PDA

View Full Version : What does your hair look like bare

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
What does your hair look like air dried with no leave ins, oils, cones etc.
Mine looks floaty, fluffy, see thru and wavy/frizzy.

My dream hair is hair that can be completely bare and non styled and still look amazing.
I don't know if this natural mess is due to hair type, haircut or damage or all three

Do any of you have hair that dries with zero leave in and still look wonderful? Wondering if I have a realistic goal or if I am doomed with this mess. I am curious to see what hair types/styles look well.

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 10:24 PM
I guess this would also mean a no cone shampoo and conditioner prior to air drying. I am trying to get an idea what product free hair can look like. I know regular conditioner alters as well but it doesn't mask as much as cones so that's more what I am searching for answers on

neko_kawaii
February 2nd, 2014, 10:26 PM
If I remember correctly my siggy pic meets your criteria.

trolleypup
February 2nd, 2014, 10:27 PM
*looks* piecey and clumpy but with better waves than after it gets detangled and combed out. After preening, looks just fine.

ETA: That is, just washed and air dried

spirals
February 2nd, 2014, 10:34 PM
I don't use styling products, but I leave my rinse in. It has marshmallow mucilage in it. If I didn't use that, my hair would be a frizzy, pouffy mess.

Loviatar
February 2nd, 2014, 10:34 PM
Mine is too short at the moment to look neat without aloe gel (growing out a pixie) but from what I remember of my 23" hennaed hair a while back, I look better product-free. I'll see if I can find you a picture from those days. If I don't aloe gel my bangs and ends at the moment I look like a surprised hedgehog :lol:

However, neatness aside, my hair looks pretty good washed and air dried. I use shampoo bars and citric acid rinse, no conditioner. So it would fit your criteria. I'll see if I can get a pic of that too from my photobucket site. You'll have to put up with my ends kicking out though.

I remember floaty, see through hair. Mine was all to do with layers and damage.

ETA: my avatar pic shows bare hair, no cones or leave in. But that's dye over dye over bleach over henna etc.... See the fuzzy, fluffy ends?

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 10:35 PM
The wild woman of Borneo!! Likely a mix of my wave pattern and colour treating, tho it did look distinctly triangular when I was a kid using nothing more than shampoo, rinse out conditioner and ... a brush.

Apparently two thirds of the world's population has wavy or curly hair so the potential for pouf without any conditioner or stylers just finger detangling is widespread. And of course just seeing shampoo'd hair is not seeing it truly natural: they all strip the natural 'conditioner' (sebum), most commercial ones remove structural lipids to some extent and affect the electrical charge on hair.

If you want tamed nekkid hair try water only or sebum only.

Long_hair_bear
February 2nd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Dry.... my hair hates winter with a terrible vengance! :hatchet:

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
The wild woman of Borneo!! Likely a mix of my wave pattern and colour treating, tho it did look distinctly triangular when I was a kid using nothing more than shampoo, rinse out conditioner and ... a brush.

Apparently two thirds of the world's population has wavy or curly hair so the potential for pouf without any conditioner or stylers just finger detangling is widespread. And of course just seeing shampoo'd hair is not seeing it truly natural: they all strip the natural 'conditioner' (sebum), most commercial ones remove structural lipids to some extent and affect the electrical charge on hair.

If you want tamed nekkid hair try water only or sebum only.

lmao dont want it all the time. hehe I wash daily so this would be a huge reversal :) Just beach season is coming back up and I always feel awkward when my air air drys in front of people and for some reason I seem to be the only poof head in the group so I wonder if people are spritzing secretly when I am not looking or if I just have ugly hair. I am going to start packing a mister with oils and conditioner to tame the beast. Two thirds with pouf and I don't know any..go figure.

