PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar bun more like a bar of soap than a rock

ashke50
February 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Hi all,
The Gibraltar bun is meant to "hold like a rock", but unless that name is sarcastic, I must be doing something wrong with it! I've done a cinnabun, pulled the inner loop out over the sides and stuck a hair stick through it (pointing in then across, as is best with hairsticks), but it keeps slipping out, and I've now had to redo it about 5 times. Anyone have any hints or tips on how to get this bun to hold?! I don't usually have problems with buns, although I do have to admit that I usually use spin pins to hold cinnabuns rather than sticks.

Help?

Johannah
February 5th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I'm having the same problem. Going to follow this thread.

Kherome
February 5th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Have you watched 4ypn0tica's youtube on it? I like hers best.

sumidha
February 5th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Huh, that's not one I've ever had trouble with, I admit. When you're inserting the hairstick are you catching scalp hair or mostly bun? This how-to describes what I'm talking about a lot better than I could:

"The trick is to use the hairstick to pierce the inner coil. Make the inner coil a tiny TINY bit loose. You can learn how loose just from practicing a few times, and there's an excellent chance that the first time you make it, it will be too tight for comfort.

Pierce the inner coil with the hairstick reversed, then turn it toward the center of the bun and go underneath, directly through the center. When the tip begins to poke out the other side, tug down the inner coil again and pierce it with the hairstick again."

Sorry that's all I've got! I really do hope it starts working for you though, it really is super solid when it's right. :flower:

ashke50
February 12th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Huh, that's not one I've ever had trouble with, I admit. When you're inserting the hairstick are you catching scalp hair or mostly bun? This how-to describes what I'm talking about a lot better than I could:

"The trick is to use the hairstick to pierce the inner coil. Make the inner coil a tiny TINY bit loose. You can learn how loose just from practicing a few times, and there's an excellent chance that the first time you make it, it will be too tight for comfort.

Pierce the inner coil with the hairstick reversed, then turn it toward the center of the bun and go underneath, directly through the center. When the tip begins to poke out the other side, tug down the inner coil again and pierce it with the hairstick again."

Sorry that's all I've got! I really do hope it starts working for you though, it really is super solid when it's right. :flower:

I tried again today, following the instructions you gave, and it does seem a lot more secure. Thanks! I think I wasn't piercing the coil, just going around it, which was where the problem came from.

spidermom
February 12th, 2014, 07:25 AM
This is a bun I've never had a problem with, except that it doesn't hold my current layers very well.