up something in the shower. So I thought of attaching my braid with a long rubber band (the one we use for clothes). I had to do a lot of adjustments to get the perfect length, not move too much, etc. and in the end I was fed up and went back to the scalp washing only with all hair wet. (Meaning that I only massage my scalp with shampoo, not the length, and then rinse it down).

Hum, this thread makes me want to try again. I like to be able to use both hands to massage my scalp when I wash because I use diluted shampoo and it doesn't foam well with only one hand. So my braid (or loose plastic covered bun) must be hanged up with a rubber band or something... *thinking* ...

Mimha
May 4th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I think with the braid method, it really helps to leave enough space at the roots before braiding (to make it easier to reach all scalp with fingers) and braid loosely at the beginning and tighter along the way.

Meteor, instead of braiding all your length, you can as well only braid a part of it : imagine to make a very low ponytail by putting an elastic or a hairtie 10 or 20 cm down your nape and then just braiding the rest of your hair from there. This low hairtie can also be nice to fix the plastic around the braided part until the end. And the unbraided part of your hair will be easy to wash through ! :wink:

parkmikii
May 4th, 2016, 10:07 PM
^ Yay. I really hope it works for you, parkmikii! :cheer:
Please let us know how it goes. :D

There are quite a few ways of doing it with a braid, for example:
- with braid high on top of head, held up by a hand (from ~1:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF6HijoC6U8&feature=youtu.be by coffee&makeup)
- with braid started low at the nape, held down by a bra-strap, over bathtub or large sink (from ~0:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo by Haartraum)
- tying up the braid with a scarf to shower bar or hanger hanging from the shower bar (I don't like it as much because it seriously limits how I can move in the shower).

I think with the braid method, it really helps to leave enough space at the roots before braiding (to make it easier to reach all scalp with fingers) and braid loosely at the beginning and tighter along the way. Also, I cover the braid with a plastic bag, just because I want to keep it dry, since my hands get wet as I tend to change hands a lot while washing, because one hand gets sore from holding the braid up the whole time.

Thank you so much for the advice! :o

parkmikii
May 7th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Alright, updating, the scalp wash was a success! I made a loose braid and washed holding it up and now it's down to dry. I've used some diluted shampoo in an old dye bottle and then rinsed it with warm water and wrapped it in a towel. This thread rocks <3

meteor
May 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Hum, this thread makes me want to try again. I like to be able to use both hands to massage my scalp when I wash because I use diluted shampoo and it doesn't foam well with only one hand. So my braid (or loose plastic covered bun) must be hanged up with a rubber band or something... *thinking* ...

Have you heard of PonyDry (http://www.ponydry.com/) tool, Mimha? It just hides your pony or braid like a hair sleeve but keeps your scalp exposed, allowing you to use both hands for washing. I think it can help with the using both hands issue... Probably good for beach days, too. Here is the LHC thread on it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047

Alternatively, starting with a bun covered in plastic, and switching to a braid later can help - arms don't get tired as quickly, I find. :)

Meteor, instead of braiding all your length, you can as well only braid a part of it : imagine to make a very low ponytail by putting an elastic or a hairtie 10 or 20 cm down your nape and then just braiding the rest of your hair from there. This low hairtie can also be nice to fix the plastic around the braided part until the end. And the unbraided part of your hair will be easy to wash through ! :wink:

Great idea! Thanks a lot, Mimha! :flowers: That's pretty much what I do now, too, only without an elastic. I bet an elastic would hold the plastic around the braid better though - so that's great tip for hair that's hard to hold tight with a plastic wrap (shower cap/grocery bag/etc). :)

Alright, updating, the scalp wash was a success! I made a loose braid and washed holding it up and now it's down to dry. I've used some diluted shampoo in an old dye bottle and then rinsed it with warm water and wrapped it in a towel. This thread rocks <3

Yay! :joy: That sounds awesome, parkmikii! So happy to hear it worked from the first try! :cheer: I find it gets easier and easier, kind of more intuitive, with practice - muscle memory and all! ;)

parkmikii
May 7th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Yay! :joy: That sounds awesome, parkmikii! So happy to hear it worked from the first try! :cheer: I find it gets easier and easier, kind of more intuitive, with practice - muscle memory and all! ;)

