PDA

View Full Version : MSM and shedding

milque
February 5th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Hi there.

I'm quite new to this forum (been lurking for most of it) and all this hair care. I've recently started taking MSM like about 2 weeks ago and recently noticed more hair shedding than before.

Before MSM I would normally shed 30-40, more on wash days. But recently I've counted my hair and I shed about 60 on non-wash days and close to 100 on wash days! I'm trying to not freak out, but isn't MSM supposed to prolong your growing phase hence decrease shedding?

I can't think of anything else that might cause this. I'm not stressed, and I try to eat healthy.

Any advice, anyone? Thanks!

Johannah
February 5th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I don't know a lot about MSM, but a person can shed around 100 hairs per day so you don't need to panic! If you are going to shed much more, you probably should stop taking MSM :)

milque
February 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I don't know a lot about MSM, but a person can shed around 100 hairs per day so you don't need to panic! If you are going to shed much more, you probably should stop taking MSM :)

I read that about the average too, but 100 seems quite an awful lot to me. When my hair shed close to a hundred the hairball that resulted looked like a black unruly hamster. :( Yeah I might get off the MSM if this doesn't stop in the next 2 weeks.

I looked up on Google and found that built up sebum on scalp can also causes shedding? Is this true? Coz about a month ago I've been stretching my washes and there is a sort of layer of sebum on my scalp. Does this mean I have to clarify?

Sorry for the many questions, but it really worries me to see a large clump of hair in the bathroom! shudder:

**Vera**
February 10th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I read that about the average too, but 100 seems quite an awful lot to me. When my hair shed close to a hundred the hairball that resulted looked like a black unruly hamster. :( Yeah I might get off the MSM if this doesn't stop in the next 2 weeks.

I looked up on Google and found that built up sebum on scalp can also causes shedding? Is this true? Coz about a month ago I've been stretching my washes and there is a sort of layer of sebum on my scalp. Does this mean I have to clarify?

Sorry for the many questions, but it really worries me to see a large clump of hair in the bathroom! shudder:

Yes most definitely. Build up sebum does cause excessive hairfall so clear that up first then see if you still have the problem while taking msm. I dont believe in average 100 hairs falling being normal. If this is not what you usually shed when you have a clean, healthy scalp and when in good health in general than it is not normal for YOU. So clean up the buildup. If you are worried about the health of your length than maybe oil it prior clarifying or put conditioner on it.

milque
February 11th, 2014, 06:21 AM
So I stopped the MSM last week because I couldn't stomach all that shedding any longer and ALMOST IMMEDIATELY saw significantly less shedding than when I was on it. I was back on my normal shedding rate at ~30 hairs per day (more on wash days)!

I guess MSM just doesn't work for me. I'm stumped as to why though, since it's supposed to DECREASE shedding. Oh well.

**Vera**
February 11th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Good for you :).

I googled to see if other people reported shedding after msm. Something i found reading around at one site

My doctor had told me that the only way MSM could cause hair loss was due to heavy metal toxicity.Apparently he was right in my case.

http://healthyawareness.com/thread-msm-excerpts-from-our-candida-forum
I have no idea whether it is true or not.

Northerner
March 11th, 2014, 04:12 PM
My hair loss got worse since I started taking MSM. Not sure if it's because of MSM, or just a coincidence. I took 500mg for 3 months, been on 1000mg for the last 3 months.