PDA

View Full Version : Trims every 6-8 weeks

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:19 AM
So, I hope I don't upset anybody by asking a question (is there a limit of how many threads you can make on a forum- I don't want to be a pain- but if I ask people I know these questions they don't get it like you guys do.

Basically my question is this: Should I have *not* stopped trimming my hair?

In 2012 I had my hair cut before Christmas or so all one length and then it was about sitting near the top of my chest and I hated it.

Hair is very important to me- so for the entire year until Feb the following year I didn't cut or trim once.

Except for September 2012 when I had long layers put in for a wedding a nothing cut at all apart from that.

I went to a party in Feb 2013 and my hair was super long- the longest it had been in a long time, but the ends were sparse so I went in for a trim Feb and listened to what the hair dresser had to say.

She was very nice and agreed to trim only not even a inch off to even out the ends.

From that moment on (as she set the appointment) I would come in every six weeks and have a less than a inch cut off without fail.

After a trims we bumped it to 8 weeks.

My hair looked healthier, seemed to be growing ever close to my chest and I was very happy.

Late last year I went without a trim once, panicked came back in, she said if you put it off any longer, we'll have to cut more off.

For the first time in my life I said NO just the very ends please.

She did and then I had a BIG drama with an iud which got expelled and that set me back $450 so I cancelled my hair appointment for December.

I have not gotten back onto the trimming every 6-8 weeks because she straightens my hair and then trim the ends perfectly, but it costs me $75 and my bf rips into me and says you're hair is fine.

So, I went until now, and unlike last year my hair feels a lot more split and white bulby again.

Should I go back to trimming all the time or not?

$75 every six weeks is a lot and now that I've left it I'm worried she'll say it's all split blah, blah, blah.

I felt the best about my hair when it was trimmed but is it too excessive specially for that amount?

I'm sorry for being a pain and posting a lot, but I'm saving up for a trip and if I go back to trimming I don't know if I should- does anyone here bother with frequent trims.

It did grow very nicely and it is finally at my chest, it took an entire year, but it's there.

So...shall I go back and get (not even an inch off) to feel better and resume the 6 weeks cut thing? Or not?

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 01:27 AM
$75?????? Is Australia that expensive? :p When I let my hair trimmed inhere I pay $18 :p

Anyway: back to the topic. You DON'T need to cut your hair every 6-8 weeks. You simply don't. Try to S&D every month or so and take really good care for your hair. Find out what your hair likes and dislikes. In this way you can postpone the hairdresser for at least a couple of months or even a year! You also could cut it yourself (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/), if you dare to do that.

SleepyTangles
February 3rd, 2014, 01:43 AM
If you haven't any damaging habits, like daily heat styling, chemical dyes and similar stuff, you probably don't need to trim so frequently, so don't worry about missing a session.
Maybe you can switch to self-trim? My pair of scissors is literally the best investment I have ever done for my hair. Its quite easy to learn to self trim decently, IMHO :).
(My hair is fine and damage prone, my favourite method is dusting once a month: i cut off few millimeters/less than half cm)

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:44 AM
Thanks Johannah, I was worried I was going to get yelled at for posting, but I'm obsessive about hair.

I want to get it trimmed when I get paid next because it feels better, and then leave it for ever long until I want to trim it again, but cutting it myself is something I couldn't do lol.

It's $75 because she washes it for me, straightens it the length it is (I only straighten my hair occasionally maybe once a week, as a treat, but not even that anymore) and then looks at the length dry, tapers the front slightly, cuts my hair bang/fringe (but's it's more past chin length now) and only evens up the back.

Because she does exactly what I pay her for, I don't mind the cost, but I gave it up because it's a lot of money and can be stressful to always know I have to always have the money ready and If I miss an appointment I feel like they have control over me.

I could have had my hair cut shorter if I had of listened to her when I skipped a trim, but I said no, because to me I just feel ****ty with my hair any shorter than BSL which only some pieces are.

But, I hate the while bulby bits and then split ends.

So, I was thinking trim now (it's been 3 months) and then maybe just decide to trim when I feel instead of sticking to what they say is right.

Has anyone made you cut your hair frequently?

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:45 AM
Thanks Johannah, I was worried I was going to get yelled at for posting, but I'm obsessive about hair.

I want to get it trimmed when I get paid next because it feels better, and then leave it for ever long until I want to trim it again, but cutting it myself is something I couldn't do lol.

It's $75 because she washes it for me, straightens it the length it is (I only straighten my hair occasionally maybe once a week, as a treat, but not even that anymore) and then looks at the length dry, tapers the front slightly, cuts my hair bang/fringe (but's it's more past chin length now) and only evens up the back.

Because she does exactly what I pay her for, I don't mind the cost, but I gave it up because it's a lot of money and can be stressful to always know I have to always have the money ready and If I miss an appointment I feel like they have control over me.