Can it get easier than this? :o

Also, my length felt a bit dry after even though no water touched it, but this might be because I sat in the sun for the roots to dry I guess XD
Either way, thank you for the advice ♥

parkmikii
May 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Another question: did anyone notice less shedding with scalp washes? .-.
Usually on wash day I lose a lot of hair but after the second scalp wash I noticed way less shedding than usually (about 60% less) and I'm in awe. Could it be that I was actually causing breakage while washing the full hair?

meteor
May 13th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Another question: did anyone notice less shedding with scalp washes? .-.
Usually on wash day I lose a lot of hair but after the second scalp wash I noticed way less shedding than usually (about 60% less) and I'm in awe. Could it be that I was actually causing breakage while washing the full hair?

Oh yes, I did notice a lot less shedding, too, definitely (compared to a full wash). :agree: In fact, I lose just as much (or just a tiny bit more) hair on scalp-wash day as on any non-wash day. But on my full wash day, I always lose significantly more both during wash and after (while drying and detangling).

I attribute it to less aggressive manipulation. And by that, I don't mean the massage, after all, I massage my scalp just as much, if not more, when I do scalp-only washes. I think it's due to length not being wet and being constantly moved, separated, detangled..., when it's wet and fragile - this invariably causes me extra hair strands pulled out unnecessarily during full washes and the long detangling that happens post-wash.

With scalp washes, I just let the scalp area dry, either air-dry after blotting with a towel or towel-dry wrapped in a tower/t-shirt like a turban with dry braid sticking out. Then I go to bed and I detangle only in the morning: by that time, there are no tangles and I don't lose any more strands than I would on any other non-wash hair day.

There is also a possibility that the reduced shedding is due to the fact that hairs that are ready to come out are "trapped" in the mane and aren't all removed until a full wash occurs, but even if it's so, I don't see how that's a problem :hmm:, since I still comb my hair and do thorough scalp massages while scalp-washing. I feel like all the strands that should come out do, or at least most of them do, and I simply avoid some excessive shedding that could happen from over-manipulation. :hmm:

parkmikii
May 13th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Oh yes, I did notice a lot less shedding, too, definitely (compared to a full wash). :agree: In fact, I lose just as much (or just a tiny bit more) hair on scalp-wash day as on any non-wash day. But on my full wash day, I always lose significantly more both during wash and after (while drying and detangling).

I attribute it to less aggressive manipulation. And by that, I don't mean the massage, after all, I massage my scalp just as much, if not more, when I do scalp-only washes. I think it's due to length not being wet and being constantly moved, separated, detangled..., when it's wet and fragile - this invariably causes me extra hair strands pulled out unnecessarily during full washes and the long detangling that happens post-wash.

With scalp washes, I just let the scalp area dry, either air-dry after blotting with a towel or towel-dry wrapped in a tower/t-shirt like a turban with dry braid sticking out. Then I go to bed and I detangle only in the morning: by that time, there are no tangles and I don't lose any more strands than I would on any other non-wash hair day.

There is also a possibility that the reduced shedding is due to the fact that hairs that are ready to come out are "trapped" in the mane and aren't all removed until a full wash occurs, but even if it's so, I don't see how that's a problem :hmm:, since I still comb my hair and do thorough scalp massages while scalp-washing. I feel like all the strands that should come out do, or at least most of them do, and I simply avoid some excessive shedding that could happen from over-manipulation. :hmm:

Thank you for the answer! I've calmed now a bit as I thought I'm actually causing breakage on the full washes and that concerned me a little XD

Sarahlabyrinth
May 13th, 2016, 03:10 PM
I am doing scalp only washes once a week now and it is making life So .Much. Easier :happydance:

meteor
May 13th, 2016, 03:42 PM
^ Awesome! :thumbsup: Yes, I couldn't agree more on making life easier... :agree: I don't know how I'd still handle my hair at current length without scalp-only washes - it's like the perfect long-hair hack. ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 3rd, 2016, 12:53 AM
...Bumping this thread in case some of the newbies here would like to try scalp only washing :)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
October 3rd, 2016, 05:51 AM
Thank you Sarahlabyrinth for bumping this thread.