Loviatar I think you nailed my issue with the layers and dye damage. I gotta grow these suckers out yet they save me from the triangle at my length so its a chicken or egg situation. Do the layers cause issues or do issues require layers?
Spirals - I feel better having good company :) Your hair is lovely.
And the rest of you perfect heads of air dried hair Neko and trolly... LUCKY. Congratulations. To me getting ready must be bliss when hair just does what it should :)

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 11:02 PM
long hair bear mine gets dry too. I am glad i learned about sealing.
Honestly naked hair is probably a bad idea for me considering my hair type. I just misted and oiled after thinking about it lol. i could hear the moisture sucking out.

trolleypup
February 2nd, 2014, 11:15 PM
And the rest of you perfect heads of air dried hair Neko and trolly... LUCKY. Congratulations. To me getting ready must be bliss when hair just does what it should :)
Also, coarse and very long, so not so much with the pouf action! When I was WO, I was closer to a 1c, but my hair dried the same way.

MaryO
February 2nd, 2014, 11:22 PM
I actually have no idea! I have always used coney conditioner so that is always there. if it weren't for the cones I would be wearing my hair bare all the time as I don't use anything else...

Loviatar
February 2nd, 2014, 11:23 PM
Loviatar I think you nailed my issue with the layers and dye damage. I gotta grow these suckers out yet they save me from the triangle at my length so its a chicken or egg situation. Do the layers cause issues or do issues require layers?
Spirals - I feel better having good company :) Your hair is lovely.

Layers are a pain for some. I guess I have them due to pixie grow out. I was advised by PurpleBubba (an old member on here) to micro trim the back and let the layers catch up. Thick blunt ends are more important to me at the moment than length so I'm doing that and it's working. I got my first goal which was 100% virgin hair. 2nd goal is blunt cut all over except bangs. 3rd goal is shoulder length. Goals 2 and 3 change places in my head a lot. :)

One of the things I learned by being away from LHC for a year is that I don't have ugly hair. You don't either. We both just don't have the hair we want right now. I spent a long time wanting other peoples hair. Now I just want mine to behave the way it looks best - which for me means all one length, blunt cut and past shoulders. Above shoulder and layers means my hair kicks out, misbehaves, and generally looks 'off'. The longer it gets the more well behaved and 'good' it looks. I hope that helps. Trolley pup has a good point about the weight pulling it down, too.

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 12:45 AM
It's a bit dry and sometimes fluffly, but actually like my avatar. :o

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 12:45 AM
I must say I brushed it, though!

durgidog
February 3rd, 2014, 12:59 AM
I just use mineral oil as a leave-in after a wash, sometimes I co-wash and sometimes low-poo. This pic is 2-3 days after a wash.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8546&d=1388900765

Teazel
February 3rd, 2014, 01:28 AM
This is my my "bare" hair: clarified, conditioned (no 'cones) and air dried with no detangling. These are, in fact, my hairtyping photos. They were taken a few years ago, my hair is longer and has more silver now. :wink:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9065&d=1391415117

I know what you mean about floaty fluffiness; I always got that as soon as I combed or brushed. I longed for my hair to form locks but it didn't happen until I found Lush Retread conditioner. :)

clioariane
February 3rd, 2014, 01:58 AM
Now that I don't dye or use heat-styling anymore my hair looks fine without products. I have very straight hair that doesn't need much maintenance, but it does get dry at the ends if I neglect it so I use weekly deep-conditioning masks. I don't have to do anything to it in the morning, I usually just put it up in a bun and go!

sarahthegemini
February 3rd, 2014, 03:12 AM
I would say the only difference between my bare hair and my hair with leave in conditioner in is simply more frizz when bare. A LI tames it. My hair is shiny bare and with conditioner, though sometimes my bare hair looks less shiny because some frizz covers it. Unfortunately my wave pattern varies after every bloody wash, my hair is so unpredictable!

Bagginslover
February 3rd, 2014, 03:30 AM
<-- like that. Its straight, no matter what I do :/

walterSCAN
February 3rd, 2014, 05:24 AM
<-- like that. Its straight, no matter what I do :/

Me too, no matter what I do. Mine looks like my avatar, though of course that had been bunned then let down again, so it has a vague wave.

Rio040113
February 3rd, 2014, 05:27 AM
I don't tend to use any styling products but I do oil, if I go without it's much the same, still soft and shiny, just slightly fluffier :) I left my hair bare the other day for the first time in a long time and I was pleasantly surprised by how soft it is actually without oil, I guess my routine is working well for me right now, yay.