I could have had my hair cut shorter if I had of listened to her when I skipped a trim, but I said no, because to me I just feel ****ty with my hair any shorter than BSL which only some pieces are.

But, I hate the while bulby bits and then split ends.

So, I was thinking trim now (it's been 3 months) and then maybe just decide to trim when I feel instead of sticking to what they say is right.

Has anyone made you cut your hair frequently?

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks Sleepytangles- do you think I could get the one trim and then just play it by ear?

I just don't want to sit down and then be 'pressured' into cutting more off.

Yeah, my hair's not perfect, but I take pretty good care of it. So, to me I don't want to be pressured y'know.

Cutting I can't do it I'm chicken x

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:48 AM
Thanks Sleepytangles- do you think I could get the one trim and then just play it by ear?

I just don't want to sit down and then be 'pressured' into cutting more off.

Yeah, my hair's not perfect, but I take pretty good care of it. So, to me I don't want to be pressured y'know.

Cutting I can't do it I'm chicken x

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 01:49 AM
Why does it keep double posting? :( I look more obsessive than I am.

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 01:55 AM
I'm having problems with this website too. Am I the only one who can't log in sometimes/the site doesn't work? :/

ErinLeigh
February 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM
Since you like trims but now realize 8 weeks is probably not needed, maybe do something fun and cut seasonally?
I got these dates from this site as best dates to cut -

Best Days for Beneficial Haircutting in 2014
March 19-20 — Spring Equinox — are the best dates to cut for spring and the ultimate date for lengthening
June 21-22-23 — Summer Solstice — are the best dates to cut for summer.
September 26-27-28 — Fall Equinox — are the best dates to cut for fall.
December 17-18-19 — Winter Solstice — are the best dates to cut for winter.

I got these from this link. Its the Lunar calendar that offers best times to trim for certain attributes.
https://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-care

I am going to try this to reduce my cuts myself :)

Tini'sNewHair
February 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM
Bloody hell you are being ripped off big time here. This hairdresser is making awesome money of you, sorry to say that but thats how i see it. I live in Australia to and thats what they all tell me as well, I used to do it like you until i decided to grow my hair and discovered that you DONT need these money making trims if you actually want to grow in a decent amount of time! Phew! My last cut was in May 2012 (my hair then was shoulder length) and I havent even as much as dusted my ends since then and guess what? My hair is doing just fine! It has grown so much, im very close to waist now. I do however S&D every few weeks and I also use coconut oil on my ends but thats all the magic I use. I hope you see it a different way now and stop giving them your money!!! :)

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 04:38 AM
No Johannah you're not- i keep getting logged out too :(

I like that idea Erinleigh xx

redredrobin
February 3rd, 2014, 04:39 AM
I'm also feeling a bit sheepish about going back to my hairdresser, having not had a trim for a while. Like you, I think she might suggest that I need more than a trim. However, I know my hairdresser cares about the health of hair and would only say it because it's good advice IF you are not growing your hair/attached to length.

I will have to politely decline that I need any more than a small trim and maybe you could do the same - then you will be able to see if she just wants you to get loads of trims to make more money, or if she's happy to do whatever you like and just offered the frequent trims because most of her clients prefer that.

Also, $75 aud isn't a whole lot more than what I would pay for a wash, trim and blowdry (sadly!). I guess it depends where you live.

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 04:43 AM
Since you like trims but now realize 8 weeks is probably not needed, maybe do something fun and cut seasonally?
I got these dates from this site as best dates to cut -

Best Days for Beneficial Haircutting in 2014
March 19-20 — Spring Equinox — are the best dates to cut for spring and the ultimate date for lengthening
June 21-22-23 — Summer Solstice — are the best dates to cut for summer.
September 26-27-28 — Fall Equinox — are the best dates to cut for fall.
December 17-18-19 — Winter Solstice — are the best dates to cut for winter.

I got these from this link. Its the Lunar calendar that offers best times to trim for certain attributes.
https://www.morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-care

I am going to try this to reduce my cuts myself :)

Ooh ooh I used to do that! Thanks for bringing that up again :p

lapushka
February 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM
Cutting every 6 to 8 weeks is really unnecessary. You will be cutting your growth right off. Hair only grows about 1 inch a month (on average), so most certainly when going every 6 weeks, there goes most of your growth.

Try doing S&D missions instead.

You can easily go a year, or years without trimming, although a lot of folks around here trim a few times a year. Especially if you're using heat (and once a week is a lot even if you think it isn't), S&D and trimming regularly is important. Check your hair for damage (white dots or splits) and act accordingly.

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 07:20 AM
Cutting every 6 to 8 weeks is really unnecessary. You will be cutting your growth right off. Hair only grows about 1 inch a month (on average), so most certainly when going every 6 weeks, there goes most of your growth.

