PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for a tender head?

Foxylocks
February 4th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Apologies if there is already a thread for this. Anyway, I am extremely tenderheaded. I need an everyday style that is very gentle and comfortable. I have tried braids and a few buns, and (surprisingly) braids cause more pain. Wearing my hair down isn't an option as my hair is somewhat prone to splitting due to friction. Any recommendations? My scalp hurts so terribly, but I can't stand my loose hair swinging in my face...

Madora
February 4th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Heidi braids are comfy. Just braid loosely.

It sounds like your scalp follicles need training. Wear the Heidi braids for an hour then take them down if the pain becomes too much. Next day, try leaving them up for a little longer. Increase the time you leave them up over the next couple of weeks until you don't have any pain after leaving them up all day.

You might want to look into a simple all in one clip (no hinges) to contain your hair when it isn't confined. Just clip it loosely at the nape. The rest of the hair can be loosely braided, or "caterpillared" with soft scrunchies down the length.

Katrine
February 4th, 2014, 06:12 PM
When my scalp starts to feel sore I like to wear a headband with a bun. The headband is under the bun and helps support it which means I can wear the bun without pain.

Foxylocks
February 4th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, headbands almost instigated traction alopecia. That's how sensitive my scalp is... the slightest wrong step destroys it. But thank you for trying to help.

When my scalp starts to feel sore I like to wear a headband with a bun. The headband is under the bun and helps support it which means I can wear the bun without pain.

Foxylocks
February 4th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Thank you, I will try this. The scalp training idea is genius. Are Heidi braids the ones that you wrap around your head, or is it just two simple braids?

Heidi braids are comfy. Just braid loosely.

It sounds like your scalp follicles need training. Wear the Heidi braids for an hour then take them down if the pain becomes too much. Next day, try leaving them up for a little longer. Increase the time you leave them up over the next couple of weeks until you don't have any pain after leaving them up all day.

You might want to look into a simple all in one clip (no hinges) to contain your hair when it isn't confined. Just clip it loosely at the nape. The rest of the hair can be loosely braided, or "caterpillared" with soft scrunchies down the length.

Foxylocks
February 4th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Any other ideas?

Madora
February 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Thank you, I will try this. The scalp training idea is genius. Are Heidi braids the ones that you wrap around your head, or is it just two simple braids?

Heidi braids are two braids that you can wrap around your head..2 simple braids (of course you can dress it up and make it 2 rope braids, or 2 cable plaits, or 2 fishtail braids). Be sure and braid loosely. Nothing should pull or hurt..including the hairpins you use.

The hair follicle training may take longer in your case since your scalp appears to be very tender and susceptible to pain easily. I know how a painful a scalp can be after the hairs have been taken in a different direction than they are used to! you don't even want to touch your head because it hurts so much!

PS This 2 strand laced rope accent braid is relatively easy to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Because of foot and shoulder issues, I don't do this standing up, but do it with all my hair in front of me, like a curtain. I start at the top of my right ear, then work across the front of my head to the top of my left ear, then stand, change hands, and continue braiding around to where I began.

If you are successful in training your scalp to accept other hairstyles, you might want to keep in mind that it pays to section your hair in order to wear it more comfortably (you're distributing the weight over a wider surface area by sectioning, rather than placing all the weight in one spot. Much better for your scalp too!)