MeowScat
February 3rd, 2014, 05:56 AM
My signature pic is my "naked" hair. No oils, cones, etc. Oh, and sulfate-free shampoo. It took a few years of growing and babying but it finally behaves much better.

Bagginslover
February 3rd, 2014, 05:56 AM
Me too, no matter what I do. Mine looks like my avatar, though of course that had been bunned then let down again, so it has a vague wave.

yep, straight, straight, straight. Only real difference to my avatar pic now is the colour, which is thanks to henna. My avatar was where I started though, and was my first typing pic.

ErinLeigh
February 3rd, 2014, 06:12 AM
my signature is naked..but blown dry on warm.
I will have to post a picture tomorrow of the difference when air dried. It is scary.

MeganE
February 3rd, 2014, 06:15 AM
I don't use cones, but I do use vinegar rinses, which I think does count as a leave in. I didn't have any oils in my hair when I took the pics in my signature, but I did brush and it was freshly washed. I think it will get better for you.

G1ll
February 3rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
My hair looks curly and quite fluffy, depending on the humidity it can be extremely frizzy as well.

Agnes Hannah
February 3rd, 2014, 06:32 AM
I prefer mine without cones, except on the ends as a sealant! But without anything on it, and air dried, it has body, it is soft and floaty, yes but the longer it gets, the better behaved it is.

Firefox7275
February 3rd, 2014, 08:08 AM
my signature is naked..but blown dry on warm.
I will have to post a picture tomorrow of the difference when air dried. It is scary.

Why do you use the word scary? It's so negative.

Many people have hair that does not naturally look remotely like a Pantene advert. Just because the media tries to brainwash us to associate the 'flat ironed into submission silicone slick' look with health doesn't make it in any way the truth. We link frizz with damage, when in fact it's very often wavy hair that has been treated insppropriately (especially brushed). There are threads over on Naturally Curly and here with before and after shots, hair going from dull and poufy to shiny and defined in a day or a couple of weeks based on little more than the flick of a brush or liberal use of a silicone free conditioner.

LHC and NC has taught me that I appreciate many lengths and many curl patterns, and that *most* people's natural healthy and well cared for hair actually looks way more like mine than a Pantene advert. It's taught me to LOVE my natural texture instead of fighting it or coveting someone else's constantly. It's taught me that mainstream haircare methods are geared to the straight hair that I just don't have: combing my hair doesn't smooth out frizz it increases it!!

Verdandi
February 3rd, 2014, 08:27 AM
My hair "bare" looks a little more dull (lacks shine) and more brown-ish and fly-away-y than my oiled hair, which is shinier and have a red-ish tone.
Cones make it look very shiny, but also so slippery it won't stay in any hairdo without hairspray, which I refuse to use if it's not a very special occasion, so the decision is easy for me.

Neneka
February 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mine is too always straight and sleek.

truepeacenik
February 3rd, 2014, 09:37 AM
Bun candidate. While it looks ok with "preening" as Trolleypup calls it, the ends are less than stellar.
No leave ins/cones/what have you but in braid or bun waves is fine.
Really the last several inches need their oil, for their health. Looks goes either way, some days they act like they read the Medusa story as a how-to.

NoRush
February 3rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Wiry, frizzy and sorta wavy, kinda shiny though but not really a pretty sight hehehe ;D

kganihanova
February 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Layers are a pain for some. I guess I have them due to pixie grow out. I was advised by PurpleBubba (an old member on here) to micro trim the back and let the layers catch up. Thick blunt ends are more important to me at the moment than length so I'm doing that and it's working. I got my first goal which was 100% virgin hair. 2nd goal is blunt cut all over except bangs. 3rd goal is shoulder length. Goals 2 and 3 change places in my head a lot. :)

One of the things I learned by being away from LHC for a year is that I don't have ugly hair. You don't either. We both just don't have the hair we want right now. I spent a long time wanting other peoples hair. Now I just want mine to behave the way it looks best - which for me means all one length, blunt cut and past shoulders. Above shoulder and layers means my hair kicks out, misbehaves, and generally looks 'off'. The longer it gets the more well behaved and 'good' it looks. I hope that helps. Trolley pup has a good point about the weight pulling it down, too.