Try doing S&D missions instead.

You can easily go a year, or years without trimming, although a lot of folks around here trim a few times a year. Especially if you're using heat (and once a week is a lot even if you think it isn't), S&D and trimming regularly is important. Check your hair for damage (white dots or splits) and act accordingly.

Average is 0.5 inch a month :) Don't want to be annoying, but I'm just saying :p

Maktub
February 3rd, 2014, 07:44 AM
I love trimming my hair and have to control myself or else it wouldn't get longer :)
I encourage you to learn to self-trim (search Feye's Self-Trim Method) like many of us here. That way your trims are free and you can do them when you like.
As i have curly hair, I trim my hair wet (usually), so I don't have to straiten it first (less damage).

As for frequency, I agree with the seasonal trims. 4 times a year (about) does great at preventing damage for me and keeps my ends blunt and split free... and the length growing:)

If you want to trim more often, simply trim less off each time. Lots of people do "micro-trims" too, and simply "dusting" the ends.

And mentioned by others, S & D in between trims is great to catch damage higher up.

Best of luck and happy growing !

Theobroma
February 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Seconding the advice to learn to trim your own hair! You absolutely do not need to trim every six to eight weeks if you aren't doing damaging things to your hair, and if you're trying to grow longer, you shouldn't be trimming anywhere near as often as that! From your stylist's perspective it makes sense to tell you to come in that frequently -- after all, she makes her living by cutting hair. But if you aren't trying to maintain a short cut, why would you want to have it trimmed so much?

If I were you I'd invest in a good pair of hair scissors, which should cost rather less than a single salon appointment, and trim my own as needed. Which is to say, when you notice splits or when you think your hemline could do with neatening up. Then sit back and enjoy the growth. :)

lapushka
February 3rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Average is 0.5 inch a month :) Don't want to be annoying, but I'm just saying :p

Ya. Duh. I meant per 2 months (8 weeks)... Silly of me. :)

Wildcat Diva
February 3rd, 2014, 09:13 AM
If you straighten evey day, then straightening for a trim makes sense. If you wear it not straightened, with natural wave/ body... why would you want it trimmed straightened? It will be off kilter, no?

Liz_park
February 3rd, 2014, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=Browneyedbelle9;2633517]

Late last year I went without a trim once, panicked came back in, she said if you put it off any longer, we'll have to cut more off.

[QUOTE]

$75 for a trim every 8 weeks is highway robbery. I'm sorry but you are being brainwashed by this woman! I despise when hair stylists do this. This above quote sounds like she's manipulating you. Threatening that "we'll HAVE to trim more off if you don't come in every 8 weeks on the dot". It's a scam!

I advocate for self-trimming. Buy a nice pair of scissors for as little as $20 and use Feye's self trim method. It's really straight forward. I have been self-trimming for a year and my hair has never looked better.

If you absolutely do not want to self-trim, go to a men's barber and ask for a trim. It will cost $10-20.

Wildcat Diva
February 3rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=Browneyedbelle9;2633517]

[QUOTE]

If you absolutely do not want to self-trim, go to a men's barber and ask for a trim. It will cost $10-20.

I totally did that and it turned out lovely! I'm so going back... after I hit waist (a year and a half later from the first trim).

ETA: I know, pix or it didn't happen. Here was last year's barber shop trim (April). I know that I can make it without trimming another 6 to nine months from now past my waist length goal easily.
http://imageshack.com/a/img10/6047/photomar30144703.jpg

kganihanova
February 3rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
Can you self trim? I do every 8 weeks trims but i do them at home.

sumidha
February 3rd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Absolutely agree 100% with everyone else who says trim it yourself. You can get a nice pair of hair cutting scissors for half the price of one of your visits to the salon. Even if you don't feel comfortable doing a full trim yourself you can do regular S&D and only get a professional trim like twice a year. :)

I really like this method for trimming my hair, but there are others out there as well: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

spidermom
February 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
I go every 8 weeks but only because it's a fun outing that my daughter, granddaughter, and I do together as girls' day out in support of daughter's best friend, the hair stylist. When I was actively growing my hair, I'd ask her to only snip off the longest, driest ends, and that's what she did. I'd also have a conditioning treatment instead of a trim every few appointments.

Now I wear it shorter and layered, so it usually needs the re-shaping by 8 weeks.

It's very easy to trim your own hair. If no layers, divide down the middle in the back, keep your usual part in the front if you always part it in the same place or down the middle if you don't, comb each side smoothly and evenly forward to put together into a ponytail just under your chin. Comb the ponytail straight down and close a book over it. Keep the book level and slide it down toward the ends. Cut straight across the ends protruding from the bottom of the book. You could also use your fingers instead of a book, but I find the book easier. I have a child's small, hard-paged book that I used when I was doing self-trims.