summergame
October 3rd, 2016, 07:52 AM
With my apl length I don't think this will work already for me, waiting for longer hair! :D

lithostoic
October 3rd, 2016, 07:54 AM
Maybe I've got the length to do this now ... Hmmm.

vampyyri
October 3rd, 2016, 08:57 AM
I do this all the time in between full washes, it is indeed the perfect long hair hack!

maborosi
October 3rd, 2016, 08:18 PM
I've been more keen on doing scalp-only washes, especially when I know I won't have a lot of time to sit and let my hair dry. I usually do a loose bun on top of my head- leaving enough slack to let me wash at the base of it, then tightly wrap it with two shower caps. This will generally keep out the water and make it easier for me just to do my scalp. :3

mizukitty
October 3rd, 2016, 08:31 PM
Amazing. Thanks for the video - seeing something really helps me grasp the concept.

Flipgirl24
October 3rd, 2016, 11:29 PM
I do a scalp only wash then take the length out and put conditioner on it. My hair is almost bsl but I like to keep the ends moisturized.

Cg
October 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM
I did this 50 years ago. Back then no blow dryers, and it took > 12 hours to air dry the whole length.

meteor
October 4th, 2016, 11:36 AM
So happy to see this thread bumped up. :D
Scalp-only washes make my routine really lazy :lol: , they save my ends from excessive manipulation, exposure to detergents and hygral fatigue and they save me a ton of time. :cloud9:

With my apl length I don't think this will work already for me, waiting for longer hair! :D

Maybe I've got the length to do this now ... Hmmm.

Only one way to find out! :eyebrows:
Seriously though, I remember it took me quite a while to master this, and at first I got too much of the length wet because I couldn't coordinate it all easily... But practice really makes perfect with scalp-only washes. :)
As long as the hair is long enough to be bunned or braided, it should work. I think if my hair was too short for 1 braid or 1 bun, I'd try it with 2 or 3 braids or buns instead of one. I'd just wrap each braid in a plastic cap/wrap and put an elastic on top and try it this way. :)

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Reading this thread with serious long-hair envy! My hair takes 8 hours+ to air dry at a couple of inches short of apl...I hate to think how much longer it'll take as it grows. Slightly unsure how I'd make this work when it's long enough as I stand out of the shower and bend forward under the shower head tipping my head upside-down and I use cold water only to preserve my colour.

meteor
October 5th, 2016, 07:47 AM
^ That sounds perfect for scalp-only washes then, DoomKitty. :thumbsup: I think they are perfect for thick hair that takes ages to dry (there will be only roots to dry) and for preserving colour, because you wouldn't be exposing dyed ends to so much water (the great dye fader).

If you wash your hair upside down, no problem, you can do a high bun or a high braid (by flipping hair upside down and braiding it, inverted, in front of your eyes). When you are done washing the scalp, just wrap a towel/t-shirt around your scalp but let the braid stick out from the top. Sometimes just blotting really fast with a couple towels works. I think the important thing is to start blotting or wrap in a towel wet area right away, otherwise the water can drip to dry areas. It gets pretty easy over time though, like muscle memory. ;)

JaneHathaway
October 5th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Been stretching routine washes to a week and that's not until Saturday. I have 6 chrysanthemums to plant today and I'll try some version of scalp-only washing in my post-planting shower. My scalp will have gotten sweaty and it'll be a good test for whether I can successfully do this with my SL hair.

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 03:53 PM
^ That sounds perfect for scalp-only washes then, DoomKitty. :thumbsup: I think they are perfect for thick hair that takes ages to dry (there will be only roots to dry) and for preserving colour, because you wouldn't be exposing dyed ends to so much water (the great dye fader).

If you wash your hair upside down, no problem, you can do a high bun or a high braid (by flipping hair upside down and braiding it, inverted, in front of your eyes). When you are done washing the scalp, just wrap a towel/t-shirt around your scalp but let the braid stick out from the top. Sometimes just blotting really fast with a couple towels works. I think the important thing is to start blotting or wrap in a towel wet area right away, otherwise the water can drip to dry areas. It gets pretty easy over time though, like muscle memory. ;)

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit dumb...it's 8am here lol. But when I wash my hair my entire length gets wet from the water running down from my roots as my head is upside down (nape to shower head is the high point) under the entire shower head which I can't avoid. So putting it in a high bun or an inverted braid won't work. Unless I wash it in the laundry sink; it's the only one big enough apart from the kitchen...hmmm.