Same here! I've been at BSLish forever because I'm trying to cut out my over layered ends before growing more. Layers solve issues at first and than cause them...

sumidha
February 3rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
I believe my avatar picture is my hair typing picture, so there's that... Without any product my hair looks ok, does the nice defined clumpy wavy thing, just don't try and touch it (straw) or do anything with it (unmovable tangles everywhere). I don't think I've ever even tried to brush out/detangle my hair in it's 'bare' state, if I succeeded I imagine it'd turn into a giant frizzy poof ball. :D

spidermom
February 3rd, 2014, 10:28 AM
I get a big cloud of fly-aways. Some would probably say frizzy, but I prefer to reserve that term for bad perms.

cathair
February 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
By those criteria it looks the same as it does every day :D Whether that is wonderful or not is a matter of opinion though :ponder: What else are you supposed to do it it? *giggle*

jacqueline101
February 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM
The picture of me on my photobucket album the one with 7 pictures. The pictures of me in my polka dotted bra after I trimmed my bangs. I did a treatment the day before( cholesterol and deep conditioner both rinse out) I did damp bun so it's wavy. Other then that there isn't any product. I don't use oils and I always air dry. I didn't put my shine spray on it.

ExpectoPatronum
February 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
When I was using conventional products, my hair with nothing in it was very poofy, frizzy, and dry. I started using shampoo bars and ACV rinses as my cleansing method and I'm finding that I don't really need products to have decent hair. I'm still in the experimenting phase with shampoo bars, but I'd like to move to an all natural hair care routine seeing as my skin has greatly benefited from me doing so.

Weewah
February 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
Mine's a frizzy, dried-out, tangly, poofy mess. I honestly think my life would be easier if I had more manageable hair, that's why I'm committed to learning about it and making it healthy now.

missbexy
February 3rd, 2014, 11:09 AM
I think my avatar picture was shampoo, conditioner and airdry but it is quite old and I might be wrong.

Aingeal
February 3rd, 2014, 11:25 AM
Two words: big...... frizz.

Anje
February 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Pretty much how it always looks. Sometimes I throw on a drop or two of oil, but bare is how my hair feels silkiest and best. By the time I weigh down the more determined frizzies, I tend to inflict myself with hair that looks piecey and in desperate need of washing, so I usually keep the halo of short hairs with curly ends over the alternative.

nobeltonya
February 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
It's not absolutely horrible, but I use shampoo and conditioner with cones [have to, otherwise it's straw-like], generally use leave-in, although I was able to comb it yesterday without.. it seems to be more sticky or velcro-y without leave-in. I only oil at night anyway, and wash it out in the morning. But if I go a few days w/o oiling, it gets thin, frizzy and dry. :disco:

Wosie
February 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Dry... Frizzy, untamed. Usually a few big waves. After I've brushed them out, it all turns into a rather frizzy cloud. (Note to self: stop combing/brushing after hair washes!)
Both of the pictures I've added to the 2014 Monthly Length Photo Project thread were taken right after a hair wash (just CO:ing, air drying, brushing). I think I won't brush it for March's picture, I'll just finger comb it instead, mayhaps with a tad of coconut oil. :o

DweamGoiL
February 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
This was when my hair was longer, but had no product in it:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/th_jan3-2002LongHair_zps53c68f65.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/jan3-2002LongHair_zps53c68f65.jpg.html)

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/th_jan1-2002LongHair_zps36fa0035.jpg (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/dweamgoil/media/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/jan1-2002LongHair_zps36fa0035.jpg.html)

definitely more floaty and if I even think about moisture, it will just frizz up.

rags
February 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Mine is baby fine and thin (i circumference). Naked, it is very, very "floaty". It will wrap around anything it can get it's little tentacles on! If there is a breeze, lots of separate hairs will float up EVERYWHERE. I use leave-ins for weight more than anything! Other than the fly-away floatys, mine looks pretty much like it always does. My siggy pic is "naked" (it's also about three years old - keep meaning to change it as my hair's at waist now!). My hair is floating in the (extremely slight) breeze though!