I never could make Feye's method work; I always ended up with a pronounced slant of the ends from left to right - every single time.

YamaMaya
February 3rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
You need Feye's self trimming method. It's basically a fool proof method to get any hemline you want, if you want layers you can also look up the compact cut method.

AmyBeth
February 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
I also advise self-trim. As you can see from responses, most people who try it are happy with the results. It really isn't as big a deal as it sounds like. I know I was really nervous about it the first time, but it's really easy.

nobeltonya
February 3rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
I trim about every 2 weeks, but that's a bit excessive.. I'm just OCD about it. XD But I've also been able to trim my own hair for the last 3.5 years or so, since waist. But the cost of frequently going to the hairdresser [my hair grows pretty fast] was one of the biggest reasons I decided to stop going and just let my hair grow in the first place. I started at shoulder, and for the first few years, only trimmed once or twice a year.. then when I started doing it myself, the length b/w trims slowly decreased. But because of that, my ends are always healthy. :disco:

hypersensitive
February 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
If you are looking to grow your hair fast, then such frequent trimming will only cut off the new growth. One step forward, two steps backward.

I self trim every 6 months and my hair is fine. Self trimming gives you lots of control, does not cost you $75 every time, and you will not have to listen to that women patronize you.

jeanniet
February 3rd, 2014, 05:15 PM
If you're finding that many splits and damage after skipping one trim, it would probably be better to figure out how to lessen any damage rather than trimming more. For instance, are you using a flat iron when you straighten? If you are, and have been doing it weekly, that's definitely going to cause some damage and may be the reason for the splits you see. In other words, the trims are removing the damaged ends, but if you don't lessen the damage you may not be able to lessen the frequency of your trims. You really shouldn't have to trim that often, or if you do, remove just a very small amount (1/8-1/4"). It's much easier to control how much comes off if you trim it yourself, and it's not hard to do at all.

Kate199023
February 3rd, 2014, 06:46 PM

Don't feel bad I'm obsessive about my hair too. I'm overwhelmed as to what my hair needs and don't so don't feel bad.

Browneyedbelle9
February 3rd, 2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks Kate199023- I still don't know whether to trim it next week and then leave it for a while or keep trimming regularly so it feels healthier.

But you guys have all been so nice- my boyfriend doesn't really care about hair lol ;)

ErinLeigh
February 4th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I'm liking the barber suggestion.
I am another who went to a barber for trims. (when I did not have my layers)
$5!!! They will seem nervous at first but once you tell them just a straight line they relax. And in my experience they do not take to much off!

I cannot self trim as I have a head slant that I think is straight and never is, and using a ruler is too much work for me.
A barber may be your perfect trim solution.

ErinLeigh
February 4th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks Kate199023- I still don't know whether to trim it next week and then leave it for a while or keep trimming regularly so it feels healthier.

But you guys have all been so nice- my boyfriend doesn't really care about hair lol ;)

My bf does not care about hair either. His eyes glaze over like mine do when he talks about his guy stuff.
I could walk in bald I would get a "looks nice babe"
even when I had extreme damage from the keratin treatment he said "doesn't look bad" umm have you seen my pictures? yikes.

Browneyedbelle9
February 4th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Lol Erinleigh, I understand what you mean- he says he doesn't really care, but I know he does. ;)

I want to get my hair trimmed next week so I'll feel refreshed, but it's probably not best to fall into the trap of trimming every single 6-8 weeks.

I believe they charge $40 to straighten my hair and then it all gets bumped up because of that.

My mum says to me cut without straightening, but I treat myself AND the lady cuts it the way I like it.

I'm so stubborn everybody, I have taken on board everything you said and if I do decide to trim my hair next week, I'm not going to let her make me come back all the time.

QMacrocarpa
February 4th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I have split- and breakage-prone hair, and I never S&D, but I can happily stretch my (self-)trims to about 6 months. No way would I spend so much money to have all my new growth snipped off!

Firefox7275
February 4th, 2014, 08:59 PM
The flat ironing could be the CAUSE of the splits and white dots, not the solution. High temperatures or ironing on even slightly damp hair (may feel touch dry) can do irreparable damage in just one session (eg 'bubble hair').

I have my hair professionally trimmed when it needs it, anything up to every six months. That is when my ends start to look straggly or feel rougher but definitely before I have splits and white dots. I have a wet cut and no finishing after I have washed it myself and it cost under $10. My stylist will flat iron but steam comes off my hair even when it is dry so I never let her.

Browneyedbelle9
February 6th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Firefox7275 I only straighten my hair very rarely so I guess it's like a treat, and the healthyness of my hair definitely improved with regular trims, but my mum agrees that straightening it for $40 is ridiculous