Cg
October 5th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Sorry if I'm sounding a bit dumb...it's 8am here lol. But when I wash my hair my entire length gets wet from the water running down from my roots as my head is upside down (nape to shower head is the high point) under the entire shower head which I can't avoid. So putting it in a high bun or an inverted braid won't work. Unless I wash it in the laundry sink; it's the only one big enough apart from the kitchen...hmmm.

The sink will work fine, that's where I do mine. I used to just stuff the length into a shirt with tight collar when it wasn't long enough to braid and wrap around the faucet. That worked well.

animetor7
October 5th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Many people put it up in a braid or bun and then cover that with a shower cap or something which prevents the length from getting wet. My preferred method is to loosely braid it and stuff the braid under my bra strap and shirt then wash only my roots by leaning into the shower and only getting the top of my head wet. But I think the plastic covered braid/bun method is more adaptable for shorter hair.

meteor
October 5th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Oh no, no need to apologize, DoomKitty - I simply didn't explain it well, sorry :flower: The idea with a braid is to wrap it in plastic and hold it out of the direction where the water flows. So if you are doing a scalp wash in the shower, I'd hold the braid above and away from the showerhead. If you are doing it over a sink, then I'd do a low braid (normal, not inverted) and maybe tuck it under collar (though if it's still short it could slide forward) or hold it above your head with one hand. The arm does get sore, but I just switch back and forth between two arms to make it easier. I find scalp washes over a large sink easier. ;)

I think there are options of hanging a braid (once it's long enough) on a hanger or tie it to shower bar with a scarf/paranda braided in, but I find it pretty risky and actually not comfortable - it constrains the movement range significantly.

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 04:15 PM
The sink will work fine, that's where I do mine. I used to just stuff the length into a shirt with tight collar when it wasn't long enough to braid and wrap around the faucet. That worked well.

Many people put it up in a braid or bun and then cover that with a shower cap or something which prevents the length from getting wet. My preferred method is to loosely braid it and stuff the braid under my bra strap and shirt then wash only my roots by leaning into the shower and only getting the top of my head wet. But I think the plastic covered braid/bun method is more adaptable for shorter hair.

That would work I think, it'd be a matter of making sure I didn't tip my head back, only forward. I'll have to give it a try, although my kids will think I'm nuts :D

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Well, it's the kids' job to think you are nuts:)

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Oh no, no need to apologize, DoomKitty - I simply didn't explain it well, sorry :flower: The idea with a braid is to wrap it in plastic and hold it out of the direction where the water flows. So if you are doing a scalp wash in the shower, I'd hold the braid above and away from the showerhead. If you are doing it over a sink, then I'd do a low braid (normal, not inverted) and maybe tuck it under collar (though if it's still short it could slide forward) or hold it above your head with one hand. The arm does get sore, but I just switch back and forth between two arms to make it easier. I find scalp washes over a large sink easier. ;)

I think there are options of hanging a braid (once it's long enough) on a hanger or tie it to shower bar with a scarf/paranda braided in, but I find it pretty risky and actually not comfortable - it constrains the movement range significantly.

I don't think it would work for my shower as I stand out of the stall completely and I have a large shower head that covers a huge area so there's no avoiding the spray, but I think the sink would work well. It'd probably work for full washes too atm now that I think about it, I dont think my hair is long enough to sit in the sink and not rinse properly. Thanks :)

meteor
October 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM
... and if at some point it gets too difficult, there is always the PonyDry option, too ;) : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047

DoomKitty
October 5th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Well, it's the kids' job to think you are nuts:)

Hahaha that's true!

JaneHathaway
October 5th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Tried this for the first time this afternoon as I showered. I was concerned about thoroughly rinsing out the shampoo from all around without getting my covered bun wet, but managed just fine (albeit awkwardly). Plus my hair's almost dry! I'll definitely be doing this again.

meteor
October 5th, 2016, 05:41 PM
^ Yay, congrats, JaneHathaway! :D