PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-fitness and hair - questions

DancingQueen
February 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I have started to take some aqua fitness lessons once a week (45 minutes each), and I am really enjoying them. But I have a few questions for you guys.

1) How much damage will this kind of exposure do to my hair?
2) Would it be okay to shampoo, condition and blow-dry my hair afterwards? (Other than that, I air dry, and I wash 2-3 times a week)
3) Currently, I am doing a cinnamon bun with regular bobby pins. Is there a more hair-friendly solution? (my hair is between APL and BSL)

I know I could wear a swimming cap, but I kind of don't feel like it, as none else does, and it is not really swimming, but fitness in the water. Thank you in advance. :)

G1ll
February 3rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
I'm a lifeguard/swim instructor, and I'm in a chlorinated pool at least three times a week, so I have quite a bit of experience dealing with chlorine in hair. To answer your questions...
1) How much damage will this kind of exposure do to my hair?
Chlorine is gonna dry out your hair, no matter how much TLC you give it. So expect some dryness.
2) Would it be okay to shampoo, condition and blow-dry my hair afterwards? (Other than that, I air dry, and I wash 2-3 times a week)
YES! You are going to need to shampoo, asap after, I would follow up with a conditioner because it will add some softness. Chlorine is quite difficult to get out of the hair. I've read that club soda can get it out but I'm skeptical. I personally don't blow dry my hair at all but if you like it, go ahead.
3) Currently, I am doing a cinnamon bun with regular bobby pins. Is there a more hair-friendly solution? (my hair is between APL and BSL)
I would say that the style you've got going on now is pretty good. Anything that keeps your hair neat and knot free is good. You could braid it if you're looking for a different style.

Honestly, when it comes to chlorine, USE OIL. Oil and water don't mix... And it will act as a shield against the chlorinated water. If you're not one for oil, wet your hair before the class and put in some conditioner.
Have fun with your class! Hope this helps.

SkyChild
February 3rd, 2014, 05:04 PM
Yup, I agree with G1ll. A bun-like style to keep hair out of the water as much as possible is a good idea. Shampoo and condition ASAP and I would leave it to air-dry if possible, usually because pool hairdryers SUCK.
The mane (lol) thing is to get the chlorine out of your hair as soon as your can. I would also back up using oil as a barrier

DancingQueen
February 3rd, 2014, 11:33 PM
I guess oil would be an idea. I would prefer avoiding blowdryers as well, but it is very cold outside right now, and it is simply too cold to go out with wet hair. I can bring my own dryer, so would it be that bad if I did it once a week, maybe on the cold setting?

Right now, I am just rinsing with water, put the wet hair up, go home and shampoo + condition, and let it air dry. But this is a bit too much time required, and in and out of showers. So I guess I was looking for something a little easier. :)

G1ll
February 4th, 2014, 09:54 AM
As long as you're okay with using a blow dryer on your hair I think it's fine.
Yeah, after I work I usually just wait to shower until I get home, I know it's time consuming but there really isn't any other way. :(

Firefox7275
February 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM
I would oil: that should protect from splashes, and will not contaminate the pool water if you are not immersing your head at all.

Johannah
February 4th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I would oil: that should protect from splashes, and will not contaminate the pool water if you are not immersing your head at all.

I second this. Works great (not that I'm going to swim that much, but, you know...)

truepeacenik
February 4th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Please be aware that pools get contaminated by oils.

The therapy pool were I learn has a shower before entering rule, and NO oils.

I bun with an acrylic stick, and wash right afterward. When receiving work, all of my hair gets wet. Giving, all but an inch at the front.

I do a coconut or other absorbing oils prior to showering before class.
My hair is saturated that way and won't tend to uptake the water treatment, muratic acid and salt.