PDA

View Full Version : How do you properly shampoo and condition your hair?

FallingDarkness
February 3rd, 2014, 08:57 PM
Dumb question. I know. But with all this talk about shampooing being harmful for hair due to "mechanical damage" from improper wash techniques, I'm scared that I'm doing it all wrong. :( Plus idk might as well figure out if I'm conditioning correctly too. :P

Leslieslsa
February 3rd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Well I have had a few heads of really long hair, and this is what I do, don't know if it is the "proper" way, but everyone is different. I only shampoo my scalp then I let the rest of the shampoo wash down the hair on it's own. Massaging the scalp in the process is also a good idea. Sulfate free shampoo is the best kind to use because sulfates can be damaging. As for which shampoo and conditioner, that is ultimately up to your hair, as everyone is different. Also stretch washes as long as possible in between. For conditioning, I only condition from the nape of the neck down. The scalp doesn't need it. A lot of the time I will put it in a shower cap and let it sit for like five minutes. Sometimes I even do this whole process twice. Then I put a leave in in after I get done. This is just what I do personally. Others may have other suggestions. Oh and I also keep my nails short so that when I massage shampoo into my scalp my nails don't scratch my hair up. You don't have to do that, it is just something I do.

FallingDarkness
February 3rd, 2014, 09:26 PM
Your hair is soooooo pretty. :o
That's a great idea, regarding shampoo. I pick at my nails out of nervousness (bad bad bad habit, I know, but I can't help myself) so I have no problems there! I'm already using sulfate free shampoo for the most part :)
You've been so much of a help, thanks sooooo much!

bmcfarland
February 3rd, 2014, 10:42 PM
My routine is just like Leslie's, except for my hair being much shorter, so I apply my conditioner from the middle of the hair, downward. I also cup my hair in my hands while I rinse and massage the scalp with my other hand. I feel like the cupping technique is the most useful. Everything is done very gently and slowly, since my hair has had way too much heat and chemical damage in the past year. I only put my fingers through my hair when I am applying conditioner. I guess I'm terrified of snapping my hair while it's wet! I only shampoo (sulfate free) one or two times per month, as needed.

Edit: Also, just an addition to Leslie's comment about clipping her nails. I also do this, I feel like my nails are just scratching and irritating my scalp when they aren't trimmed up. Or I just use my finger pads.

lapushka
February 4th, 2014, 05:47 AM
This might be a good video to watch, to put your mind at ease:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnlC12W8vk

Carolyn
February 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I detangle and brush before washing to get rid of any tangles and shed hairs. I shampoo my scalp and let the suds run down the length. The exceptions to that would be when I am clarifying to get rid of build up and when I am using a blue/violet shampoo to combat warm tones. Then I shampoo the entire length. I condition the whole length of my hair. I have no issues with conditioner on my scalp and my hair is much easier to comb after washing if all my hair has been conditioned. I never pile my hair on top of my head in the washing process. I think piling hair up while shampooing causes tangles and damage. It looks great in the shampoo commercials and in the movies but it's not a good real life practice. Stretching washes doesn't work for everyone. I believe in washing my hair any day I want clean hair.

Firefox7275
February 4th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Dumb question. I know. But with all this talk about shampooing being harmful for hair due to "mechanical damage" from improper wash techniques, I'm scared that I'm doing it all wrong. :( Plus idk might as well figure out if I'm conditioning correctly too. :P

Shampooing is more than mechanical damage, harsh surfactants can strip structural lipids and proteins from hair as can water (hygral fatigue).

Some good articles on deep conditioning on the Natural Haven blog and Sciencey Hairblog including information on time, temperature and technique.

Leslieslsa
February 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Your hair is soooooo pretty. :o
That's a great idea, regarding shampoo. I pick at my nails out of nervousness (bad bad bad habit, I know, but I can't help myself) so I have no problems there! I'm already using sulfate free shampoo for the most part :)
You've been so much of a help, thanks sooooo much!

You're welcome :-)

Madora
February 6th, 2014, 07:33 PM
I guess it would vary from person to person..and depending on hair type.

Personally, I thoroughly detangle and brush my hair before stepping into the shower. I also take measures to aid against detangling during the shampooing/conditioning/rinsing process: i.e. I center part my hair then braid one side. After I've thoroughly saturated my hair, I pour my diluted GM Pink Crème shampoo all over my head and hair length. I shampoo one side, then undo the braid and shampoo that side. I try and keep both sides separate and shampoo in one direction at a time..crown to nape, then front to back. I rinse out the shampoo then shampoo again. (the first shampoo was to remove surface dirt. the second shampoo was to cleanse the scalp). The hair is then rinsed thoroughly, finishing with a brief cold rinse. I shampoo in the head down position and rinse the same way.I use 4 drops of mineral oil to detangle.

swearnsue
February 6th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Madora, I tried washing in the head down position but my neck can't handle it. Puts a strain on it and I have arthritis in my spine. I also cringe at the cold rinse part! Good grief. Sounds awful. But I do turn the hot water down a bit to a coolish warm temperature. Kind of a compromise.

Nadine <3
February 6th, 2014, 10:29 PM
recently I've been coating my length in my cheapy suave that I have left from when I was CO washing. Then I massage just my scalp with the rose hip scented herbal essences, rinse and then condition with the matching conditioner. I let that sit in my hair while I do my other shower things. Nothing fancy. Every so often I switch it up. I have a ton of shampoos I can choose from.