Mine does much better with length. It still floats, but it was just SCARY when it was short, all the ways it would flip out and float about! :p

MissHoney
February 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I didn't even know that could be possible. I don't see why I would ever try to do that, personally. Maybe if I grew my hair from scratch, never washing or combing it ever, but then like I said, why would I ever Try to do that. Lol

jrmviola
February 3rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
My Hair Typing pic, I dont think its even been Combed, Dont remember:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/539131_10100107119713741_1772614505_n.jpg

MadAddie
February 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Well that's me in my avatar, pic taken yesterday. My hair hasn't seen shampoo or conditioner or any other styling products for 5 weeks. Its virgin hair and just look at my dark roots... that would be the sebum ... lol. Im on a WO only journey.

Madora
February 3rd, 2014, 02:26 PM
What does your hair look like air dried with no leave ins, oils, cones etc.

My dream hair is hair that can be completely bare and non styled and still look amazing.
I don't know if this natural mess is due to hair type, haircut or damage or all three

Do any of you have hair that dries with zero leave in and still look wonderful? Wondering if I have a realistic goal or if I am doomed with this mess. I am curious to see what hair types/styles look well.

Here's a pic from a couple of years ago..not too far from a shampoo day:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/57114343inches.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/57114343inches.jpg.html)

I was using GM pink crème shampoo and GM conditioner at the time but nothing else. My hair is usually frisky as the devil and very, very soft after shampoo/ air drying. I also bbb my hair after it is completely dried.

G1ll
February 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM

Many people have hair that does not naturally look remotely like a Pantene advert. Just because the media tries to brainwash us to associate the 'flat ironed into submission silicone slick' look with health doesn't make it in any way the truth. We link frizz with damage, when in fact it's very often wavy hair that has been treated insppropriately (especially brushed). There are threads over on Naturally Curly and here with before and after shots, hair going from dull and poufy to shiny and defined in a day or a couple of weeks based on little more than the flick of a brush or liberal use of a silicone free conditioner.

LHC and NC has taught me that I appreciate many lengths and many curl patterns, and that *most* people's natural healthy and well cared for hair actually looks way more like mine than a Pantene advert. It's taught me to LOVE my natural texture instead of fighting it or coveting someone else's constantly. It's taught me that mainstream haircare methods are geared to the straight hair that I just don't have: combing my hair doesn't smooth out frizz it increases it!!

I couldn't agree more with what you've said. Beautifully put.

cathair
February 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/57114343inches.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/57114343inches.jpg.html)

I was using GM pink crème shampoo and GM conditioner at the time but nothing else. My hair is usually frisky as the devil and very, very soft after shampoo/ air drying. I also bbb my hair after it is completely dried.

:thudpile: Tis beautiful Madora <3

duchess67
February 3rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Wow! Madora, you have absolutely gorgeous hair! I've always wondered how your hair looked, since you give such valuable guidance to all of us who are trying to grow hair.

Madora
February 3rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
:thudpile: Tis beautiful Madora <3

Thanks, cathair. If the weather and my camera cooperate, I hope to have an up to date length pic in May.

SkyChild
February 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
My hair air dries with no product into a nice shiny wavy style. Not too frizzy but I brush through with a tangleteezer then it makes it shinier.
I think you need to get used to it being like that though. As compared to adverts, my hair probably looks pretty horrible. But in real life it's nice.

cathair
February 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks, cathair. If the weather and my camera cooperate, I hope to have an up to date length pic in May.

I hope the weather is on your side, I would love to see it :)

ErinLeigh
February 3rd, 2014, 05:09 PM

Yes I have waves. That accounts for frizz plus bleach. I say scary because I have these crazy layers that flip up in all directions. I really appreciate the encouragement very much though. I think hair will lay much better as the cut grows out. I spent a good amount of time looking at it yesterday and think cut is most of the problem.

Unfortunately my layers were cut to flip but its a cut for straight hair, not wavy. The layers leave some parts curly and some straight. It's doesn't blend well when air dried. I have been trimming the bottom since November but it will take a good year to get it right.
You will see! I am not washing until tomorrow but I will post the pic. These layers defy gravity! :)

ErinLeigh
February 3rd, 2014, 05:14 PM

WHAT? wow that is impressive. I am blown away by how good that looks. Thank you for sharing a picture.
Everyone has such lovely hair. You should all be very proud of your hard work and patience.

