PDA

View Full Version : How often do you SMT in the winter?

Long_hair_bear
February 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Hey all!

Due to my hair's love of drying out in the winter, I'm considering doing weekly SMTs. How often do you do them in the winter? Do you think weekly is a good idea? :rolleyes:

muddblood21
February 4th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I am relatively new to SMT, but my hair LOVES a bi-monthly SMT. I have been doing it since about October. I think it is kind of it as an "at home, spa type, de-stress" kind of treat for me AND my hair. lol

Katrine
February 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM
After the Fall temps (and dryness) set in I started doing SMT more frequently. It's once a week now and my length appreciates it. Since my hair is feeling better, I may go back to every other week.

Stiria
February 4th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I used to do weekly deep treatments all year round, but after I began CO washing I found that my hair didn't need it anymore. I think you should try it, if your hair feels dry. If it works, then great. If it dosen't, you could aways try to do them every other week, or once a month. How often do you do them now?

Johannah
February 4th, 2014, 12:05 PM
My hair doesn't like SMT, so I'm not doing it, but when my hair got dry because of the weather I did deep treatments every week. You'll notice if your hair likes it or not. It's definitely not a 'problem' to do it every week though!

sarahthegemini
February 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I don't do deep treatments/smt type things at all regardless of what time of year it is. I co-wash, use a rich RO and a proteiny LI and that's all my hair needs.

Firefox7275
February 4th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Never, I use more oils/ lipids in winter.

Marika
February 4th, 2014, 01:29 PM
My hair doesn't like SMT in the winter. Winters over here can be quite brutal and if the air is really dry, SMT is a no-no (too drying for hair). Sometimes I might do a deep treatment with some commercial product but usually I'm too lazy. Pre-wash oilings and CWC help with extra-dryness. SMT works great when it's not freezing and dry outside. Then I do it maybe twice a month..?

mariakatija
February 4th, 2014, 03:00 PM
What's SMT?

allycat
February 4th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Mariakatija , here you go: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I'm also not doing SMT now. What seems to be working for me in this cold dry weather is olive oil on damp ends. Normally I avoid oils, but it's transformed my dry winter hair.

sourgrl
February 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Firefox7275 what are you using as far as lipids go? A certain conditioner? Oil?

TrapperCreekD
February 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I was doing a SMT with every wash (~5 days) for a month or so, because my hair needs all the moisture it can get, but then it got colder and the humidity dipped low enough that the humectants wouldn't be doing me any favors. Now, if the forecast calls for three or four days of rain around wash day then I'll do an SMT, otherwise I just condition twice.

mariakatija
February 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Thank you, allycat!

PraiseCheeses
February 4th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Um, so I know this is probably going to sound really weird even for a longhair board, but my conditioning treatments are based around the weather forecast. :silly: We get a lot of cold, dry days... and we also get a few relatively warm, wet, humid days. I'll SMT (my version is just adding glycerin to a moisturizing conditioner) if it's going to be warm and rainy. If we're looking at upcoming dry, cold weather, I'll use a shea-butter based shampoo and conditioner and avoid adding any humectants.

HintOfMint
February 4th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I do SMTs pretty much every time I wash my hair--I use it as a regular conditioner. The steam from the shower really helps the SMT moisturize my hair. I wouldn't recommend it just hanging around the house, what with the dry air and the fact that humectants can suck moisture out of your hair in really dry weather. After I get out of the shower, I make sure to use some sort of sealant, like an oil.