PDA

View Full Version : heavy hair, headaches

PixieLinds
February 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM
As my hair grows longer, the weight obviously grows as well. Any tips for me on helping with the headaches that come long with it?

Madora
February 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Do you mean headaches as in the migraine type...or your scalp hurts?

If its is the former, then perhaps a checkup with your physician would be a good idea.

If it is your roots/scalp that are hurting, that is usually due to your strands being drawn in a direction that they are not accustomed to.

You don't mention how long your hair is. Be sure you are not pulling or twisting or braiding it tightly.

The trick to wearing long hair is to section it. Don't glom it all in one place on your head...to much weight for the space. Instead, divide the hair in half by making a horizontal part from the top of one ear, around the back of the head, to the top of the other ear.

Take the hair above the part, comb it out gently, then braid it or twist it. Form a coil by holding the coil against your scalp, then pinning it with hairpins in several places as you make the coil.

Take the remainder of the hair, comb it gently, then braid it or twist it around the bun already made. Voila..one double bun..or double braid...or whatever.

With this sectioning technique your hair is evenly distributed on your head, making it easier to wear for hours at a time...or all day for that matter.

One caution: If your hair has not been accustomed to being put up, your roots might protest at the new style. In that case, gradually introduce the style to your scalp by leaving it up for an hour (or however long you can stand it before it begins to hurt). When it hurts, take it down. Next day, try wearing it up a little bit longer. In two weeks, see if you can wear it up all day. You have to train your follicles gradually.

You can also section your hair by wearing Heidi braids (milkmaid braids), or a coronet braid around your head.

Lastly, be sure you are not pulling your hair too tightly...or braiding it too tightly either.

AmyBeth
February 3rd, 2014, 09:26 PM
I can't help you, but I do envy you your problem:).

Laura-Anne
February 3rd, 2014, 10:09 PM
I notice that when I use cones my hair feels MUCH more heavy than normal and weighs it down. Which makes sense. Cones coat the hair, so if you cut out cones that should help. Theoretically. At least for me that helps. :) that's part of the reason why I've cut out all cones from my hair routine.
And as for the headaches, your hairs weight might not be the reason for it. If it is interrupting your every day life, you should get it checked out by your doc just to be safe. :)
HTH

PixieLinds
February 4th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I couldnt measure my hair by myself when I signed up and had my mother measure it for my last night and im at 27 1/4" its always in a pony tail or down. But its very thick, so I get a headache from it, not really a migraine, but if I lay down for a few minutes, and take the weight off it goes away.

I know its the weight of my hair, because when I cut it last, in October 2013 to just above my shoulders, I never got a headache. Just recently ive started getting them again (this is why I cut it off then) I was just wondering if there is any way to combat heavy hair.

spidermom
February 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM
So you're bothered by the weight of your hair even when it is not in an up-do?

Mine only bothered me in up-styles at around hip length blunt cut. Since I got it cut back to waist length with layers, even up-styles don't bother me. I can only do two or three though. I'm really enjoying how light in weight my hair feels now.

PixieLinds
February 4th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Im wondering if I should suck it up and go get it thinned out. Im terrified of going to the salon. I had a "trim" done in July, that was only supposed to be an inch. I was very specific and came out with almost 3 inches off. So I avoid going anywhere near anyone with scissors. I measured my pony (this is after flat ironing it so its much "thinner" then when I let it air dry and be curly) and its a tad over 4" around. Its much more when left to be curly. I can only wrap my band around twice and thats pushing it.

dulce
February 4th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I had a layered scissor v cut done by my hubbie,,that reduced the weight for me at almost classic.I never do any thinning as once the thinned hairs grow out,in my hair they will stick up all over.

PixieLinds
February 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Once im able to add pictures i will post some of my crazy mop. I have to figure something out. I do not want to cut it again. I love it long. I often get asked if my son is my little brother. Lol im 32 and hes 9.

turtlelover
February 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I think layers are less risky than thinning. I've seen people end up w/ stringy messes when they asked for their hair to be thinned!

PixieLinds
February 5th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Thats partially why i have still avoided going to get my hair trimmed or cut or anything. I worry im going to make a mistake and end up with my hair shorter than I want it.