Magalo
February 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
I have both chemical/heat damage and old layers and I think my hair look good "naked". I never use leave-in or oils, and I use cone-free condish. Tomorrow is wash day and I'm due for a length pic anyway, I'll post it there if you want. :)

ErinLeigh
February 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
Pretty much how it always looks. Sometimes I throw on a drop or two of oil, but bare is how my hair feels silkiest and best. By the time I weigh down the more determined frizzies, I tend to inflict myself with hair that looks piecey and in desperate need of washing, so I usually keep the halo of short hairs with curly ends over the alternative.

I totally agree with your statement bare feels silkiest and best. For me that is true. I love the fresh clean feeling of nothing on my hair at all. I even did a post about it it feels so good. I love the lightness. However I have to blow dry to truly enjoy it.

I am the same way in that if I attempt to work with the frizz, I end up looking like I need to wash. I am way to heavy handed for my own good.
If I blow dry I can tame frizz and things look quite nice, but my fantasy hair is hair that dries naturally into something presentable. It is going to take me a while to get there but luckily I have this board to encourage me until I arrive.

Madora
February 3rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
This is my my "bare" hair: clarified, conditioned (no 'cones) and air dried with no detangling. These are, in fact, my hairtyping photos. They were taken a few years ago, my hair is longer and has more silver now. :wink:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9065&d=1391415117

I know what you mean about floaty fluffiness; I always got that as soon as I combed or brushed. I longed for my hair to form locks but it didn't happen until I found Lush Retread conditioner. :)

Oh, Teazel, what fantastic hair you have!

CurlyCap
February 3rd, 2014, 08:13 PM
I haven't taken a "bare" pic in ages. But here is my hair washed and conditioned, but no leave-ins.

As you can tell, there are lots of undefined hairs that aren't clumping....and this will lead to a tangled mess if not immediately cowashed. Also, the second picture is to show what I call the Curly Sign. The curls start right at the roots and are all different sizes. It's messy, but acts like most curly heads of hair.

http://i41.tinypic.com/qqtog0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hz3194.jpg

Compared to a pretty typical Tightly Curly routine:

http://i.imgur.com/cQW5gkg.jpg?2

TrapperCreekD
February 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM
Mine's wild, undefined, and FRIZZ if you touch it or look at it funny.

This is as naked as my hair gets - typing photo - clarified then conditioned(no cones).
http://i.imgur.com/hNGDVbb.png

Compared to this, pre wash, shampoo, conditioner, leave in, FSG. It's still a slightly damp so the camera's making it look a bit off.
http://i.imgur.com/TLyaRTV.png

mamaherrera
February 3rd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Mine also gets poofy, but more or less defined ringlets. But then the next day after sleeping in a braid, the ringlets are totally flat, no air, and it looks like I lost half my hair overnight, all because the air got plastered out!!

Vampyria
February 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM

Mine fits your description (see my signature picture). I'm not sure if it's been combed here or not, but I usually have more frizz than waves anyway. Especially the above layer looks really see through and fluffy and just kind of sticks out, which is not that visible on the picture. When blow dried it looks less messy, but has less volume also. I don't have damage and I have bangs and face framing layers. But it's pretty short, so I think that this contributes a bit as well.

0xalis
February 4th, 2014, 01:31 AM
wavy, dry, and frizzy! and that's usually what I put up with after every wash :( [The wavy part is nice, the dryness and frizziness is not!]

Teazel
February 4th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Aw, thank you very much, Madora! :flowers:

Soltimus
February 4th, 2014, 02:52 AM
I don't really use many products so my hair is mostly in its "natural" state. After washing it's very wavy but the waviness goes as bit as my hair dries. I think, ha ha. No frizz, though, which is nice. It actually behaves quite well. My only real problem is dry ends.

Sammich
February 4th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Without my weave... it's chin length, the top layers of my hair are still awful and need cutting off but I'm keeping them to hide my weave. >>;x

vickinight
February 4th, 2014, 03:09 AM
This is a good thread topic, OP.

This will be from my waist-length days but I think I understand what you mean about the lightness and fluffiness. Both that the clean, light feeling was enjoyable and also that the fluffiness could be hard to deal with.

Air-dried in a loose bun on top of head after shampoo & conditioner:
http://s1.postimg.org/y4yk4f6un/hair_volume_anonymized.jpg

2 days after:
http://s18.postimg.org/6b3dz2pmx/hair_smoother_anonymized.jpg

Back then, I didn't use any product but what I think was happening was that the natural oils were coming back after 2-3 days, which is about how often I would wash it. Just by that, my hair would go from giant to flat. I don't know if it would be flatter if I didn't dry it in a bun as I don't recall ever not tying it up while it dried (because I wanted to prevent water dripping on my body from the hair as it dried).

My current hair is quite short and growing out choppy and I definitely do not have the right kinds of pics on hand for this topic! If I do take pics, I will return and report back!

Stray_mind
February 4th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Mine would be tangled and wavy I guess. Though I've never tried not using any product... Maybe I should do it and see the result..

Firefox7275
February 4th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Yes I have waves. That accounts for frizz plus bleach. I say scary because I have these crazy layers that flip up in all directions. I really appreciate the encouragement very much though. I think hair will lay much better as the cut grows out. I spent a good amount of time looking at it yesterday and think cut is most of the problem.

Unfortunately my layers were cut to flip but its a cut for straight hair, not wavy. The layers leave some parts curly and some straight. It's doesn't blend well when air dried. I have been trimming the bottom since November but it will take a good year to get it right.
You will see! I am not washing until tomorrow but I will post the pic. These layers defy gravity! :)

Eep, you are making me think of some poor wavies and curlies that had their hair razored and thinned.

Will your layers lay better with the Curly Girl method? Many wavies find their unruly flicks tame with this, even with a less than optimal cut. Another option would be a curly specialist cut from a stylist sympathetic to your length goals. I've heard of some who only had the smallest amount removed for major strides in manageability.

Robot Ninja
February 4th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Frizzy, and tangly if it's completely naked, ie clarified and with no conditioner. It dries frizzy even with conditioner and oil, unless I damp-bun or sleep on it.

cat11
February 4th, 2014, 03:40 PM
It gets tangly very easy and it is HUGE. It just puffs off my head and frizzes everywhere and it's quite unmanageable and lightweight. Fine flyaways..

Ambystoma
February 4th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Here's mine 'conefree and with no leave-ins, just a plain shampoo/condish routine with day 3 hair. I let it airdry, then misted it with rosewater and put in some sponge curlers, it doesn't make those nice ringlets on it's own! :laugh:
http://i.imgur.com/jwVBAsa.jpg

It's fine without 'cones, but with them it's heaven to care for - almost zero tangles, fly away baby hairs behave nicely most of the time, and it straightens it out quite a bit which for me is great since I'm not a fan of my natural "beachy" type waves :couch:

schnibbles
February 4th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I'll play... I posted this pic already on the BSL to Waist thread, but this is my hair in it's completely natural state. Freshly washed, air dryed, no leave-ins, no silicones, not combed out or brushed.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/P1241779_zps6e2d1ac5.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/Buttercup_9/media/P1241779_zps6e2d1ac5.jpg.html)

Here is day 2 hair (not washed) after combing and brushing... I don't use any products but there's probably some Nightblooming Triple Moon oil on it:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/Buttercup_9/P2041807_zpsbf8b364f.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/Buttercup_9/media/P2041807_zpsbf8b364f.jpg.html)

I didn't use the flash in either pic.

DweamGoiL
February 4th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I haven't taken a "bare" pic in ages. But here is my hair washed and conditioned, but no leave-ins.

As you can tell, there are lots of undefined hairs that aren't clumping....and this will lead to a tangled mess if not immediately cowashed. Also, the second picture is to show what I call the Curly Sign. The curls start right at the roots and are all different sizes. It's messy, but acts like most curly heads of hair.

http://i41.tinypic.com/qqtog0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hz3194.jpg

Compared to a pretty typical Tightly Curly routine:

http://i.imgur.com/cQW5gkg.jpg?2

OMG, CurlyCap!!! Meet your new hair stalker :thudpile: I love love love your curls!